Lowe's
5,771 reviews

Lowe's Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
typical day
Plumbing associate, Night shift stocker (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 2, 2014
Since as i currently work nightshifts i would have to say thats one of the hardest parts. I am order picker as well as reach truck trained i do mostly the big boxing top stocking, throwing up pallets also bringing them down.
An upbeat job where I am always learning.
Cash Office Associate/ Head Cashier (Current Employee), Niagara Falls, ONJuly 2, 2014
I enjoy my job currently mostly because its so hectic. I like to be busy all the time. I work closely along side management who is always asking me to do extra tasks, which I enjoy. I support the front end by being there for them if they have questions regarding how to deal with a customer. I also work in the cash office where I am responsible for getting – more... the day started with new registers and then following with the daily business folder for the day. I love the people I work with and that's mostly why I've been there for so long, we're all a great team and more like friends than coworkers. – less
Productive workplace
Team Member/Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee), Brampton, ONJune 29, 2014
Pros: occassional staff lunches
Cons: random schedules
During my tenure with Lowe's I learned time management as variables will always come up more often than not those variables being customers.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with good people, the worst part of job was working with some not so great people such is the nature of retail.

Management was organized and equipped with how to – more... deal with situations that arose.

A typical days work was spent talking to customers about their needs as well as restocking and cleaning the department I was situated within. – less
fun, as if working with family.
Front- end (Cashier) (Current Employee), ABJune 26, 2014
I love to work at Lowe's. My Supervisor is very supportive, and am learning a lot from her.
Challenging and educational
Department Manager (Electrical) (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 16, 2014
Everyday is a learning experience either from the customers and fellow work mates.the most enjoyable part of work is meeting people and help in them getting what they want.
Good self learning opportunities but poor career development from management
Financial Data Management (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 16, 2014
Good self learning opportunities but poor career development from management.
Scheduling and management need work
Cashier/Customer Service/loader (Former Employee), New Westminster, BCJune 4, 2014
Pros: won't fire you over school or being sick. pay above minimum wage
Cons: no set schedule, management needs serious work to help their employee's. not just the bottom line
A typical day of a cashier at lowe's involves a lot of standing and waiting for customers then when they do appear you do usually simple cashier transactions to give them their product and send them on their way. The management doesn't like to see cashiers move to any other part of the store, other parts however don't have such restriction. You will – more... learn how to deal with poor management for a large store though. The managers for different departments don't seem to talk to each other so complications arise a fair bit and they all seem to be more interested in the bottom line of the store and making sure the customer isn't mad at them, than the needs of their employees and as such the turnover rate is quite high. Most scheduling is random with no set days for anyone so planning your free time can be a bit of a hassle unless you book off a day a month or so in advance. When it is busy you'll have stuff to do all day and will be left alone to do your work so long as you aren't screwing up at it. It can be easy to move up in the company if you really sell yourself to it and keep making sure management is aware that you want to move up. If not you'll most likely stay at the position you're at. The most enjoyable part is some of the non-manager co-workers. They're all going through the same struggle so bonding isn't that hard. But the hardest part is dealing with the management not doing their job so you're understaffed or don't have the supplies you need or simply getting in trouble for something that's no your fault. – less
A Shame You Can't Give Management Zero Stars
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Brantford, OntarioMay 24, 2014
Pros: they paid me on time
Cons: literally everything else
The most brutal retail job I've ever worked.

They're big on their corporate culture here and make the employees participate in a group cheer every single morning, which is intended to psych you up for your day serving customers but is really demeaning as everyone knows that Lowe's doesn't give a diddly about them. Just because one successful retail – more... big-box has a group cheer doesn't mean that EVERY big-box store needs to cheer to be successful.

I asked five times for a name tag that had my name spelled correctly on it and never received it despite being told I would. I had to edit my own name tag so that it properly showed my real name. That's just my little tidbit for you to remember when you go in for training and they make you watch the factually-incorrect and historically inaccurate anti-union propaganda video. Lowe's is SO pro-employee that they don't need unions, don't you see?!??

When there was a flood at the store that ruined the tiny kitchenette area that regular staffers used every day to reheat and prepare their lunches they'd brought from home, it took them over a month to get it fixed. During that time there was one single microwave in the room to serve over 180 employees. There was no sink to wash your hands, dishes, or anything. Gee... I wonder where they might be able to find a new sink and cheap-o countertop?? When it finally was repaired, we were told that all of the supplies and labour to have it installed were gifts from vendors and volunteers. That is because the management of Lowe's is so caught up in keeping their store budget low so that they can come out on top with a big bonus every year. Laughably, none of the management in the store eat lunch with the regular staffers or use the kitchenette, so their lunches were never affected (thank heavens!). Despite all of the mess with the kitchen, which is arguably a bonus in a workplace (but not a workplace that you'd think was really "pro-employee"), staff regularly do not have the supplies or resources to do their jobs well or serve customers quickly and accurately because, again-- supplying these items and resources would drive up the store budget, cutting in to management's bonuses.

The assistant store managers are second-worst to only the store manager, herself. They are cowards who regularly are made to deliver bad news with a big, fake smile on their faces. One of the assistant managers at the store in question doesn't bother learning anyone's name or even reading peoples' nametags: he just calls everyone "bud" or "buddy," which is probably not good practice but whatever, right?

There's a bit of racism and other bigotry that gets paraded around as funny jokes in the staff lunch room in particular by two or three staff that no one ever thinks to tell to shut up.

Cool final thoughts: if you're still within your probationary period they don't even have to tell you why you're being let go. They (management) will call it "a business decision" and will tiptoe around like the terrible cowards they are. Hopefully that means management will get their bonuses that were made on the backs of the average working stiffs who're just waiting to reheat their leftovers. – less
Amazing (overall)
Customer service Associate (Current Employee), BramptonMay 22, 2014
MY experience working at this company is amazing. I get good hours, my co-workers are all great people, there is always something to do and the customers are great.
Could have been a great job with better training and teamwork.
Head Cashier (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMay 11, 2014
Pros: good pay, good amount of breaks
Cons: not enough staff booked for a shift, very stressful altogether
As the summary says, Lowe's had the potential to be a great job. I worked with some great people, and had a good pay as head cashier. Unfortunately, the longer I stayed there, the more I began to dread going to work. I barely got trained, a lot of what I knew was self-taught, and many other people felt the same way. I was expected to be a mind-reading – more... customer service extraordinaire, and was made to feel like garbage if I wasn't. Because I was the youngest head cashier, I was often made to feel stupid, or talked down to. It felt like the managers really had no clue what went on in the life of a cashier, or even a loader.
Also, the customers weren't the greatest either, and were very rude and pushy. Even on my last day there, I was dragged out of the breakroom 5 minutes early to speak to a customer I had already spoken to.
Part of me was sad to leave some of my coworkers (and especially the $15/hr pay!) behind, but after losing my sanity and not being able to see my family because I was always at work dealing with rude customers and only half knowing what I was doing, I had to leave.
Might be good for someone with tougher skin, but not me. – less
Excellent place to work, good work culture
Special Order Sales/Credit Coordinator (Current Employee), Whitby, ONMay 8, 2014
Pros: different committees, onsite training
Working for a company who is customer service driven allows me to gain excellent experience dealing with internal and external individuals on a daily basis. It always makes the day exciting as you never know what to expect.
Nice place to work
Install Sales Coordinator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 6, 2014
Overall it was a good place to work. Management was good.

Co-worker's were friendly. No hard parts of the job.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with
customers.
Great Place to Work!
Safety Manager / LPM (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 26, 2014
Excellent staff and Management with a growing commitment for Safety in the workplace.
Friendly, young staff in growing organization
Merchandising Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, OntarioMarch 18, 2014
Pros: opportunity for advancement for hard working individuals
Cons: high turnover
Lowe's is a growing company with a new country manager that has high expectations and aggressive goals. Jobs are constantly evolving to meet the business needs. Lots of opportunity for advancement for hard working, dedicated person. Hours can be long for some positions.
Don't fall for all B.S...They will use you and spit you out
Manager (Former Employee), OttawaMarch 18, 2014
Preview

Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa – March 18, 2014
I worked there for 3 years right from store opening....I never seen so much so called motivational B.S
Lowes -" we care " for the employee and their so called lowes way and culture is just window dressing...nothing more.....They preach open door policy but once they tag you for talking up they – more... label you as negative and will performance manage out of the company......And if they can't make you look bad on paper because you were doing your job they have you sign away any rights you had when you are hired and get rid of you for as they say with no cause????
How convenient isn't it....

Unless you're totally desperate for a job.....don't be fooled how good they look on the outside....because believe me....you don't want to be under their control on the inside....

Unrealistic expectations and so two-faced.....

Do yourself a favor.....You deserve better....go somewhere else. – less
Great Place to work
Lowes Home Improvement Sales Associate (Former Employee), Maple, ONMarch 18, 2014
Come into work, stock up anything that needs to be filled, help customers throughout the day. Overall, it's a very steady job, although it gets quite hectic during the summer time. All co workers and managers were nice, had no problems.
just plain fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Barrie, ONMarch 13, 2014
great company to work for. would recommend it to others, cant say enough good things about it
productive fun place to work
RETAIL SALES MANAGER (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 10, 2014
company going through restructuring so no job security other wise good place to work
An amazingly supportive culture!
CSA (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 9, 2014
Pros: give always, discounts
I have been overwhelmed at the supportive culture that exists in this retail environment. The management at this location are second to none!

The roles that you can do are very diverse also.
Different Role then I have done ever
Pricing and Signage Coordinator (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 22, 2014
Pros: 10% off purchases
Cons: very early mornings
-With Lowe's I have been with them for three years as there pricing and signage coordinator.

-It has been a physical job at times
-Been able to use my time managmet skills
-Cutomer service skills
-Traning of others

1 2 3 4 5

About Lowe's

No longer a low-profile company, Lowe's Companies has evolved from a regional hardware store operator into a nationwide chain – Read more