Lowe's

9.8K reviews

Lowe's Employee Reviews

Fast paced, interesting, and devolopmental workplace
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONFebruary 3, 2016
I enjoy working with people. A typical day at work is customer service, sales and doing follow ups. My Co workers and management team are supportive and informative. the hardest part of the job is that there is not enough time in the day. The day goes by way too fast.
benefits
Cons
not enough time in the day
Great Co-workers, Terrible Management.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONJanuary 31, 2016
A casual workplace that proves it is a notch above places such as Home Depot, however, its management practices are weak and outdated. The overview of your regional manager is also one of constant criticism and negativity
Pros
Great staff events
Cons
No social life
Friendly, Supportive, Great Service
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJanuary 27, 2016
Friendly Work Environment
Supportive Co-Workers
Provides Great Customer Service
Learned a lot about home improvement and retail/customer service work.
Warehouse
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 15, 2016
Was a good team environment management was slow to react to issues that were brought up but for the amount of money you make it's a good place, general day consisted of meeting at the start, dispersing product sent to select areas and put product away.
Pros
instore party every payday
Cons
Lazy Management
Great job for students
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ONJanuary 4, 2016
- Process credit card applications and online orders
- Assist customers through checkout
- Answering phone calls and directing them to the appropriate departments
- Engage in good working relationships with customers
- Learned how to communicate effectively with customers and my coworkers
- Hardest part of my job was the repetitiveness and not facing new challenges
- Most enjoyable part is my coworkers, very caring and helpful group
Pros
Good people
Employees are given 10% discount on product. Benefits are good
Product Service Associate (PSA) (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONDecember 29, 2015
My co-workers were pleasant, and enjoyable to work with. Reliable, and friendly. The hardest part of the job was not always having the proper tools available so the assigned tasks could be completed in the time frame that was given. I learned many things from stock replenishment, receiving and processing freight, using heavy equipment, inventory control, building displays.
Pros
One hour lunches, benefits, paid sick days
Cons
Downsizing
Great Enviroment Not so great with salary
Senior Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONDecember 11, 2015
A typical day at Lowes starts and ends with the customer. Serving them in any way possible. Keeping the lines flowing and keeping the store and products presentable.
From Lowes I learned how to use Kronos and Genises P.O.S Programs.
The management team always had your back and was very helpful, but there was not always great communication going from the management to the employees, but things always worked out on the end.
The co-workers pleasant and easy to work with. There was great communication from one co-worker to another.
The hardest part of my job I would say were the hours.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people everyday, and having interesting conversations with them, and being able to build a friendly relationship with them. I would always be looking forward to meeting the regulars each day.
Also, I would learn new things from my customers almost every week.
Pros
Fridays $2.00 breakfests, Free BBQ's each month. Customers. Family enviroment
Cons
Night Shifts
working at Lowe's is very amazing
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 5, 2015
Lowe's is a fun place to work. they are like a big family they. and the management is very supportive. if there is any that ask me if lowes a good place to work i will say yes , because they look out for you and help you with everything that you need, to work safe and get the job done. they all just come together to make the work place a better place every day
Stocker/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 24, 2015
Lowes was a great place to work. While things were not perfect and sometimes there was not enough staff, there was always a stress on work safety and what was best for the customer. Even though I worked at night I felt like I was working for the sake of the customer. I liked the variety of the job. I would punch in for my shift and then head to the receiving area to see what the unloaded merchandise looked like. Then I would hop on a forklift and help the supervisor take the product to the floor for the guys. This would last about two hours and then after the first break I would usually start my own areas which were flooring, millwork and lumber. I enjoyed the hard work and the strategizing that had to take place in order to get all the product stocked. After the lunch break we would usually have inventory duties to take care of and then taking the cardboard back and winding down for the end of the shift.
Pros
consistency and stability
Cons
at times we were limited in staff
The company was not forthright
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONNovember 21, 2015
I felt that they did not do much hands on with you in the training. If you did something wrong they did not point it out so you could not learn when you did something incorrectly. They used you but did not really help you. If you asked they would tell you but they did not come out and tell you that you were doing something wrong not good. They had a high turn over on the employees due to their attitude.
Pros
discount on products
Cons
not too friendly
Fun work place and got a chance to meet different people
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONNovember 19, 2015
It wasn't a very important job but it taught me things such as how to always be productive and work as a team with my coworkers, help get the customers what they wanted in a timely fashion and always give 100% in everything I did while I was working. It was an extremely great company to work for and they have great job security and a great team. They had meetings once a week that would help the employees greet and treat not only themselves and coworkers but also customers with respect and satisfaction that didn't make it feel like work and always made the customers want to continue to do business there. It was a great place to work I just wanted something more for myself.
Pros
Cons
Wearing construction boats to work
Nice place, but upper management needs help
Commercial Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 15, 2015
I liked working there for a large portion of the job, it was stressful but rewarding kind of. I however had a problem of the macro-managing from your plethora of managers to report to. You would get different orders from different managers, very often conflicting with each other. They demanded too many things (such as look after another department even though youre drowning in work from your own department). When the store first started (I helped build the store), its manager was meh, but the next manager was amazing. He would go around to the departments and ask if they needed help, and he had a hand in everything but didnt feel like he was breathing down your neck. He was an awesome manager, keyword was. I assume he had a lot of pressure from the higher ups because he changed drastically to a delegate type of manager without really listening to the employees on their feedback.

Being there from the beginning and seeing people come and go was hard but you got to work with a lot of nice people (also a lot of bad ones too). It was very fast paced but overall not a terrible place to work.
Enjoyable workplace
front end loader (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABNovember 12, 2015
Fun enviroment to be in always someone telling a joke , coworkers were awesome made a few friends from lowes, the hardst part of the job was loading up dishwashers, most enjoyable part of the job was talking to co-workers
Pros
wearing a hat
Cons
alwyas standing around for 8 hours
Great Place to work
Sales Specialist - Inside Lawn and Garden (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 30, 2015
Apart from the 'lack of communication' from the management about decisions, the place is a fun place to work. The amount of self learning is incredible! People are fun to work with for most part and just like any organization, there is always politics involved but you can escape it if you focus on your own responsibilities.
I still feel the store can be better managed and the current management isnt the best I have seen in my years of working.
Pros
lots of learning opportunities about home improvement.
Cons
poorly managed scheduling
assist customers with hardware needs
Hardware Associate (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONOctober 17, 2015
I assisted customers with their requests; stock recovery during the slow periods. I learned all about the features and benefits of the various tools, nails, screws ,etc. from my customers and co-workers. Management was always available and helpful. The hardest part of the job was not being able to provide the needs of the customer; the most enjoyable part of the job was satisfying the customers needs.
Pros
good work environment, co-workers, management
Cons
long hours without a break usually due to staff shortages
over worked under paid
Night Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  3010 Provincial RDOctober 15, 2015
minimum wage with no shift premium for midnights.
1/2 unpaid lunch and not allowed to leave the store.
Perfect for students.
Strong Relationships
Department Manager, Full-time (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONOctober 8, 2015
Working at Lowe's has been a pleasure. The people you work with are always one of a kind. I have met some amazing people during my time with Lowe's, some of which have become great friends even outside of work.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Under Staffed
Very Supportive of employees, great place to work
Overnight Lead Receiver and Stock Personnel (Former Employee) –  London, ONOctober 6, 2015
Lowe's was very supportive of their employees and was always giving encouragement to strive for the best in everything. Co-workers were great to work with and the job was very enjoyable.
lowes
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  regina skOctober 5, 2015
it was great working with lowes . i got lot of customer service experience and got good experience for administrative skills too.
Pros
gained experience
Cons
management
Team members are great to work with and cooperative.
Distribution Planning Manager (Former Employee) –  Milton, OntarioSeptember 10, 2015
Lowe's US division operates at a more structuresd and organized environment. The Canadian division does not like to follow the same rules and pushes back to Canadianize the operation. Unfortunate for the individuals that represent the DC and communicate and work with the US head quarters.
Pros
Free Lunches and shirts
Cons
poor direction by senior management