Lowe's Employee Reviews

So much nepotism
PSA (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON8 August 2016
Been there since the beginning from 2008 in windsor, no other jobs were around due to recession, and lucky for lowes there was recession because they would have lost most of the good workers alot sooner, now jobs are coming back to the the area, theyre starting to see a high turnover, anyway, upper management is useless, dm's are actually better and know more, management will stab you in the back in a heartbeat, nepotism is the biggest issue, unless you came over to lowes from the start from walmart or the grocery business you will be an outcast no matter how hard you work, they will tell you what you want to hear but never follow through, policies change on the fly without being informed, they lie about pay scale, so much more to list i can write a thesis on it. All in all dont work here its a dishonest and brutal company, they only care about profits/sales= thier bonuses, this job is really for students for the time they are in school, and for retirees or people who are about to retire, other than that if you are in your prime years dont waste your time with this bigot company
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Productive and fun place to work
night time merchandizer (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 September 2016
Always lots to do new items coming into store all the time. Co-workers are great to work with everyone pitches in and helps others. Great team man ship a feeling of family !!!!! The hardest part of the job is the hours its 10pm till 7am the most enjoyable part of the job is I can get what I need for my home at a reasonable cost plus an employee discount oh and there are great health benifits too !!!!
Fun people to work with
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 August 2016
Busy store especially summer.
Management is ok
Co-workers are great
Hardest part of the job is to deal with unfriendly customers
Most enjoyable part of the job is helping other people with their problems and needs
Cons
No recognition of hardwork, little chance of promotion and pay raise is very little, no benefits for peak associate
Incompetence Left, Right and Center
Customer Service Associate- Paint (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON4 July 2016
Are you under 30 and a male? If the answer is yes prepare to be abused.

As a male under 30, you will be expected to complete the work of 3-6 people, while other employees stand around giving you brainless smiles and otherwise being useless.

Get hurt doing such work, oh well, sorry for you. You're a part timer cause' we're to cheap to pay benefits, and we'll deny any claims made through workers' comp.

Aside from being a mule this is a company where the management knows less than the front line employees, yet this is the case at Lowe's.

You will be called into the office and disciplined for not asking enough questions, you begin asking more questions and your manager cannot answer as they themselves do not know.

ASM's are also a joke, many of them struggle to find the intelligence to walk and talk and the same time, let alone effectively manage

Finally Equipment is pathetic. Be prepared to have your equipment fail on a daily basis. Also be prepared either not to have your equipment fixed at all, or to have a half-hearted repair job done to it.

Do Yourself a Favour and Work Elsewhere
Pros
Some of the Co-workers
Cons
Cheap Cheap Cheap, Sexist Expectations, Zero Regard for Employees, Zero Advancement, Poor Wages, Won't give Full-Time (Too Cheap to pay Benefits)
Fiendly, family atmosphere
Cash Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON7 June 2016
Lowe's provides a good work environment.
The staff and management treat you like a family.
My day starts very early , balancing daily receipts is a typical day for me .
The hardest part of my job is researching discrepancies in balancing the daily business.
I enjoy my job the most when everything balances.
Pros
Benefits and open door policy with human resources
Productive place to work at
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON12 July 2016
Really good culture
Management is very cooperative
Co-workers were very fun to work with
Good experience dealing with customers
Pros
a lot of benefits
Customer Service Focus
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON19 December 2016
Day can include 10,000 to 15000 steps. Hectic pace at times and the culture tries to do 'right' by the customer. Variety of workers from retired executives doing 'different' level roles to students, recent graduates and seasoned workers from other environments.

Team work is fostered between all levels of work force. Senior managers turn up sleeves and help with all tasks that need to get done.

Wages for new hires in non full time roles are low but seem to have the ability to progress. Time frame for pay progression is confusing for some areas.
Pros
Solid Orgnaization
Cons
very corporate at times
20 years of demonstrated experience in handling all administrative functions, Sales specialist and Department Manager
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON2 October 2016
My Past experience has given me great confidence to coordinate with team , coach them, motivate team. Share achievement, appreciate work well done and goals.

I like to work with them and let them feel they are most important members of the team always.

Pros
Commitment with works
Cons
If we need to work long hours, I want to make sure team are motivated and relax to giving good reslults
Expeditor
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON28 December 2016
Work wherever needed. I have a vast knowledge of diy and home improvements.
Meeting new customers. Helping people gives great satisfaction
Management is steen and involved

hardest part was devoting 90% weekends not forced i agreed
most enjoyable was working with the team
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
Good company to work with friendly atmosphere
Receiving Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON14 January 2017
Everyday going to work, I see people who make an effort to make everyone feel included of where they work. Everyone says hello when you see them, and are more than willing to help whenever needed. The needs of Lowe's employers are always in the forefront of any decision made. When management see potential for improvement they seek a way to help you get there. Many people have been promoted into positions where their full potential is put to use.
Co workers are nice, management is deceptive
Stocker/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON6 January 2016
Lowe's as a company will save money to help stock holders at any cost. They will change the title of a position (even though the job tasks and expectations are exactly the same) so they can drop the wage. They will cut hours even thought sales increase. The management will not help on the floor even though there may only be four or five associates. The few good things about Lowe's is their benefit package, scheduled breaks, and lunches, holidays, paid sick days for part time and full time employees.

Peak employees who may work 40 hours a week continuously will not receive benefits, holidays, or paid sick days.

For the minimum wage you will start at you may as well work at any other retail job be it a grocery store, fast food place, clothing store etc. It won't be as physically demanding and hard on your body.
Pros
Benefits, paid sick days, holidays
Cons
Underhanded and sneeky moves by management
good people to work with
Stocker/Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON13 April 2016
I enjoyed most of my days at Lowe's. The people were very easy to get along with. But with all the change in such a short period in time the people were frustrated with upper management. I got let go when I was on stress leave which was not proper.
Pros
had fulltime with benefits
Cons
let me go without cause.
Fast Paced Retail Environment
Sales Specialist/Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 January 2017
Being department manager of Plumbing had very unique challenges. It was often the busiest department as we provided solutions to repair faulty plumbing, where other departments would be selling new tools, flooring, and building materials.

Management was suffocating. Micromanaging and unrealistic task assignments to an overworked and understaffed team made days long and hectic. Sales were always the priority, but often other tasks would be assigned when only 1 or 2 associates were working.
Busy with friendly environment
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON19 October 2016
Very busy throughout the summer, Compact Sod has great management and has a very friendly work environment. A typical day includes sales through the phone, and staying on my toes knowing various promotions and answering assortments of questions from customers.
A dedicated, helpful Customer Service Representative with experience in the retail sectors.
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 October 2016
During my typical workday, I am responsible for overseeing my teams.I check in and help them with any issues they may be having such as helping them to learn about a product, so they can help others. I keep in touch with clients, update them on our progress and make sure they are satisfied with the promotional materials. I learned a lot about our products at Lowe's and how to communicate with other customers and co-workers.
Decent place to work
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON14 December 2016
Lowe's was a good place to work at and was one of the main reasons i left my past company to take on a bigger and more important role in management. Overall the work environment was fun and i loved my position. Senior managers need a lot of work in how they talk and approach there customers and employees. Overall the biggest reason i stayed here for as long as i did was because of my store manager and how good he was to me
Pros
employees
Cons
Assistant Store Managers
terrible place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 January 2017
If your planning to work at the lowes at signahill youll regret it. Bad management and hr won't respect you, ps, if you cut yourself your fired..
Pros
Cons
so baf is not even worth time reading
No Room for Growth
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC18 January 2017
I felt this company was unfair when it came to worker/ customer issues. They would never listen to the side of the staff member. Where very quick to punish instead of hearing everything.
Never felt that there was room to advance for some people within the company.
However was a fun environment to work in. The staff was wonderful.
Pros
Friendly staff and management
Cons
Lack of ownership to problems
Good work place and wonderful co-workers
Night Associate (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON11 April 2016
Great job with wonderful co-workers and lots of hours. Accommodating with schedule when needed.
However, don't offer full time positions with benefits often.
Fast paced, interesting, and devolopmental workplace
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 February 2016
I enjoy working with people. A typical day at work is customer service, sales and doing follow ups. My Co workers and management team are supportive and informative. the hardest part of the job is that there is not enough time in the day. The day goes by way too fast.
benefits
Cons
not enough time in the day