Lowe's Employee Reviews in Canada

horrible workplace. very unorganized
Loader/Shipper (Former Employee) –  Milton, ONDecember 13, 2015
just a all around bad place to work. i worked my hardest there, trained half the loading team, then i was let go for no reason besides it being slow. I was one of the best loaders they had . Dont apply here if you are looking for a permanent job. they will cut you loose faster then you can blink.
Pros
four day work week, 3 day weekend
Great Enviroment Not so great with salary
Senior Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONDecember 11, 2015
A typical day at Lowes starts and ends with the customer. Serving them in any way possible. Keeping the lines flowing and keeping the store and products presentable.
From Lowes I learned how to use Kronos and Genises P.O.S Programs.
The management team always had your back and was very helpful, but there was not always great communication going from the management to the employees, but things always worked out on the end.
The co-workers pleasant and easy to work with. There was great communication from one co-worker to another.
The hardest part of my job I would say were the hours.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people everyday, and having interesting conversations with them, and being able to build a friendly relationship with them. I would always be looking forward to meeting the regulars each day.
Also, I would learn new things from my customers almost every week.
Pros
Fridays $2.00 breakfests, Free BBQ's each month. Customers. Family enviroment
Cons
Night Shifts
working at Lowe's is very amazing
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 5, 2015
Lowe's is a fun place to work. they are like a big family they. and the management is very supportive. if there is any that ask me if lowes a good place to work i will say yes , because they look out for you and help you with everything that you need, to work safe and get the job done. they all just come together to make the work place a better place every day
Outstanding team members
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 26, 2015
Loved working there. Clean store. Good processes in place. Some senior managers better than others. Better wages than other box stores.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Stocker/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 24, 2015
Lowes was a great place to work. While things were not perfect and sometimes there was not enough staff, there was always a stress on work safety and what was best for the customer. Even though I worked at night I felt like I was working for the sake of the customer. I liked the variety of the job. I would punch in for my shift and then head to the receiving area to see what the unloaded merchandise looked like. Then I would hop on a forklift and help the supervisor take the product to the floor for the guys. This would last about two hours and then after the first break I would usually start my own areas which were flooring, millwork and lumber. I enjoyed the hard work and the strategizing that had to take place in order to get all the product stocked. After the lunch break we would usually have inventory duties to take care of and then taking the cardboard back and winding down for the end of the shift.
Pros
consistency and stability
Cons
at times we were limited in staff
Lowe's Sault Ste Marie - Bringing in Sales
Assistant Store Manager Administrative (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ONNovember 23, 2015
The only way to completely entice and tempt a customer to buy is to make them feel entirely at ease and relaxed during their shopping experience. I ensure that this is accomplished by creating an atheistically balanced and pleasing environment where the customer can complete their shopping for either mission items or impulse items without distraction or difficulties.
I make a point to adapt and overcome to all changes and situations arising on an extended or daily basis. This includes adapting to any changes in external atmosphere requiring specialized impromptu merchandising for all the customer's needs from day to day and from moment to moment.

I contribute to our Store's sales plan by ensuring that every aspect of our business is aesthetically pleasing, replenished with inventory, and ready to be shopped by the customer. I encourage an increased focus on gaining customer confidence and improving our overall sales significantly via Department Manager encouragement, leadership training, and implied ownership of areas. I encourage the development and awareness of stock levels and integrity as well as appropriate replenishment that will improve individual department sales throughout the store. An emphasis being placed on upcoming promotional events as well as the merchandising integrity, location, and strategies of our current flyer items from week to week.
The company was not forthright
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONNovember 21, 2015
I felt that they did not do much hands on with you in the training. If you did something wrong they did not point it out so you could not learn when you did something incorrectly. They used you but did not really help you. If you asked they would tell you but they did not come out and tell you that you were doing something wrong not good. They had a high turn over on the employees due to their attitude.
Pros
discount on products
Cons
not too friendly
Fun work place and got a chance to meet different people
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONNovember 19, 2015
It wasn't a very important job but it taught me things such as how to always be productive and work as a team with my coworkers, help get the customers what they wanted in a timely fashion and always give 100% in everything I did while I was working. It was an extremely great company to work for and they have great job security and a great team. They had meetings once a week that would help the employees greet and treat not only themselves and coworkers but also customers with respect and satisfaction that didn't make it feel like work and always made the customers want to continue to do business there. It was a great place to work I just wanted something more for myself.
Pros
Cons
Wearing construction boats to work
Typical Customer Service and Cool Coworkers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  OntarioNovember 17, 2015
Really enjoyed working with the people that I do. The company does prefer to hire within, but you have to put your time in with the company. Hours are all over the place and individuals that miss work or constantly slack on the job are held on to until the end of their contract, so really those are the only complaints that I have. Oh and they don't really reward those who put their time and efforts into the company.
Pros
Coworkers are great
Nice place, but upper management needs help
Commercial Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 15, 2015
I liked working there for a large portion of the job, it was stressful but rewarding kind of. I however had a problem of the macro-managing from your plethora of managers to report to. You would get different orders from different managers, very often conflicting with each other. They demanded too many things (such as look after another department even though youre drowning in work from your own department). When the store first started (I helped build the store), its manager was meh, but the next manager was amazing. He would go around to the departments and ask if they needed help, and he had a hand in everything but didnt feel like he was breathing down your neck. He was an awesome manager, keyword was. I assume he had a lot of pressure from the higher ups because he changed drastically to a delegate type of manager without really listening to the employees on their feedback.

Being there from the beginning and seeing people come and go was hard but you got to work with a lot of nice people (also a lot of bad ones too). It was very fast paced but overall not a terrible place to work.
Enjoyable workplace
front end loader (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABNovember 12, 2015
Fun enviroment to be in always someone telling a joke , coworkers were awesome made a few friends from lowes, the hardst part of the job was loading up dishwashers, most enjoyable part of the job was talking to co-workers
Pros
wearing a hat
Cons
alwyas standing around for 8 hours
Very fun place to work with friendly assiocates.
Customer service associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONNovember 11, 2015
A place where everyone works hard to achieve there goals for the day but also help each other. Gained a lot of experience working at Lowes much more than I have excepted. Management and the employees got along very well even if sometimes we did not see eye to eye but very respectful. Enjoy the job every minute of it.
Pros
I have learned alot. Gained alot of experience.
Cons
All about the numbers.
A fun place to work
Receiver (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONNovember 2, 2015
Its a nice and fun place to work because majority of the co-workers were very kind and never gave me a bad attitude. They also made it very comfortable and never made me feel like I had to be someone else.

The management was the only thing I had a problem with because I felt they treat the employees in receiving different the the employees on the floor
Great Place to work
Sales Specialist - Inside Lawn and Garden (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 30, 2015
Apart from the 'lack of communication' from the management about decisions, the place is a fun place to work. The amount of self learning is incredible! People are fun to work with for most part and just like any organization, there is always politics involved but you can escape it if you focus on your own responsibilities.
I still feel the store can be better managed and the current management isnt the best I have seen in my years of working.
Pros
lots of learning opportunities about home improvement.
Cons
poorly managed scheduling
Backstabbing environment with little to no personal respect
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Stittsville, ONOctober 27, 2015
The harder a person works, the less respect they get. Only thing that matters to the management is the bottom dollar, they don't care about the staff. People always assume the worst about their co-workers. Only reason I stayed is because I need the paycheck.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Nothing but disrespect
assist customers with hardware needs
Hardware Associate (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONOctober 17, 2015
I assisted customers with their requests; stock recovery during the slow periods. I learned all about the features and benefits of the various tools, nails, screws ,etc. from my customers and co-workers. Management was always available and helpful. The hardest part of the job was not being able to provide the needs of the customer; the most enjoyable part of the job was satisfying the customers needs.
Pros
good work environment, co-workers, management
Cons
long hours without a break usually due to staff shortages
over worked under paid
Night Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  3010 Provincial RDOctober 15, 2015
minimum wage with no shift premium for midnights.
1/2 unpaid lunch and not allowed to leave the store.
Perfect for students.
Strong Relationships
Department Manager, Full-time (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONOctober 8, 2015
Working at Lowe's has been a pleasure. The people you work with are always one of a kind. I have met some amazing people during my time with Lowe's, some of which have become great friends even outside of work.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Under Staffed
Very Supportive of employees, great place to work
Overnight Lead Receiver and Stock Personnel (Former Employee) –  London, ONOctober 6, 2015
Lowe's was very supportive of their employees and was always giving encouragement to strive for the best in everything. Co-workers were great to work with and the job was very enjoyable.
Productive, Organized, Fun
Loss Prevention and Safety Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 5, 2015
I start off with reviewing the pervious days refunds and bill out of merchandise. I would then plan my week, I have counts that need to be done, ensure that the departments complete their counts in a timely manner. Ensure that departments are completing operational walks and that they are accurate. Follow up on shrink issues with operational, internal and external factors. I complete audits within the store. I do safety training with the store including New Hire Orientations. Help run the safety committee.
Time management is something that I have learned in order to do everything that is expected and more I need to ensure that my time is well managed and that I hit every dead line given to me.
My co-workers work in other locations, we do speak I get called with questions from others about how to do tasks etc.
The hardest part of my job is the hours. I am currently enrolled in the Part Time Paralegal program and it is hard working 17 hour days including school.
Most enjoyable part that every day there is something new and a new challenge.