Methanex is the world’s largest producer and marketer of methanol. Its corporate headquarters are in Vancouver, Canada. Production facilities are located in New Zealand, Egypt, Canada, the United States, Trinidad & Tobago and Chile, with sales offices in North America, South America, Europe and throughout the Asia Pacific region.
Methanol is a clear biodegradable liquid chemical made primarily from natural gas. It is a versatile petrochemical feedstock with about two-thirds of methanol used to make countless consumer products such as synthetic textiles, recyclable plastics, household paints and adhesives and even common medicines such as ASA (acetylsalicylic acid). The remaining one-third of methanol demand is in energy-related applications, such as direct methanol blending into gasoline and for bio-diesel production.
Methanex is committed to Responsible Care, which is the umbrella program under which we manage issues related to health, safety, the environment, community involvement, social responsibility, sustainability, security and emergency preparedness at each of our locations. The Responsible Care ethic is an integral part of Methanex’s global commitment to ensuring the well-being of all stakeholders wherever Methanex does business.
The purpose of this position is to work with the Director, Tax in all aspects of the company’s worldwide tax planning, dispute resolution and tax compliance responsibilities. The incumbent will be a key member of the finance group with significant interface in bridging the Tax, Treasury and the Corporate Controller’s departments through management and coordination of global tax initiatives. The successful incumbent will demonstrate strong leadership qualities, versatility in their experience and capabilities, and excellent business knowledge.
- Management and implementation of regional and international tax planning projects including repatriation planning and corporate restructuring.
- Manage on-going tax audits; work with external advisors and regional finance departments in responding to tax audits.
- Monitor and assess new tax developments globally and evaluate application to planning opportunities for Methanex.
- Work with Treasury department in providing tax oversight and planning for all inter-affiliate financing.
- Identify and implement improvements to the corporate structure in response to business model changes in a timely and proactive manner.
- Work with the Controller’s department to support the Company’s global transfer pricing practices.
- Responsible for the preparation of Canadian income tax returns including coordinating with the Canadian finance team to ensure timely completion of standalone financial statements.
- Responsible for coordinating the preparation of U.S. tax returns with external advisors.
- Support Canada and U.S. finance teams with implementation of new tax legislation and/or new restructuring and its impact on financial reporting.
Education and/or Professional Designation:
- Professional accounting designation required.
Experience and Technical Skills/Knowledge:
- Five or more years of post-designation accounting and/or industry experience.
- Extensive tax knowledge
- Knowledge of a global organization from a financial structure perspective.
- Experience with ERP/Integrated accounting systems an asset.
- Strong proficiency with computer software, including Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
- Demonstrates strong business acumen and organizational agility; can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately.
- Deals with ambiguity and complexity comfortably.
- Ability to analyze and solve complex taxation issues thoroughly and accurately.
- Strong communication skills both verbal and written.
- Excellent organization, time management skills and attention to detail.
- Seen as a team player and is cooperative and collaborative.
- Demonstrates a strong drive for results and decision quality.
- Can learn quickly when facing new problems and is open to change.