M&M Food Market Employee Reviews

Sheryl was an amazing person to work for and with!
Meal Advisor (Former Employee) –  Whitecourt, AB16 August 2016
I did enjoy my time at M&M's a typical day included lots of freezer work and helping customers find complete meals. I learned a lot about working with freezers and how to maintain them as well as better customer service skills. I absolutely loved working for Sheryl and Dave and all of my coworkers were amazing! It was such a fun, happy, and productive environment. The hardest part of the job was being in the freezer and lifting up to 50lbs boxes for long amounts of time but the best parts were working with some amazing people and the customers.
Pros
Getting to prepare and eat an abundance of food.
Cons
The cold
Not a bad place to work
Product Consultant (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON19 August 2016
learned how to balance a till and got the proper training. Very flexible with times and always asking if you are okay and everything. not a bad job. hardest part of the day is when it get slow
Pros
very flexible
Cons
nothing to do when slow
CASHIER ASSOCIATES (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 November 2016
They provide easy and healthy foods for busy families..easy to prepare and good tasting foods
I love working in foods industry.
awsome company to work for
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 August 2016
I enjoyed the people that worked there. The product was
excellent and easy to sell. It was very close to home which made
things much easier for me.
Enjoyable place to work
Product Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 May 2016
Every day there is a routine of checking if there are any specials, filling the shelves in the freezers and in the front and serving customers. I learned how to use a cash register and about customer service. I was close with most of the co-workers, everyone was very nice. It was nice when it was busy because the day would go by fast.
Pros
cake on my birthday
Cons
working in the walk in freezer
A wonderful place to work.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 March 2016
Working for M&M Food Market has given me the opportunity to use my skills that I learned being a Franchisee for 12 years.

The management and ownership appreciates the work I put in and I couldn't ask for a better staff.

Looking forward to many years with an amazing company.
Pros
Staff discounts on great food.
Cons
Being responsible for not running out of product.
Wonderful Place for Retail
Product Consultant (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas28 May 2015
If the salary was better and benefits were available I would stay there for my career. Everyone at head office and in the store is very friendly and easy to get along with. Working with the general public is also very refreshing
Pros
Amazing people to work for
Cons
Salary
Cashier, sale of merchandise, food consultant (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB20 March 2016
Loved working there, great costumers and environment, enjoyed working with my co-workers, management was excellent, unfortunately the store was sold.
Great for entry level part time work
Meal Planner (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON18 April 2016
I enjoy going into M&M'S to work everyone is friendly and the job can be fast paced which i enjoy. On a typical day I will serve customers, help them meal plan, stock the shelves, place orders for the next week, light cleaning duties, and operate the register.
Fun workplace
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Beloeil, QC9 September 2015
Job was enjoyable but hard to work in the freezer for long periods of time. The typical day was filled with many customers and we were there to explain what fast-frozen food was, and why it is so good and easy to prepare. We help them decide what to make for a meal and what to have with it. It was really fun when you had a new customer and you could motivate them into becoming a regular customer.
Pros
Good food
enjoyed customer inter-action
Customer service and food consultant (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB15 October 2012
I really enjoyed the customer service and the people who came into the store.
Pros
experience i gained
Cons
salary
Productive and friendly work environment.
Product Consultant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 October 2014
A typical day at work includes assisting customers, process purchases at the till, stocking the freezers, have friendly conversations with co-workers, and ensuring the store is clean and appealing to customers.
The manager at the store I work at is amazing: she makes us all feel like family, ensures our schedules do not conflict with any prior commitments (school, other jobs, family, etc). She trains all new employees and makes sure they are comfortable with the work environment. I cannot think of any reason not to like the management there.
Working here has definitely "brought me out of my shell": I am comfortable speaking with customers and making them feel welcome, and promoting products in the store.
Pros
Friendly co-workers.
Cons
New company owners making changes to the store's operations.
good place to work
Product Consultant (Former Employee) –  Essex, ON29 November 2015
customer service is a definite aspect to this job. wage is a bit lower, but good work environment. great job to build customer service experience.
Good environment to be with, especially around Christmas-gets very busy
Product Consultant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC27 December 2012
A typical day includes NO scheduled breaks- sometimes no break during the 8 hour day.
Management rarely showed, after a month and two weeks, I had still not received my record of employment.
Hardest part of the job would be just the cold of the freezer.
Hours would be either way too much, or too little- I would work one day for 10 hours, then the next for 3.

I did not get paid over time.
Many legal issues and management would not pay over time, give out breaks, as well as very uncomfortable to talk to- would intimidate the worker.
Pros
the discount of 15%. great staff.
Cons
working hours, management, breaks, legal issues, training was not done by management, but with other staff instead. very impersonal relationship with employer.
Very fun workplace
key holder (nights) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario17 March 2013
I was the key holder, which means i would be in charge of closing the store at night, checking if everything was in order, counting the cash in the register and putting it in the safe, mopping and sweeping the floors.

-I learned how to work a cash register, how to keep the logs in check, i learned how to prioritize, just basically better time management.

-The co-workers were amazing, they were nice, reliable and very honest.

-The hardest part of the job was probably the constant transition between the freezer and the store front.

-The most enjoyable part of the job, was just having the privilege of working with these guys and the general ambiance of the work place.
Pros
free samples
Cons
transition from the freezer to the front of the store
Productive, Engaging and Enjoyable Workplace
Product Consultant (Current Employee) –  Lakefield, ON19 July 2012
At M&M Meat Shops a typical day consists of helping customers with reliable friendly service, and aiding them in their frozen food needs. We also learn and use product rotation, product up-selling, and product deliveries. I have gotten to learn more business management practices while working here. My Management team as well as my coworkers are very friendly, approachable, and easy to work with and get along with. The hardest part of the job is obtaining a decent knowledge of the products available to customers because there are so many. M&M Meat Shops is overall, and enjoyable place to work for.
Pros
free product sampling
Cons
not enough hours
Friendly and Productive Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON26 August 2012
A typical day at work would start with opening the store, followed by counting and balancing the previous day's till. If the store is busy I would immediately begin greeting customers and giving them suggestions and options on our products. Apart from serving customers, daily tasks include, stocking, cleaning, taking inventory, receiving orders and taking freezer temperatures. At the end of the day I would be responsible for all the duties involved with closing the store.

Working for M&M Meat Shops has been an amazing experience. I've learned invaluable lessons on responsibility, commitment and customer service. At the age of nineteen I have successfully been able to put five years of work experience behind me with this company, and am lucky to have had such a positive experience. I have nothing but good words to say about my former boss, my co-workers and the customers I have come to know well. As my University journey begins I am well prepared to handle new career opportunities because of my experience with such a phenomenal company.
Pros
working with people
Fun place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON2 July 2015
Great staff to get along with. Management was very friendly. Co-workers worked well together. Hardest part was dealing with the cold. Enjoyed my shifts and interacting with customers about products.
Customer Service & Cashier
Customer Service & Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 December 2013
A typical day at work would have to be working for Customer Service and dealing with customers on a face to face basis. So basically they come in to buy groceries, but all the food is in the other side of the counter where employees stand and help them out. We get what they want. and tell them more about the food, and also gives us the chance of upselling products. I learned to do upselling and ways of marketing the food we have, which we get incentives on. My co-workers would be one other person who will be doing the same job as us, and when its not busy we stock food products and get it all organized. The hardest part of the job is when we get food coming from the truck and we stand in the freezer for more than 3 hours organizing all the food products. Enjoyable part of the job is a good working environment and the food are easy to remember and keep in mind.
Pros
Incentives give us extra money in cash
Cons
Working in the freezer for hours long.
Fun, Fun, Fun
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Tecumseh, ON16 May 2013
A nice customer service job that lets you talk and really get to know your customers. A typical day would be talking to customers and getting to know what foods they like and making suggestions on foods you think they would like. Always having a smile and saying hello is a must when it comes to our store and staff. We want our customers to have the best care and always leave with a smile. The hardest part of the job is when you cannot make a customer happy or help them find what they are looking for. The most enjoyable part is when someone is not having the best day and you turn it around and they leave with a smile.
Pros
Free Samples and Dinners
Cons
Working in freezers for hours at a time

2.8