The Operations Assistant is an administrative supporting role to the operations department; most specifically the president, VP operations and Dispatch. The role will encompass compliance issues with vessel entries for customs and brokerages, assist Dispatch with reporting, information gathering, trade cost accruals and to assist the department in compiling various information for reporting and analysis of vessel and customer performance.
Maintain Customs and broker compliance for each vessel using software programs
Assist the traffic department in fielding incoming calls from customers, docks and vessels
Assist the VP Operations in the maintaining records for:
- Vessel trip histories – digital and paper copies
- Security documentation
- Scan, forward and compile documents as requested
- Compile and accrue Trade and Handling costs for financial accrual and tracking
- Field incoming customer calls when dispatch is busy
- Assist dispatch as directed by the immediate supervisor
- Weekend on call (approximately 1 weekend out of every 4)
- Assist the President as needed
- Assist the VP Operations as needed
- Assist Dispatch as needed
The ideal candidate will be a trustworthy and mature individual with experience working in a fast paced environment. Experience in Shipping or transportation is an asset but not a requirement. The chosen individual will be a self starter with leadership and supervisory capabilities who can clearly communicate both verbally or in writing. The successful applicant must be diligent, organized and resourceful in their work habits; he or she will be a dynamic thinker that can process multiple items and tasks, often on the spot or with very little time to make decisions. Strong people skills are essential, the ability to build relationships with the people and know the value to the success of their role. Ability to handle the stress and pressure of deadlines and has a thick skin, is not easily intimidated.
Candidate must have strong Microsoft office skills with an emphasis on Excel, Word and Outlook. Familiarity with Great Plains, Access and customs software would be an asset but not a requirement.
General Working Terms
- Administrative position located at Head Office, Port Dover, ON
- Hours 8 to 5, 1 hr lunch, M-F
- Weekend call duties specific to operations
- Available for urgent matters related to operations or Customs
- Salaried Position, pay, vacation period & benefits to be discussed at time of job offer
- Some sporadic travel required
Please address all inquiries before the end of business December 14, 2012
Ms. Casey Fitzpatrick
Lower Lakes Towing Ltd.