Manitoba Hydro Employee Reviews

Fast paced
Student Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 October 2016
Great working team to deal with. Flexible work hours and challenging work, enjoyed the work-life balance my department gave. A lot of autonomy with multiple hard deadlines.
Friendly work environment and uphold diversity.
Mechanical Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 October 2016
I have worked at the hydroelectric construction site, project planning and currently as a maintenance engineer. A typical work day is usually busy such as providing engineering assistance to the field workers, visiting sites and attending both internal and external meetings.

I have learnt new ways of getting things done, better ways of managing subordinates and best practice cost reduction strategies.

Excellent coworkers that fit perfectly well as a team. The hardest part of the job is supporting the electric and natural gas franchise of the company. The most enjoyable part of the job is the yearly performance increment.
Pros
Hydro Mondays every two weeks
Cons
None for now
Excellent station crew that worked and helped one another
Licensed Power Electrician/Operator (Former Employee) –  Gillam, MB28 September 2016
- typical day was nine hours long that included completing work package for the day with two fifteen minute breaks and one 30 minute lunch break
- I learned the skills of power electrician and station operator that required working both independently and with a team to achieve a certain goal
- management was able to supply the tools and resources necessary to complete job tasks
- fellow staff were amazing to work with as we worked together as a cohesive unit complete with mutual respect
- the hardest part of the job was the isolation in northern manitoba
- completing your task for the day and going home safely was the most enjoyable part of the job
Pros
Burger Day Appreciation Days
Cons
Long hours when working on weekends (12 hrs+)
Good Company
Administrative Representative (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 September 2016
Better environment or workplace to work. Have a good benefits. Safe workplace. Nice employees and co-workers. No any kind of discrimination in the workplace.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Too expensive for parking lot
fun, always learning, nice staff all around
Assistant Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 August 2016
Have daily tail gate meetings every morning at 6:30am. Discuss hazards, weather, details about work in the day. we then head out and grab our equipment and head to our job site for the day and carry out our gps centre line staking.
Pros
gas cards, food provided, nice hotels, meet lots of people
Cons
long hours, sometimes get placed in a room with other workers.
Glad to work here gained a lot of practical experience
PLT apprentice/Summer Student (Former Employee) –  various5 July 2016
- Retrieve job to be accomplished, Ensure equipment is ready to perform tasks, Gather Materials, Build/Salvage/Test/Operate.
-I learned to troubleshoot well
-Co-workers were mostly good
-The hardest part of the job was the commute
-The most enjoyable part of the job was building something that is going to be used by everyone.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Was finding it hard to see any future in advancment
meeting new people everyday
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 April 2016
It was good working at the Manitoba Hydro building, because I got to meet new people, learn different things, and build a strong friendship with the other employees that work in the same building as I do.
Hard work and always outside
Power Line Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 March 2016
Lots of travelling, paid training, long hours and tight knit team work.
Get to operate lots of equipment, always working outside in all weather.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Lots of travelling and long hours away from home
Excellent company to work for, great benefits
Admin Rep (Current Employee) –  Projects25 December 2015
I have always been happy working here and have been lucky that the company has always supported any special requests for work arrangements - job share, telecommuting, flex time. This is a huge benefit when raising a young family and there is some flexibility in your work schedule.

Many benefits and retirement options.
Laid back attitude
Co-op Engineer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada9 December 2015
Stable Job. Good people. But very laid back. Hydro monday's off are a nice plus. Very large company and its easy to be overlooked
MB Hydro was a good place to work and was very safety oriented
Storekeeper II (Former Employee) –  Selkirk, MB8 December 2015
No two days were alike. Work was always interesting and never dull. Gained a lot of experience with getting to know how a generating station was operated as a whole.
Working along side with mechanics, electrician and operators of the work groups. Hardest part of the job was grinding the runners down in the scroll case after the welders did their welding tasks.
Best part of the job was the variety of work on a daily basis.
Fun place to work
Summer Student/Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Gillam, MB8 September 2015
Manitoba hydro is a good place for students to work, during the summer and make some decent money.
its a friendly environment with lots of opportunities to learn new skills
Great place to work and great people too.
Construction Inspector (Former Employee) –  Keewatinohk6 August 2015
I did a four month internship there last winter and enjoyed it. I worked with great people and my supervisor was fantastic. I hopefully I look forward to working there again soon.
Pros
Free breakfast, lunch and dinner
Excellent Workplace
Engineering Intern - Distribution Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 May 2015
Manitoba Hydro is the best place to work if you're willing to stay in the City of Winnipeg. It has the best benefits I have ever researched. The bonus 'Hydro Monday's' is incredible.
Pros
Hydro Mondays
Cons
Internal Politics and Little Room for Growth and Advancement Within Company
Excellent company to work for.
Various (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 February 2015
Working for Manitoba Hydro for over 37 years allowed me to experience a variety of job roles from shooting pool in a camp rec centre, to developing a storekeeper training program and a whole lot in between. With a 'Safety First' culture encouraged and observed from the executive office to the remotest field locations this is one of the best companies in Canada to work for.
Pros
Exceptional and varied opportunities, great work culture
Cons
I love working outside in all weather conditions.
Power Line Technician (PLT) (Former Employee) –  southern Manitoba28 January 2015
I really enjoyed working with all employees and management i had the opportunity to meet.
Excellent staff
Summer Student/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Dauphin, MB30 September 2014
Was a summer student for Manitoba Hydro in Dauphin, Manitoba. Duties included helping trades people and general labour duties.
Manitoba Hydro - Winnipeg
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, Manitoba9 August 2014
Excellent environment to work in. Very hard place to get into even though if on a contracted position.
I enjoyed the working environment and hope that I get a chance to permanently work at this company.
Pros
Great Pay, Great Benifits, Great Salary
Cons
Very hard place to get into. Big competition.
Fun workplace, fast paced environment.
Drafting Student (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 July 2014
Typical day at work was to process easement drawings and hydro purchases. You would usually produce multiple drawings per easement file. Through this job I have learned greater understanding in Civil 3D. Management was very laid back, and good and fast work was appreciated.
Pros
Good Salary, Good Hours, Good Enviornment
Cons
Repetitive Work, a lot of Data Entry
Great company to work for, great work life balance
Construction Testing Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 June 2014
I enjoyed my experience with Manitoba Hydro. The job brought me to places that I never thought I'd be. Very adventurous and had a great time

4.3