M&M Meat Shops Employee Reviews in Canada

A wonderful place to work.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 19, 2016
Working for M&M Food Market has given me the opportunity to use my skills that I learned being a Franchisee for 12 years.

The management and ownership appreciates the work I put in and I couldn't ask for a better staff.

Looking forward to many years with an amazing company.
Pros
Staff discounts on great food.
Cons
Being responsible for not running out of product.
Cashier, sale of merchandise, food consultant (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBMarch 20, 2016
Loved working there, great costumers and environment, enjoyed working with my co-workers, management was excellent, unfortunately the store was sold.
Wonderful Place for Retail
Product Consultant (Current Employee) –  St. ThomasMay 28, 2015
If the salary was better and benefits were available I would stay there for my career. Everyone at head office and in the store is very friendly and easy to get along with. Working with the general public is also very refreshing
Pros
Amazing people to work for
Cons
Salary
Fun place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ONJuly 2, 2015
Great staff to get along with. Management was very friendly. Co-workers worked well together. Hardest part was dealing with the cold. Enjoyed my shifts and interacting with customers about products.
good place to work
Product Consultant (Former Employee) –  Essex, ONNovember 29, 2015
customer service is a definite aspect to this job. wage is a bit lower, but good work environment. great job to build customer service experience.
working in a freezer
sales (Former Employee) –  etobicokeJune 21, 2015
the management wasnt the greatest he didnt like to pay for a month or more, and he didnt like that me and my sister both worked with him
Productive and friendly work environment.
Product Consultant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 17, 2014
A typical day at work includes assisting customers, process purchases at the till, stocking the freezers, have friendly conversations with co-workers, and ensuring the store is clean and appealing to customers.
The manager at the store I work at is amazing: she makes us all feel like family, ensures our schedules do not conflict with any prior commitments (school, other jobs, family, etc). She trains all new employees and makes sure they are comfortable with the work environment. I cannot think of any reason not to like the management there.
Working here has definitely "brought me out of my shell": I am comfortable speaking with customers and making them feel welcome, and promoting products in the store.
Pros
friendly co-workers.
Cons
new company owners making changes to the store's operations.
Good place to work and you get to know customers and their needs
Product Consultant (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, OntarioJune 28, 2015
I like the fact that we get to know the products in order to show and tell customers.

The "regular" customers we get to know, so we know what they are wanting to purchase and they enjoy sharing stories with us.
Pros
Get to know customers
Cons
Just minimum wage
Good environment to be with, especially around Christmas-gets very busy
Product Consultant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCDecember 27, 2012
A typical day includes NO scheduled breaks- sometimes no break during the 8 hour day.
Management rarely showed, after a month and two weeks, I had still not received my record of employment.
Hardest part of the job would be just the cold of the freezer.
Hours would be either way too much, or too little- I would work one day for 10 hours, then the next for 3.

I did not get paid over time.
Many legal issues and management would not pay over time, give out breaks, as well as very uncomfortable to talk to- would intimidate the worker.
Pros
the discount of 15%. great staff.
Cons
working hours, management, breaks, legal issues, training was not done by management, but with other staff instead. very impersonal relationship with employer.
Very fun workplace
key holder (nights) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, OntarioMarch 17, 2013
I was the key holder, which means i would be in charge of closing the store at night, checking if everything was in order, counting the cash in the register and putting it in the safe, mopping and sweeping the floors.

-I learned how to work a cash register, how to keep the logs in check, i learned how to prioritize, just basically better time management.

-The co-workers were amazing, they were nice, reliable and very honest.

-The hardest part of the job was probably the constant transition between the freezer and the store front.

-The most enjoyable part of the job, was just having the privilege of working with these guys and the general ambiance of the work place.
Pros
free samples
Cons
transition from the freezer to the front of the store
Productive, Engaging and Enjoyable Workplace
Product Consultant (Current Employee) –  Lakefield, ONJuly 19, 2012
At M&M Meat Shops a typical day consists of helping customers with reliable friendly service, and aiding them in their frozen food needs. We also learn and use product rotation, product up-selling, and product deliveries. I have gotten to learn more business management practices while working here. My Management team as well as my coworkers are very friendly, approachable, and easy to work with and get along with. The hardest part of the job is obtaining a decent knowledge of the products available to customers because there are so many. M&M Meat Shops is overall, and enjoyable place to work for.
Pros
free product sampling
Cons
not enough hours
Friendly and Productive Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ONAugust 26, 2012
A typical day at work would start with opening the store, followed by counting and balancing the previous day's till. If the store is busy I would immediately begin greeting customers and giving them suggestions and options on our products. Apart from serving customers, daily tasks include, stocking, cleaning, taking inventory, receiving orders and taking freezer temperatures. At the end of the day I would be responsible for all the duties involved with closing the store.

Working for M&M Meat Shops has been an amazing experience. I've learned invaluable lessons on responsibility, commitment and customer service. At the age of nineteen I have successfully been able to put five years of work experience behind me with this company, and am lucky to have had such a positive experience. I have nothing but good words to say about my former boss, my co-workers and the customers I have come to know well. As my University journey begins I am well prepared to handle new career opportunities because of my experience with such a phenomenal company.
Pros
working with people
Customer oriented job, enjoyable workplace.
Cashier/Food Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 31, 2014
Includes stocking shelves, working in the freezer, and providing customers with meal planning ideas with respect to allergens and other issues.
Management is typically very well-run. I have worked for 2 separate locations.
Pros
positive work place, close-knit community
Customer Service & Cashier
Customer Service & Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 12, 2013
A typical day at work would have to be working for Customer Service and dealing with customers on a face to face basis. So basically they come in to buy groceries, but all the food is in the other side of the counter where employees stand and help them out. We get what they want. and tell them more about the food, and also gives us the chance of upselling products. I learned to do upselling and ways of marketing the food we have, which we get incentives on. My co-workers would be one other person who will be doing the same job as us, and when its not busy we stock food products and get it all organized. The hardest part of the job is when we get food coming from the truck and we stand in the freezer for more than 3 hours organizing all the food products. Enjoyable part of the job is a good working environment and the food are easy to remember and keep in mind.
Pros
incentives give us extra money in cash
Cons
working in the freezer for hours long.
Fun, Fun, Fun
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Tecumseh, ONMay 16, 2013
A nice customer service job that lets you talk and really get to know your customers. A typical day would be talking to customers and getting to know what foods they like and making suggestions on foods you think they would like. Always having a smile and saying hello is a must when it comes to our store and staff. We want our customers to have the best care and always leave with a smile. The hardest part of the job is when you cannot make a customer happy or help them find what they are looking for. The most enjoyable part is when someone is not having the best day and you turn it around and they leave with a smile.
Pros
free samples and dinners
Cons
working in freezers for hours at a time
great place to work with lots of incentives
Product Consultant (Former Employee) –  Caledonia, ONMay 6, 2012
during the day you would service customers, stock shelves inside the freezer as well as outside in the store area. Cleaning and handling cash, sampling products and cleaning of kitchen area. I learned many differnt things about cuts of meats, proper was of cooking different products, best ways to thaw food quickly and proper internal temperatures for cooked food. The manager was helpful and knowledgeable with all the training on products and so were the co-workers, we all got along great. The hardest part of the job would have had to have been working in the cold for long periods of time, there was also a lot of lifting on order days. The part I enjoyed the most was being able to work at your own pace and meeting all kinds of people and getting to know many customers on a first name basis, whene you suggest many foods you knew would be exactly what they were looking for and would enjoy.
Pros
a 15% discount on all purchases
Cons
working in the cold and working alone alot
productive fun work place with lots to learn
Product Consultant (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBJanuary 27, 2014
Never a dull moment; between keeping the shop looking good for customers and customer services like working the till and answering the phone, changing signs and stocking the freezer, this job was both enjoyable and challenging.
The hardest part of the job was stocking the freezer and mopping up the floors at the end of a long snowy day. The most enjoyable part was helping customers find what what they needed and suggesting complimentary up-sells.
Pros
food samples
Cons
never a free weekend
enjoyed customer inter-action
Customer service and food consultant (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBOctober 15, 2012
I really enjoyed the customer service and the people who came into the store.
Pros
experience i gained
Cons
salary
M&M Meatshops
inventory (Former Employee) –  Strathroy, ONSeptember 22, 2014
I worked inventory and rarely worked at the cash-register. The workers at this establishment are great to work with and the owners are very supportive and enthusiastic. I liked working there, also got a discount. This job was only seasonal at Christmas time for stocking shelves.
Pros
owner is part finnish like me
Great learning environment with good product!
Product Consultant (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONMay 22, 2014
Provide extensive customer service by giving specific and detailed product knowledge
Organize and maintain inventory counts
Provide general store and appliance maintenance
Pros
loyal coworkers and customers
Cons
short shifts