Manulife Financial

Manulife Financial Employee Reviews

Micromanaged and Difficult to advance career
Short Term Disability Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON13 June 2016
I had worked with Manulife for a number of years and although I was constantly pursuing career advancements and taking courses to do so, it was near impossible. The company itself hires non-employees before they take internal applications because of salary expectations. In addition, salary levels were difficult to advance even with a new role due to ranges and lateral moves. Otherwise, I met some great people, they had a wonderful work-life balance and cafeteria was good.
Pros
Good cafeteria, nice people, good benefits
Cons
Non competative salaries, unsupported by HR, minimal promotional opportunities
Mediocre management and company culture
Wholesaler (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC27 October 2016
Management tends to hide mistakes by lying. A company culture based on the blaming of others...Great quote from a VP at this company when he had to downsize 40% of his department. "this will make my job easier..."
Pros
good benefits
Cons
bad management
good place to work
IT Support (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 January 2017
good place to work, great colleagues, good work life balance. corporate culture but good benefits. experience depends on the group you work with.
Great Place to work
Sr. Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 September 2016
Great Place to work overall....
Good benefits, employee retention, and Work life balance makes it an awesome company to work with.
Manulife
Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON7 October 2016
Great place to work; excellent benefits to work from home. Women progressing in the workplace; interesting new products being launched in the market.
good company with nice benefits
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON22 July 2016
good company with nice benefits, hard to go up and poor internal culture. If you wanna learn more from the job this is not a good choice.
Manulife Financial was an excellent place to work in.
Travel Claims Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 December 2016
The people were friendly to work with and the variety of work welcomed.

I worked daily with AWD queues. I would check my work entered in the queue by the Supervisor and work in date order.

I learned how to work with an AWD queue and about the travel claim industry. I highly recommend obtaining travel insurance for every trip taken.

Management was friendly and caring.

The hardest part of the job was not having any phone work as I worked mainly from the AWD queue.

However, it was very interesting to learn a new aspect of office work being the AWD system.
Pros
Independence, regular meetings
Cons
Having no access to phone work with customers.
Manulife
Insurance Claim Adjudicator (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS4 March 2016
Great place to work, relaxed yet professional environment, wonderful people, fair pay, very flexible scheduling, wonderful benefits.
I learned a lot about Insurance, Medical Terminology.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the ability to work from home during bad weather, and the ability to self manage, very independent position.
Pros
Flexibility, Salary, Management
Cons
Politics
Huge Organization with lot of good, hardworking and intellectual people working in it.
Project Lead /Senior (IT) Project Control Officer (Current Employee) –  toront11 December 2016
1. Starts a day with meetings and ends up with meetings. Lots of interaction with Business folks and the Project team.
2. Learned lots from this organization; PM skills, Insurance business 101.
3. Very helpful and motivating co - workers.
4. Talking to the senior management the progress of the project as it brought more in-depth knowledge about the insurance industry
My overall working experience at Manulife was very good.
Analyst, Administration, Risk Management (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC31 August 2016
- Analyzed and made recommendations on the quality of operational transactions. Managed controls on Anti-Money Laundering (AML). Monitor Retail Markets;
- Administrative Systems, Coaching, Microsoft Office Suite, Data Entry, Documentation, Workflow Planning, Time Management, Controls;
- Worked with a wonderful group of colleagues, including my Manager
- Quarter-end required the most out of me but always submitted control and quality results to Management on time;
- I enjoyed my work; and, the Team I worked with and the work ethic surroundings, enhanced my enjoyment.
New Culture is losing Core Manulife Values
Investment Finance and Operations (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 November 2016
Manulife culture used to reflect my own personal values: professionalism, pride, customer focus, employee appreciation, a togetherness bond. It is no longer the same with new leadership because everyone is coming from different direction and NEW so it is lost in translation.
Pros
Stable LifeCo. Foundations are there. Engine intact.
Cons
Very political. Cut throat mentality. Leaders can't be trusted. Two faced.
Strong and competitive in group pensions industry
Director Operations (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 February 2016
Strong focus on detail and accuracy.
Good career advancement opportunities.
Strong in leadership training.
Strong international footprint.
Strong corporate values and very active in the community.
Pros
Benefits and compensation
Cons
Very competitive at higher management levels
There is no typical day
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 December 2016
There is no typical day as an EA, you must always be ready to respond to the needs and wants of your team. You must also be able to anticipate what is coming down the pipeline in order to head off problems before they become problems.
Pros
good work life balence
A Mixed Bag
Brand Marketing Analyst (Current Employee) –  500 King16 December 2016
Manulife is what you make of it.

If you are the type to show up and shrivel behind your monitor, you will not have a good time at Manulife, because nobody is going to force you out of that.

The people are all so wonderful and so helpful, there are social events happening all the time, there are so many great causes for you to get involved in and flex time is amazing.

So it can either be a place where you thrive and expand your realm of experiences or it can be the place where you sit in a grey box and work all day.

It's totally up to you.
Excellent corporate culture and values
Software tester (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON20 June 2016
- Excellent corporate culture and values.
- I am a well respected employee, where my skills and opinions are valued by senior management.
- The company's values perfectly align with my own, where the customer is at the center of all that we do.
- They provide the facilities needed to get the job done - so nothing could be really classified as difficult.
- I fully support the day to day operations, enjoyed how management allowed autonomy in the workplace and encouraged employees to find efficiencies within their roles.
Pros
Godd customer experience
Cons
Archaic thinking
Flexibilty
Senior Compensation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 December 2016
Manulife is a great place to work. I enjoy that they allow and trust their staff to work remotely. This allows for great life balance. I have more time to do the things I want, instead of spending additional hours on the road into the office.

Manulife is well known in the community and the volunteer opportunities are endless.

The people at Manulife are mostly friendly and social. Even though we work remotely, we still speak to each other on the phone or through Skye each day.
Pros
Work Remotely
Cons
Dated Systems
Many departments to move around to gain lots of experience
Administrative Assistant (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 November 2016
Great place to work with lots of opportunity for hard working people. Management truly values individual contributions and the rewards are based upon individual contributions and successes. The more you achieve, the better the rewards.
Pros
Great loaction
Cons
There are no cons
Great environment to work in and career growth opportunities
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 August 2016
As a Retention Team Lead some of my duties included coaching and monitoring staff to preform there best at daily duties, training new employees and reporting. Over my time in this position I learned a great deal such as budgeting, forecasting, reporting and how to motivate a team to exceed targets. My team and co workers were always a pleasure to work with and also motivated me to do my best as they believed in me and my ability to lead my team to successes. Although not everyday was easy at the other some days were challenging with deadlines and service levels to hit. What made those days a bit easier to pass was the great team of employees I had working for me, as they showed me over the last year that my hard work paid off as we exceeded targets.
I would encourage anyone to work for Manulife
Business Analyst - Life New Business Operations (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 February 2016
Manulife is an excellent company to work for. They have a balanced work to life program in place that includes work from home options. They are very fair and competitive within the market with concerns to both salary and benefits.
Productive and stable work environment
Inside Wholesaler (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 December 2016
Great work environment with a lot of learning opportunities in the investment world. Unfortunately limited possibility of growth and carrier advancement.