Manitoba Hydro Employee Reviews

Going downhill
Certified MB Power Electrician Journeyman (Former Employee) –  Manitoba11 October 2017
MB Hydro is going downhill. There is way too many management at all levels and not enough workers. They have brought in anonymous "Snitch Line" so coworkers can report on others anonymously or about management etc. Management does not trust their workers, and they are trying to scale back their work force. The company is extremely indebted due to mismanagement and political intervension. The pay, hours and benefits are about the only decent thing going here.Most coworkers are pretty good. Proceed with caution though with this company and trust no-one especially mgmt!
Pros
Benefits, pay
Cons
Toxic culture
Loved my career.
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Thompson, Manitoba North9 September 2017
I can say that I really enjoyed my career with Manitoba Hydro. I would go so far so say that I loved my job. I did a lot of helicopter flying, boating, ski-dooing, float plane flying. I learned responsibility and how to work with others and how to get the most out of my crew. I had some of the best management personnel that I knew. My work[lace was very diversified. The hardest part of the jobe was leaving due to retirement.
Pros
Everything was geared to the employee.
Cons
No cons.
Pretty easy job, requires lots of walking
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 August 2017
good place to work. pretty straight forward job. read electric and gas meters. typical day starts at the office to receive your assignments/routes for the day, then you drive out to your area start reading meters.

you don't really have a lunch hour so you have to eat on the go and you don't really get any breaks during the day, but you can work at your own pace.
Compliance Officer (Current Employee) –  Gillam, MB11 July 2017
Like working with family, lots of support. It has always been a fun place to work, at least for me. There is no reach beyond a person desire to climb as high as they want to,

Set your goals, apply your energies and you will accomplish what you set out to do,
Pros
Great standard of life
Cons
The company is always in a state of flux
great place to work
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Manitoba11 July 2017
Manitoba Hydro is a great place to work and there is a lot of opportunities to learn and advance your career and skill set. the work atmosphere is friendly, productive and rewarding with a many interesting projects.
IT Help Desk Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 July 2017
Great place to work, avarage pay, great management.
While I was employed there was more work than time and a few of the things I was promised fell by the wayside, but all in all a good place to work.
Pros
Culture, people, management
Cons
Promises from interview not lived up to
Best company to work for
CO-OP Student Helpdesk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 June 2017
The company and it's employees are the very good. The environment and worf force are very supportive, positive and blends together well. Everyone is very professional.
Great work environment.
Powerline Technician (Former Employee) –  Manitoba6 June 2017
Started my career with manintoba hydro is a labourer. I then worked my way up and started and apprenticeship with in the lines trade. Really enjoyed my job and the people I worked with.
productive and fun place to work.
Manitoba - Student worker (Utility Worker) (Former Employee) –  Gillam, MB18 April 2017
what i learned about this job is that it gives you variety jobs so you can learn different skills. for example i was cutting grass but there was days i was pulling up nails. most enjoyable part of this job is that i got to try various of different things, not just one thing every day.
Pros
learning various skills
Cons
na
Challenging work.
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 April 2017
Manitoba Hydro is not a bad place to work. The work was challenging and the salary was reasonable. It was a short bus ride away and we got every second Monday off.

Want to know more about Manitoba Hydro?

Ask a question
Productive and positive work environment
Repair Technician (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, Manitoba6 March 2017
I work everyday starting from 730-355 pm I working hard throughout the day and meet all work requirements as expected. I get along very well with co-workers to have a satisfying work relationship
Pros
Positive environment
Cons
Isnt close to home
Good people, poor wages
Technical Support Student (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 February 2017
The work culture was great. Good atmosphere to work. Everyone was extremely helpful. The wages were sub par and there is not much room for advancement
Great!
Engineering Aid II, Coop Student (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 January 2017
Manitoba Hydro is diverse and challenging. There are plenty of opportunities for both summer students and permanent employees. They treat their employees very well.
Great Place depending on Location
Mechanical Operating Technician (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 January 2017
Every work location is different within the company, some better than others. The pay makes up for the bad ones. Good time off if you enjoy shift work. Plenty of room to move around the corp.
Ecellent opportunities
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB, Selkirk MB9 January 2017
Great place to work.
Always forward thinking and supportive of your career path.
Provided opportunity and advancement.
Good company benefits.
Enjoyed the opportunity to travel within Manitoba.
Would recommend to anyone wanting local career.
Great place to work.
Student (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 December 2016
Wonderful benefits and a very accommodating workplace. Many organizational changes happening right now however, still a great place to work. One of Canada's top 50 employers.
good place to work
millwright/station operator (Former Employee) –  various stations in manitoba5 December 2016
was able to gain alot of education from the company. there was alot of room for advancement if one so desired. hardest part of the job was to appease the egos of the majority of the co-workers and deal with favortisim as well as the risk of being shipped away from your family to maintain employment.
I enjoy my job
Mechanical Technician (Current Employee) –  Great Falls, MB25 October 2016
I enjoy my job with Manitoba hydro, my favorite part is the challenges I face day to day and how rewarding it is when those challenges are over come as a team
Fast paced
Student Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 October 2016
Great working team to deal with. Flexible work hours and challenging work, enjoyed the work-life balance my department gave. A lot of autonomy with multiple hard deadlines.
Friendly work environment and uphold diversity.
Mechanical Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 October 2016
I have worked at the hydroelectric construction site, project planning and currently as a maintenance engineer. A typical work day is usually busy such as providing engineering assistance to the field workers, visiting sites and attending both internal and external meetings.

I have learnt new ways of getting things done, better ways of managing subordinates and best practice cost reduction strategies.

Excellent coworkers that fit perfectly well as a team. The hardest part of the job is supporting the electric and natural gas franchise of the company. The most enjoyable part of the job is the yearly performance increment.
Pros
Hydro Mondays every two weeks
Cons
None for now

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Manitoba Hydro. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3