Manitoba Hydro Employee Reviews

Ecellent opportunities
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB, Selkirk MB9 January 2017
Great place to work.
Always forward thinking and supportive of your career path.
Provided opportunity and advancement.
Good company benefits.
Enjoyed the opportunity to travel within Manitoba.
Would recommend to anyone wanting local career.
Great place to work.
Student (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 December 2016
Wonderful benefits and a very accommodating workplace. Many organizational changes happening right now however, still a great place to work. One of Canada's top 50 employers.
Excellent station crew that worked and helped one another
Licensed Power Electrician/Operator (Former Employee) –  Gillam, MB28 September 2016
- typical day was nine hours long that included completing work package for the day with two fifteen minute breaks and one 30 minute lunch break
- I learned the skills of power electrician and station operator that required working both independently and with a team to achieve a certain goal
- management was able to supply the tools and resources necessary to complete job tasks
- fellow staff were amazing to work with as we worked together as a cohesive unit complete with mutual respect
- the hardest part of the job was the isolation in northern manitoba
- completing your task for the day and going home safely was the most enjoyable part of the job
Pros
Burger Day Appreciation Days
Cons
Long hours when working on weekends (12 hrs+)
Good Company
Administrative Representative (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 September 2016
Better environment or workplace to work. Have a good benefits. Safe workplace. Nice employees and co-workers. No any kind of discrimination in the workplace.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Too expensive for parking lot
Good people, poor wages
Technical Support Student (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 February 2017
The work culture was great. Good atmosphere to work. Everyone was extremely helpful. The wages were sub par and there is not much room for advancement
Friendly work environment and uphold diversity.
Mechanical Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 October 2016
I have worked at the hydroelectric construction site, project planning and currently as a maintenance engineer. A typical work day is usually busy such as providing engineering assistance to the field workers, visiting sites and attending both internal and external meetings.

I have learnt new ways of getting things done, better ways of managing subordinates and best practice cost reduction strategies.

Excellent coworkers that fit perfectly well as a team. The hardest part of the job is supporting the electric and natural gas franchise of the company. The most enjoyable part of the job is the yearly performance increment.
Pros
Hydro Mondays every two weeks
Cons
None for now
good place to work
millwright/station operator (Former Employee) –  various stations in manitoba5 December 2016
was able to gain alot of education from the company. there was alot of room for advancement if one so desired. hardest part of the job was to appease the egos of the majority of the co-workers and deal with favortisim as well as the risk of being shipped away from your family to maintain employment.
Fast paced
Student Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 October 2016
Great working team to deal with. Flexible work hours and challenging work, enjoyed the work-life balance my department gave. A lot of autonomy with multiple hard deadlines.
fun, always learning, nice staff all around
Assistant Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 August 2016
Have daily tail gate meetings every morning at 6:30am. Discuss hazards, weather, details about work in the day. we then head out and grab our equipment and head to our job site for the day and carry out our gps centre line staking.
Pros
gas cards, food provided, nice hotels, meet lots of people
Cons
long hours, sometimes get placed in a room with other workers.
Great Place depending on Location
Mechanical Operating Technician (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 January 2017
Every work location is different within the company, some better than others. The pay makes up for the bad ones. Good time off if you enjoy shift work. Plenty of room to move around the corp.
Excellent company to work for, great benefits
Admin Rep (Current Employee) –  Projects25 December 2015
I have always been happy working here and have been lucky that the company has always supported any special requests for work arrangements - job share, telecommuting, flex time. This is a huge benefit when raising a young family and there is some flexibility in your work schedule.

Many benefits and retirement options.
Glad to work here gained a lot of practical experience
PLT apprentice/Summer Student (Former Employee) –  various5 July 2016
- Retrieve job to be accomplished, Ensure equipment is ready to perform tasks, Gather Materials, Build/Salvage/Test/Operate.
-I learned to troubleshoot well
-Co-workers were mostly good
-The hardest part of the job was the commute
-The most enjoyable part of the job was building something that is going to be used by everyone.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Was finding it hard to see any future in advancment
healthy work environment, professional people.Clean and organized
Reproduction Operator Level (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg,Manitoba30 March 2013
Organizing, archiving and retrieving company records for the department as required.
We had five different sections in our department. Each month we would rotate sections. In a typical day I would microfilm account payable, retrieve drawings, make c size prints, work in the darkroom or microfilm the drawings. I also answered the phone and took orders for drawings etc.
We would get new equipment all the time and I would learn how the operate it. When I worked here there were courses on how to communicate and dealing effectively with fellow employees, other departments were our customers.

The management was excellent. They encouraged me to take courses, continue learning and challenge myself continually. This company believed in their employees and it showed.
Pros
hour lunches, great benifits
I enjoy my job
Mechanical Technician (Current Employee) –  Great Falls, MB25 October 2016
I enjoy my job with Manitoba hydro, my favorite part is the challenges I face day to day and how rewarding it is when those challenges are over come as a team
Excellent Workplace
Engineering Intern - Distribution Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 May 2015
Manitoba Hydro is the best place to work if you're willing to stay in the City of Winnipeg. It has the best benefits I have ever researched. The bonus 'Hydro Monday's' is incredible.
Pros
Hydro Mondays
Cons
Internal Politics and Little Room for Growth and Advancement Within Company
Hard work and always outside
Power Line Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 March 2016
Lots of travelling, paid training, long hours and tight knit team work.
Get to operate lots of equipment, always working outside in all weather.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Lots of travelling and long hours away from home
Fun workplace, fast paced environment.
Drafting Student (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 July 2014
Typical day at work was to process easement drawings and hydro purchases. You would usually produce multiple drawings per easement file. Through this job I have learned greater understanding in Civil 3D. Management was very laid back, and good and fast work was appreciated.
Pros
Good Salary, Good Hours, Good Enviornment
Cons
Repetitive Work, a lot of Data Entry
Manitoba Hydro - Winnipeg
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, Manitoba9 August 2014
Excellent environment to work in. Very hard place to get into even though if on a contracted position.
I enjoyed the working environment and hope that I get a chance to permanently work at this company.
Pros
Great Pay, Great Benifits, Great Salary
Cons
Very hard place to get into. Big competition.
meeting new people everyday
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 April 2016
It was good working at the Manitoba Hydro building, because I got to meet new people, learn different things, and build a strong friendship with the other employees that work in the same building as I do.
Reproduction Operator Level III (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg,Manitboa27 August 2012

It has been a while since I worked there and I can’t think of anything that was negative about this position. I enjoyed learning new equipment and taking courses. Overall everything.
Pros
job security

4.3