Lutron Electronics Employee Reviews

Warehouse work
OGA (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsville, VAFebruary 23, 2016
Palletizing roller shades after they come off the assembly line. Lots of heavy lifting and lots of bending over. Very physical job and a fast paced environment.
Pros
Good pay
Decent place to work!
Embedded Developer Intern (Former Employee) –  Coopersburg, PAFebruary 15, 2016
Lutron is placed in coopersburg. Its away from the city. They good excellent work but most of their work is just focused on the lighting industry. Nice place to for entry level positions. It's a fairly small city.
Good company
Inside Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Coopersburg, PAFebruary 7, 2016
A typical day at work involves mainly telephone calls to existing Lutron customers to sell enhanced warranties on their lighting systems, or upgrades. I enjoy the selling aspect of my role, however I find this company is not exactly progressive. Many of my co-workers have been at the company for many years, and seem to be content at their current role. I feel I have outgrown my current position, but the culture is to have been at the company for 3 years in a role before being considered for advancement. The majority of management are competent, smart individuals.

This is a solid company and I have enjoyed my time here, however I am very interested and motivated for a customer facing sales position with a training program to challenge me further.
Great People, Poor Managers
Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Coopersburg, PADecember 11, 2015
There are a lot of intelligent people who are incredibly talented but are held back from achieving greatness. This company focuses heavily on titles and is held up by a lot of bureaucracy. A person's potential is limited by their initial title at time of hire, which is dictated by the name of their degree. Career paths, organizational changes and even process changes are kept secret. Some managers intentionally block their employees from learning about opportunities to grow within the organization. The rules are different for certain people - not everyone is treated fairly. Certain employees are pushed up into management positions while some others are pushed back "into the box".

Any man who is fortunate enough to have a good supervisor at this company has a chance for a successful career. This is a great place to learn a lot about the industry, but is not a great place for women to advance their careers.

Many people and some managers are amazing to work with. Those are the people who are willing to stop what they're doing to help you out. Some team leaders are incredibly encouraging when a team member shows initiative, helping to guide them so that they can find ways to improve processes and enhance their careers. The rest of the managers should learn from these examples.

There is a strong focus on health and wellness. The company encourages sport groups and frequently hosts wellness activities on campus. The person who leads the wellness initiatives does an amazing job of not only promoting these activities but also engaging other employees in developing
  more... and organizing events.  less
Pros
Wellness Initiatives
Cons
Career Stagnation, Bureaucracy
A typical day at work
Office Clerk/Data Entry (Former Employee) –  St.KittsOctober 7, 2015
Ten employees had to filled a customer order of 240 Lighting Dimmers in half and hour. My co-workers are reliable and efficient.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Short breaks, HealthCare
Working Life
Technical Application Specialist (Current Employee) –  London, EastMay 8, 2015
On average, work is a little hectic however, sometimes it can be really stressful.

I have learned how to work under huge amounts of pressure, and to work with difficult people.

Management is okay. My supervisor is really good as he remains calm and collected. This allows me to work better in the environment we are in.

I get on really well with all of my co-workers.

The hardest part of my Job is when there are problems I have to troubleshoot yet, It's a brand new problem that I am unaware of.

The most enjoyable part of my Job is when I solve problems that no one has ever encountered.
Horrible Management, Smart People
Project Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Coopersburg, PAMarch 22, 2015
The people there are really very nice and intelligent people but the management is god-awful. All rules are handed down from the 90-year old owner. There's still a dress code and rigid hours even for the engineers. Furthermore, younger engineers can expect to work even longer hours to meet ridiculous deadlines on poorly managed projects. It's a great place to start your career and you'll learn a lot but get out as soon as you can.
Pros
good experience, they give responsibilities to younger employees, overall nice people
Cons
horrendous work-life balance, old-fashioned culture, horrible management
Great company
Technical Applications Representative (Current Employee) –  Coopersburg, PA 18015November 30, 2014
Great company, great culture, great products and there is a lot of opportunities to learn more than you would wish for.
On the other hand, management is a bit old fashion and moving up seems impossible if you don't know the right people.
MNC and working with different nation of people
Operation Manager (Former Employee) –  Singapore , CentralOctober 1, 2014
Hectic.
Management, and working with co workers in prevalent
Meeting orders on time with short lead time and meeting reporting on short deadline
Great company with unique culture
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Coopersburg PennsylvaniaAugust 17, 2014
Long days - challenging work. Very intelligent people around you. Management is very reasonable and constantly trying to better the process. Office/cube environment.
Pros
great pay/benefits
Cons
a lot of data entry, a lot of sitting throughout the day.
good job opp
Electronic Technician (Former Employee) –  Brookdale, PAJuly 31, 2014
smart people to work with need more activities to keep the cash flowing.
Old-style company stuck in the '50's
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Coopersberg, PAJuly 14, 2014
My managers were downright mean sometimes. I often felt bullied. I was never given any control over my projects. I wasn't able to use my brain, and often felt like just a pair of hands working under someone else's direction. Micromanaging was a part of the culture. Projects moved at a snail's pace.
Pros
interesting work, many people are nice and will provide mentoring (but they are not necessarily your own managers, i learned a lot from my peers, beautiful campus with a lovely hiking trail steps away, the building is beautiful and the cafeteria's nice
Cons
people here are cold and there are no formal performance reviews or development plans, contractors are treated like second-class workers, some employees are rude to the point of borderline bullying, project plans are rudimentory or non-existant, many contractors are let go with two-day's notice, the owner and his daughter are feared, and are not very nice, all of upper managment are men, and mostly white with maybe one exception
Co-worker friendly environment but top level management needs great improvement.
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Coopersburg, PAMay 7, 2014
Lutron is a great place for experience and to bruch up on the latest computer programs. Co workers are friendly and it is a fun atmosphere, unless someone from the "top" is present, making the department feel awkward. Also, contractors and free-lancers beware! (especially Graphic Designers or Technical Illustrators) No matter how good your work is, or how good an employee you are, Lutron can release you with no warning or reason. You are expendable. They make the hiring agency do the dirty work, by calling you in the evening to tell you it was your last day, and not to contact anyone at Lutron again... almost as if you had done something wrong. They have the hiring agency retrieve your personal belongings. I would not have written this review, if in my research, I have found many Graphic Designers who are "contract alumni" who have had the very same thing happen to them, sometimes after being there a year and making good friends, who are now no longer allowed to be in contact with you after your dismissal.
Pros
experience
Cons
no job security

Comment – May 14, 2014

Agreed. I had the exact thing happen to me recently. Without warning or reason I was told they no longer needed me, and they had the hiring agency tell me on a Saturday that the day before was my last day. Classless!

Great job
PRODUCT LINE EMPLOYEE (Former Employee) –  Alburtis, PAApril 21, 2014
Regular 40 hour job. I really liked my co-workers. The Line Leaders were very helpful and patient with all of the new employees. The hardest part of the job was trying to balance the line the way our superiors asked, since they tried different methods throughout my time there.
Pros
good salary, two 10 min. breaks along with hour long lunch break, good security, friendly staff
good place to work
warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Coopersburg, PAMarch 21, 2014
learned a lot working here and i know have warehouse experience
Pros
3 breaks per day. 2 15 min breaks and 1 30 min break
Cons
no benefits worked through a temp agency
Productive workplace, theres always something to do
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ashland, VAMarch 18, 2014
On a day to day basis there may be some catching up to do between shifts but its becomes apart of the job. Most production positions are very easy to learn and master. Almost always an opportunity for overtime and the ability to grow within the company. Nothing out of the ordinary. I have learned a lot from this company, process, how a company is ran, how to handle different situations, how to give ideas to promote the company. The hardest part of the job would most likely be getting on track and ahead with all work as a company. No in-house issues, mainly outside vendor and supplier related issues.
Good people, lots of talent
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coopersburg, PAFebruary 10, 2014
Many smart and talented people are employed there. It made the work environment enjoyable.
Good place to start your career
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Coopersburg, PAJanuary 6, 2014
Lots of smart people in the company. The company strives on innovation, driven by the owner.
World Leader in Lighting Control
Senior Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Coopersburg, PADecember 5, 2013
World Leader in Lighting Control. Based in Coopersburg, PA
Opportunity for advancement
International Credit Specialist/Project Specialist (Former Employee) –  Coopersburg, PADecember 2, 2013
Lutron ELectronics was a great place for my desire to learn the different aspects of the business.

I started in the International Customer Service, then moved the the Project Management area, and then I had the opportunity to go to the International Credit Department, where I was able to continue to use my bilingual skills and have the opportunity to learn about stand by letters of credit, and commercial L/Cs, and learned the other side of the business (having leverage to negotiate new releases and keep a low past due balance, as well as keeping customer still happy and satisfied)

Good people to work with.

The hardest part was it was a tremendous amount of work for only one person, I worked 10 hours almost each day.

I enjoyed what I did very much, I enjoyed the customer contact and being a liason between the customer and different areas in the organization.