Lowe's Employee Reviews in Canada

Nice PT job
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 8, 2015
Employees are friendly, hard-wroking.
Experiences with management have been 50/50; there's been times where requests with management is good, but just as many times frustrating and annoying.
Typical 8 hour days with a 1 hour lunch, with very little overtime possible.
Keeps you on your feet most of the day.
Flexibility of hours is alright.
More-than-alright pay for a part-time job.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Demanding job (physically and socially)
Great Enviroment Not so great with salary
Senior Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONDecember 11, 2015
A typical day at Lowes starts and ends with the customer. Serving them in any way possible. Keeping the lines flowing and keeping the store and products presentable.
From Lowes I learned how to use Kronos and Genises P.O.S Programs.
The management team always had your back and was very helpful, but there was not always great communication going from the management to the employees, but things always worked out on the end.
The co-workers pleasant and easy to work with. There was great communication from one co-worker to another.
The hardest part of my job I would say were the hours.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people everyday, and having interesting conversations with them, and being able to build a friendly relationship with them. I would always be looking forward to meeting the regulars each day.
Also, I would learn new things from my customers almost every week.
Pros
Fridays $2.00 breakfests, Free BBQ's each month. Customers. Family enviroment
Cons
Night Shifts
Team members are great to work with and cooperative.
Distribution Planning Manager (Former Employee) –  Milton, OntarioSeptember 10, 2015
Lowe's US division operates at a more structuresd and organized environment. The Canadian division does not like to follow the same rules and pushes back to Canadianize the operation. Unfortunate for the individuals that represent the DC and communicate and work with the US head quarters.
Pros
Free Lunches and shirts
Cons
poor direction by senior management
Horrid hours
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJanuary 30, 2016
Schedule is awful with family. a lot of politics in management.
Friendly staff mainly. Poor pay for responsibilities.
Incompetence Left, Right and Center
Customer Service Associate- Paint (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONJuly 4, 2016
Are you under 30 and a male? If the answer is yes prepare to be abused.

As a male under 30, you will be expected to complete the work of 3-6 people, while other employees stand around giving you brainless smiles and otherwise being useless.

Get hurt doing such work, oh well, sorry for you. You're a part timer cause' we're to cheap to pay benefits, and we'll deny any claims made through workers' comp.

Aside from being a mule this is a company where the management knows less than the front line employees, yet this is the case at Lowe's.

You will be called into the office and disciplined for not asking enough questions, you begin asking more questions and your manager cannot answer as they themselves do not know.

ASM's are also a joke, many of them struggle to find the intelligence to walk and talk and the same time, let alone effectively manage

Finally Equipment is pathetic. Be prepared to have your equipment fail on a daily basis. Also be prepared either not to have your equipment fixed at all, or to have a half-hearted repair job done to it.

Do Yourself a Favour and Work Elsewhere
Pros
Some of the Co-workers
Cons
Cheap Cheap Cheap, Sexist Expectations, Zero Regard for Employees, Zero Advancement, Poor Wages, Won't give Full-Time (Too Cheap to pay Benefits)
Outstanding team members
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 26, 2015
Loved working there. Clean store. Good processes in place. Some senior managers better than others. Better wages than other box stores.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
Great working environment with even better people.
Sales Asscoiate (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ONAugust 7, 2015
Upon arrival the people that I interacted with were great to talk to. The employees are incredibly welcoming, and are willing to teach you and help you. The only downfall that I have to give is that you are basically thrown onto the floor with little teaching about the products you are dealing with. You have to be good with learning on your feet, and be able to tell people that you don't know.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Fast pace enviroment
Strong Relationships
Department Manager, Full-time (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONOctober 8, 2015
Working at Lowe's has been a pleasure. The people you work with are always one of a kind. I have met some amazing people during my time with Lowe's, some of which have become great friends even outside of work.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Under Staffed
Very Supportive of employees, great place to work
Overnight Lead Receiver and Stock Personnel (Former Employee) –  London, ONOctober 6, 2015
Lowe's was very supportive of their employees and was always giving encouragement to strive for the best in everything. Co-workers were great to work with and the job was very enjoyable.
Great working environment with amazing co-workers
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 24, 2015
Lowe's is a great place to work, friendly and welcoming staff with supportive management. Working for Lowe's it is about the customer experience. I have learned to love what I do know mater the job path, while at Lowe's they have provided me with a lot of training and experience to excel in any career choice. A typical day for myself at Lowe's might be a little different then most, as I started as a cashier and worked my way up from there. I shortly moved from cashier to administrative office, special orders and Lowe's.ca. From there I was able to move to Full-time Paint and Home Decor Sales Associate. Now a Full-Time Outdoor Seasonal Associate. Although that is the label given to me I am always egar to help out any department, jumping on cash to going to grab an order from the back of receiving. At Lowe's I have been able to grow and am always challenged with new tasks everyday.
not great if your not best friends with the managment
general labourer (Former Employee) –  RDC Milton, OntJuly 27, 2015
the jobs are easy, but if you chose to stay quite and to yourself your told that you are being negative. If your not best friends with the supervisors then you are treated like dirt. and by best friends I mean going out after work for beers and dinner and stuff, also you will never move up in the company.
Pros
bounses
Cons
never treated like a part of the team.
Culture is a challenge
Director, Commercial Sales (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 3, 2015
Really enjoyed what I was responsible for, the team I worked with and the clients we satisfied. The work environment was quite negative, however, and collaborative team work became a challenge.
Company that will just throw you away
Loader/ yard marshall (Former Employee) –  Milton RDCJune 29, 2015
Good workplace with amazing supervisors who got your back no matter what, BUT corrupt upper management and HR..

less than 2 weeks away from full time employment, i get harassed by a fellow worker, then they do a shady investigation and fire me. This is the kind of company where you have to watch who you work with and who you talk to, cause they will fire you wrongfully and toss you under the bus...

American companies..... All i have to say
Nice place, but upper management needs help
Commercial Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 15, 2015
I liked working there for a large portion of the job, it was stressful but rewarding kind of. I however had a problem of the macro-managing from your plethora of managers to report to. You would get different orders from different managers, very often conflicting with each other. They demanded too many things (such as look after another department even though youre drowning in work from your own department). When the store first started (I helped build the store), its manager was meh, but the next manager was amazing. He would go around to the departments and ask if they needed help, and he had a hand in everything but didnt feel like he was breathing down your neck. He was an awesome manager, keyword was. I assume he had a lot of pressure from the higher ups because he changed drastically to a delegate type of manager without really listening to the employees on their feedback.

Being there from the beginning and seeing people come and go was hard but you got to work with a lot of nice people (also a lot of bad ones too). It was very fast paced but overall not a terrible place to work.
Productive, Organized, Fun
Loss Prevention and Safety Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 5, 2015
I start off with reviewing the pervious days refunds and bill out of merchandise. I would then plan my week, I have counts that need to be done, ensure that the departments complete their counts in a timely manner. Ensure that departments are completing operational walks and that they are accurate. Follow up on shrink issues with operational, internal and external factors. I complete audits within the store. I do safety training with the store including New Hire Orientations. Help run the safety committee.
Time management is something that I have learned in order to do everything that is expected and more I need to ensure that my time is well managed and that I hit every dead line given to me.
My co-workers work in other locations, we do speak I get called with questions from others about how to do tasks etc.
The hardest part of my job is the hours. I am currently enrolled in the Part Time Paralegal program and it is hard working 17 hour days including school.
Most enjoyable part that every day there is something new and a new challenge.
Safe and good Customer service focused goals
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Cambridge ONJune 10, 2015
The main focus is customer service. Without the customer we wouldn't have a job. A lot of tasking and resetting of merchandise to correspond with the changing flyer every week. Good management team and good co-workers. I'm always trying to improve my customer service skills, getting better at solving the customers problems quickly.
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
short staffed on occasion
good enviroment to work in
Flooring sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 19, 2015
It was a good place to work, but they didn't provide me with enough hours. They also only offered seasonal employment which means I only work during the summer.
Pros
Friendly enviroment
Cons
short hours, random shift scheduling.
Great atmosphere and co-workers
customer service associate (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONMay 26, 2015
Lowe's is a great place to work there is potential to move to different positions, and room for some growth. The management is good to work with and is always willing to listen. Work days mainly include helping customers and re-stocking store shelves, but for me it also includes managing employees, and attending to urgent matters. Co-workers at Lowe's are great everyone has a good attitude and come willing to work on a daily basis. The hardest part of the job for me is trying to get everything that needs to be done, done, because of how busy the store can get even with a good work ethic it is still very challenging some days.
Pros
Free lunches some times, good atmosphere, great people
lowes
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  regina skOctober 5, 2015
it was great working with lowes . i got lot of customer service experience and got good experience for administrative skills too.
Pros
gained experience
Cons
management
over worked under paid
Night Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  3010 Provincial RDOctober 15, 2015
minimum wage with no shift premium for midnights.
1/2 unpaid lunch and not allowed to leave the store.
Perfect for students.