Manitoba Hydro Employee Reviews in Canada

Glad to work here gained a lot of practical experience
PLT apprentice/Summer Student (Former Employee) –  variousJuly 5, 2016
- Retrieve job to be accomplished, Ensure equipment is ready to perform tasks, Gather Materials, Build/Salvage/Test/Operate.
-I learned to troubleshoot well
-Co-workers were mostly good
-The hardest part of the job was the commute
-The most enjoyable part of the job was building something that is going to be used by everyone.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Was finding it hard to see any future in advancment
meeting new people everyday
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 6, 2016
It was good working at the Manitoba Hydro building, because I got to meet new people, learn different things, and build a strong friendship with the other employees that work in the same building as I do.
Hard work and always outside
Power Line Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 5, 2016
Lots of travelling, paid training, long hours and tight knit team work.
Get to operate lots of equipment, always working outside in all weather.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Lots of travelling and long hours away from home
Excellent company to work for, great benefits
Admin Rep (Current Employee) –  ProjectsDecember 25, 2015
I have always been happy working here and have been lucky that the company has always supported any special requests for work arrangements - job share, telecommuting, flex time. This is a huge benefit when raising a young family and there is some flexibility in your work schedule.

Many benefits and retirement options.
Laid back attitude
Co-op Engineer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, Manitoba, CanadaDecember 9, 2015
Stable Job. Good people. But very laid back. Hydro monday's off are a nice plus. Very large company and its easy to be overlooked
MB Hydro was a good place to work and was very safety oriented
Storekeeper II (Former Employee) –  Selkirk, MBDecember 8, 2015
No two days were alike. Work was always interesting and never dull. Gained a lot of experience with getting to know how a generating station was operated as a whole.
Working along side with mechanics, electrician and operators of the work groups. Hardest part of the job was grinding the runners down in the scroll case after the welders did their welding tasks.
Best part of the job was the variety of work on a daily basis.
Fun place to work
Summer Student/Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Gillam, MBSeptember 8, 2015
Manitoba hydro is a good place for students to work, during the summer and make some decent money.
its a friendly environment with lots of opportunities to learn new skills
Great place to work and great people too.
Construction Inspector (Former Employee) –  KeewatinohkAugust 6, 2015
I did a four month internship there last winter and enjoyed it. I worked with great people and my supervisor was fantastic. I hopefully I look forward to working there again soon.
Pros
Free breakfast, lunch and dinner
Excellent Workplace
Engineering Intern - Distribution Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 31, 2015
Manitoba Hydro is the best place to work if you're willing to stay in the City of Winnipeg. It has the best benefits I have ever researched. The bonus 'Hydro Monday's' is incredible.
Pros
Hydro Mondays
Cons
Internal Politics and Little Room for Growth and Advancement Within Company
Excellent company to work for.
Various (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 13, 2015
Working for Manitoba Hydro for over 37 years allowed me to experience a variety of job roles from shooting pool in a camp rec centre, to developing a storekeeper training program and a whole lot in between. With a 'Safety First' culture encouraged and observed from the executive office to the remotest field locations this is one of the best companies in Canada to work for.
Pros
exceptional and varied opportunities, great work culture
I love working outside in all weather conditions.
Power Line Technician (PLT) (Former Employee) –  southern ManitobaJanuary 28, 2015
I really enjoyed working with all employees and management i had the opportunity to meet.
Excellent staff
Summer Student/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Dauphin, MBSeptember 30, 2014
Was a summer student for Manitoba Hydro in Dauphin, Manitoba. Duties included helping trades people and general labour duties.
Manitoba Hydro - Winnipeg
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, ManitobaAugust 9, 2014
Excellent environment to work in. Very hard place to get into even though if on a contracted position.
I enjoyed the working environment and hope that I get a chance to permanently work at this company.
Pros
great pay, great benifits, great salary
Cons
very hard place to get into. big competition.
Fun workplace, fast paced environment.
Drafting Student (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 4, 2014
Typical day at work was to process easement drawings and hydro purchases. You would usually produce multiple drawings per easement file. Through this job I have learned greater understanding in Civil 3D. Management was very laid back, and good and fast work was appreciated.
Pros
good salary, good hours, good enviornment
Cons
repetitive work, a lot of data entry
Great company to work for, great work life balance
Construction Testing Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 30, 2014
I enjoyed my experience with Manitoba Hydro. The job brought me to places that I never thought I'd be. Very adventurous and had a great time
good experience
GIS Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 5, 2014
A lot of GIS knowledge learnt and very beneficial. Worked in office only and the office hours were flexible.

very friendly people as co-workers and very helpful when unsure of anything
Pros
good experience
Cons
only office work
Too many office politics
Administrative Rep (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, ManitobaMarch 3, 2014
Impossible to move up within the company. Too much favoritism and doesn't allow others to move up within the company.
accommodating and pleasant workplace
Safety/Environment Officer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rosser, MBMarch 2, 2014
Dorsey C.S. is a large station so there is an array of duties throughout the year which prevents the job from becoming tedious. Some of my duties included, aiding in reports and briefs, station assessments (continual improvement of environmental and human safety concerning hazardous materials), presentations, etc. Management was easy going, and my co-workers were fun to work with, making the atmosphere an enjoyable one.
Pros
mondays off
Cons
there are boring moments where work slows down
Productive and fun place to work
Summer Student - Financial Markets Department (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 14, 2014
Enjoyed my time at Manitoba Hydro. I learned a lot and worked with great co-workers.
healthy work environment, professional people.Clean and organized
Reproduction Operator Level (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg,ManitobaMarch 30, 2013
Organizing, archiving and retrieving company records for the department as required.
We had five different sections in our department. Each month we would rotate sections. In a typical day I would microfilm account payable, retrieve drawings, make c size prints, work in the darkroom or microfilm the drawings. I also answered the phone and took orders for drawings etc.
We would get new equipment all the time and I would learn how the operate it. When I worked here there were courses on how to communicate and dealing effectively with fellow employees, other departments were our customers.

The management was excellent. They encouraged me to take courses, continue learning and challenge myself continually. This company believed in their employees and it showed.
Pros
hour lunches, great benifits

4.2