Methanex is the world's largest supplier of methanol to major international markets. With corporate headquarters in Vancouver, Canada, Methanex is a publicly traded global enterprise with manufacturing, marketing and supply chain capabilities in North America, Latin America, Europe, the Caribbean, the Middle East and throughout the Asia Pacific region.
Methanol is used in a range of industrial and consumer products, from windshield washer fluid to recyclable plastic bottles, plywood floors to paint. The fastest growing markets for the use of methanol are in the energy sector, including direct gasoline blending, dimethyl ether and biodiesel.
Methanex is a Responsible Care company committed to the safe, ethical and environmentally sound management of the chemicals it makes and uses. Responsible Care is an ethic established by the Chemistry Industry Association of Canada (CIAC). The Responsible Care ethic is an integral part of Methanex’s global commitment to ensuring the well-being of all stakeholders, wherever Methanex does business.
The position is responsible for the review, enhancement and implementation of all global policies and processes which support frequent travelers and the cross regional deployment of Methanex resources, including taxation reporting and compliance.
- Participate in the development and implementation of policy, practices and systems in the area of Global Mobility.
- Ensure the provision of pro-active strategies and advice concerning Global Mobility policy, jurisdictional taxation legislation and compliance.
- Liaise with other organisations and government agencies to ensure compliance with legislation.
- Manage international service providers specializing in relocation services.
- Liaise with international data providers to obtain information for the calculation of various foreign service allowances.
- Assist regional HR with the employment arrangements and preparation of offer letters and provide proactive guidance in deployment of policy.
- Source out and manage specialized benefit programs for expats and business travelers.
- Coordinate tax input into the planning, costing and establishment of assignments.
- Ensure assignees receive access to appropriate advice to understand their tax obligations.
- Coordinate the establishment of withholding and remittance processes for assignments.
- Review year-to-date tax withholdings and remittances prior to each tax year end and liaise with the Designated Specialist Taxation Provider (DSTP) to make appropriate adjustments to minimize discrepancies at equalization.
- Develop an annual tax calendar and ensure all activities are completed on time.
- Provide input and coordinate mitigation into other cross-jurisdiction deployments where tax exposures may arise.
- Monitor tax obligations arising from deferred compensation plans.
- Prepare informational material and host educational sessions to improve understanding of tax policies and obligations among assignees and managers.
- Provide high level customer service to assignees, HR and those involved in managing global assignments.
- Work with the internal taxation specialist to ensure the DSTP is providing cost effective and practical advice in the area of expatriate and frequent traveler tax.
Education and Experience:
- Post-secondary degree in a relevant area; an accounting designation would be an asset.
Experience and Technical Skills/Knowledge:
- 5-10 years’ experience in Human Resources with a strong background in expatriate policy and administration, including knowledge of expatriate tax matters and managing consulting contracts.
- Strong understanding of regional differences in employment terms and conditions.
- Working knowledge of compensation and benefits theory as well as expatriation policies, practices, and procedures.
- Working knowledge of taxation application across multi-jurisdictional environments.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Must be extremely organized, detail-oriented, and able to manage competing priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written).
- Ability to communicate across jurisdictions and cultures.
- Able to work autonomously and without direct day to day supervision.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Strong administrative skills (planning, organizing, coordinating, and implementing).
- Conceptual skills to analyze situations and problems to find viable, timely solutions.
- Self-directed, motivated, and highly trusted.
- Able to work effectively independently and in a team environment.
Methanex Corporation (Methanex) is a supplier of methanol to the international markets of North America, Asia Pacific, Europe and Latin...