Manulife Financial Employee Reviews in Canada

Professional Work Environment
IT CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 20, 2016
AS with many large companies Manulife is currently outsourcing much of their work. This presented many challenges but was well managed by staff and management.
Excellent corporate culture and values
Software tester (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJune 20, 2016
- Excellent corporate culture and values.
- I am a well respected employee, where my skills and opinions are valued by senior management.
- The company's values perfectly align with my own, where the customer is at the center of all that we do.
- They provide the facilities needed to get the job done - so nothing could be really classified as difficult.
- I fully support the day to day operations, enjoyed how management allowed autonomy in the workplace and encouraged employees to find efficiencies within their roles.
Pros
Godd customer experience
Cons
Archaic thinking
Micromanaged and Difficult to advance career
Short Term Disability Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJune 13, 2016
I had worked with Manulife for a number of years and although I was constantly pursuing career advancements and taking courses to do so, it was near impossible. The company itself hires non-employees before they take internal applications because of salary expectations. In addition, salary levels were difficult to advance even with a new role due to ranges and lateral moves. Otherwise, I met some great people, they had a wonderful work-life balance and cafeteria was good.
Pros
Good cafeteria, nice people, good benefits
Cons
Non competative salaries, unsupported by HR, minimal promotional opportunities
Fun workplace
FINANCIAL REPORTING ANALYST(Contract) (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJune 12, 2016
I like working at Manulife, I like the flexible hours, working from home,nice working environment, good culture, always update employees with new projects
Pros
Flexible
Cons
some time work load is too much
Manulife takes good care of its people. Employee contributions are recognized and rewarded accordingly.
Head of Corporate Solutions, Agency Channel (Former Employee) –  PhilippinesJune 4, 2016
Manulife is a good place to build your career. The company values its employees as much as they value their customers. With its dynamic people, professional culture and word-class customer service, employees feel proud that they are part of this well known company.
It was a great experience
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 26, 2016
It was a great experience. I was very lucky to work there, its a great place to work. I wish them all the future success. The hours are great, it is very professional, and its a supportive environment.
Changed in management
Client Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 24, 2016
The work environment changed from extremely well to extremely tense after the integration. A manager is very important. The new manager does not trust our work, and was micro managing caused everyone to be on their edge.
Pros
Work hour
Cons
unfair manager
Good company
Securities Administration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bloor, Toronto, ONMay 24, 2016
Busy day everyday
Cash movements and stock reconciliation
Good management
Helpful and good working environment
Volume of work
Attending the company's special events
Pros
Enjoyable environment, nice working place especially the garden
Cons
Productive workplace with a vibrant atmosphere
Actuarial Co-op Student, Canadian Division VST (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 16, 2016
The most enjoyable part of this job was the fact that a lot of my fellow coworkers were fairly young (early-mid 20s) which created a very supportive culture. At times, I felt that the work I was given could be a bit more challenging though.
Challenging work and great people
SALES SUPPORT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ONMay 2, 2016
I very much enjoyed getting to know all of the financial advisors on my team and supporting them in all of their administrative needs.
I loved being a part of a growing team and having input on processes and procedures. And although the work could be repetitive and tedious at times the people I worked with made it worthwhile.
Pros
Office Location, Excellent Cafeteria
Cons
Working from Home Flexibility
Excellent
Senior Business and IT Project manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 20, 2016
Great company to work. Excellent training and growth prospects.

Co workers very supportive

Too many management changes
Pros
Co workers very supportive
Cons
Too many management changes
Great Place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 19, 2016
The option that you can work from home is great, If you dont mind being on the phones all day everyday, then its a great place to work
Interactive Summer Student Position
Disability Administrator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONApril 9, 2016
This was a great summer student position that allowed me to learn crucial information about the medical and disability fields. I worked hand in hand with the medical team to oversee long term disability cases as well as work on different projects that enhanced my computer and administrative skills.

The management levels are well organized and try to incorporate every employees best skills.
Professional work place
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  250 Bloor street EastApril 7, 2016
I enjoyed my time at Manulife Financial. I learned a lot about Risk Management and Disaster Recovery. My co-workers were always very professional.
A good all rounded organization to work for
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 4, 2016
The morning is easy going in the initial stages then it picks up quickly and the remaining day is engaging

I learned the nitty-gritty aspects of insurance

Cool Management

Friendly Atmosphere
Pros
Nice Cafeteria
great people
Senior Project Manager (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 31, 2016
Manulife treats employees with respect and compassion. During my 1.5 year contract with Manulife I was treated like a permanent employee. The work/life balance was excellent as well as the people were great to work with and for. To me Manulife is all about the people.
Great working environment
Compliance Admin (Former Employee) –  200 Bloor Street EastMarch 21, 2016
An excellent place to work at. Full of talent and highly responsible and accommodating colleagues with a lot of scope of learning new things.
Cares about its employees
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 18, 2016
Cares about its employees, limited growth opportunities however. Corporate culture is good with frequent and in-depth updates on company health, communication is excellent.
Demanding and Rewarding job role
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMarch 17, 2016
Learned important information regarding procedures related to life insurance and investments. High volume call center with rewarding tasks. Developed excellent organizational and customer service skills.
Pros
Continuous training
Cons
Difficult customers
Flexible company but slow to change
Director (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 12, 2016
With the work smart program there is a lot of flexibility to work from home if your role can allow for it. People are generally nice and friendly. Opportunities are there since it is such a large company. Can move within departments and divisions and get a very broad learning experience.

Being a very traditional company, there is not a lot of knowledge on how to adopt new technology and frameworks. There is a lot of indecisiveness about which direction to go and multiple levels of approvals are required to take even one small step forward. They want to change this, but who knows how long it will take.
Pros
work life balance, diverse job opportunities
Cons
difficult to move up, company slow to change