Lush Cosmetics Employee Reviews

Great company with fantastic co workers and even better management
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 16, 2016
i worked as a production assistant at lush for a month and the daily tasks were as follows.
set up a table with one of the products that need to be un molded or packaged. we would work in groups of 3-5 people and spend the first hour or 2 working on that.
then we would be assigned to help make a certain product in the afternoon which involves pouring the liquid state of soaps/oils into containers.
the co workers i had were the best part of the job. very diverse but welcoming and friendly. I never felt out of place or had confusions about what i needed to do.
management is unlike any other. you can talk to them on a person to person basis and were very flexible with hours, time off, etc.
Pros
diverse workplace, management, co workers, good hours
Cons
lot of standing, physically demanding
Amazing co-workers, great training, still a "mall" job.
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSJuly 17, 2016
Working for Lush was an experience. The training is extremely in depth and very comprehensive. My co-workers were the coolest people I've met and I'm still friends with some of them. It is a typical 'mall' job - high staff turnover, skipped breaks. But they do a really good job at making it seem worth it.

They do try to promote from within, but it often doesn't work out that way. That said, the sales training and soft skills learned are phenomenal and the discount on products is unreal, so all and all I recommend it.
Pros
Seriously awesome discount, Really fun coworkers
Cons
Typical "mall" retail position.
Life at Lush
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONMarch 11, 2016
A typical day at work involved getting a debriefing as to what the goal for the team was. I learned a lot about myself, and that I have a passion for helping people, world class understanding that helped with the interpersonal connection I established with each customer and team member. Management was clear, providing my co-workers and I responsibilities that applied to our strengths while helping with our weaknesses. The hardest part about the job was the realization that I was only apart of the seasonal team and my days were numbered. The most enjoyable part of the job I would say would have to be the fact that I fundamentally get to make people happy, spread product and company awareness, feel better about themselves and overall have a great time during their visit.
I had a blast working for lush
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONJune 7, 2016
When I worked at lush for the christmas season i had a great time, there was always fun events going on in the factory and the work enviroment was always fast paced and fun. Managers always were there to help and assist you when you needed an extra hand. I learned a lot about team work and essential oils and fruits the hardest part of the job would be standing on your feet for long periods of time but they had stress mats (those mats you stand on like rubber ones).

I would work for lush again if the opportunity arose.
Pros
Work events and community events
Cons
Standing for long hours
Great co-workers
business analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 14, 2015
Pros
Its a great place to work - getting great challenge

Cons
The smell of the product will need alot of getting used to

Advice to Management
Better compensation
Productive, friendly, fun, and young workplace!
Ballistics Team Member (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 2, 2016
An amazing job I do recommend to everyone. In my department we were responsible for making the bath bombs, reaching a target of finished bath bombs everyday which varies everyday depending on what you are on. Management is not bad, I have seen way worse at other jobs the only thing that bugs me is that the ones who fire you, the top managers don't really see you work. Yet they have the final say, and we do understand that at the end of the day if your not producing the amount of bath bombs they need you are likely to get fired. We have 'Team Leaders' who are the shift supervisors if you will, and they help us do everything from pressing, to getting items we need to complete tasks, where things are suppose to be when it comes to setting up the day, and such. They have no say in who stays and goes, so they could see someone with amazing talent and motivation to the company who a.) may miss a few days due to life. b.) may not reach target on every bomb when it is the first few times pressing it. and they say say all they want to the bigger bosses but it doesn't really matter. So getting from seasonal to full-time can be a difficult road. Co-workers are super fun, everyone ranges form 18-35 with the occasional person over 35 so its very relaxed when its time for lunch, and when we work. We work hard. Most enjoyable part was meeting the people I did and the experience I got from even the few months I was there. Hoping one day I can get full time!!
Pros
Free Lunches Sometimes
Cons
Odd Hours
Very positive staff interactions, wonderful product
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 30, 2016
I adored working at LUSH. As a sales associate during the winter holiday season, I was expected to know a lot about the company and product, and help meet customers' needs accordingly. I learned a lot about customer service, and also about the various topical uses of miscellaneous plants. The managers were exceptionally well trained, and very supportive. My coworkers were many and I didn't get to know a lot of them very well, just because there were over 60 of us and I rarely worked with the same person more than three times, but they were all very friendly. I think the hardest part of this job was how emotionally draining it could be. There is a lot of emotional labour required in customer service and at times it could be overwhelming. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to work with a product that I believed in, and for a company that treated every person in it as, well, people. The discount was pretty awesome, too.
Pros
Superb management
Cons
Very physically and emotionally demanding
Great place to work if the upper management like you
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 27, 2016
Lush is a wonderful company and its values are incredible. If thr upper management stood by those same values if would be an amazing place to work. The structure is terrible and upper management are so tight that it borders on unprofessional. It was a really disappointing experience.
Pros
Great product and great discounts
Cons
Unprofessional and catty upper management
Stimulating and fun workplace!
SEASONAL SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 16, 2016
I was always learning something new, whether it be a new approach to customers, new products, or even just a skill that came with the store. Being my first job, I learned a lot about retail and so far I've loved it, I get to experience a wide variety of people and it's always exciting. The workers act like a big happy family and we were always bringing other people in and doing our best to make them feel at home. The hardest part of this job was learning to come out of my shell, I'm a quiet person, but working in an environment I'm passionate about and can relate to really let me express and be myself, making it easier to become more out going. Overall, I love LUSH and will always be a "Lushie", getting the chance to work at the store was an amazing opportunity and I'm glad that that was my first job as it made me feel ready to go out and experience other jobs.
Pros
Product discount, working in an ethical environment, fun people
Cons
Overwhelming smells, small store
Overall decent experience.
Ballistics Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  CanadaMarch 18, 2016
I worked in manufacturing, and it was okay. Even if you were part-time, you were working 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and the starting pay was above minimum wage so you make some pretty good money. The company is still growing so the daily targets increase and the manager in my department had no idea what he was doing. Other than that, everything was decent.
Pros
The pay and coworkers
Cons
Manager
Safe environment and productive workplace.
Seasonal Production Assistant in Lush Ballistics (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 12, 2016
A typical day at work would require setting up my station/table depending on which product I would be making and reaching daily targets which requires making a certain amount or number of what they need. Different products have different targets and some are made in teams and others are not. What I've learnt are the basic safety needs and precautions including the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System. The management is really well because they always keep the staffs updated such as daily huddles, progress and making sure of their safety and comfort. My co-workers were a big part of job because I got to work and cooperate while improving individually to learn and work well with others. Everyone is on the same floor which involves us all motivating each other and at the end of the day we are all a team. The hardest part of the job was meeting daily targets which contains consistency and a fast pace work environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to make different products which made the workplace a lot more productive and fun.
An amazing environment, with even more amazing people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 20, 2016
Everyday I was happy to go work. I would clock in, and then be "chatted in", so I would be told our goals and small details on the side. I would then be zoned in a certain part of the store and set my own personal goal. Every hour or two, we would be switched to a different zone, so it was always changing, it was never a dull moment. The customers are a big part of why I loved working there. They were always so polite and genuine. They were funny and very outgoing, even the ones who seemed a little shy at first. I think the vibe the employees at LUSH put out is what makes the customers comfortable. The hardest part of the job was learning how to adjust to the smell! It was a fairly easy job, being a people person I enjoy interacting with people. My management team was always super excited for each and every day. They were supportive and motivating. My co-workers were the same. I was treated like part of a family, and it was an amazing experience. I don't have a favourite, or most enjoyable part of the job because it was all so wonderful.
Pros
the employees, the environment, and the customers
Fun products, terrible everything else
Manager (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONNovember 1, 2013
Lush is a fun place to work, assuming you like the other employees. However, upper management is ridiculous, don't answer queries, get mad when you don't meet some objective that you didn't know existed, and generally are impossible to get a hold of. As a manager, you don't even know who your 'supervisor' is because of the structure of upper management!

Salary has gotten better since I've been there, I have heard, but when I was there it wasn't competitive, benefits weren't great, and they had no RRSP program to speak of.

There's no place to go in terms of advancement. They cherry pick their favourite people regardless of competence.

Work life balance is pretty good since it's retail; you don't take anything home with you when you leave.
Energizing and fun work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJune 21, 2016
Working here has been great. A typical day involves high-energy interaction with all different people. Working at Lush really lets you get to know your customers and feel at ease with them before even doing any selling. It can be a bit hectic at times, especially around Christmas, but those days go by quick as long as you can handle the pressure. The staff here are very supportive and understanding, I've found them to be more like friends & family than just coworkers. Management is supportive of you as well, taking care of everyone in the shop. Your managers will gladly help guide you through the jungle that is your first few weeks at the shop, but know when to let go. Moving up within the company is encouraged as well, specialty roles are available if you speak to your management team! The only downsides to the job are customers every now and then (as with any other retail job), being on your feet all day, and keeping energized & excited interactions with customers. It can definitely be difficult to click with each person you help. Overall, its a great place to work. Very fun, supportive, and somewhat competitive, in the friendliest fashion, which helps encourage you to keep doing better. You can feel proud of your work as well, by working with a company that has stood by such strong and important ethics for years.
Pros
Feeling proud of the company you work for
Cons
High-energy is a constant necessity
good benefits
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONSeptember 2, 2015
BENEFITS ARE GOOD. SALARY IS ALSO GOOD BECAUSE THEY DO NOT START WITH MINIMUM WAGE. THEY HAVE VERY GOOD ETHICAL VALUES AS A COMPANY.
benefits
Cons
a little tiring
Fun relaxed workplace
Seasonal Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 25, 2016
Easy-going staff and management, this is usually a good thing, although can be lacking if you actually need something from them. Lots of variety to avoid getting too repetitive. Perks for full time employees such as paid transit and opportunities for courses, travel etc.
Passionate. Fun. Catty.
(Senior) Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 21, 2016
Lush is a great place to be passionate. Passionate about the products, about causes, and passionate about drama.

The company itself is amazing. I still love and solely use their products for skincare. Canadian made and some of the most natural and eco-friendly products in my bathroom. The upper management is amazing, and down to earth. They frequently stop in and are on a first name basis with old-timers. The holiday bash is alway huge, and everyone from seasonals to executives eat, drink, and be merry! Its really wonderful!!!

Store management all tend to be pretty young, and somewhat unprofessional. My first manager was amazing, but she was rarely there when I was because of her other responsibilities as an eco-warrior/ trainer extraordinaire. This left the assistant manager and the floor leaders, and believe me, there were lots of games - the favourites got the best shifts, or the most shifts, and since there were way too many staff on the floor, there were never enough hours, even for full-timers. They would get into literal screaming matches in the backroom, loud enough for the customers to hear! They also bug you to constantly harass the customers until either they buy something or get out.

It was a great part-time job around the holidays, the discount was pretty sweet. And as long as you could stay outside the mgmt/floor lead drama and didn't require hours to make a living, the job was pretty amazing.
Pros
Passionate, well-trained, 50% discount, great staff parties!
Cons
Not enough hours, personal drama in store mgmt
Productive Workplace, Great leadership
Factory worker and Production assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 5, 2016
Learned how to keep up in a fast paced environment, as well as how to create products that are uniform. Great leadership, easy to talk to managers as well as co-workers, very understanding company that tries to teach its employees the proper way to complete tasks.
Pros
Fun, up-beat
Cons
Long hours of standing
Productive work place and great team leads, co workers and manager
Order Picker, Packer and Shipper - seasonal (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioAugust 12, 2015
Starting right away to reach our daily goal with everyone working as a team and constantly helping each other out. I have learned that hard-work in every industry is essential and the work load can easily be overcome with every employee's force and experience. The manager is very giving to his workers and treats everyone as a valuable as the company. The job was bearable, it could be very stressful when problems occur unexpectedly and could be very unpredictable. However, everything that happens in a days work makes it all worth it and gives a rewarding feeling.
Pros
Perfect management on break times, long hours
Cons
Long Hours
Great
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 7, 2016
Daily routine; check in with floor leader, learn about the store goal, make a personal goal, come up with strategies to meet such goals; sell sell sell, demo demo demo, check out.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Managers had their favorites

4.2