MAGNA ELECTRIC CORPORATION

MAGNA ELECTRIC CORPORATION Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
loved working with shermco
janitor (Former Employee), kearlMay 13, 2015
Pros: great pay and benifits..
Cons: long flights but paid for.so not that bad.
i worked nights ,with a couple great co workers cleaning made night go fast, team work was great.management was awesome.only thing i thought was hard was carrying bucket up and down stairs.great stall all around safety orientated..work work for them again for sure..
great place to learn
electrician (Former Employee), kearl lakeMay 12, 2015
Pros: Good money, and good place to learn.
Cons: bus ride, as in any camp job.
Learned a lot of new things. Crew moral was good. Always busy. Night shift was good. Had a good foreman who showed me a lot of new things. Great crew. Had a lot of fun.
Good Team
Electrician jourenyman (Former Employee), kearl lake OPP2 porjectMay 5, 2015
Manga Kearl lake OPP2 porject is a good team,The company attaches great importance to production safety and teamwork. During the site work, I am very happy.
electrician (Former Employee), Kearl lake. opp 2May 4, 2015
Pros: Good safty
Cons: Some cold work days
Great experience working with magna. Good people to work with. Lots ove hours. With lots ove new experience in the work field.
All things considered, it was a good place to work.
Electrical QC Inspector. (Former Employee), Kearl lake.April 27, 2015
Pros: Chartered flights.
Cons: Long hours.
A typical day would consist of 12 hours with 30 mins for lunch and two 15 mins breaks, I learned many new things from several people while I was at Kearl Lake, I found the people in management to be accomodating, friendly, and ready to help, my co-workers were fun to work with which made our daily tasks more enjoyable, the most difficult part of the job for me is the 12 hours per day although some people prefer 12 hours as oppose to 10 hours per day, the most enjoyable part of the job for me was learning new things and the people I worked with, the people make a big difference.
overal was a good experience
Electrician (Former Employee), KearlApril 25, 2015
Overal I enjoyed it, some of the management team was a bit inexperienced but they learnt fairly quick. and there was a great bunch of guys to work with
Very good work atmosphere, lots of good people
Tool Crib Attendant (Former Employee), Kearl LakeApril 24, 2015
Pros: Very comfortable coaches, lots of food, good pay.
Cons: Long bus rides to and from site
Working for MEC at Kearl was a good experience.
All the people I worked with were dedicated pro's
and despite winter conditions most were in very
good spirits.Every morning started with a really good tool box
meeting and supervision was organized and approachable.
Very committed to Safety.
Best part of the job was meeting some really good people.
New Company: decent pay and benefits, helter skelter organization
Electrician (Former Employee), Kearl Lake ABApril 24, 2015
Pros: decent pay, decent rotations
Cons: usually very disorganized
Usually had 2 of 3 items to complete a task. Material and tool shortages rotated days. Drawings were hard to come by, work packages were usually incomplete.
Office support staff were usually decent to deal with and Safety guys / gals were pretty reasonable. Some company safety regulations went way beyond what was called for by Provincial and Site standards and killed production. Field level supervisors were pretty good. Job started out slowly but definitely improved toward the end. Paycheques and travel were always on time, without too many errors. Company was good to work with you if you needed time off. I'd be happy to work for them again.
fun workplace but not organized at all.needs to have more managment skills
Labour (Former Employee), fort mcmurrayApril 24, 2015
Good people to work with. Not good managment. Not very organized. The camp wasn't the best and the food sucked. overall it was there first time on a big job so .
Excellent company to work for!
QA/QC (Former Employee), Kearl OPP2April 23, 2015
Pros: care about their people
Working with Magna has been memorable and fascinating. Awesome place to work as well as great time with co-workers and manager
OPP 2 was a super safe site and I learned a lot ther.
Electrical Foreman and QC Field Inspector (Former Employee), Kearl LakeApril 23, 2015
Pros: Good $
Cons: Re-work/ poor directive from upper management.
Magna was a great company to work for. As a new/ young journeyman I was givin responsibilities and room to grow. The work environment was team oriented while giving individuals who showed initiative reward. The money was pretty good also!!
Great flights in and out of camp
Lead hand (Former Employee), Kearl lakeApril 23, 2015
Pros: Tim hortons at living camp
Cons: Long hours of work
Good company, excited to be apart of a great team. Looked forward to coming to work. Was treated with respect all the time.
productive and fun/enjoyable place to work
electrician (Former Employee), kearl oil sands fort mc kayApril 23, 2015
Pros: free food
Cons: long hours
i enjoyed working for magna electric as i felt i was advancing my career and i was also getting valuable expierence in the oil sands.The camp accomadation was top notch and food was pretty good too.
Good company to work for. I recommend this company to anyone who loves a challenge.
Jouneyman electrician (Former Employee), Kearl Lake, ABApril 17, 2015
Management was good to our crew, always kept their word.
If you don't mind long hours, it sure adds to your income. Good wages and benefits.
Foreman was well organized, work well planned. Material and tools always available for our tasks.
Always kept busy, which made the shift go by fast. Sure met great people to work with.
Bus ride from camp to work site is 30 minutes.
One should know that payroll is only every 2 weeks.
If you value your career look elsewhere
foreman (Former Employee), opp2March 19, 2015
Pros: the money (if you actually got paid correctly)
Cons: too many to list. just don't bother with this joke of a company if you have any pride
Absolute worst managed company I have worked for thus far. Management can't figure out a thing and has no idea what's going on in the field. Spend weeks auditing the same things with multiple crews because nobody can track a thing to save their lives. Safety is a joke. Some minor incidents are blown completely out of proportion while other more serious ones are swept under the rug. Seems like safety is dependant completely on how the safety leads feel that day and who they don't like. Terrible employees are rewarded and stay on while the good workers get punished and thrown under the bus. Tools and material are a joke from the start. Whoever was in charge of that obviously was never a tradesman. Couldn't even get simple things like extention cords while a dozen guys on a crew stood around all night looking for simple hand tools and parts. Management's answer is to just send more guys to the job. If it wasn't for the dedication and hard work of the good employees, this job would never have been close to where it is at. Any valid issues brought up by foremen and workers are overlooked and we are either told to "deal with it" or "we are looking into it". Coordination is a joke with obviously no experience in this industry. Many times could not even work due to incomplete or non existent work packages. General foremen basically did the job of coordinators. Left to figure things out by ourselves and then catch flack when it wasn't done how management wanted. No clear communication between management and workforce. Sat in their offices and dictated how things are to be done without taking any feedback into consideration from the tradesmen actually completing the work.
very good companie
Electrician (Former Employee), Fort McmurrayJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: team work
Cons: long distance from home
Was good for me to work for the MEC, had good working conditions, a good team, good accommodation in the camp, they value the safety and well being of employees and respect all people.
Absolutely Brutal Company, Horrible Moral On Site, No One Cares
Electrician (Current Employee), Kearl LakeJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: free flights, camp accomodation, getting to enjoy the smell of bbq from other contactors on site every day before lunch
Cons: poor management, poor moral, horrible hr, no tools/materials, no training, if french is not your first language you will be treated extra poorly
This is by far the most horribly run company I have ever worked for. From management to human resources, anyone above the position of foreman should be fired for being completely incompetent. The job is always running behind, but no one in the office can sort themselves out long enough to get any work to the foreman. Their solution to running behind is to just keep hiring more employees and foreman, when in reality all they need to do is swap out a few people in management. The result from hiring more employees is having more people standing around trying to look busy. The more employees stand around the more management, as well as imperial oil are looking for people to dismiss. It seems like a horrible attempt at shifting the blame from management to the employees, making us look incompetent for not being able to get anything done. There is very little money put into training for employees. Moral is extremely low 24/7. Threatened multiple times to send all employees back to camp (without pay) if there were any safety incidents, which in turn discourages employees from reporting injuries. Great company to work for if you would like to be a scapegoat for managements lack of experience, lack of caring, lack of effort and lack of morals. I would be extremely surprised to see this company land another contract on the oil sands.
the horror show
Electrician (Former Employee), Kearl lakeDecember 17, 2014
Cons: them as a company
Not a well managed company. Too many people in positions they shouldnt be in. Wait till things are realy bad. No clac or 424. The attractive health 8 account comes nothing close to any unions benefits. No rrsp. Pay rate is lower depending on the job.
Will not work for them again.
terrible employer from a present employee
Construction Electrician (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABDecember 17, 2014
Pros: 12hrs days
Cons: everything else
they will do all they can do to make you feel like a piece of garbage, general forman will disgise has a worker to spy on the guy management is horrible sometime you only get your job scope after 1st break there is no materiel all the management is choose by if your a friend or not nothing to do with skills they will write you up for no good reason
NOT A GOOD COMPANY!!!!
Electrician (Former Employee), KearlNovember 3, 2014
Pros: you are alive when you leave after such a chaotic experience !!!!!
Cons: everything
Don't know where to start??
Pay rate wrong
Missed pay days
No Leadership
No communication
Don't waste your time with this company!!