Lowe's Employee Reviews

Bad management, unorganized and overworking staff
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC19 May 2017
Lowe's pays the bills but isn't too terribly enjoyable to work at.
The store I work at is constantly understaffed. They hire most people peak and give those people no benefits except for a minor store discount. Peak workers are often worked as much as part-time workers and actual part-time workers are worked nearly as much as full-time workers. Full-time workers frequently are booked long stretches with only one day off.
Meanwhile corporate which is incredibly disconnected from the actual stores expects more to be done constantly with less staff (They are attempting to equalize the store staff despite Canadian stores all being different sizes taking over old Target locations) and frequently change or implement new rules or procedures that constantly make even the simplest tasks more convoluted.
Trying to manage orders and customers between the store's genesis system and the online order system (which do not communicate) is unorganized as is trying to keep track of any paperwork.
It has gotten to the point where people will use tricks or stretch the truth on what they are doing in order to appease managers with the ever increasing demands.
The only upsides I can think of is they give a good amount of breaks (usually. some departments don't get their break if it's too busy, or get them super late) and most of the coworkers were easy to get along with.
Pros
Acceptable pay, Friendly coworkers
Cons
Overwork staff, Unorganized, Poorly managed
Cashier / Garden centre / lumber
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON16 May 2017
Working there is ridiculous they only hire seasonal, and if you tell them that you have another job they ask you to only work for them and they said yes still hire you wan after the contract ends well that's a lie . There full-time people that were hired from the Day 1 the store open some are still there and they treat The people on contract really bad I don't recommend anybody to apply to this job
Job rewarding
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Balzac, AB15 May 2017
I worked for Lowes only for a short time. The commuting cost from my residence to work and back with the vehicle I was driving were high. The time I spent there was enjoyable working a as sales associate in the plumbing department. Store Manager had a staff ralley each morning to rev up the trops and the rest of the day you did your job unbrothered. I have nothing but praise for Lowes. I now visit the store as customer they always have what I need.
Cleaner than Home Depot
Assistant Store Manger (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 May 2017
Stores are well run , clean , bright , fun places for employees but often longer hours than scheduled

Good training, excellent support, great products and dispalys
Pros
Great store... enjoyed the products
Cons
Hours
Caring-helpful-learning culture
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON15 May 2017
Feel part of the company, encouraging team experience, managers help to improve and support members
Well defined roles, great employee training, health and safety, heavy equipment training, zero accident mandate, safe workplace, outstanding customer service and support, awesome associate support and back-up, coaching, mentoring, cash training, customer service guidelines, supportive senior management, outstanding employee store events and promotions, great atmosphere,
Laid off
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON12 May 2017
Alright work, workers were hard to find, contract ran out and the kept the worst workers and laid off the better ones. Money was laughable for what was required of the workers
Rona purchased by Lowe's stressed out the Finance department
Hyperion System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Boucherville, QC12 May 2017
Lots of projects in 2017 to align Rona's internal processes to Lowes USA. Lots of rona longtime employees are scared of being laid off due to the acquisition by Lowe's. Consequently, the pressure to perform is enormous and upper management expect a mistake-free working environment.
Great environment
Cashier/ Outside Garden Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 May 2017
One of the better places I personally have worked, i learned a lot while working here, they take the time to make sure that you are comfortable and understand how to do everything
Low productivity.
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Campridge, ON2 May 2017
This company's management are not honest and fabricate conditions that allow them to dismiss you "without cause". I also noticed that the company is not fair, or equal to all employees.
Welcome to High School
Peak Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 April 2017
I've never been in such a place that reminded me so much of high school, it's honestly ridiculous. The amount of drama, and talking behind people's backs, the cliques. It's to much. I can't stand drama. This place tops it.

The only way you will move up, is if you're best friends with management, and they actually like you.
A LOT OF favouritism.

There are a lot of nice people, but I don't really trust anyone there.

When I first started as a seasonal associate, everyone was really nice, and after a year I'm regretting ever saying so.
Cons
Horrid Scheduling, Management, Favouritism
Nothing spectacular
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 April 2017
Management is not willing to support you when you approach them. Promotions are not given to the people who actually work for it, its more hand-picked. Hardly get any weekends off.
Productive workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON20 April 2017
Satisfied, pay is on time and managers are great! workplace environment is okay and the most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with customers .
great place to watch people get fired
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  milton distribution center15 April 2017
Worst place I ever worked. You have to remind them when your raise us due. It takes almost 8 months to get benefits. You have to bring something for pot luck when the managers bring nothing. If you ask them something you get walked out the door.
Pros
lots of days off
Cons
you can get fired
Lowe"s Canada
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON14 April 2017
Management is excellent, Clean and safe work environment, awesome team environment. Lowes"s will help employees who are new to this kind of work to adjust to a fast paced environment. Yhis helps to become an employee to represent Lowe"s as a customer oriented member of the staff as customer service is always above and beyond any thing else.
To Work At Lowe's or Not?
Night Associate (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON10 April 2017
My experience at Lowe's was not a very pleasant one. I'm not saying all of the Lowe's are like that, however the one I was at wasn't very good. When I first started their they were great, or so it seemed, but once I started nights and saw what truly went on things got complicated. When I say complicated, I mean more like their; "open door policy" is questionable, wanting opinions for the better of the company is questionable, and trying to tell your employers there is something funny going on within the company with one of the employees, you end up no longer working for the company with no cause of being let go. You tell me do you work at Lowe's or not? The only good that I got from working at Lowe's is meeting a few good people, my significant other, the benefits, and understanding that I catch on quick, very quick! I enjoyed helping customers and making them happy although some would say that's hard, I found the one Lowe's I worked at was very tough.
benefits
Not great
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK7 April 2017
Enjoyed the people at this place. Management was not that good. They chose to have job fair and start people from the bottom rather than keep on the people that were alreadt trained.
Great Place to work, not much room for advancement
Delivery Person (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON21 March 2017
Lowe's North Brampton is a great place to work, but there is not very much room for advancement. the environment is amazing and the people are friendly but it was not the right career for me.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Minimum pay
very disappointing toxic environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON14 March 2017
I was recruited from a stable job to come to this nightmare don't be fooled by the open door policy and fake smiles. Everyone is out for themselves and will walk all over you. I was lured with promises of bonuses which were non existence. Pay attention to the multi job openings there is many reasons for it. Most of the ASM'S and Dm's are just waiting in line for their slice of the pie and will throw you under the bus to get it. The store managers endless bad decisions in which the store lost money to satisfy a customer was overwhelming, it didn't matter if customers threaten you with harm, they are still taken care of. No one is happy at this store. Constant bad mouthing, cold shoulder mean girl type of behaviour from both genders. Very toxic environment and the rules for the red vest are endless and other associates love to run and tell on you. I wish had never set foot in this place. No training provided or even a general care for your personal wellbeing, as long as you were making sales.
Pros
subway on site so you don't have to sit and listen to the whining in the lunch room
Cons
everything right down to the red vest
Productive and well Organized workplace.
Customer Service (Electrical) (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON14 March 2017
During my co-op at LOWES, I discovered that it was a pleasant and friendly workplace. Everyone was trained and well organized, and overall atmosphere was pleasant.
Pros
Lunch break
Cons
Boring
DistrIbution Center in Milton
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  DistrIbution Center Milton11 March 2017
Do NOT question safety policy if you don't want to be walked. Do NOT question the condition of the material handling equipment. Do NOT voice any opinion on anything. Do NOT voice anything negative about strange rituals like "high five Fridays" Pay structure is based on long tenure of 5 plus years to reach top wage. There is no raise on merit. The management team does not want to hear any constructive critism to improve. They are already the best in their minds. If you just need a job and can be a mindless automaton this is your kinda place! WARNING! You will be walked for not being a Lowe's zombie
Pros
Not much
Cons
Be a zombie