Lowe's Employee Reviews in Canada

lowes
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  regina skOctober 5, 2015
it was great working with lowes . i got lot of customer service experience and got good experience for administrative skills too.
Pros
gained experience
Cons
management
Culture is a challenge
Director, Commercial Sales (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 3, 2015
Really enjoyed what I was responsible for, the team I worked with and the clients we satisfied. The work environment was quite negative, however, and collaborative team work became a challenge.
typical day
Assistant store Manager (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BCOctober 1, 2015
company has many opportunities. There are over 15 depts. and many positions .The hours are long but the staff are ususally good.
Pros
good product
Productive and Fun workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WASeptember 30, 2015
Lowe's is an awesome company to work for. Whether transferring or moving to a new location always left on the Best terms. My fondest memories were of the Cart Skills Test the management provided each month, testing our skills on finding hidden products and being able to spot switched tags. Those tests may of been timed, but they were fun. I enjoyed always striving toward a perfect test score. Assisting customer's was always a happy experience, being ever so grateful for help provided them. There was always good comradery between co-workers and management. Management always available when needed, and friendly too! Lowe's is an excellent company to work for, and I look forward to working for them again.
Pros
Large lunch rooms, clean and tidy store, excellent customer service, upbeat atmosphere
Productive and busy place to work
Customer Service and Outside Seasonal (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONSeptember 22, 2015
A typical evening at work for me would be, cashing customers out, helping the customers load up their lumber and drywall, cleaning my area, answering the pro desks phones, answering questions, giving prices, cleaning up some of the lumber area and finding someone to help the customers with the things I do not know.
What I have learned is how to be more open and talkative with people, I have learned how to take information to help someone apply for a business credit card and a consumer credit card.
The management team is hard working and are always on their toes with customers and employees. Not a moments rest usually.
I enjoy working with my colleagues, they have been nice and supportive, they make life at work seem a bit easier than it usually can be.
The hardest part of the job is trying to help out with certain customers who create a language barrier, trying to explain things to them sometimes seems like it's not worth it but when it gets to that point I usually try to find someone who can translate for me.
The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that after I have helped someone that they are happier then they have been. I love being able to help out when I can and if it isn't my job to give the customer the help they need I get someone who can grant them what they want. The thing I love most of all is working on a team that feels like a family to me.
Pros
The BBQ's that get set up
Cons
Not enough people to help out
Hard Work - Invisible Management
CSA (Former Employee) –  HAMILTONSeptember 15, 2015
The work was challenging. Gruelling long days and nights that required not only sales on the floor but maintenance such as washing floors, moving shelves and displays, restocking products, inventory and assisting in other departments because the store was under-staffed.
We often had only two or three people to cover from open to close. The management could not assist or would not.
Many full time and experienced employees were terminated and replaced by "peak" employees who work no more than 18 hours per week.
Pros
One hour lunch - nice to recharge
Cons
Poor scheduling, no longevity in job
Team members are great to work with and cooperative.
Distribution Planning Manager (Former Employee) –  Milton, OntarioSeptember 10, 2015
Lowe's US division operates at a more structuresd and organized environment. The Canadian division does not like to follow the same rules and pushes back to Canadianize the operation. Unfortunate for the individuals that represent the DC and communicate and work with the US head quarters.
Pros
Free Lunches and shirts
Cons
poor direction by senior management
Nice PT job
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 8, 2015
Employees are friendly, hard-wroking.
Experiences with management have been 50/50; there's been times where requests with management is good, but just as many times frustrating and annoying.
Typical 8 hour days with a 1 hour lunch, with very little overtime possible.
Keeps you on your feet most of the day.
Flexibility of hours is alright.
More-than-alright pay for a part-time job.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Demanding job (physically and socially)
WORKED MOSTLY NIGHTS.DIDN'T LIKE THAT
Was a cashier (Former Employee) –  NORTHSIDESeptember 1, 2015
STANDING IN FRONT OF THE TILL WAITING FOR CUSTOMERS TO COME TO MY TILL.IT WAS KIND OF A LONG BORING JOB UNLESS ONE HAD A LINEUP OF CUSTOMERS THAT KEPT ME BUSY.
Lowes
Front End Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Niagara FallsAugust 29, 2015
It's a job. Not the worst but not the greatest. I was only hired as seasonal but got asked to stay as peak. Co workers are all friendly. Communication could be better though.
nice place
Night stocker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 28, 2015
put my PPE check my time card, receive instruction for the manager about the work check al the products to put on the shelf, check the machines to use, forklift, reach truck etc, and proceed to stock the products
Active and fun work place
Customer Service Specialist-Paint (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 25, 2015
Very diverse culture, people from every walks of life. Very friendly customers. Lots of managers to run the store and they are good listeners. Hard work but its rewarding and healthy.
Great working environment with amazing co-workers
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 24, 2015
Lowe's is a great place to work, friendly and welcoming staff with supportive management. Working for Lowe's it is about the customer experience. I have learned to love what I do know mater the job path, while at Lowe's they have provided me with a lot of training and experience to excel in any career choice. A typical day for myself at Lowe's might be a little different then most, as I started as a cashier and worked my way up from there. I shortly moved from cashier to administrative office, special orders and Lowe's.ca. From there I was able to move to Full-time Paint and Home Decor Sales Associate. Now a Full-Time Outdoor Seasonal Associate. Although that is the label given to me I am always egar to help out any department, jumping on cash to going to grab an order from the back of receiving. At Lowe's I have been able to grow and am always challenged with new tasks everyday.
good enviroment to work in
Flooring sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 19, 2015
It was a good place to work, but they didn't provide me with enough hours. They also only offered seasonal employment which means I only work during the summer.
Pros
Friendly enviroment
Cons
short hours, random shift scheduling.
7/10
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Milton, ONAugust 16, 2015
Liked the actual work because it pushed me physically. i had to think in order to fit items into a limited amount of space. Nice pay but tough hours.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Bad hours
Great working environment with even better people.
Sales Asscoiate (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ONAugust 7, 2015
Upon arrival the people that I interacted with were great to talk to. The employees are incredibly welcoming, and are willing to teach you and help you. The only downfall that I have to give is that you are basically thrown onto the floor with little teaching about the products you are dealing with. You have to be good with learning on your feet, and be able to tell people that you don't know.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Fast pace enviroment
Sales Specialist (Kitchens) (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BCAugust 5, 2015
Overall great place to work with fun staff and great job culture. Lots of room for advancement within the company. I enjoyed my position what what I had to do on a daily basis and had fun while doing my job.
Good pay but not job secure
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  OntarioAugust 5, 2015
Our local Lowes will keep you right until the last day or two of your probation then let you go. They will not assist you with your issues if they dont have the time. You will be assured of customer service and ample bodies on shift but will find that this is not the reality of it. Make sure you get along with everyone, if not and they complain, you will be black listed and no assistance will come. Your schedule will change at a drop of the hat and unless you check your work email regularly, you will have no other notice. You will also only get afternoons and nights if they either do not like you personally or you are only a peak position, although they will not tell you this either. If you are in a management role, you will not get all of your breaks either and this is of no issue to those higher up as long as those you are responsible for are getting theres. Also if you suck up to the right managers, you will be able to dictate where and what you do while at work, even if this means that someone else needs to pick up your slack on things.
Pros
favoratism to those who are shined on
Cons
Unannounced schedule changes
poor management at the ASM level
Lumber associate, part time (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, west endAugust 2, 2015
Overall I loved working for Lowes, West End. Store manager is great. Staff were also great to work with. However, the ASM's, for the most part have minimal people and leadership skills. In particular would be the loss prevention/safety manager. This individual consistently harasses and intimidates the female staff and members of the staff whose only income is Lowes. He has gone so far as to send a female employee up a ladder to clean fixtures while she was in a leg cast. He has a hate on for the military and has said, in front of anyone willing to listen, that he will get this person or that person. He has made one young lady cry and quit her job. These things are known by management but nothing is ever done to him. Since he has come to the west end location(from the south store) Lowes has lost some very good staff and the morale, that was once very high, is now gone. Lowes, at least in the West end, does not seem to care about their staff enough to fix the problems and would rather continually hire and retrain staff. Frustrating for those of us that care about Lowes and our jobs
Pros
staff, store manager
Cons
safety/loss prevention, ASM's
not great if your not best friends with the managment
general labourer (Former Employee) –  RDC Milton, OntJuly 27, 2015
the jobs are easy, but if you chose to stay quite and to yourself your told that you are being negative. If your not best friends with the supervisors then you are treated like dirt. and by best friends I mean going out after work for beers and dinner and stuff, also you will never move up in the company.
Pros
bounses
Cons
never treated like a part of the team.