Methanex is the world’s largest producer and marketer of methanol. Its corporate headquarters are in Vancouver, Canada. Production facilities are located in Chile, New Zealand and Trinidad & Tobago, with sales offices in North America, South America, Europe and throughout the Asia Pacific region.
Methanol is a clear biodegradable liquid chemical made from natural gas. It is a versatile petrochemical feedstock that is used to make countless consumer products such as synthetic textiles, recyclable plastics, household paints and adhesives and even common medicines such as ASA (acetylsalicylic acid).
Methanex is a Responsible Care Company committed to the safe, ethical and environmentally sound management of the chemicals it makes and uses. Responsible Care is an ethic established by the Canadian Chemical Producers’ Association (CCPA). The Responsible Care ethic is an integral part of Methanex’s global commitment to ensuring the well-being of all stakeholders wherever Methanex does business.
As part of the Waterfront Shipping Operations team, the Marine Operations Analyst is responsible for the collection, analysis and reporting of data. Principally operating within the Shipnet system, the incumbent will continuously gather and input global data and communicate results to management for decision making. This role will also be responsible for managing the database.
Provide timely information using Shipnet for users through
- Collecting data for Waterfront Shipping global operations and entering the data into Shipnet.
- Verifying the accuracy and reasonableness of data received and investigating any discrepancies.
- Maintaining vessel schedules with information received from regions and commercial supply chain.
Provide performance reports to the Operations department by
- Producing high quality quarterly reports which can be used by the Manager, Operations to assess performance and to set future goals for global shipping operations.
- Maintaining key performance indicators, in conjunction with the Manger, Operations, and developing necessary excel reports.
- Assisting the development of new key performance indicators and improve functionality of existing ones.
- Assisting the Operations department by backing up Marine Operations Coordinators when they are away from the office.
Maintain Operations documents by
- Processing and paying monthly vessel hire payments.
- Keeping Operation department files up to date.
- Performing other administrative functions as required by Operations Manager.
Education and/or Professional Designation
- Post-Secondary degree in a related field
- Accounting diploma or certificate an asset
Experience and Technical Skills/Knowledge
- Minimum 3 years accounting, report creation and data entry experience.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills, particularly in Excel and experience in automated data extraction into MS Office products.
- Proficiency in Access an asset.
Competencies (attributes and abilities)
- Candidates in this role must be comfortable working with a diverse range of global relationships. Key relationships include working with Management, Marine Operator Coordinators and Accounting personnel as well as ship owners and brokers. Success in these relationships is based on understanding customer needs, working to find resolutions and being a trusted team player. This person is an active listener and information provider.
- Time management and planning skills are critical to success. The candidate must demonstrate an ability to orchestrate multiple activities at once, create effective information retrieval systems and develop processes and schedules.
- The candidate has a drive to find answers and resolve discrepancies; perseverance describes this candidate. You possess a strong numbers sense and are interested in applying your accounting background to enhancing shipping operations. You are a curious learner, not only about business, but also about yourself.