LOSS PREVENTION SERVICES LIMITED Employee Reviews

Love my job!
Loss Prevention Officer (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON12 September 2017
Where can I start? Your day to day interaction with people is very limited but the job is roller-coaster of emotions... going from boredom, to high adrenaline/excitement to anger (sometimes) to feeling guilty for catching some people.. etc.
They have a variety of sites to go around (it will take some time until you start getting bored of them).
work schedule is very flexible and I can work around my school schedule.
Pros
Good pay starts at $15, flexible schedule, chill management
Cons
travelling within k/w
Benefits of LPS
Loss Prevention Investigator (Former Employee) –  London, ON23 August 2017
Loss Prevention Services was great for gaining experience for any career in law enforcement. Writing detailed reports, being very observant and organized were a few of the qualities that you learn which can benefit you for a career in policing/enforcement. Management is also extremely supportive of staff striving to become police officers or any law enforcement career.
not a good place to worl
LPI (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 August 2017
If you work for them .....good luck..... you wont be happy, clients are nice and appreciate what you do. All that matters is an arrest, preventive measures are not enough, I came into work read an arrest report for $1.37 chocolate bar...... was enough for me to leave, if your trying to be a police officer youll understand.....get a good job use your spare time volunteering. Not a good company and no moral..... yes they will yell at you for no arrests.
Excellent Work Experience
DLPM / LPI (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 August 2017
I worked for the company for 1 full year, as a Loss Prevention Investigator for the first 9 months and as a District Loss Prevention Manager for 3 months before eventually moving on to a career as a Probation & Parole Officer.

As a Loss Prevention Investigator I developed incredibly valuable skills, such as working one on one with offenders, working closely with the police, writing detailed reports, as well as familiarity with the Criminal Justice System. The job takes practice and training and a whole lot of patience, but once you're comfortable it becomes fun and provides you with excellent work experience that also looks great on a resume.

As a District Loss Prevention Manager, I developed skills managing employees, organizing schedules, and keeping a good rapport with clients/stores.

Overall the job was an incredible experience that allowed me to grow in the criminal justice field and truly helped prepare me for work as a Probation & Parole Officer, and I'm positive it would do the same for advancement in policing or corrections as well.
Pros
Work experience, autonomy, job security, lots of hours available, networking, room for advancement
Cons
Long days
Difficult to adapt
Loss Prevention Investigator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON9 August 2017
Most of the comments are spot on when it comes to management and work/life balance. This job has high turn over rate due to split shifts and it requires patience... ALOT of patience. This job will either make your policing career or burst your bubble as it's very similar to being a police officer in some aspects.
Pros
Good pay, chill management, no micro managing, thinking outside the box, travel pay will significantly bring your pay up to $1600+ sometimes
Cons
Travel, split shifts, shifts ending at midnight, dealing with crackheads
Very good employers. Its like a family there!
LP (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 July 2017
Very interesting work. Ideal for my resume to becoming a Police officer. A lot of guys got into Policing from experience from working here. Have made a lot of Police officers as friends now and great references too.
Pros
Best Company I have ever worked for!!!
Cons
IT Department takes a while to fix things
Great
Loss Prevention Officer (Current Employee) –  London, ON28 July 2017
I have been working for LPS full time for 18 months now. The pay is very good compared to other security jobs. I learned a lot about myself so far. Not only do they extremely value customer service, but the way they treat their employees is absolutely phenomenal. They have a lot of hours to cover if you are willing to work. Lots of opportunity to move up in the company if you stick around min 1 year.
Pros
good pay, good management
Cons
I often struggle to find a good work/life balance, standing on your feet 8-9 hours a day
Exciting job
Loss Prevention Officer (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON16 May 2017
This is my first security related job right after police foundations. Training is extensive and helped me understand what to look for in people. A typical work day would consist of two four hour shifts for 5 or 6 days a week. Extremely fixable times. I have only met one other co-worker in Windsor and I am unsure how many employees they have here (doesn't really bother me). The manager I deal with is friendly and supportive. The hardest part of the job is patience (just like other people mentioned), and the most enjoyable part is catching sneaky shoplifters.
Pros
Paid Training
Cons
sometimes 6 work days a week
Starting my policing career here
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  London, ON5 May 2017
this job is a great way to start my policing career. It taught me a lot about myself and people. You deal with people from all walks of life. Great opportunity to get to know the city you live, and the general population demographic versus geographical areas. Management is great, and team oriented. I had all the moral support, and a great team to work with. Will recommend if you are planning a career in law enforcement.
Pros
variety of clients, travel, pay
Cons
getting weekends off is next to impossible
Amazed!
Loss Prevention Officer (Current Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON21 April 2017
I was just hired by LPS few weeks ago, and I must say I am impressed by management and job culture. At first I was a little hesitant since I did not know much about the job, but they offered paid training (I did about 40 hours of floor training and 4 hours of video training). At the end of the training, I felt confident to be on my own and start making apprehensions. I was offered a fair hourly wage for my probationary period to be increased to $16/hr pending my performance evaluation. I have had 7 apprehensions since my start date and my supervisor is happy with the results. Overall, I will definitely recommend working for this company.
Pros
Hourly wage, experience (if you are building your policing portfolio)
Cons
travelling within the K/W region is a bit annoying
Positive work place
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  London, ON7 April 2017
Worked two positions, after a while it becomes very repetitive especially if you are bringing in loads of arrests. Working as LPI opened many opportunities to policing, and I was just hired to become a police officer out west. Overall, Job culture is amazing, and management is supportive. The hardest part of the job is to remain focus because sometimes the stores are dead.
Pros
Supportive management, good client variety, pay, job culture
Cons
raises, Dm, hours
Accommodating and great first security job
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  London, ON24 February 2017
Worked for Loss Prevention Services for 2 years. Management was very accommodating for personal life matters while still achieving full time hours. This was my first security job and by far the best first security job to have, I had the chance to utilize skills from college each day and make apprehensions as a civilian. Much better than sitting in one spot for several hours. Pay was fair but as my experience and skill developed the pay matched my ability, making it more rewarding. Always seem to have a good group of investigators working making it a fun environment to learn and grow in. If you're looking for excellent experience in law enforcement to further your goals and achievements I highly recommend working as a loss prevention officer for Loss Prevention Services as it helped develop my knowledge in the career path of my choosing. It is a very hands on skill developing job and each day will prevent new challenges.
Pros
Good hours (store hours), holidays off (mostly), good management, good skill and future career development
Great place to gain experience
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  London, ON24 February 2017
for a career in policing. You deal with all sorts of people whether addicts, or your average joe who got caught doing something stupid. This job is as close to being a police officer as it gets but as a civilian. working as LPO will make up your mind to see whether you will like being a police officer or not.
Pros
extensive training, good management, good pay, flexible hours
Cons
Chain stores in wealthy areas
Good Learning Experience
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON12 November 2016
This is a good place to learn but the wages are terrible and no chance of getting better I had to quit to go elsewhere to make a decent wage.
They only pay around minimum wage for you to risk getting injured in arresting someone definitely not worth working there.
Pros
Pretty Good Training
Cons
Terrible Wages
Ok company
Loss Prevention Officer (Current Employee) –  London, ON20 September 2016
I have been working for LPS for 2 years now. My only complaint is no room to grow in the company. The DM position is constantly filled with low IQ supervisors.

The hardest part of the job is being patient. This job will definitely get you addicted to caffeine.

You have to be careful because most of the sites have managers who are always watching you.
Pros
comfortable work environment, ok pay compared to other Loss Prevention companies, good upper management, good training
Cons
no raises, no room to grow, cannot show real talent due to micro managing by supervisors
Low Pay, Violent and Rude Managers, No Support
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 September 2016
Do not work for this company ever 2 security guards were hurt with this company. Wages are usually 11.25 an hour, no matter what they say in their ads. They will not defend or support you in the work environment. At most of their job sites the managers will yell and scream at you and treat you worst then a dog. If you can leave the security guard field it would be for your best interest.
Pros
Being Outdoors
Cons
Low Pay, Rude Supervisors and Bosses
Great Part Time Job
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  London, ON24 August 2016
Job is flexible, fun, and easy for the pay. great for students as you make $13+. Interview was a bit tricky, but totally worth it. You often have to watch your back as there are uptight people that will get on you about irrelevant/minor things just for credit.
Pros
flexible hours, good management
Cons
split shifts, no work/life balance
It is a constant challenge
Loss Prevention Officer (Current Employee) –  London, ON19 August 2016
The advantage as an established Loss Prevention company it has a known reputation for producing great investigators in the loss prevention field allowing myself a better employment opportunity like Walmart, Hudson Bay, or other big retailers.
Pros
good people, good training, friendly/flexible/understanding management
Cons
it takes years of hard work to advance in pay, low pay
A great company that cares about its employees
Loss Prevention Officer (Current Employee) –  London, ON18 August 2016
I have been working at LPS full time (a little less than a year), and I have to say it is one of the best i've ever worked for in the security industry. the management is dedicated to making employees feel like they belong to the team and they are for the most part very keen on employee concerns and requests. For the most part, management are easily accessible and are always willing to have a conversation with you. it's nice to know there are a lot of routes to go if you have an issue.
Pros
good team, clients, and management. Well rounded environment
Cons
the pay is lower than similar position at other companies
Great company
Loss Prevention Officer (Current Employee) –  London, ON16 August 2016
and they are finally getting rid of some negative and useless employees. I have been working for LPS for 8 months now, and I have nothing bad to say. LPS is now getting better and getting rid of some of the less desirable guards. It is the only security company I have worked for which has managerial support for staff. All management have been in the field, so understands where we are coming from. Good training opportunities as well. I don't know what all the other comments all about, but I am happy.
Pros
large staffing pool, enjoyable environment, cold stores in hot summers, and warm stores in cold winters
Cons
sometimes they call at last moment, low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at LOSS PREVENTION SERVICES LIMITED. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9