M&M Food Market Employee Reviews in Canada

Sheryl was an amazing person to work for and with!
Meal Advisor (Former Employee) –  Whitecourt, ABAugust 16, 2016
I did enjoy my time at M&M's a typical day included lots of freezer work and helping customers find complete meals. I learned a lot about working with freezers and how to maintain them as well as better customer service skills. I absolutely loved working for Sheryl and Dave and all of my coworkers were amazing! It was such a fun, happy, and productive environment. The hardest part of the job was being in the freezer and lifting up to 50lbs boxes for long amounts of time but the best parts were working with some amazing people and the customers.
Pros
Getting to prepare and eat an abundance of food.
Cons
The cold
Enjoyable place to work
Product Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 4, 2016
Every day there is a routine of checking if there are any specials, filling the shelves in the freezers and in the front and serving customers. I learned how to use a cash register and about customer service. I was close with most of the co-workers, everyone was very nice. It was nice when it was busy because the day would go by fast.
Pros
cake on my birthday
Cons
working in the walk in freezer
A wonderful place to work.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 19, 2016
Working for M&M Food Market has given me the opportunity to use my skills that I learned being a Franchisee for 12 years.

The management and ownership appreciates the work I put in and I couldn't ask for a better staff.

Looking forward to many years with an amazing company.
Pros
Staff discounts on great food.
Cons
Being responsible for not running out of product.
Not a bad place to work
Product Consultant (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONAugust 19, 2016
learned how to balance a till and got the proper training. Very flexible with times and always asking if you are okay and everything. not a bad job. hardest part of the day is when it get slow
Pros
very flexible
Cons
nothing to do when slow
Great for entry level part time work
Meal Planner (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONApril 18, 2016
I enjoy going into M&M'S to work everyone is friendly and the job can be fast paced which i enjoy. On a typical day I will serve customers, help them meal plan, stock the shelves, place orders for the next week, light cleaning duties, and operate the register.
Cashier, sale of merchandise, food consultant (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBMarch 20, 2016
Loved working there, great costumers and environment, enjoyed working with my co-workers, management was excellent, unfortunately the store was sold.
Fun workplace
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Beloeil, QCSeptember 9, 2015
Job was enjoyable but hard to work in the freezer for long periods of time. The typical day was filled with many customers and we were there to explain what fast-frozen food was, and why it is so good and easy to prepare. We help them decide what to make for a meal and what to have with it. It was really fun when you had a new customer and you could motivate them into becoming a regular customer.
Pros
Good food
good place to work
Product Consultant (Former Employee) –  Essex, ONNovember 29, 2015
customer service is a definite aspect to this job. wage is a bit lower, but good work environment. great job to build customer service experience.
Good place to work and you get to know customers and their needs
Product Consultant (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, OntarioJune 28, 2015
I like the fact that we get to know the products in order to show and tell customers.

The "regular" customers we get to know, so we know what they are wanting to purchase and they enjoy sharing stories with us.
Pros
Get to know customers
Cons
Just minimum wage
Wonderful Place for Retail
Product Consultant (Current Employee) –  St. ThomasMay 28, 2015
If the salary was better and benefits were available I would stay there for my career. Everyone at head office and in the store is very friendly and easy to get along with. Working with the general public is also very refreshing
Pros
Amazing people to work for
Cons
Salary
Fun place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ONJuly 2, 2015
Great staff to get along with. Management was very friendly. Co-workers worked well together. Hardest part was dealing with the cold. Enjoyed my shifts and interacting with customers about products.
Productive and friendly work environment.
Product Consultant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 17, 2014
A typical day at work includes assisting customers, process purchases at the till, stocking the freezers, have friendly conversations with co-workers, and ensuring the store is clean and appealing to customers.
The manager at the store I work at is amazing: she makes us all feel like family, ensures our schedules do not conflict with any prior commitments (school, other jobs, family, etc). She trains all new employees and makes sure they are comfortable with the work environment. I cannot think of any reason not to like the management there.
Working here has definitely "brought me out of my shell": I am comfortable speaking with customers and making them feel welcome, and promoting products in the store.
Pros
Friendly co-workers.
Cons
New company owners making changes to the store's operations.
productive fun work place with lots to learn
Product Consultant (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBJanuary 27, 2014
Never a dull moment; between keeping the shop looking good for customers and customer services like working the till and answering the phone, changing signs and stocking the freezer, this job was both enjoyable and challenging.
The hardest part of the job was stocking the freezer and mopping up the floors at the end of a long snowy day. The most enjoyable part was helping customers find what what they needed and suggesting complimentary up-sells.
Pros
food samples
Cons
never a free weekend
Productive, Engaging and Enjoyable Workplace
Product Consultant (Current Employee) –  Lakefield, ONJuly 19, 2012
At M&M Meat Shops a typical day consists of helping customers with reliable friendly service, and aiding them in their frozen food needs. We also learn and use product rotation, product up-selling, and product deliveries. I have gotten to learn more business management practices while working here. My Management team as well as my coworkers are very friendly, approachable, and easy to work with and get along with. The hardest part of the job is obtaining a decent knowledge of the products available to customers because there are so many. M&M Meat Shops is overall, and enjoyable place to work for.
Pros
free product sampling
Cons
not enough hours
Fun, Fun, Fun
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Tecumseh, ONMay 16, 2013
A nice customer service job that lets you talk and really get to know your customers. A typical day would be talking to customers and getting to know what foods they like and making suggestions on foods you think they would like. Always having a smile and saying hello is a must when it comes to our store and staff. We want our customers to have the best care and always leave with a smile. The hardest part of the job is when you cannot make a customer happy or help them find what they are looking for. The most enjoyable part is when someone is not having the best day and you turn it around and they leave with a smile.
Pros
Free Samples and Dinners
Cons
Working in freezers for hours at a time
Very fun workplace
key holder (nights) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, OntarioMarch 17, 2013
I was the key holder, which means i would be in charge of closing the store at night, checking if everything was in order, counting the cash in the register and putting it in the safe, mopping and sweeping the floors.

-I learned how to work a cash register, how to keep the logs in check, i learned how to prioritize, just basically better time management.

-The co-workers were amazing, they were nice, reliable and very honest.

-The hardest part of the job was probably the constant transition between the freezer and the store front.

-The most enjoyable part of the job, was just having the privilege of working with these guys and the general ambiance of the work place.
Pros
free samples
Cons
transition from the freezer to the front of the store
Good environment to be with, especially around Christmas-gets very busy
Product Consultant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCDecember 27, 2012
A typical day includes NO scheduled breaks- sometimes no break during the 8 hour day.
Management rarely showed, after a month and two weeks, I had still not received my record of employment.
Hardest part of the job would be just the cold of the freezer.
Hours would be either way too much, or too little- I would work one day for 10 hours, then the next for 3.

I did not get paid over time.
Many legal issues and management would not pay over time, give out breaks, as well as very uncomfortable to talk to- would intimidate the worker.
Pros
the discount of 15%. great staff.
Cons
working hours, management, breaks, legal issues, training was not done by management, but with other staff instead. very impersonal relationship with employer.
working in a freezer
sales (Former Employee) –  etobicokeJune 21, 2015
the management wasnt the greatest he didnt like to pay for a month or more, and he didnt like that me and my sister both worked with him
Family Oriented Workplace
Marketing Coordinator/Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONAugust 28, 2013
M&M Meat Shops provides a great work/home life balance which is an added bonus.

A day at M&M Meat Shops would consist of providing support to both the Marketing Team as well as the franchisees. I do this by answering their questions and if I don't know the answer I will find it. There is never a full moment while at work.
Pros
Lunch is provided three times a week
M&M Meatshops
inventory (Former Employee) –  Strathroy, ONSeptember 22, 2014
I worked inventory and rarely worked at the cash-register. The workers at this establishment are great to work with and the owners are very supportive and enthusiastic. I liked working there, also got a discount. This job was only seasonal at Christmas time for stocking shelves.
Pros
Owner is part finnish like me

2.7