Manchu Wok Employee Reviews in Canada

Decent first job, however highly stressful
Food Server (Former Employee) –  London, ONMay 8, 2016
Despite how I enjoyed serving customers for the most part, it's a somewhat high-risk, fast-paced environment. You're expected to multi-task quickly while still remaining both sanitary and friendly to customers. There's no time to nurse a burn if you get one, which does hinder performance. Management was encouraging enough, albeit a little stiff at times. It's a challenging job but making customers happy elevates the mood fairly easily. The most difficult part was appeasing unreasonable persons.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Highly labour-intensive
Fast-paced and organized workplace
Cashier/Food Prep/General Cleaner (Former Employee) –  London, ONApril 12, 2016
A typical day at work consists of serving customers, refilling the fridge, and replacing the food in the steam table. If you were closing, your responsibilities were to sweep the floors, refill materials (such as utencils, straws, etc.), order replacement food through the microphone, wash the steam table, wipe the glass and countertops, and empty the garbage.

What I learned during my employment was how to deal with a variety of customers, as well as developing my work pace. I picked up the routine and work ethic quickly and stuck to it.

The management wasn't what I thought it was going to be. The manager stood around yelling at people. We received 15min. breaks (one for a 4-6h shift, and two for anything over that) when we should have been receiving 30min. breaks. If you worked over 8h, you did not receive time and a half.

My co-workers were friendly and we worked as a team. The workplace was very family-oriented.

The hardest part of the job was if it was your turn to close that day. You had to do it alone and did not get paid for overtime if you worked half an hour or an hour after your written hours. The owner would serve food even after the mall closed which would push your cleaning time past your hours.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting and getting to know your co-workers.
Pros
Free food, Holiday bonus, Chinese New Year bonus
Cons
Set 15min. breaks, one uniform
Productive and fun workplace
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Markham, OntarioDecember 12, 2014
Manchu Wok is a company running as franchisor and operator of quick service restaurants with 133 stores across Canada and USA.

My job is to prepare ad-hoc business reports and data analysis, compile and analyze various reports in order to help building and maximizing sales.

I also need to monitor sales performance of renovated stores and summarize report for management review regularly.

My co-workers are all very helpful and friendly. They treat each other as their family members.

The hardest part of my job is to understand all departments' function so as to help them out on request.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that I can learn from the experience when I participate various department works. Thus, I can fully understand business development and direction of the company.
Pros
close to home
Cons
small company with limited promotion chances
Strict Work Environment
Line-Cook (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 7, 2014
My typical day at work as alright, nothing to hard or nothing to easy. I learned how to make Chinese food, I got along with my co-workers and my manager but only for work-related purposes. The hardest part of the job was trying to fit in with my co-workers because I was the only different guy, They all spoke Chinese which made it hard for me to understand them. The most enjoyable part of the day was serving the customers and giving them what they want.
Pros
free snacks
Cons
couldn't understand anybody
people friendly´╝înice work enviroment
Chef (Current Employee) –  Barrie, OntarioMarch 28, 2014
I like the people in Manchu Wok, they are friendly and nice, they always share their story to everyone. They told me how to live in Canada.
Productive and challenging
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  ottawa, OntarioSeptember 29, 2013
Manchu wok is a enjoyable place to work, I gain some experiences in managing the store and dealing with the employees and handle a difficult situation. The best part of the job is you meet new people and you gain some friends. I grew in this job, It taught me how to be balance managing your people. The hardest part of the job is to make sure you are being fair to everyone. Without hurting other peoples feelings.
Pros
gain more knowledge managing the store
Cons
i would like to have a career that have more advancement
Great place to work for a student
Assistant Chef/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 16, 2013
As a high school student working there, I had a lot of fun and met many exceptional people. Management was very nice and because it was a small business, it was a family like work atmosphere. A typical day for me would be serving and interacting with customers or preparing the kitchen for 3-6 hours. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new customers and the work atmosphere.
ok
Cashier (Former Employee) –  dieppe, nbMay 12, 2013
there wasn't many hours for me at Manchu wok so I left there for mcdonalds
Great co-workers
storage handler/ cashier (Former Employee) –  London, ONSeptember 15, 2012
A day at Manchu Wok was a great and fun job specially meeting people who you were going to meet with be very talkative and are social to new workers.
fun place
cash/server (Former Employee) –  London, ONApril 15, 2012
i liked working at manch as serving food to cutmoers and taking orders. but the salry was $8.25 then ..i was there for 2 months i guess the got ,laid of not enough hours but had fun while i was working i was never late for any jobs when they would call me in i would say yes !!
Pros
free food
Cons
good hours
Easy working environment.
Server (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 13, 2012
It is a fast paced working environment with many different kinds of people. Because of the location my ability to speak French helped me on a daily basis. Some days were harder than others because all of my co-workers spoke in mandarin when not serving customers, This made communication with them very difficult, I would say that not being able to make friends and talk easily with my co-workers was the hardest part of the job. I loved my customers and they made working at Manchu Wok very easy and fun.
Pros
discounts on the food, free meal during breaks
Cons
not enough hours