Magnum Cementing Services Employee Reviews

Great people, culture, and room for advancement!
station support (Current Employee) –  Alberta1 August 2017
I love working here. The people make it so easy to come to work. There is a ton of room for advancement in every position in the company. Senior management is always willing to listen to feedback and opinions from staff to see where we can improve as a company. My feedback and input is always valued.

There has been a lot of strain on the company because of the economy, but they work towards fair and smart decision making for salaries and compensation with job bonuses, profit sharing, and great benefits- i couldn't ask for much more.. i am thankful for the opportunities this company has given me to grow!
Excellent Environment, Supportive Management, Respect is given
Wife of an employee (Current Employee) –  Strathmore, AB16 July 2017
Magnum is not only a great place to work, they also value family. My husband has worked there for seven years, he's happy, has an amazing attitude and loves to there everyday. I, for one encourage him to continue working there and to keep improving the company. They care and they want everyone that is working for them feel like family.
Pros
Family values only hire the best of the best very up to date
Cons
They hold you accountable, if you don't like that it's probably a con
Lots of Advancement if you Prove Yourself
Operator (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB14 July 2017
With new stations popping up lately, there are a lot of opportunities to move up if you prove yourself. It's a bit hap-hazard with the grow being so fast, but getting into the swing of things. New positions are really in the hands of the employees. If you do your job and go through the process, the timeline is up to you.
Great crews to work with
Field (Current Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB11 July 2017
The 15-6 shifts can be long and the work is hard, but the company is really busy, so if you want to work it is there. If you want to move up and you learn quick they'll get you there. Economy still isn't great, but what can you do. The crews are great to work with for the most part. Everyone is there for the right reason and works hard to get the job done as a team.
Family-Owned
Office Staff (Current Employee) –  Strathmore, AB30 June 2017
I've been with Magnum for almost three years and I've been very happy. I came from a large company where you were very much just a number, and that is not the case here. Everyone works hard to promote the family atmosphere. The people that do well here are the people that can wear a lot of hats. You will never hear someone say, "that's not my job". Everyone pitches in to get work done, regardless of their level. I think Magnum did a great job of weathering the downturn. This winter was extremely hard work for the field employees, but with it behind us we are able to move forward stronger than ever and continue to expand and grow. I'm proud to work for a company that always tries to put employees first in an industry where that is sometimes very difficult to do.
Job security
Field employee (Current Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB17 March 2017
Been with Magnum for a year. It’s very hard work, but the crew makes it a great atmosphere. Everyone gets along really well and there are not really any people not pulling their weight. The industry still isn’t great, but the company has done a great job of making decisions to ensure the company makes it through. Job security is pretty hard to find right now, so for them to be able to say we’re gonna be around a year from now is awesome to hear.
Oilfield Sweat Shop/Modern day slavery
Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB28 October 2016
An oilfield sweat shop. They'll promise lots and deliver little.. A seriously great group of guys working for them but the management is delusional. This company is guaranteed to either kill someone or get shut down. The work isn't that bad but the ridiculous hours and peanuts for pay are way below industry standards. These guys continually ask their men to break labour laws and driving standards. It's all in a sneaky round about way. Save your time and your life and avoid Magnum Cementing at all costs.
Pros
Nice field staff
Cons
Everything else
17 March 2017

Magnum values the opportunity to receive feedback from our employees and would like to thank you for your comments. Magnum encourages honest, open, and timely feedback so that we can continuously improve. Magnum is committed to having a strong culture and being a great place to work. Our mission is “Service with Integrity,” which goes beyond our customers; we believe in focusing on the needs of our employees. Your feedback will be looked at by our management team to identify actions that can be implemented for improvement.

Its a job, not a career.
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Alberta5 September 2016
The company's mission statement is "Service with integrity".
Just remember everyone's definition of integrity is different. Company's definition of integrity is self-serving, which is expected, but don't buy in to everything that they say.
I've seen people who have gone beyond their duty with little recognition. Management will dangle empty promises to keep you around, but after long days and dispatchers using and pushing you to the limit, you start to wonder where you actually stand within the company.
There seems to be a lot of former Sanjel employees as management, ownership, and head office personnel. Let's remember what has happened with Sanjel, and talk to anyone in the industry about them. They are not so highly regarded within the industry to work for. It seems Magnum has carried on some of these qualities.
I agree with the other reviews available on indeed. Like the one, where it says, where you are expected to be at the shop within an hr of receiving a call, regardless of the time of the day. There were numerous days, where I would go to shop in the morning, and later in the day to be called out to a job. So I end up being up all day, driving and working all night. Dispatchers control your life. You are expected to travel throughout Alberta, and Saskatchewan. You expect, with all these hours put in, it would be worth the bonus money. If you break down the hours you put in, and with the salary and the bonus pay, it is definitely not the worth it being as tired/exhausted after a job. It is a job with lots of overtime wanted or not. And after figuring out your
  more... hourly wage, you will be quite sad. As a supervisor, you are fielding phone calls on your "time off". When one should be resting to get their hours back, you will be answering redundant phone calls. As one review says, you now have a magnum family, and say goodbye to your own family. Good for a single person, but good luck with trying to start your own family. The balance of work and home life? Its a joke for you for the 2 weeks you are on shift. Where is the integrity, when they call you couple hours into your sleep, on the side of the highway because you ran out of hours? Even with GPS, virtual driver's log, they will call to see if you can do something for them, and act all surprised to find out you are out of hours. Excuse me, but what the heck are you guys thinking, and because we run paper logs, is it expected to make it work? Currently they are running both paper and electronic log, paper log for DOT, while the electronic is a mirror of your paper, but for the company to track your hours. Why aren't they fully utilizing the "technology" that they have? Or is it dispatchers wanting to get their job count up, so they'll call hoping to get their count up, regardless of your status?
The positive environment comes from the people you work with. Some are great, and some I question their motive. (Very self-serving) Again the integrity is questioned. I have worked with numerous excellent, knowledgeable, hard working people (most of these being field staff)
If you work for this company, I hope you get paired with a good operator/supervisor. Its not always the "senior" whom are the best. I have worked for both big and small companies. Big company's knock is that you get treated like a number, while the small company is more personable. With that comes the 'politics', so be aware!
This company is great for someone to get their foot in the door with the industry.
They have numerous districts. Each district deals, promotes personnel differently.
Pros
They have work (only from under bidding the competiton)
Cons
They own you for work hitch, and expected to be available 24/7
17 March 2017

would not trust these guys as far as i could throw them.
mechanic (Former Employee) –  strathmore3 June 2015
worked for these guys for 2.5 years. never refused to do anything they asked. convinced them to do more inhouse repairs. quite often would work a full day and then get into the band aid truck and drive for 7 hours to look at something up north. two mechanics looking after four bases and things ran smooth. then they hired a useless guy that knows nothing of the business to be a service manager and it was down hill from there. watch your back with him. got laid off so they could keep paying the shop hand that had been there for two months and polishing girl who polished stuff before it went and sat on the fence cuz it was broken. I get that times are tuff and layoffs happen but no thanks for anything or a hand shake from the owners even though they were in the building which is just a two story house. discarded like an old shoe. just before bonus time funny enough. no problem there though as the profit share was a joke anyways. you only get half of it so that they can save some for your " benefit "later. absolutely no respect for the owners of this outfit..seems they layed off a bunch of guys that were there for them from the start so loyalty does not seem to be a big thing for them. but they will pay you ok. they say they are a family oriented company. the joke was that you don't need a real family now. you have the magnum family.
Pros
good xmas party
Cons
management
20 July 2015

bad company room for advancement
bulkier (Former Employee) –  red deer13 May 2015
this company will tell you more then what will happen, a day would consist of geting called into work, half to be at the shop one hour after the call. now you have one hour to leave the shop or you will be threaten by management that they will deduct your pay. one you are on the road your directions are going to be wrong, so you will need to check that out before you leave. now when you get on location you will work with people that know what they are doing amazing bunch of guys if you asked me. now you did the job easy money right? nope you only got a 80 dollar bonus and worked 9 hours. now before you leave you have to call dispatch, now you have been working for 11 hours and they need you in lloydminster. this will happen a lot. so now you go load your truck the bulk plant will take forever because nobody takes care of them. after you have now worked 30 hours you are off to location. the operator in lloydminster have only worked at magnum for probably a weak well you have been there for a year. so needless to say your going to do another measly 80 for 10 hours. so one you are done back at home you gotta hand in a log book well the truth is the truth well at magnum the truth will get you fired or they will try and take money from you. but that a day in the life of a bulkier at magnum
Pros
they will lie to you about bonuses
Cons
you will never sleep, throw out your bed
20 July 2015

Great place to acquire knowledge.
Bulk Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB28 January 2015
People are able to gain understanding and knowledge about working in the cementing industry.
Fun workplace, Great staff. No money!!
Bulk Plant Operator/Bulker (Current Employee) –  Peace River, AB28 November 2014
Working Salary plus bonuses, promised lots of jobs which brings bonus and barely get any due to the oil field at the moment. Staff is great, very motivated workers
Bulker operator/ swamper (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB28 October 2014
Mixed hours, on call 24/7 15-6 rotation, good for the single person
Pros
decent salary
Cons
Very long irregular hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Magnum Cementing Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Magnum Cementing Services Reviews by Job Title