As a member of the IT team and reporting to the Senior IT Specialist / IT Manager, the IT specialist will be responsible for maintaining continuous IT operations and assisting IT project efforts of the company. The IT Specialist contributes to the effective execution of installation, maintenance, issue resolution, incident management and IT continuity management tasks of the company’s information systems, networks, databases, intranet and public website.
- Acts as the subject matter expert on the systems, databases and network technologies of the company.
- Works with business users and project teams to understand business and technical requirements and design and implement secure highly-available network solutions that meet business requirements. This includes data center networks, local and wide area networks and wireless access.
- Provides support on complex or high-impact system, database and network issues and outages.
- Maintains architecture and implementation blueprints for technology service.
- Maintains a high level of awareness on developments in networking, server, database and desktop management and how these developments may be applied at the company.
- Provides IT support for the implementation and operation of the Epicor Prophet 21 ERP system, including change management, configuration management, access management, maintenance of interfaces and end user support.
- Performs other related duties.
Skills and Behaviors:
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, ability to communicate and collaborate
effectively with colleagues at all levels across the organization including management, end-users and project teams.
- Ability to work effectively with teams and end users that are dispersed.
- Ability to adapt to change.
- Strong planning and prioritizing skills, must possess ability to manage multiple requests / issues concurrently while ensuring that our employees’ and customers’ expectations are appropriately set and adjusting as priorities change.
- 4+ years’ experience in Information Technology environment.
- Knowledge of IT infrastructure and hardware, network protocols and topologies, operating systems and client / server technology, including:
- Cisco CCENT, CCNA Certification (Cisco IOS)
- Network Services: DHCP, DNS, Routing
- Virtualization: VMWare
- Mail Servicers: MS Exchange, Postfix
- Web Servers: Apache with Wordpress
- Windows Server with Active Directory, Windows Remote Desktop Service, SQL Server
- Linux (Samba) File Share, Linux Back-up
- Databases: Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL
- Desktops: Windows 7
- Programming languages: Bash Scripting, SQL
- A diploma / degree from a recognized post-secondary institution required, in Computer Science or related discipline is preferred.