Methanex is the world’s largest producer and marketer of methanol. Its corporate headquarters are in Vancouver, Canada. Production facilities are located in Chile, New Zealand and Trinidad & Tobago, with sales offices in North America, South America, Europe and throughout the Asia Pacific region.
Methanol is a clear biodegradable liquid chemical made from natural gas. It is a versatile petrochemical feedstock that is used to make countless consumer products such as synthetic textiles, recyclable plastics, household paints and adhesives and even common medicines such as ASA (acetylsalicylic acid).
Methanex is a Responsible Care Company committed to the safe, ethical and environmentally sound management of the chemicals it makes and uses. Responsible Care is an ethic established by the Canadian Chemical Producers’ Association (CCPA). The Responsible Care ethic is an integral part of Methanex’s global commitment to ensuring the well-being of all stakeholders wherever Methanex does business.
The Senior Business Development Analyst provides senior management with complete analytical support for investment decisions being considered either corporately or regionally. Further, the position develops and maintains a corporate economic valuation model to measure value and the impacts of the various global strategic initiatives. The analyst supports commercial investigations and negotiations, and may actively participate in such negotiations and contract development.
- Enhancing and maintaining the corporate model relied on by the CEO and Senior Management for identifying all key assumptions and corresponding corporate value as well as assessing investment decisions.
- Interpreting and scrutinising the model results and validating all changes to ensure accuracy before communicating results.
- Prepare detailed long term cash forecasts which guide long-term tax and cash repatriation actions of Finance group.
- Identify, document and examine all key assumptions (i.e. revenue, costs, escalation, growth, manpower, logistics, and distribution market share) of a discrete investment and measure value opportunity.
- Communicate with the appropriate internal experts on specific assumptions and scrutiny of corresponding results.
- Provide the economic justification for recommendations to acquire new operations/business and identify or quantify the associated risks.
- Give presentations of results to executives as required.
- Underpin negotiation strategy and tactics with detailed analytical support; actively support negotiation as appropriate.
- Identify range of values relative to negotiation position; present/debate implications with negotiation team.
- Contribute to the development of commercial contracts; documenting and proving the quantification of key terms.
- Create a methodology for establishing a ceiling on investment purchase price.
- Support Due Diligence initiatives
Education and Professional Designation:
- Related University Degree.
- Professional analyst (CFA) or accounting (CA, CMA) designation to ensure disciplined analytical approach and solid understanding of accounting, and thorough knowledge of DCF analysis and other valuation tools.
Technical Experience and Skills:
- At least 5-7 years of strong analytical experience in similar industries with global operations to understand what the economic drivers are and how they are influenced.
- Expert financial modeling skills.
- Previous commercial experience with developing external relationships.
- Contract management experience.
- Expert knowledge of Excel and strong knowledge base of Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.
- Deals with ambiguity and complexity comfortably.
- Demonstrates strategic agility; can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately.
- Ability to understand assumptions when interpreting results.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to confidently interact with all levels of the organization and deliver recommendations.
- Can learn quickly when facing new problems and is open to change.
- Remains calm under pressure.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Strong presentation skills and communication skills (oral and written)
- Ability to manage several competing priorities at once.
- Self-directed, pro-active, highly motivated and extremely flexible.