Lowe's

Lowe's Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A Shame You Can't Give Management Zero Stars
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Brantford, OntarioMay 24, 2014
Pros: they paid me on time
Cons: literally everything else
The most brutal retail job I've ever worked.

They're big on their corporate culture here and make the employees participate in a group cheer every single morning, which is intended to psych you up for your day serving customers but is really demeaning as everyone knows that Lowe's doesn't give a diddly about them. Just because one successful retail big-box has a group cheer doesn't mean that EVERY big-box store needs to cheer to be successful.

I asked five times for a name tag that had my name spelled correctly on it and never received it despite being told I would. I had to edit my own name tag so that it properly showed my real name. That's just my little tidbit for you to remember when you go in for training and they make you watch the factually-incorrect and historically inaccurate anti-union propaganda video. Lowe's is SO pro-employee that they don't need unions, don't you see?!??

When there was a flood at the store that ruined the tiny kitchenette area that regular staffers used every day to reheat and prepare their lunches they'd brought from home, it took them over a month to get it fixed. During that time there was one single microwave in the room to serve over 180 employees. There was no sink to wash your hands, dishes, or anything. Gee... I wonder where they might be able to find a new sink and cheap-o countertop?? When it finally was repaired, we were told that all of the supplies and labour to have it installed were gifts from vendors and volunteers. That is because the management of Lowe's is so caught up in keeping their store budget low so that they can come – more... out on top with a big bonus every year. Laughably, none of the management in the store eat lunch with the regular staffers or use the kitchenette, so their lunches were never affected (thank heavens!). Despite all of the mess with the kitchen, which is arguably a bonus in a workplace (but not a workplace that you'd think was really "pro-employee"), staff regularly do not have the supplies or resources to do their jobs well or serve customers quickly and accurately because, again-- supplying these items and resources would drive up the store budget, cutting in to management's bonuses.

The assistant store managers are second-worst to only the store manager, herself. They are cowards who regularly are made to deliver bad news with a big, fake smile on their faces. One of the assistant managers at the store in question doesn't bother learning anyone's name or even reading peoples' nametags: he just calls everyone "bud" or "buddy," which is probably not good practice but whatever, right?

There's a bit of racism and other bigotry that gets paraded around as funny jokes in the staff lunch room in particular by two or three staff that no one ever thinks to tell to shut up.

Cool final thoughts: if you're still within your probationary period they don't even have to tell you why you're being let go. They (management) will call it "a business decision" and will tiptoe around like the terrible cowards they are. Hopefully that means management will get their bonuses that were made on the backs of the average working stiffs who're just waiting to reheat their leftovers. – less
Positive environment with great management and co-workers.
Head Cashier (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONJuly 21, 2014
Pros: flexible scheduling, great associates and management, positive work experience.
Lowe's is an absolutely incredible environment to work in. Their values include creating open positive spaces for both employees and customers. I really enjoyed partaking in the initiative to enhance sales and to provide outstanding customer service to ensure returning customers. A typical day as a head cashier would be to assign cashiers to their duties and create the break schedule in the morning. I would clean the whole front end due to minimal customers between the hours of 6-10 AM. Once I was finished writing the schedule and cleaning, I would create a list of duties for the front end loaders to split amongst themselves for the day. Our rush at the front end would normally begin around 10:15 AM where I would stand on the mat and supervise cashiers and make myself available to assist cashiers and customer service associates. I would answer employee and customer questions, give discounts to customers and help with any technical difficulties. I would be responsible for online orders as well as phone orders and making sure that the front end runs as smoothly as possible. I would assist in loss prevention, by ensuring that big-ticket items have been paid for and deactivated. I was responsible for managing the front end activities by proactively visiting customer service, returns desk, front line registers, commercial registers, lawn and garden registers, vestibules and parking areas. I would provide direction and support to associates. I would help to ensure customer service needs are met at all times. I was also responsible for responding to all customer and employee generated – more... EAS alarm activations. I would greet and acknowledge customers in a friendly, professional manner and I would provide quick responsive service to maximize the customer s shopping experience. I would coach cashiers in providing great customer service.
I essentially learned how to become an effective leader and how to speak with associates and customers in a way that is sensitive to each persons different needs. I learned patience and how to listen carefully to customers. Something very memorable about my work experience at Lowe's would be the associates energy change once I came into work. I really enjoyed making a difference in peoples days just by my positive energy and willingness to listen to any issues and providing insight and advice to become better associates for the company.
Management was amazing, each member of management was proactive and all had different strengths and weaknesses. I liked the open door policy and it really felt like we were a family team all attempting to achieve the same goals of providing excellent customer service. The hardest part of my job was leaving Lowe's. I left to pursue further opportunities although I will always remember the positive working experience that I have gained along with the skills and knowledge. – less
Scheduling and management need work
Cashier/Customer Service/loader (Former Employee), New Westminster, BCJune 4, 2014
Pros: won't fire you over school or being sick. pay above minimum wage
Cons: no set schedule, management needs serious work to help their employee's. not just the bottom line
A typical day of a cashier at lowe's involves a lot of standing and waiting for customers then when they do appear you do usually simple cashier transactions to give them their product and send them on their way. The management doesn't like to see cashiers move to any other part of the store, other parts however don't have such restriction. You will learn how to deal with poor management for a large store though. The managers for different departments don't seem to talk to each other so complications arise a fair bit and they all seem to be more interested in the bottom line of the store and making sure the customer isn't mad at them, than the needs of their employees and as such the turnover rate is quite high. Most scheduling is random with no set days for anyone so planning your free time can be a bit of a hassle unless you book off a day a month or so in advance. When it is busy you'll have stuff to do all day and will be left alone to do your work so long as you aren't screwing up at it. It can be easy to move up in the company if you really sell yourself to it and keep making sure management is aware that you want to move up. If not you'll most likely stay at the position you're at. The most enjoyable part is some of the non-manager co-workers. They're all going through the same struggle so bonding isn't that hard. But the hardest part is dealing with the management not doing their job so you're understaffed or don't have the supplies you need or simply getting in trouble for something that's no your fault.
Terrible - run, run away
Cashier (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: pay was good
Cons: see above. there are lots.
I was bullied badly at Lowes. Oh did I try to fit in and talk to people. I made it a part of my day. I worked so hard there and loved customers and treated them like friends. I really enjoyed the job and was thrilled to go in each day. Loved it (at first).

If you have a life, prepare to put that life on hold because you'll be clocking 45 hour weeks in the summer. 6 days straight and you will be scheduled against your wishes so you can forget about booking days off because you won't get them.

And oh, forget about anyone liking you if you put in alot of effort and shine all the time and you're not one of the cool kids. I was disliked and ostracized like I had a disease. I was constant fodder for gossip. Lowes is one big clique pretty much a re-run of high school. They hire college students who don't even know how to talk to someone over 35, if they even look at you. All of their younger staff seem to have a hearing problem and won't talk to someone who is "old".

I am really angry at Lowe's for the bullying I went through and being ignored. HR was a joke - she was more concerned about her friends at Lowes than me. Never got any compliments from management at all despite what I brought in every day in terms of energy and enthusiasm. No one stepped in to help me in the worst of it all so I had to leave and it's a terrible job market.

Beware of one manager who really is the devil. Honest to God, she is. Run for the hills.
If it wasn't for the other people on overnights I would have KILLED myself.
Overnight stocking Associate (Former Employee), London, ONJune 27, 2012
Pros: benefits
Cons: poor (and lying) management
Typical day... start @ 10:30 NOT ONE MINUTE EARLY or else you will be penalized..
Go to store pep rally (whoopie). Be told store wouldn't function with out you (BLAH ..BLAH.. BLAH..).
Clean up day shift mess..Approximately 6 hours.
Attempt to put stock away (like putting a square peg in a round hole).
Be told by day shift manager that you didn't live up to their expectations. Or that you didn't put forth 110 %.
Suck it up because the benefits were the only good thing about this company
Management would hide from any and every responsibility ( Well what do YOU think we should do ???).
Some co-workers were awesome others I wouldn't cross the road to urinate in their ear if their brain was on fire...
Hardest part of my job was going in everyday...
Most enjoyable part was going home at the end of my shift.
The best was when you get hired and told by the store manager that you will only be in a position for a couple of months....There will be lots of chances to move up....15 months later you quit to take a lower paying job just so you can return to a normal lifestyle and sleep patterns.
I know what your thinking but I'm not a whinner I received 2 exemplary performance reviews and I never missed a day of work and always pulled my own weight.
Could have been a great job with better training and teamwork.
Head Cashier (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMay 11, 2014
Pros: good pay, good amount of breaks
Cons: not enough staff booked for a shift, very stressful altogether
As the summary says, Lowe's had the potential to be a great job. I worked with some great people, and had a good pay as head cashier. Unfortunately, the longer I stayed there, the more I began to dread going to work. I barely got trained, a lot of what I knew was self-taught, and many other people felt the same way. I was expected to be a mind-reading customer service extraordinaire, and was made to feel like garbage if I wasn't. Because I was the youngest head cashier, I was often made to feel stupid, or talked down to. It felt like the managers really had no clue what went on in the life of a cashier, or even a loader.
Also, the customers weren't the greatest either, and were very rude and pushy. Even on my last day there, I was dragged out of the breakroom 5 minutes early to speak to a customer I had already spoken to.
Part of me was sad to leave some of my coworkers (and especially the $15/hr pay!) behind, but after losing my sanity and not being able to see my family because I was always at work dealing with rude customers and only half knowing what I was doing, I had to leave.
Might be good for someone with tougher skin, but not me.
poor management at the ASM level
Lumber associate, part time (Former Employee), Edmonton, west endAugust 2, 2015
Pros: staff, store manager
Cons: safety/loss prevention, ASM's
Overall I loved working for Lowes, West End. Store manager is great. Staff were also great to work with. However, the ASM's, for the most part have minimal people and leadership skills. In particular would be the loss prevention/safety manager. This individual consistently harasses and intimidates the female staff and members of the staff whose only income is Lowes. He has gone so far as to send a female employee up a ladder to clean fixtures while she was in a leg cast. He has a hate on for the military and has said, in front of anyone willing to listen, that he will get this person or that person. He has made one young lady cry and quit her job. These things are known by management but nothing is ever done to him. Since he has come to the west end location(from the south store) Lowes has lost some very good staff and the morale, that was once very high, is now gone. Lowes, at least in the West end, does not seem to care about their staff enough to fix the problems and would rather continually hire and retrain staff. Frustrating for those of us that care about Lowes and our jobs
Nice place, but upper management needs help
Commercial Sales Specialist (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 15, 2015
I liked working there for a large portion of the job, it was stressful but rewarding kind of. I however had a problem of the macro-managing from your plethora of managers to report to. You would get different orders from different managers, very often conflicting with each other. They demanded too many things (such as look after another department even though youre drowning in work from your own department). When the store first started (I helped build the store), its manager was meh, but the next manager was amazing. He would go around to the departments and ask if they needed help, and he had a hand in everything but didnt feel like he was breathing down your neck. He was an awesome manager, keyword was. I assume he had a lot of pressure from the higher ups because he changed drastically to a delegate type of manager without really listening to the employees on their feedback.

Being there from the beginning and seeing people come and go was hard but you got to work with a lot of nice people (also a lot of bad ones too). It was very fast paced but overall not a terrible place to work.
Bad Management
Part-time Cashier (Former Employee), Belleville, OntarioDecember 19, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: minimal training, careless management, immature co-workers, harassment from co-workers
Your first month as a cashier will be pretty awesome. The other cashiers are nice and helpful when you have questions. The system is honestly the best I have ever dealt with. BUT after that first month generally everyone will expect you to know everything even if you only have 3 days of training (working on the same till as someone watching them do transactions) after that "training" you are pretty much on your own and its pathetic. The majority of the other employees will start to get mad at you if you don't know how to do things, which will be likely because the training is horrible here.
Don't be surprised if the Managers and Head Cashiers get you in trouble for doing something wrong when you didn't know how to do it in the first place and there was no one around to help. The whole management staff couldn't care about you because "everyone is replaceable". So just be prepared to get yelled at by customers, fellow employees, and every other possible person in the store for $11.73 an hour. Gook Luck!
Don't fall for all B.S...They will use you and spit you out
Manager (Former Employee), OttawaMarch 18, 2014
Preview

Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa – March 18, 2014
I worked there for 3 years right from store opening....I never seen so much so called motivational B.S
Lowes -" we care " for the employee and their so called lowes way and culture is just window dressing...nothing more.....They preach open door policy but once they tag you for talking up they label you as negative and will performance manage out of the company......And if they can't make you look bad on paper because you were doing your job they have you sign away any rights you had when you are hired and get rid of you for as they say with no cause????
How convenient isn't it....

Unless you're totally desperate for a job.....don't be fooled how good they look on the outside....because believe me....you don't want to be under their control on the inside....

Unrealistic expectations and so two-faced.....

Do yourself a favor.....You deserve better....go somewhere else.
Beware the cliques
Front End Cashier (Former Employee), Rocky View, AlbertaApril 19, 2013
I hated it here. Absolutely hated it. I was told when I was hired that it's easy to advance - well, how can it be when you're not properly trained in the job you're hired for? You're very much left to fend for yourself, and if you ever ask for help, even in your first couple weeks on the job, you're spoken to like you're stupid, and like you shouldn't need to ask for help. You go through lots of computer "training" - TOO much, even - but it doesn't help you learn your actual job, and they don't spend nearly enough time telling you how to do it, and then their expectations are way too high.

I have been a cashier for YEARS, and that's what I did at Lowe's, so it's not like that was my first gig doing just what they wanted me to do - but learning the ways a new company does things always presents a learning curve, and they just weren't supportive of that at Lowe's.

Not only that, but if you're not one of the "cool kids", you're going to be hated! By "young" staff and "grown ups" alike.
Great Enviroment Not so great with salary
Senior Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Etobicoke, ONDecember 11, 2015
Pros: Fridays $2.00 breakfests, Free BBQ's each month. Customers. Family enviroment
Cons: Night Shifts
A typical day at Lowes starts and ends with the customer. Serving them in any way possible. Keeping the lines flowing and keeping the store and products presentable.
From Lowes I learned how to use Kronos and Genises P.O.S Programs.
The management team always had your back and was very helpful, but there was not always great communication going from the management to the employees, but things always worked out on the end.
The co-workers pleasant and easy to work with. There was great communication from one co-worker to another.
The hardest part of my job I would say were the hours.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people everyday, and having interesting conversations with them, and being able to build a friendly relationship with them. I would always be looking forward to meeting the regulars each day.
Also, I would learn new things from my customers almost every week.
Great working environment with amazing co-workers
Administrator (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 24, 2015
Lowe's is a great place to work, friendly and welcoming staff with supportive management. Working for Lowe's it is about the customer experience. I have learned to love what I do know mater the job path, while at Lowe's they have provided me with a lot of training and experience to excel in any career choice. A typical day for myself at Lowe's might be a little different then most, as I started as a cashier and worked my way up from there. I shortly moved from cashier to administrative office, special orders and Lowe's.ca. From there I was able to move to Full-time Paint and Home Decor Sales Associate. Now a Full-Time Outdoor Seasonal Associate. Although that is the label given to me I am always egar to help out any department, jumping on cash to going to grab an order from the back of receiving. At Lowe's I have been able to grow and am always challenged with new tasks everyday.
Productive and Friendly Environment
Loader, Cashier, Receiving, Sales Associate (Former Employee), North West ScarboroughNovember 15, 2013
Pros: free non-alcoholic drinks
Cons: heavy loads
-Clock in, greet customers and employees at a professional manner. Maintaining store quality by offering customer service, working as a team, and keeping the store organized and tidy.
-Products that feature in a hardware warehouse such as paint, tiles, appliances, lawn and garden, tools, lumber, home decor, plumbing, cash, and deliveries.
-Management pertained and consistently kept a tactical approach on customers and fellow employees.
-Worked together as a team to satisfy the customers need as well as amongst themselves.
-Being aggravated by pushing carts. loading customers vehicles and attending the head cash by walkie talkie all at the same-time. Was really tough on the body especially coming home feeling sore every end of the shift.
-What was most enjoyable was the fact everyone was always there to help one each other, so working as a team was really fun factor.
Fun place to work with great employees,management and customer focus
Peak Associate (Current Employee), Pickering, ONJanuary 3, 2013
Pros: pot lucks....
Cons: not enough time
I enjoy going to work but I do not have that job security. I am a Peak associate therefore i have no benefits, overall I am ha hard and consistent worker. Punctual and reliable. A typical work day for me would be on a fast yet steady pace. I am always full of smiles and the customers that comes in and out of our store always return with a smile from remembering the service they received when they last visited us. Every now and then you will find a customer that is not satisfied for whatever the reason may be. My duty is to make sure that that customer leaves our store being satisfied. The hardest part of my job is not being able to spend extended time with our customers as everyone of them deserves to be treated with likeness and respect, and I am only allowed to work 8 hours for the most. I enjoy being able to serve and have conversations with customers on a daily basis.
Stocker/Receiver (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 24, 2015
Pros: consistency and stability
Cons: at times we were limited in staff
Lowes was a great place to work. While things were not perfect and sometimes there was not enough staff, there was always a stress on work safety and what was best for the customer. Even though I worked at night I felt like I was working for the sake of the customer. I liked the variety of the job. I would punch in for my shift and then head to the receiving area to see what the unloaded merchandise looked like. Then I would hop on a forklift and help the supervisor take the product to the floor for the guys. This would last about two hours and then after the first break I would usually start my own areas which were flooring, millwork and lumber. I enjoyed the hard work and the strategizing that had to take place in order to get all the product stocked. After the lunch break we would usually have inventory duties to take care of and then taking the cardboard back and winding down for the end of the shift.
Fun work place and got a chance to meet different people
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Vaughan, ONNovember 19, 2015
Pros: Long hours
Cons: Wearing construction boats to work
It wasn't a very important job but it taught me things such as how to always be productive and work as a team with my coworkers, help get the customers what they wanted in a timely fashion and always give 100% in everything I did while I was working. It was an extremely great company to work for and they have great job security and a great team. They had meetings once a week that would help the employees greet and treat not only themselves and coworkers but also customers with respect and satisfaction that didn't make it feel like work and always made the customers want to continue to do business there. It was a great place to work I just wanted something more for myself.
Retail
Sales Associate/Retail (Current Employee), Cambridge, OntarioDecember 8, 2014
Pros: great people, good envirnoment
Lowe's has a great environment to promote great sales to our competition and our community. They ensure that we give great customer experience, and ensure that you'll get what your looking for. The energy in this is workplace is high like in any retail experience. My typical day revolves around, promoting sales, giving customer tips and personal experience about items and equipment, stocking equipment, and making sure we help anyone to the best of our knowledge. One of the hardest areas of this job, is ensuring that you help everyone, but sometime the demand of customers is more then our staff can handle, which can make obstacles. However, by following up on a customer and ensuring they had excellent customer experience, and happy with what they purchased, is the most enjoyable part.
An upbeat job where I am always learning.
Cash Office Associate/ Head Cashier (Current Employee), Niagara Falls, ONJuly 2, 2014
I enjoy my job currently mostly because its so hectic. I like to be busy all the time. I work closely along side management who is always asking me to do extra tasks, which I enjoy. I support the front end by being there for them if they have questions regarding how to deal with a customer. I also work in the cash office where I am responsible for getting the day started with new registers and then following with the daily business folder for the day. I love the people I work with and that's mostly why I've been there for so long, we're all a great team and more like friends than coworkers.
Good work environment where customer focus is the lifeblood of the company
Cashier / Customer Service (Permanent) (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 24, 2013
I am a cashier and I like working here but I still have room to improve. My job is not secure but I hope to get a raise in my pay soon. The management is alright but you don't get along with everyone. That is life in the workplace but your try which I have been doing since I started working here. I am doing what I am told to do. I just feel that this company needs to be better organized in terms of contract and in terms of employee incentives as well as benefits to employees who have remained with the company for a long time. All and all there is room for improvement with Lowe's but it is a good company to start off with in your working life.
Headquarters