Manitoba Hydro Employee Reviews in Canada

Excellent company to work for, great benefits
Admin Rep (Current Employee) –  ProjectsDecember 25, 2015
I have always been happy working here and have been lucky that the company has always supported any special requests for work arrangements - job share, telecommuting, flex time. This is a huge benefit when raising a young family and there is some flexibility in your work schedule.

Many benefits and retirement options.
Hard work and always outside
Power Line Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 5, 2016
Lots of travelling, paid training, long hours and tight knit team work.
Get to operate lots of equipment, always working outside in all weather.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Lots of travelling and long hours away from home
Excellent Workplace
Engineering Intern - Distribution Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 31, 2015
Manitoba Hydro is the best place to work if you're willing to stay in the City of Winnipeg. It has the best benefits I have ever researched. The bonus 'Hydro Monday's' is incredible.
Pros
Hydro Mondays
Cons
Internal Politics and Little Room for Growth and Advancement Within Company
MB Hydro was a good place to work and was very safety oriented
Storekeeper II (Former Employee) –  Selkirk, MBDecember 8, 2015
No two days were alike. Work was always interesting and never dull. Gained a lot of experience with getting to know how a generating station was operated as a whole.
Working along side with mechanics, electrician and operators of the work groups. Hardest part of the job was grinding the runners down in the scroll case after the welders did their welding tasks.
Best part of the job was the variety of work on a daily basis.
Great place to work and great people too.
Construction Inspector (Former Employee) –  KeewatinohkAugust 6, 2015
I did a four month internship there last winter and enjoyed it. I worked with great people and my supervisor was fantastic. I hopefully I look forward to working there again soon.
Pros
Free breakfast, lunch and dinner
Cons
Excellent company to work for.
Various (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 13, 2015
Working for Manitoba Hydro for over 37 years allowed me to experience a variety of job roles from shooting pool in a camp rec centre, to developing a storekeeper training program and a whole lot in between. With a 'Safety First' culture encouraged and observed from the executive office to the remotest field locations this is one of the best companies in Canada to work for.
Pros
exceptional and varied opportunities, great work culture
Laid back attitude
Co-op Engineer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, Manitoba, CanadaDecember 9, 2015
Stable Job. Good people. But very laid back. Hydro monday's off are a nice plus. Very large company and its easy to be overlooked
healthy work environment, professional people.Clean and organized
Reproduction Operator Level (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg,ManitobaMarch 30, 2013
Organizing, archiving and retrieving company records for the department as required.
We had five different sections in our department. Each month we would rotate sections. In a typical day I would microfilm account payable, retrieve drawings, make c size prints, work in the darkroom or microfilm the drawings. I also answered the phone and took orders for drawings etc.
We would get new equipment all the time and I would learn how the operate it. When I worked here there were courses on how to communicate and dealing effectively with fellow employees, other departments were our customers.

The management was excellent. They encouraged me to take courses, continue learning and challenge myself continually. This company believed in their employees and it showed.
Pros
hour lunches, great benifits
Reproduction Operator Level III (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg,ManitboaAugust 27, 2012

It has been a while since I worked there and I can’t think of anything that was negative about this position. I enjoyed learning new equipment and taking courses. Overall everything.
Pros
job security
Fun place to work
Summer Student/Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Gillam, MBSeptember 8, 2015
Manitoba hydro is a good place for students to work, during the summer and make some decent money.
its a friendly environment with lots of opportunities to learn new skills
Fun workplace, fast paced environment.
Drafting Student (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 4, 2014
Typical day at work was to process easement drawings and hydro purchases. You would usually produce multiple drawings per easement file. Through this job I have learned greater understanding in Civil 3D. Management was very laid back, and good and fast work was appreciated.
Pros
good salary, good hours, good enviornment
Cons
repetitive work, a lot of data entry
accommodating and pleasant workplace
Safety/Environment Officer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rosser, MBMarch 2, 2014
Dorsey C.S. is a large station so there is an array of duties throughout the year which prevents the job from becoming tedious. Some of my duties included, aiding in reports and briefs, station assessments (continual improvement of environmental and human safety concerning hazardous materials), presentations, etc. Management was easy going, and my co-workers were fun to work with, making the atmosphere an enjoyable one.
Pros
mondays off
Cons
there are boring moments where work slows down
I love working outside in all weather conditions.
Power Line Technician (PLT) (Former Employee) –  southern ManitobaJanuary 28, 2015
I really enjoyed working with all employees and management i had the opportunity to meet.
Manitoba Hydro - Winnipeg
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, ManitobaAugust 9, 2014
Excellent environment to work in. Very hard place to get into even though if on a contracted position.
I enjoyed the working environment and hope that I get a chance to permanently work at this company.
Pros
great pay, great benifits, great salary
Cons
very hard place to get into. big competition.
Review
Various positions (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg MbJuly 15, 2012
great place to work with wonderful people and fair and caring supervisors and management. The management always encouraged you and were always willing to listen to well researched suggestions. I would recommend this place to anyone.
Pros
too many to list but i would say number one would be excellent managemen
Good place to work provided you are liked
Buyer - Purchasing (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg MBJuly 3, 2012
I learned its not about what you know, anyone can take your place. Good Management is a miracle to come by. The people you work with can make a horrible job good.
Pros
every second monday off...
Cons
terrible management
This was part of my office technology course, needed to do a 6 week work practicum.
Administrative Assistant (School Work Practicum) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 25, 2013
Performed administrative support for the Business Analyst in the Credit and Recovery Service Department as a work experience assignment where I performed difficult and complex tasks accurately, with efficiency, and speed. Specific duties included:

• Reviewing overdue accounts utilizing Banner software program
• Researching data on premise codes
• Organizing performance evaluation data using Excel
• Updating customer information system
• Document Filing
Excellent staff
Summer Student/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Dauphin, MBSeptember 30, 2014
Was a summer student for Manitoba Hydro in Dauphin, Manitoba. Duties included helping trades people and general labour duties.
good experience
GIS Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 5, 2014
A lot of GIS knowledge learnt and very beneficial. Worked in office only and the office hours were flexible.

very friendly people as co-workers and very helpful when unsure of anything
Pros
good experience
Cons
only office work
Great company to work for, great work life balance
Construction Testing Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 30, 2014
I enjoyed my experience with Manitoba Hydro. The job brought me to places that I never thought I'd be. Very adventurous and had a great time

4.3