Lowe's Employee Reviews

So much nepotism
PSA (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON8 August 2016
Been there since the beginning from 2008 in windsor, no other jobs were around due to recession, and lucky for lowes there was recession because they would have lost most of the good workers alot sooner, now jobs are coming back to the the area, theyre starting to see a high turnover, anyway, upper management is useless, dm's are actually better and know more, management will stab you in the back in a heartbeat, nepotism is the biggest issue, unless you came over to lowes from the start from walmart or the grocery business you will be an outcast no matter how hard you work, they will tell you what you want to hear but never follow through, policies change on the fly without being informed, they lie about pay scale, so much more to list i can write a thesis on it. All in all dont work here its a dishonest and brutal company, they only care about profits/sales= thier bonuses, this job is really for students for the time they are in school, and for retirees or people who are about to retire, other than that if you are in your prime years dont waste your time with this bigot company
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Fun people to work with
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 August 2016
Busy store especially summer.
Management is ok
Co-workers are great
Hardest part of the job is to deal with unfriendly customers
Most enjoyable part of the job is helping other people with their problems and needs
Cons
No recognition of hardwork, little chance of promotion and pay raise is very little, no benefits for peak associate
Productive and fun place to work
night time merchandizer (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 September 2016
Always lots to do new items coming into store all the time. Co-workers are great to work with everyone pitches in and helps others. Great team man ship a feeling of family !!!!! The hardest part of the job is the hours its 10pm till 7am the most enjoyable part of the job is I can get what I need for my home at a reasonable cost plus an employee discount oh and there are great health benifits too !!!!
Incompetence Left, Right and Center
Customer Service Associate- Paint (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON4 July 2016
Are you under 30 and a male? If the answer is yes prepare to be abused.

As a male under 30, you will be expected to complete the work of 3-6 people, while other employees stand around giving you brainless smiles and otherwise being useless.

Get hurt doing such work, oh well, sorry for you. You're a part timer cause' we're to cheap to pay benefits, and we'll deny any claims made through workers' comp.

Aside from being a mule this is a company where the management knows less than the front line employees, yet this is the case at Lowe's.

You will be called into the office and disciplined for not asking enough questions, you begin asking more questions and your manager cannot answer as they themselves do not know.

ASM's are also a joke, many of them struggle to find the intelligence to walk and talk and the same time, let alone effectively manage

Finally Equipment is pathetic. Be prepared to have your equipment fail on a daily basis. Also be prepared either not to have your equipment fixed at all, or to have a half-hearted repair job done to it.

Do Yourself a Favour and Work Elsewhere
Pros
Some of the Co-workers
Cons
Cheap Cheap Cheap, Sexist Expectations, Zero Regard for Employees, Zero Advancement, Poor Wages, Won't give Full-Time (Too Cheap to pay Benefits)
Fiendly, family atmosphere
Cash Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON7 June 2016
Lowe's provides a good work environment.
The staff and management treat you like a family.
My day starts very early , balancing daily receipts is a typical day for me .
The hardest part of my job is researching discrepancies in balancing the daily business.
I enjoy my job the most when everything balances.
Pros
Benefits and open door policy with human resources
Productive place to work at
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON12 July 2016
Really good culture
Management is very cooperative
Co-workers were very fun to work with
Good experience dealing with customers
Pros
a lot of benefits
good people to work with
Stocker/Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON13 April 2016
I enjoyed most of my days at Lowe's. The people were very easy to get along with. But with all the change in such a short period in time the people were frustrated with upper management. I got let go when I was on stress leave which was not proper.
Pros
had fulltime with benefits
Cons
let me go without cause.
Co workers are nice, management is deceptive
Stocker/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON6 January 2016
Lowe's as a company will save money to help stock holders at any cost. They will change the title of a position (even though the job tasks and expectations are exactly the same) so they can drop the wage. They will cut hours even thought sales increase. The management will not help on the floor even though there may only be four or five associates. The few good things about Lowe's is their benefit package, scheduled breaks, and lunches, holidays, paid sick days for part time and full time employees.

Peak employees who may work 40 hours a week continuously will not receive benefits, holidays, or paid sick days.

For the minimum wage you will start at you may as well work at any other retail job be it a grocery store, fast food place, clothing store etc. It won't be as physically demanding and hard on your body.
Pros
Benefits, paid sick days, holidays
Cons
Underhanded and sneeky moves by management
20 years of demonstrated experience in handling all administrative functions, Sales specialist and Department Manager
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON2 October 2016
My Past experience has given me great confidence to coordinate with team , coach them, motivate team. Share achievement, appreciate work well done and goals.

I like to work with them and let them feel they are most important members of the team always.

Pros
Commitment with works
Cons
If we need to work long hours, I want to make sure team are motivated and relax to giving good reslults
Good work place and wonderful co-workers
Night Associate (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON11 April 2016
Great job with wonderful co-workers and lots of hours. Accommodating with schedule when needed.
However, don't offer full time positions with benefits often.
Busy with friendly environment
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON19 October 2016
Very busy throughout the summer, Compact Sod has great management and has a very friendly work environment. A typical day includes sales through the phone, and staying on my toes knowing various promotions and answering assortments of questions from customers.
Fast paced, interesting, and devolopmental workplace
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 February 2016
I enjoy working with people. A typical day at work is customer service, sales and doing follow ups. My Co workers and management team are supportive and informative. the hardest part of the job is that there is not enough time in the day. The day goes by way too fast.
benefits
Cons
not enough time in the day
A dedicated, helpful Customer Service Representative with experience in the retail sectors.
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 October 2016
During my typical workday, I am responsible for overseeing my teams.I check in and help them with any issues they may be having such as helping them to learn about a product, so they can help others. I keep in touch with clients, update them on our progress and make sure they are satisfied with the promotional materials. I learned a lot about our products at Lowe's and how to communicate with other customers and co-workers.
Employees are given 10% discount on product. Benefits are good
Product Service Associate (PSA) (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON29 December 2015
My co-workers were pleasant, and enjoyable to work with. Reliable, and friendly. The hardest part of the job was not always having the proper tools available so the assigned tasks could be completed in the time frame that was given. I learned many things from stock replenishment, receiving and processing freight, using heavy equipment, inventory control, building displays.
Pros
One hour lunches, benefits, paid sick days
Cons
Downsizing
It was "okay" at best...
Customer Service Associate in Lumber (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON2 May 2016
I learned a lot of different things, that's for sure. Too many to list. Co-workers were really cool and all very different/interesting, as well as friendly. Some worse than others for sure, but what can you expect with 100 some odd employees for the building. Management was one of the worst things I think... A couple managers were really laid back, easy going, and good to get along with. Others, not so much. Blunt, short tempered, impatient, impractical, unrealistic, etc.. Customers were hit and miss but most of them friendly and appreciative that you've helped them, etc. I worked in the lumber department for almost a year and it was most of the time enjoyable, busy, and time flew by. Was fork-lifting most of the time and if not on that, I was cutting wood, drywall, selling product, helping customers plan projects, load materials, and so on. Worst part about the job..? Most of the positions there are what's called "Peak Full-Time", which is newer to Lowes apparently. This position sits you at a maximum of 39 hours a week and a minimum of... Anywhere really, 20ish maybe? Mostly only when it's slow. But with the 39 hours however, this makes it so you're not quite eligible for their benefits package, and also easily disposable. Apparently during the new-hire process we signed documents stating that with this "Peak Full-Time" gig, we could be let go at anytime without any notice. Even without any viable cause or logical reasoning; which was what happened to me and some of my friends/co-workers. Literally no reason at all but as I was working along one day, I was all of a sudden  more... let go, so... Wasn't too thrilled about that! Everything was going good and I was receiving a shipment of lumber off a transport, then poof, called into the main office, and laid off. So ultimately... Beware and be warned. Sneaky..  less
Pros
Free lunches every now and then, satisfying job, etc
Cons
Bizarre shifts, unrealistic managers, and sketchy fine-print details
assist customers with hardware needs
Hardware Associate (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON17 October 2015
I assisted customers with their requests; stock recovery during the slow periods. I learned all about the features and benefits of the various tools, nails, screws ,etc. from my customers and co-workers. Management was always available and helpful. The hardest part of the job was not being able to provide the needs of the customer; the most enjoyable part of the job was satisfying the customers needs.
Pros
good work environment, co-workers, management
Cons
long hours without a break usually due to staff shortages
Fun to work inside and cash
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON15 August 2016
Lowes has a very fun atmosphere inside the building everyone is accepting, friendly and always willing to help out. Cash is a great place to start with lowes as a new employee or if you are freshly employed. Cash however is fast paced, but it helps make a long shift seem shorter.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Long hours, not enough employees covering a department
Great people
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON16 August 2016
Stocking overnight, the management was good, though sometimes it could have been better then it was. A lot of that would have to do more so with working over night though. Co-workers were what got me through the night a lot of time, great friendly people. Hardest part of the job was the hours in combination with heavy lifting have having to stay alert and aware of your surroundings at all times.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Over night hours.
Great place to work and shop in the Home Improvement business.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON27 September 2016
Able to teach the associates merchandising.
Executing company directives with urgency.
Inspired the associates to enjoy the workplace through teamwork and with clear communication.
To offer the best customer service to all customers through all associates.
Made a positive difference in all kpi indicators which was reflected
in the sales, P and L,and most important, great service to the customer.
Pros
Empowered to apply my managerial background in new business.
Cons
Learning and knowing all the systems was a challenge.
Horrible Place to Work
Loader (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON19 October 2016
If you get offered a summer spot great you should take it but once the summer is over run and do it fast as soon as all the summer staff leave the place becomes a living nightmare for the regular staff
Pros
you get to go home at the end of the day
Cons
long hours minimal breaks