Position: Payroll and Benefits Specialist
Status: 14 Month Temporary Position (commencing Dec. 1, 2013)
Reports to: Manager, Human Resources
Methanex is the world’s largest producer and marketer of methanol. Its corporate headquarters are in Vancouver, Canada. Production facilities are located in New Zealand, Canada, the United States, Trinidad & Tobago and Chile, with sales offices in North America, South America, Europe and throughout the Asia Pacific region.
Methanol is a clear biodegradable liquid chemical made primarily from natural gas. It is a versatile petrochemical feedstock with about two-thirds of methanol used to make countless consumer products such as synthetic textiles, recyclable plastics, household paints and adhesives and even common medicines such as ASA (acetylsalicylic acid). The remaining one-third of methanol demand is in energy-related applications, such as direct methanol blending into gasoline and for bio-diesel production.
Methanex is committed to Responsible Care, which is the umbrella program under which we manage issues related to health, safety, the environment, community involvement, social responsibility, sustainability, security and emergency preparedness at each of our locations. The Responsible Care ethic is an integral part of Methanex’s global commitment to ensuring the well-being of all stakeholders wherever Methanex does business.
Reporting to the Manager, Human Resources, this position is responsible for Canadian payroll, payment of fees to Board of Directors and payroll administration, including the preparation and reconciliation of all payroll related accounting entries. This position is also responsible for a number of activities related to pension & benefit administration and for the preparation of annual department salary budgets & Short-Term Incentive accruals for Canada.
- Process semi-monthly payroll (Salary, Hourly & Exception pay) and annual short-term incentives payments for approximately 250 Canadian employees, including quarterly payments to the Board of Directors.
- Import & reconcile employee payroll data from PeopleSoft HRIS into ADP payroll system.
- Calculate and input all other payroll entries, including termination payments, prior period adjustments, fitness reimbursements, maternity leave top ups, taxable benefits and gross-ups.
- Run semi-monthly Payroll Exercise Report (Equity) and update YTD payroll for exercised Stock Options & Tax withholdings for employees.
- Run semi-monthly Payroll Exercise Report (Cash) and process payment to employees for exercised SARs (Stock Appreciation Rights).
- Process payments to employees for annual vested PSUs (Performance Share Units).
- Track paid time off for employees.
- Liaise with Global Mobility Advisor and identify tax liabilities for employees on assignment (Canadian employees on assignment outside Canada and employees on assignment in Canada from other regions).
- Prepare & reconcile annual T4’s for Canadian employees and those on assignment
- Prepare on-line Records of Employment for terminated employees.
- Review all employee expense reports for taxable benefits.
- Prepare semi-monthly and ad-hoc Payroll Journal Entries.
- Reconcile balance sheet general ledger accounts monthly.
- Prepare quarterly STI accrual.
- Prepare annual salary and benefit budgets by department for Canada.
- Participate in payroll related audits as required.
Benefits and Pension Administration:
- Prepare and remit pension and ESPP contributions semi-monthly
- Prepare benefit payments to providers.
- Prepare annual WorkSafe – WCB payment
- Maintain benefit eligibility on provider websites for Vancouver employees.
- Coordinate annual Canada Savings Plan enrolment.
- Coordinate annual United Way contributions and make quarterly remittances to United Way.
- Prepare & submit annual benefit renewal data to benefit providers.
- Manage war risk insurance applications and submit to Great West Life.
- Calculate annual pension adjustments for DB Pension Plan.
- Run monthly DC, DB & SERP pension financial statements from vender websites and reconcile contributions.
- Coordinate pension plan filings and participate in pension plan audits.
- Provide pension information to actuaries as required.
HR Systems Administration:
- Maintain payroll earning & deduction codes in ADP payroll system and corresponding PeopleSoft set-up
- Arrange and test all upgrades to ADP payroll system.
- Coordinate and test all changes to the payroll interface from PeopleSoft to ADP.
Education and/or Professional Designation:
- Post-secondary diploma or degree specializing in human resources or related fields.
- Canadian Payroll Designation (CMP) or equivalent experience.
Experience and Technical Skills/Knowledge:
- 5 years’ experience in Payroll, specifically within a global environment
- Knowledge of salary, hourly and exception time administration systems
- Experience with employee benefits and pension administration
- Experience working with ADP, specifically PaySpecialist & Pay@Work
- PeopleSoft or similar HRIS experience an asset
- Highly developed interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- Excellent writing skills
- Excellent quantitative and systems thinking skills
- A fast and agile learner
- Collaborative, team player approach
- Self-motivated with good judgement and excellent organizational skills
- Proficiency with MS Office applications and Advanced Excel skills