MacEwan University Employee Reviews

Top-heavy, imbalanced organizational structure; lack of leadership and effective performance management
Administrative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 February 2014
A very top-heavy, protectionist organizational culture with myriad, redundant levels of upper management, few of which seem to take an active role in implementing recommendations, changes or suggestions. Upper management/leadership also seem reluctant to become involved with performance management, coaching or helping subordinates develop a clear career path. Divergent views, organizational change and conflicting messages create ambiguity and a culture of fear and uncertainty among low- and mid-level employees. This could be minimized were leadership to take a proactive approach to employee engagement, employee recognition, and internal communications

Great benefits but, depending on the manager, difficult to determine the correct or appropriate paths to professional development. HORRIBLE disability management and support for/accommodation of employee with disabilities/impairments.
Pros
Social committee, organizational development day with keynotes
Cons
HORRIBLE disability management and support for employees with disabilities/impairments.
Quality place to work
Course Instructor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 April 2016
They allow you a lot of freedom while still providing support when it is needed. The staff is very friendly and they make you feel very welcome.
A combination of Innovation and Tradition in Nursing Education
Nursing Faculty (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 April 2014
Long days and evening. Interesting classes. Very rewarding career teaching nursing students how to nurse. The job/work balance just became too much for me. I really liked my co-workers and management.
Pros
Positive Environment
Ability to extend education
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 July 2015
Management was incredible and allowed me to flourish and grow within and beyond my position.
I had the ability to further my education which helped in advancing to new levels within the institution.
Pros
Educational environment
Cons
Government budget cuts resulting in job losses
Productive and fun position, loved my manager
MacEwan Ambassador Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 December 2013
Learned people skills and leadership training skills. Trained 50 students in leadership and was very challenging as the Ambassadors considered me as their peer and shared personal and professional thoughts with me. I loved to work with them with a mission and vision. We always worked as a team and I was a tool in bringing them together.
Pros
Free Professional development opportunities
Cons
long hours of working
Productive and educative workplace
lab monitor/book shlever (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 June 2014
Productive and educative workplace. My supervisors were very helpfull, as i able to gain valuable skills from them for example organisation and time management.
The hardest part of my job was standing for extended hours while shelving books.
I enjoyed the interactions i had with my collegues and supervisors at the workplace, it was a friendly and hospitable vibe
I really like the enviorment of the University since everyone seems to be really kind and open minded.
Minor in Buisness (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 September 2014
I am not working at MacEwan but doing a minor in Buisness. I am learning how to work with Canadians mostly and it is the first time I work with Canadians, I like the way they work and it is not that different from working with a European. I really enjoy working in a multicultural enviorment.
Pros
The classes are fun and quite easy.
Cons
There are actually no cons.
Positive work environment
Managerial Stats Lab Instructor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 April 2015
Taught excel based lab to first and second year students. This job allowed me to boost my confidence in public speaking. The most enjoyable part of the labs were the opportunity to interact with many students from all walks of life.
Clear job assignment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 October 2013
I worked as a summer time research assistant for one Business School professor and collected some information about governing policies online. Later the materials we found were summarized to be one book chapter. Felt being needed and motivated.
Pros
Clear job assignment; nice payment
Cons
Not clear yet
Excellent Faculty
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Behavioral Neuroscience Lab27 August 2014
--Excellent Faculty and opportunities to expand knowledge
--This is a university