Reporting to the Payroll Supervisor, the Payroll Assistant is responsible for assisting with the administration of payroll and general HR administrative support for approximately 300 employees of MacDonald Island Park Corporation. The payroll assistant posts entries, audits and reconciles various payroll reports while providing support to all functions of payroll in addition to processing payroll for staff and ensuring all processes and procedures are carried out in accordance with legislated compliance and corporate standards.
- Verifies accuracy of source documents, researches, identifies and corrects discrepancies on a timely basis.
- Reviews personnel profiles to determine employment status, proper wage rates, charging instructions and types of transactions in the preparation of bi-weekly payrolls.
- Processes additions, deductions and adjustments to employees’ pay and accruals.
- Calculates and prepares manual cheque requirements.
- Audits payroll entries to ensure accuracy.
- Sorts, assembles, and forwards payroll data for processing. Identifies and corrects processing errors. Balances payroll records including retro pay calculations.
- Maintains all necessary payroll records required to comply with statutory regulations and for the effective management of the payroll.
- Reconciles time card totals from EzLabor to Pay at Work (ADP). Reviews source documents such as Timecards for adherence to collective agreements and terms and conditions of employment and bringing the more complex cases, trends and unique situations to the attention to the Supervisor, Payroll.
- Handles basic administrative payroll duties including data entry, filing, and faxing.
- Liaise directly with line managers regarding their employee timecards.
- Maintains and updates payroll records as appropriate.
- Assists in preparing the year end process for payroll and distributes all year end documents.
- Serves as a source of information to management, staff, and external contacts on established payroll policies and procedures while solving problems concerning payroll, answering inquiries, and enforcing payroll policies.
- Tracks and reviews the time and attendance through ezlabor software.
- Assists in development of overall payroll procedures by recommending improvements or changes when deemed necessary for greater efficiency.
- Assists the payroll Supervisor in reviewing and preparing payroll-related statistical reports, statements and summaries
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Director, Human Resources.
- Completion of high school with Diploma or coursework in Accounting or payroll or an equivalent combination of experience and education
- A minimum of 1-2 years progressive payroll experience.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Accounting knowledge and strong interpersonal skills in dealings with both employees and 3rd Parties.
- Understanding of Statutory Deductions, Taxable Benefits, Workers Compensation Legislation, and the ability to educate employees on all matters relating to their compensation and benefits.
- Ability to exercise discretion, tact, diplomacy and good judgment in dealing with difficult situations and people.
- Experienced in the use of computer programs, including ADP Payroll Software and the Microsoft Office Suite, with a high proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and a passion for detail and organization.
- Extremely high attention to detail is mandatory.
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Possess outstanding verbal and written communication.
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Solid understanding of and experience with an automated payroll system such as ADP or Payworks.
- Canadian Payroll Association Level 1 certification preferred.
- Experience in a similar payroll role working in a unionized organization preferred
- Some knowledge of personnel/HR procedures and regulations.*bulletedlist
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORKING CONDITIONS:
- This is a full-time 40 hours/week position. with work on some weekend and stat holidays. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for extended periods of time. The employee is occasionally required to use hands or fingers to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
- This position requires use of modern office equipment including computer hardware, applicable software and small business machines.
- Work is performed primarily in an office setting. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
*Please apply on our website: http://www.macdonaldisland.ca/about-us/mi-team/jobs if you are interested in this job posting*