MAGNA ELECTRIC CORPORATION Employee Reviews

caution
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Rocanville, Sk Northern Alberta,Lanigan,SkApril 22, 2016
I'm gonna be honest, positive and straight forward as much as possible here. I have worked with company's that have great supervisors and foremans that could teach and run jobs that make there crews proud to be apart of. Crews that have learned good skills and carrers in the prosess. But unfortunately this company doesn't have that. Most of there foremans and supervisors rarely are on the tools or helping out on the job, there advice is minimial and poorly planned. Most of the time they don't even know what is going on. Crews will wait wandering around for instructions and waiting for material. Saftey is a joke along with there lock-out procedure.
I hate to say it but good electricians are usually thrown under the bus at Magna.
One job I worked on, the foreman was great. He finished the job a month ahead of schedule and well within budget but unfortunately they canned him. There the only company I have seen this done, especially in all 3 major projects I have been on. 2/3 major projects had a 70% turn over rate and lost money for the company.
Pros
awesome co-workers
Cons
Magna is just a poorly ran company
Carbon Capture Project for Saskpower
JOURNEYMAN ELECTRICIAN (Former Employee) –  Estevan, SaskatchewanSeptember 15, 2015
Worked on Carbon Capture Project for Saskpower (Estevan) location. fun to work with supportive management and lots of opportunities for growth and development.
Gave me one of my first reall jobs out west
Second year Electrician (Former Employee) –  Keal LakeMay 13, 2015
Not much to say it was a job, liked night shift liked the work, a lot of people complain don't really know why. The amount of time wasted for unpaid travel seemed up fair
Pros
Good Money
Cons
unpaid travel
loved working with shermco
janitor (Former Employee) –  kearlMay 13, 2015
i worked nights ,with a couple great co workers cleaning made night go fast, team work was great.management was awesome.only thing i thought was hard was carrying bucket up and down stairs.great stall all around safety orientated..work work for them again for sure..
Pros
great pay and benifits..
Cons
long flights but paid for.so not that bad.
great place to learn
electrician (Former Employee) –  kearl lakeMay 12, 2015
Learned a lot of new things. Crew moral was good. Always busy. Night shift was good. Had a good foreman who showed me a lot of new things. Great crew. Had a lot of fun.
Pros
Good money, and good place to learn.
Cons
bus ride, as in any camp job.
Good Team
Electrician jourenyman (Former Employee) –  kearl lake OPP2 porjectMay 5, 2015
Manga Kearl lake OPP2 porject is a good team,The company attaches great importance to production safety and teamwork. During the site work, I am very happy.
electrician (Former Employee) –  Kearl lake. opp 2May 4, 2015
Great experience working with magna. Good people to work with. Lots ove hours. With lots ove new experience in the work field.
Pros
Good safty
Cons
Some cold work days
All things considered, it was a good place to work.
Electrical QC Inspector. (Former Employee) –  Kearl lake.April 27, 2015
A typical day would consist of 12 hours with 30 mins for lunch and two 15 mins breaks, I learned many new things from several people while I was at Kearl Lake, I found the people in management to be accomodating, friendly, and ready to help, my co-workers were fun to work with which made our daily tasks more enjoyable, the most difficult part of the job for me is the 12 hours per day although some people prefer 12 hours as oppose to 10 hours per day, the most enjoyable part of the job for me was learning new things and the people I worked with, the people make a big difference.
Pros
Chartered flights.
Cons
Long hours.
overal was a good experience
Electrician (Former Employee) –  KearlApril 25, 2015
Overal I enjoyed it, some of the management team was a bit inexperienced but they learnt fairly quick. and there was a great bunch of guys to work with
Very good work atmosphere, lots of good people
Tool Crib Attendant (Former Employee) –  Kearl LakeApril 24, 2015
Working for MEC at Kearl was a good experience.
All the people I worked with were dedicated pro's
and despite winter conditions most were in very
good spirits.Every morning started with a really good tool box
meeting and supervision was organized and approachable.
Very committed to Safety.
Best part of the job was meeting some really good people.
Pros
Very comfortable coaches, lots of food, good pay.
Cons
Long bus rides to and from site
New Company: decent pay and benefits, helter skelter organization
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake ABApril 24, 2015
Usually had 2 of 3 items to complete a task. Material and tool shortages rotated days. Drawings were hard to come by, work packages were usually incomplete.
Office support staff were usually decent to deal with and Safety guys / gals were pretty reasonable. Some company safety regulations went way beyond what was called for by Provincial and Site standards and killed production. Field level supervisors were pretty good. Job started out slowly but definitely improved toward the end. Paycheques and travel were always on time, without too many errors. Company was good to work with you if you needed time off. I'd be happy to work for them again.
Pros
decent pay, decent rotations
Cons
usually very disorganized
fun workplace but not organized at all.needs to have more managment skills
Labour (Former Employee) –  fort mcmurrayApril 24, 2015
Good people to work with. Not good managment. Not very organized. The camp wasn't the best and the food sucked. overall it was there first time on a big job so .
Excellent company to work for!
QA/QC (Former Employee) –  Kearl OPP2April 23, 2015
Working with Magna has been memorable and fascinating. Awesome place to work as well as great time with co-workers and manager
Pros
care about their people
OPP 2 was a super safe site and I learned a lot ther.
Electrical Foreman and QC Field Inspector (Former Employee) –  Kearl LakeApril 23, 2015
Magna was a great company to work for. As a new/ young journeyman I was givin responsibilities and room to grow. The work environment was team oriented while giving individuals who showed initiative reward. The money was pretty good also!!
Pros
Good $
Cons
Re-work/ poor directive from upper management.
Great flights in and out of camp
Lead hand (Former Employee) –  Kearl lakeApril 23, 2015
Good company, excited to be apart of a great team. Looked forward to coming to work. Was treated with respect all the time.
Pros
Tim hortons at living camp
Cons
Long hours of work
productive and fun/enjoyable place to work
electrician (Former Employee) –  kearl oil sands fort mc kayApril 23, 2015
i enjoyed working for magna electric as i felt i was advancing my career and i was also getting valuable expierence in the oil sands.The camp accomadation was top notch and food was pretty good too.
Pros
free food
Cons
Good company to work for. I recommend this company to anyone who loves a challenge.
Jouneyman electrician (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, ABApril 17, 2015
Management was good to our crew, always kept their word.
If you don't mind long hours, it sure adds to your income. Good wages and benefits.
Foreman was well organized, work well planned. Material and tools always available for our tasks.
Always kept busy, which made the shift go by fast. Sure met great people to work with.
Bus ride from camp to work site is 30 minutes.
One should know that payroll is only every 2 weeks.
If you value your career look elsewhere
foreman (Former Employee) –  opp2March 19, 2015
Absolute worst managed company I have worked for thus far. Management can't figure out a thing and has no idea what's going on in the field. Spend weeks auditing the same things with multiple crews because nobody can track a thing to save their lives. Safety is a joke. Some minor incidents are blown completely out of proportion while other more serious ones are swept under the rug. Seems like safety is dependant completely on how the safety leads feel that day and who they don't like. Terrible employees are rewarded and stay on while the good workers get punished and thrown under the bus. Tools and material are a joke from the start. Whoever was in charge of that obviously was never a tradesman. Couldn't even get simple things like extention cords while a dozen guys on a crew stood around all night looking for simple hand tools and parts. Management's answer is to just send more guys to the job. If it wasn't for the dedication and hard work of the good employees, this job would never have been close to where it is at. Any valid issues brought up by foremen and workers are overlooked and we are either told to "deal with it" or "we are looking into it". Coordination is a joke with obviously no experience in this industry. Many times could not even work due to incomplete or non existent work packages. General foremen basically did the job of coordinators. Left to figure things out by ourselves and then catch flack when it wasn't done how management wanted. No clear communication between management and workforce. Sat in their offices and dictated how things are to be done without  more... taking any feedback into consideration from the tradesmen actually completing the work.  less
Pros
the money (if you actually got paid correctly)
Cons
too many to list. just don't bother with this joke of a company if you have any pride
very good companie
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort McmurrayJanuary 22, 2015
Was good for me to work for the MEC, had good working conditions, a good team, good accommodation in the camp, they value the safety and well being of employees and respect all people.
Pros
team work
Cons
long distance from home
Absolutely Brutal Company, Horrible Moral On Site, No One Cares
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Kearl LakeJanuary 7, 2015
This is by far the most horribly run company I have ever worked for. From management to human resources, anyone above the position of foreman should be fired for being completely incompetent. The job is always running behind, but no one in the office can sort themselves out long enough to get any work to the foreman. Their solution to running behind is to just keep hiring more employees and foreman, when in reality all they need to do is swap out a few people in management. The result from hiring more employees is having more people standing around trying to look busy. The more employees stand around the more management, as well as imperial oil are looking for people to dismiss. It seems like a horrible attempt at shifting the blame from management to the employees, making us look incompetent for not being able to get anything done. There is very little money put into training for employees. Moral is extremely low 24/7. Threatened multiple times to send all employees back to camp (without pay) if there were any safety incidents, which in turn discourages employees from reporting injuries. Great company to work for if you would like to be a scapegoat for managements lack of experience, lack of caring, lack of effort and lack of morals. I would be extremely surprised to see this company land another contract on the oil sands.
Pros
free flights, camp accomodation, getting to enjoy the smell of bbq from other contactors on site every day before lunch
Cons
poor management, poor moral, horrible hr, no tools/materials, no training, if french is not your first language you will be treated extra poorly

2.7