MacEwan University Employee Reviews

Relaxed and easy going environment
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 April 2017
The people are nice. Work is laid back and enjoyable. Management is lovely. Hardest part is not becoming bored. Working there is swell, a large majority of all staff are pleasant.
Productive and people are always supporting each other
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 March 2017
I'm new with the position, but it is a great environment. Everyone is willing to help specially the people who are on the top. I can wait to have more great experiences.
Recommended
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 March 2017
The office was going through changes and it was unclear of my actual responsibilities.

Some tasks were normal admin tasks but again, was unclear of additional needs
overall it's a good place to work.
Capital Planning & Asset Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 March 2017
I really like it, I was a temp hire, I would have like to work there permanently.

If you have a chance to work there permanently no need to think twice.
Pros
Great opportunity for growth
Cons
Very little direct communication with management
Inconsistent Management and Culture of Us vs. Them
Dispatch Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 February 2017
The saving grace is it is unionized. In 2 yrs of employment I went to the union at least ten times. The do not address mistakes or performance correction effectively. Rather they talk about it behind closed doors and you never know what happened, what is being said or even what mistake you made. I had complaints from my team members go straight to Management and not address the issues with me. These were small issues, difference of procedure, but could have been cleared up the first time it was an issue. I found out six months later that it was an issue.
Pros
Union
Cons
Us vs. Them
Great employer
Student Services (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 February 2017
Very rewarding in so many ways,

A lot of support from co-workers and management.

I worked in student services for more than 20 years. Need I say more?
To much about managers and favourites
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 January 2017
My time was a struggle because I was new. I was never given a chance to show my skill set. Once I complete my maternity leave contract I wasn't offered a job no matter how hard I tried with interviews.
Pros
Events
Cons
Favourites with managers
Quality place to work
Course Instructor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 April 2016
They allow you a lot of freedom while still providing support when it is needed. The staff is very friendly and they make you feel very welcome.
Ability to extend education
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 July 2015
Management was incredible and allowed me to flourish and grow within and beyond my position.
I had the ability to further my education which helped in advancing to new levels within the institution.
Pros
Educational environment
Cons
Government budget cuts resulting in job losses
Positive work environment
Managerial Stats Lab Instructor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 April 2015
Taught excel based lab to first and second year students. This job allowed me to boost my confidence in public speaking. The most enjoyable part of the labs were the opportunity to interact with many students from all walks of life.
I really like the enviorment of the University since everyone seems to be really kind and open minded.
Minor in Buisness (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 September 2014
I am not working at MacEwan but doing a minor in Buisness. I am learning how to work with Canadians mostly and it is the first time I work with Canadians, I like the way they work and it is not that different from working with a European. I really enjoy working in a multicultural enviorment.
Pros
The classes are fun and quite easy.
Cons
There are actually no cons.
Excellent Faculty
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Behavioral Neuroscience Lab27 August 2014
--Excellent Faculty and opportunities to expand knowledge
--This is a university
Productive and educative workplace
lab monitor/book shlever (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 June 2014
Productive and educative workplace. My supervisors were very helpfull, as i able to gain valuable skills from them for example organisation and time management.
The hardest part of my job was standing for extended hours while shelving books.
I enjoyed the interactions i had with my collegues and supervisors at the workplace, it was a friendly and hospitable vibe
A combination of Innovation and Tradition in Nursing Education
Nursing Faculty (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 April 2014
Long days and evening. Interesting classes. Very rewarding career teaching nursing students how to nurse. The job/work balance just became too much for me. I really liked my co-workers and management.
Pros
Positive Environment
Cons
Top-heavy, imbalanced organizational structure; lack of leadership and effective performance management
Administrative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 February 2014
A very top-heavy, protectionist organizational culture with myriad, redundant levels of upper management, few of which seem to take an active role in implementing recommendations, changes or suggestions. Upper management/leadership also seem reluctant to become involved with performance management, coaching or helping subordinates develop a clear career path. Divergent views, organizational change and conflicting messages create ambiguity and a culture of fear and uncertainty among low- and mid-level employees. This could be minimized were leadership to take a proactive approach to employee engagement, employee recognition, and internal communications

Great benefits but, depending on the manager, difficult to determine the correct or appropriate paths to professional development. HORRIBLE disability management and support for/accommodation of employee with disabilities/impairments.
Pros
Social committee, organizational development day with keynotes
Cons
HORRIBLE disability management and support for employees with disabilities/impairments.
Productive and fun position, loved my manager
MacEwan Ambassador Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 December 2013
Learned people skills and leadership training skills. Trained 50 students in leadership and was very challenging as the Ambassadors considered me as their peer and shared personal and professional thoughts with me. I loved to work with them with a mission and vision. We always worked as a team and I was a tool in bringing them together.
Pros
Free Professional development opportunities
Cons
long hours of working
Teaching and Student focused Institution
Administrator, School of Business (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta6 June 2013
MacEwan is a forward thinking consultative organizaiton. They have a true passion for supporting a great student experience. A typical day revolved around interacting with administrators to collaborate on new innovatinve techniques to improve the quality of experience for new and existing students.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MacEwan University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2