Manulife Financial

Manulife Financial Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Manulife
Insurance Claim Adjudicator (Former Employee), Halifax, NSMarch 4, 2016
Pros: Flexibility, Salary, Management
Cons: Politics
Great place to work, relaxed yet professional environment, wonderful people, fair pay, very flexible scheduling, wonderful benefits.
I learned a lot about Insurance, Medical Terminology.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the ability to work from home during bad weather, and the ability to self manage, very independent position.
Strong and competitive in group pensions industry
Director Operations (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 2, 2016
Pros: Benefits and compensation
Cons: Very competitive at higher management levels
Strong focus on detail and accuracy.
Good career advancement opportunities.
Strong in leadership training.
Strong international footprint.
Strong corporate values and very active in the community.
I would encourage anyone to work for Manulife
Business Analyst - Life New Business Operations (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 3, 2016
Manulife is an excellent company to work for. They have a balanced work to life program in place that includes work from home options. They are very fair and competitive within the market with concerns to both salary and benefits.
Productive, Good training provided, goood teamplayers
Customer service Agent (Former Employee), MontrealSeptember 16, 2015
Pros: Godd customer experience
Cons: We cannot accelarate some proceedures which was not in my hands
Professional place to work with Internal/External clients, Advisors, other staff of Manulife from other locations.
DEvelopped good customer experience at Reception.
enjoyed working alongside colleagues.
Not satisfied salarywise-role was changed to a more challenging and stressful one but no salaryraise.
hard working environment
Director, Global Program Office (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 11, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: archaic thinking
high level of demands on employees. good benefits. not well organized however autocratic management style. some management is very bright and articulate. ideas need to be more modern and forward thinking.
Flexible company but slow to change
Director (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONMarch 12, 2016
Pros: work life balance, diverse job opportunities
Cons: difficult to move up, company slow to change
With the work smart program there is a lot of flexibility to work from home if your role can allow for it. People are generally nice and friendly. Opportunities are there since it is such a large company. Can move within departments and divisions and get a very broad learning experience.

Being a very traditional company, there is not a lot of knowledge on how to adopt new technology and frameworks. There is a lot of indecisiveness about which direction to go and multiple levels of approvals are required to take even one small step forward. They want to change this, but who knows how long it will take.
An organization not really changing itself
Director (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 16, 2015
Long hours and often senior management is not effectively communicating with their staff and / or amongst themselves. A lot of money and effort spent to be able to say there is culture change, but its mostly to meet board level governance requirements. Too many AVPs and VPs that care more about rising thru the ranks than doing the right work and working with their teams to get better results.
A sweatshop work environment
Case Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 8, 2015
Pros: Decent starting salary ~$45k/year
Cons: Unpaid overtime; burnout
Manulife does not pay overtime, yet will expect you to work 45-60 hours a week on your own time. They keep you on contract for a minimum of a year (meaning no benefits, no vacation, no sick days, etc), most people on contract for 1.5-2 years before getting permanent. They fire contract workers who refuse to work unpaid overtime. Rather than pay overtime or hire more people, they keep teams understaffed and bleed out every dollars worth of labour they can get from you then if/when you burnout, they fire you or you quit. The turnover for STD Case Managers is comparable to Wal-Mart, yet at Wal-Mart at least you get benefits.

Manulife was once a great company to work for, however now they have become just another ruthless and unappreciative financial company that doesn't respect it's workers.

Also, all new workers are hired on by different agencies. We found out people were getting paid between $30k to $45k for the exact same job depending which agency they were hired with. Manulife doesn't ensure equal salary.
Productive workplace
Medical Tele-interviewer (Current Employee), Halifax, NSJuly 16, 2015
Pros: VIP bonus
Cons: Hours they are open
Professional environment.
Good team work.
Extra training available when needed.
Good benefits.
In this job we take inbound calls from clients to book their medical interview appointments, we make calls out to clients and complete the interviews on the phone.
I like how there are no "cold calls" to clients, they are expecting our call.
great people
Senior Project Manager (Contract) (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONMarch 31, 2016
Manulife treats employees with respect and compassion. During my 1.5 year contract with Manulife I was treated like a permanent employee. The work/life balance was excellent as well as the people were great to work with and for. To me Manulife is all about the people.
A good all rounded organization to work for
Administrator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 4, 2016
Pros: Nice Cafeteria
Cons: Nothing
The morning is easy going in the initial stages then it picks up quickly and the remaining day is engaging

I learned the nitty-gritty aspects of insurance

Cool Management

They provide the facilities needed to get the job done - so nothing could be really classified as difficult

Friendly Atmosphere
depending on the department: flexible hours
Claims analyst (Former Employee), Montreal, QCJune 16, 2015
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: too far from my home
I loved working for this company. The hours were flexible and the salary was very competitive. I learned a lot about group benefits. They provide excellent training.
Best time of my life
Systems Administrator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 30, 2015
Pros: Staff
Cons: Long Hours
I had the best time of my life here. The staff and management were simply AWESOME. There was so much state of the art, work to be done, that we could not get enough of it.
A good place for work-life balance
Quantitative Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 4, 2015
Pros: work life balance
Cons: not a place to study a lot
A good place to work. Co-workers are nice, not very busy and good job security. The company cares much about employees' work-life balance.
amazing company
Help Desk (Former Employee), Montréal, QCJuly 9, 2015
Pros: benefits, time-offs, sometimes free lunch
i really enjoyed my work with manulife. very generous in benefits package & vacation days off. would come back for manulife in a flash.
I am a dynamic and results oriented professional with a successful track record. I have consistently met and exceeded project timelines
Project Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 2, 2016
Typical day at work is managing project
I learned that its vital to gather requirements early in the project
Management is excellent
My co-workers are excellent
Hardest part of the job is saying no
Very busy place to work. Always changing
Training and Documentation Specialist (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONOctober 22, 2015
Pros: Management is supportive
Cons: co-works are very siloed thinking, lots of work - employees are maxed
Good work place with supportive management. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them. The office started to get crowded as the company grew.
Interactive Summer Student Position
Disability Administrator (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONApril 9, 2016
This was a great summer student position that allowed me to learn crucial information about the medical and disability fields. I worked hand in hand with the medical team to oversee long term disability cases as well as work on different projects that enhanced my computer and administrative skills.

The management levels are well organized and try to incorporate every employees best skills.
Excellent corporate culture and values
Director, Business Continuity Management (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 3, 2015
Excellent corporate culture and values: I am a well respected leader, where my skills and opinions are valued by senior management. The company's values perfectly align with my own, where the customer is at the center of all that we do.
Cares about its employees
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 18, 2016
Cares about its employees, limited growth opportunities however. Corporate culture is good with frequent and in-depth updates on company health, communication is excellent.
Headquarters