Reporting to Senior Manager, Culinary Operations, The Executive Sous Chef is responsible for every aspect of the casino’s kitchen operation, including: developing and enforcing food & beverage standards, providing quality food service to all guests and staff, training and educating, overseeing the culinary team, developing marketing strategies and cost saving techniques, while delivering exceptional customer service and maintaining alignment with the overall vision and strategic plan of MLC. This incumbent develops standards and objectives, and is accountable for departmental performance and continuous improvement of department processes and efficiencies.
- Direct involvement in preparation and production of food by filling in for absent staff and as training time with cooks.
- Responsible for multiple food outlets, all with diverse menus.
- Ensure consistently excellent staff cafeteria menu, presentation and food quality.
- Ensure buffet selection, quality and presentation is to be consistently changing.
- Develop and maintain current standard items, recipes, menu and costing for the Food and Beverage department.
- Monitor and achieve budgeted food and labor costs.
- Provide special menu quotes to Hospitality staff for Multi-Purpose Room functions and events.
- Ensure 100% food quality and presentation throughout Food and Beverage
- Develop and monitor employee performance objectives.
- Complete and conduct employee performance appraisals.
- Coach and counsel staff in accordance with department and organizational policies & procedures, and provide performance development guidance and direction.
- Act on Workers’ Compensation issues and respond to general health and safety issues and inquires by staff and customers and forward to Health and Safety for further investigation.
- Hire and retain staff. Work collaboratively with Human Resources on recruitment and selection teams.
- Resolve department issues, provide guidance and direction and ensure positive morale and motivation of all employees.
- Develop effective and efficient staff schedules to meet the requirements of business fluctuations, company and staff needs.
- Ensure all MLC policies and procedures are understood and adhered to by all department employees.
- Provide approval/denial of Discretionary Leave Time (DLT) and may provide input into the approval of time-off or leave requests.
- Maintain and model excellent customer service.
- Maintain the Service Promise and Standards at all times.
- Coach and counsel staff in accordance with department and organizational policies and procedures and provide performance development guidance and direction.
- Encourage a climate that supports diversity.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Post-secondary education in Culinary Arts or a related discipline is required, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Red Seal Certification.
- Specific training in human resource management and financial management.
- Basic skills in using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook).
- Four to seven years’ experience working in a Chef capacity, with knowledge of all types of food preparation and all areas of the restaurant business. (i.e. banquets and buffets).
- The incumbent must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated management experience with the ability to analyze and solve problems independently using good judgment, strong leadership and organizational skills, adoption of best practices, strong initiative and ability as a self-starter, excellent human resource management and labour relations skills, and planning and managing budgets.
- Continuous on-the-job learning is required to keep abreast of changes in the industry.
- The core competencies for this position include customer service, teamwork and cooperation, interpersonal communication, written communication, self-development and initiative, valuing diversity, integrity and building trust, achieving quality results, technical/professional knowledge. These competencies are deemed important for the success of the position and organization.
- Bilingual (French/English) language skills.
- A Food Handlers certificate and WHMIS training; however, may be acquired on the job
All Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries employees may apply; however following the selection process where the scores are relatively equal (i.e. within 5 points) the Collective Agreement that covers the individual and classification will be the determining factor in the selection process.
Salary: $26.10 - $32.61 per hour (Teamsters)
Location: Club Regent Casino
Indeed - 18 months ago