Lush Cosmetics Employee Reviews

Easy going place to work at
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON7 January 2017
You can actually be yourself. The discount is great and the products are amazing. This company is the most transparent company I have worked for, there is nothing slimy about them
Pros
Shifts were fun, discount was amazing, you can be yourself
Cons
Sort of exhausting, especially when it gets busy
Fast paced ethical company, fair trade, and sustainable
Sales Leader (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC22 November 2016
Lush is an amazing brand with an amazing core value system. I appreciate their ethics and that they are a campaigning company. Passion for the environment, human rights and animal welfare really helps you to appreciate the Lush vibe.
Pros
Free product
Cons
Would not wish to discuss
Great company to work for
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 January 2017
Very enjoyable place to work. Part-time staff are always uplifting. However, the full-time floor leaders were very harsh in the way they spoke to part-time workers.
Pros
Great employee discount
Cons
Overly-stern floor leaders
Very positive staff interactions, wonderful product
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 April 2016
I adored working at LUSH. As a sales associate during the winter holiday season, I was expected to know a lot about the company and product, and help meet customers' needs accordingly. I learned a lot about customer service, and also about the various topical uses of miscellaneous plants. The managers were exceptionally well trained, and very supportive. My coworkers were many and I didn't get to know a lot of them very well, just because there were over 60 of us and I rarely worked with the same person more than three times, but they were all very friendly. I think the hardest part of this job was how emotionally draining it could be. There is a lot of emotional labour required in customer service and at times it could be overwhelming. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to work with a product that I believed in, and for a company that treated every person in it as, well, people. The discount was pretty awesome, too.
Pros
Superb management
Cons
Very physically and emotionally demanding
Hardwork and fun
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 November 2016
Worked in different departments and bubbles is the most fun and they promote team work. As for Ballistic department, the supervisor always finds something to complain about even when the productivity of the products is at 100%
Pros
Free Bath Bombs
Cons
Hardwork
Fun place to work but not a career
Leader/In-Shop Trainer (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON31 December 2016
I love Lush but felt I wasn't given the tools to grow or succeed, after working here for a year I felt that I could no longer handle the lack of ambition around me
Energizing and fun work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK21 June 2016
Working here has been great. A typical day involves high-energy interaction with all different people. Working at Lush really lets you get to know your customers and feel at ease with them before even doing any selling. It can be a bit hectic at times, especially around Christmas, but those days go by quick as long as you can handle the pressure. The staff here are very supportive and understanding, I've found them to be more like friends & family than just coworkers. Management is supportive of you as well, taking care of everyone in the shop. Your managers will gladly help guide you through the jungle that is your first few weeks at the shop, but know when to let go. Moving up within the company is encouraged as well, specialty roles are available if you speak to your management team! The only downsides to the job are customers every now and then (as with any other retail job), being on your feet all day, and keeping energized & excited interactions with customers. It can definitely be difficult to click with each person you help. Overall, its a great place to work. Very fun, supportive, and somewhat competitive, in the friendliest fashion, which helps encourage you to keep doing better. You can feel proud of your work as well, by working with a company that has stood by such strong and important ethics for years.
Pros
Feeling proud of the company you work for
Cons
High-energy is a constant necessity
Fun products, terrible everything else
Manager (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON1 November 2013
Lush is a fun place to work, assuming you like the other employees. However, upper management is ridiculous, don't answer queries, get mad when you don't meet some objective that you didn't know existed, and generally are impossible to get a hold of. As a manager, you don't even know who your 'supervisor' is because of the structure of upper management!

Salary has gotten better since I've been there, I have heard, but when I was there it wasn't competitive, benefits weren't great, and they had no RRSP program to speak of.

There's no place to go in terms of advancement. They cherry pick their favourite people regardless of competence.

Work life balance is pretty good since it's retail; you don't take anything home with you when you leave.
Happy people making happy soap!
Online Orders (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON29 December 2016
The environment is very upbeat and everyone is extremely inviting with open arms. It's a fast paced job but if you like to be on your toes, it's a perfect place to be!
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 December 2016
Great workplace and staff , We are like a little familly and we are treated with respect , Good values and we are not testing on animals ,
Pros
Great values
Cons
N/A
Life at Lush
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON11 March 2016
A typical day at work involved getting a debriefing as to what the goal for the team was. I learned a lot about myself, and that I have a passion for helping people, world class understanding that helped with the interpersonal connection I established with each customer and team member. Management was clear, providing my co-workers and I responsibilities that applied to our strengths while helping with our weaknesses. The hardest part about the job was the realization that I was only apart of the seasonal team and my days were numbered. The most enjoyable part of the job I would say would have to be the fact that I fundamentally get to make people happy, spread product and company awareness, feel better about themselves and overall have a great time during their visit.
Safe environment and productive workplace.
Seasonal Production Assistant in Lush Ballistics (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 April 2016
A typical day at work would require setting up my station/table depending on which product I would be making and reaching daily targets which requires making a certain amount or number of what they need. Different products have different targets and some are made in teams and others are not. What I've learnt are the basic safety needs and precautions including the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System. The management is really well because they always keep the staffs updated such as daily huddles, progress and making sure of their safety and comfort. My co-workers were a big part of job because I got to work and cooperate while improving individually to learn and work well with others. Everyone is on the same floor which involves us all motivating each other and at the end of the day we are all a team. The hardest part of the job was meeting daily targets which contains consistency and a fast pace work environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to make different products which made the workplace a lot more productive and fun.
Great co-workers
business analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 November 2015
Pros
Its a great place to work - getting great challenge

Cons
The smell of the product will need alot of getting used to

Advice to Management
Better compensation
Passionate. Fun. Catty.
(Senior) Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 July 2016
Lush is a great place to be passionate. Passionate about the products, about causes, and passionate about drama.

The company itself is amazing. I still love and solely use their products for skincare. Canadian made and some of the most natural and eco-friendly products in my bathroom. The upper management is amazing, and down to earth. They frequently stop in and are on a first name basis with old-timers. The holiday bash is alway huge, and everyone from seasonals to executives eat, drink, and be merry! Its really wonderful!!!

Store management all tend to be pretty young, and somewhat unprofessional. My first manager was amazing, but she was rarely there when I was because of her other responsibilities as an eco-warrior/ trainer extraordinaire. This left the assistant manager and the floor leaders, and believe me, there were lots of games - the favourites got the best shifts, or the most shifts, and since there were way too many staff on the floor, there were never enough hours, even for full-timers. They would get into literal screaming matches in the backroom, loud enough for the customers to hear! They also bug you to constantly harass the customers until either they buy something or get out.

It was a great part-time job around the holidays, the discount was pretty sweet. And as long as you could stay outside the mgmt/floor lead drama and didn't require hours to make a living, the job was pretty amazing.
Pros
Passionate, well-trained, 50% discount, great staff parties!
Cons
Not enough hours, personal drama in store mgmt
great company
Visual Merchandiser, Social Media Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 September 2016
LUSH treats staff very well, great environment and customer service. The energy is always high and positive in the shop.
Productive, friendly, fun, and young workplace!
Ballistics Team Member (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 February 2016
An amazing job I do recommend to everyone. In my department we were responsible for making the bath bombs, reaching a target of finished bath bombs everyday which varies everyday depending on what you are on. Management is not bad, I have seen way worse at other jobs the only thing that bugs me is that the ones who fire you, the top managers don't really see you work. Yet they have the final say, and we do understand that at the end of the day if your not producing the amount of bath bombs they need you are likely to get fired. We have 'Team Leaders' who are the shift supervisors if you will, and they help us do everything from pressing, to getting items we need to complete tasks, where things are suppose to be when it comes to setting up the day, and such. They have no say in who stays and goes, so they could see someone with amazing talent and motivation to the company who a.) may miss a few days due to life. b.) may not reach target on every bomb when it is the first few times pressing it. and they say say all they want to the bigger bosses but it doesn't really matter. So getting from seasonal to full-time can be a difficult road. Co-workers are super fun, everyone ranges form 18-35 with the occasional person over 35 so its very relaxed when its time for lunch, and when we work. We work hard. Most enjoyable part was meeting the people I did and the experience I got from even the few months I was there. Hoping one day I can get full time!!
Pros
Free Lunches Sometimes
Cons
Odd Hours
Fun relaxed workplace
Seasonal Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 April 2016
Easy-going staff and management, this is usually a good thing, although can be lacking if you actually need something from them. Lots of variety to avoid getting too repetitive. Perks for full time employees such as paid transit and opportunities for courses, travel etc.
Stimulating and fun workplace!
SEASONAL SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 March 2016
I was always learning something new, whether it be a new approach to customers, new products, or even just a skill that came with the store. Being my first job, I learned a lot about retail and so far I've loved it, I get to experience a wide variety of people and it's always exciting. The workers act like a big happy family and we were always bringing other people in and doing our best to make them feel at home. The hardest part of this job was learning to come out of my shell, I'm a quiet person, but working in an environment I'm passionate about and can relate to really let me express and be myself, making it easier to become more out going. Overall, I love LUSH and will always be a "Lushie", getting the chance to work at the store was an amazing opportunity and I'm glad that that was my first job as it made me feel ready to go out and experience other jobs.
Pros
Product discount, working in an ethical environment, fun people
Cons
Overwhelming smells, small store
An amazing environment, with even more amazing people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 January 2016
Everyday I was happy to go work. I would clock in, and then be "chatted in", so I would be told our goals and small details on the side. I would then be zoned in a certain part of the store and set my own personal goal. Every hour or two, we would be switched to a different zone, so it was always changing, it was never a dull moment. The customers are a big part of why I loved working there. They were always so polite and genuine. They were funny and very outgoing, even the ones who seemed a little shy at first. I think the vibe the employees at LUSH put out is what makes the customers comfortable. The hardest part of the job was learning how to adjust to the smell! It was a fairly easy job, being a people person I enjoy interacting with people. My management team was always super excited for each and every day. They were supportive and motivating. My co-workers were the same. I was treated like part of a family, and it was an amazing experience. I don't have a favourite, or most enjoyable part of the job because it was all so wonderful.
Pros
the employees, the environment, and the customers
good benefits
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON2 September 2015
BENEFITS ARE GOOD. SALARY IS ALSO GOOD BECAUSE THEY DO NOT START WITH MINIMUM WAGE. THEY HAVE VERY GOOD ETHICAL VALUES AS A COMPANY.
benefits
Cons
a little tiring

4.3