Manulife Financial

Manulife Financial Employee Reviews

Manulife
Insurance Claim Adjudicator (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSMarch 4, 2016
Great place to work, relaxed yet professional environment, wonderful people, fair pay, very flexible scheduling, wonderful benefits.
I learned a lot about Insurance, Medical Terminology.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the ability to work from home during bad weather, and the ability to self manage, very independent position.
Pros
Flexibility, Salary, Management
Cons
Politics
Strong and competitive in group pensions industry
Director Operations (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 2, 2016
Strong focus on detail and accuracy.
Good career advancement opportunities.
Strong in leadership training.
Strong international footprint.
Strong corporate values and very active in the community.
Pros
Benefits and compensation
Cons
Very competitive at higher management levels
Flexible company but slow to change
Director (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 12, 2016
With the work smart program there is a lot of flexibility to work from home if your role can allow for it. People are generally nice and friendly. Opportunities are there since it is such a large company. Can move within departments and divisions and get a very broad learning experience.

Being a very traditional company, there is not a lot of knowledge on how to adopt new technology and frameworks. There is a lot of indecisiveness about which direction to go and multiple levels of approvals are required to take even one small step forward. They want to change this, but who knows how long it will take.
Pros
work life balance, diverse job opportunities
Cons
difficult to move up, company slow to change
An organization not really changing itself
Director (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 16, 2015
Long hours and often senior management is not effectively communicating with their staff and / or amongst themselves. A lot of money and effort spent to be able to say there is culture change, but its mostly to meet board level governance requirements. Too many AVPs and VPs that care more about rising thru the ranks than doing the right work and working with their teams to get better results.
I would encourage anyone to work for Manulife
Business Analyst - Life New Business Operations (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 3, 2016
Manulife is an excellent company to work for. They have a balanced work to life program in place that includes work from home options. They are very fair and competitive within the market with concerns to both salary and benefits.
Great environment to work in and career growth opportunities
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 25, 2016
As a Retention Team Lead some of my duties included coaching and monitoring staff to preform there best at daily duties, training new employees and reporting. Over my time in this position I learned a great deal such as budgeting, forecasting, reporting and how to motivate a team to exceed targets. My team and co workers were always a pleasure to work with and also motivated me to do my best as they believed in me and my ability to lead my team to successes. Although not everyday was easy at the other some days were challenging with deadlines and service levels to hit. What made those days a bit easier to pass was the great team of employees I had working for me, as they showed me over the last year that my hard work paid off as we exceeded targets.
My overall working experience at Manulife was very good.
Analyst, Administration, Risk Management (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCAugust 31, 2016
- Analyzed and made recommendations on the quality of operational transactions. Managed controls on Anti-Money Laundering (AML). Monitor Retail Markets;
- Administrative Systems, Coaching, Microsoft Office Suite, Data Entry, Documentation, Workflow Planning, Time Management, Controls;
- Worked with a wonderful group of colleagues, including my Manager
- Quarter-end required the most out of me but always submitted control and quality results to Management on time;
- I enjoyed my work; and, the Team I worked with and the work ethic surroundings, enhanced my enjoyment.
Micromanaged and Difficult to advance career
Short Term Disability Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJune 13, 2016
I had worked with Manulife for a number of years and although I was constantly pursuing career advancements and taking courses to do so, it was near impossible. The company itself hires non-employees before they take internal applications because of salary expectations. In addition, salary levels were difficult to advance even with a new role due to ranges and lateral moves. Otherwise, I met some great people, they had a wonderful work-life balance and cafeteria was good.
Pros
Good cafeteria, nice people, good benefits
Cons
Non competative salaries, unsupported by HR, minimal promotional opportunities
Excellent corporate culture and values
Software tester (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJune 20, 2016
- Excellent corporate culture and values.
- I am a well respected employee, where my skills and opinions are valued by senior management.
- The company's values perfectly align with my own, where the customer is at the center of all that we do.
- They provide the facilities needed to get the job done - so nothing could be really classified as difficult.
- I fully support the day to day operations, enjoyed how management allowed autonomy in the workplace and encouraged employees to find efficiencies within their roles.
Pros
Godd customer experience
Cons
Archaic thinking
A good all rounded organization to work for
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 4, 2016
The morning is easy going in the initial stages then it picks up quickly and the remaining day is engaging

I learned the nitty-gritty aspects of insurance

Cool Management

Friendly Atmosphere
Pros
Nice Cafeteria
Cares about its employees
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 18, 2016
Cares about its employees, limited growth opportunities however. Corporate culture is good with frequent and in-depth updates on company health, communication is excellent.
great people
Senior Project Manager (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 31, 2016
Manulife treats employees with respect and compassion. During my 1.5 year contract with Manulife I was treated like a permanent employee. The work/life balance was excellent as well as the people were great to work with and for. To me Manulife is all about the people.
Excellent corporate culture and values
Director, Business Continuity Management (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 3, 2015
Excellent corporate culture and values: I am a well respected leader, where my skills and opinions are valued by senior management. The company's values perfectly align with my own, where the customer is at the center of all that we do.
Very busy place to work. Always changing
Training and Documentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONOctober 22, 2015
Good work place with supportive management. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them. The office started to get crowded as the company grew.
Pros
Management is supportive
Cons
co-works are very siloed thinking, lots of work - employees are maxed
I am a dynamic and results oriented professional with a successful track record. I have consistently met and exceeded project timelines
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 2, 2016
Typical day at work is managing project
I learned that its vital to gather requirements early in the project
Management is excellent
My co-workers are excellent
Hardest part of the job is saying no
Manulife takes good care of its people. Employee contributions are recognized and rewarded accordingly.
Head of Corporate Solutions, Agency Channel (Former Employee) –  PhilippinesJune 4, 2016
Manulife is a good place to build your career. The company values its employees as much as they value their customers. With its dynamic people, professional culture and word-class customer service, employees feel proud that they are part of this well known company.
Productive, Good training provided, goood teamplayers
Customer service Agent (Former Employee) –  MontrealSeptember 16, 2015
Professional place to work with Internal/External clients, Advisors, other staff of Manulife from other locations.
DEvelopped good customer experience at Reception.
enjoyed working alongside colleagues.
Not satisfied salarywise-role was changed to a more challenging and stressful one but no salaryraise.
Pros
Godd customer experience
Cons
We cannot accelarate some proceedures which was not in my hands
Challenging work and great people
SALES SUPPORT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ONMay 2, 2016
I very much enjoyed getting to know all of the financial advisors on my team and supporting them in all of their administrative needs.
I loved being a part of a growing team and having input on processes and procedures. And although the work could be repetitive and tedious at times the people I worked with made it worthwhile.
Pros
Office Location, Excellent Cafeteria
Cons
Working from Home Flexibility
Best time of my life
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 30, 2015
I had the best time of my life here. The staff and management were simply AWESOME. There was so much state of the art, work to be done, that we could not get enough of it.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Long Hours
Great internship with a great company
Legal Counsel, Institutional Law and Compliance (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCAugust 23, 2016
I worked as an intern at DT Group and was privileged to obtain experience implementing a legal, risk and compliance Product Integrity Strategy throughout all four Nordic countries.