POSITION: Operations Supervisor
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS: Area Service Centre Manager
LOCATED AT: Red Deer, AB
The Supervisor provides “hands-on” proactive management of the employees engaged in the daily pick-up, handling and delivery of packages and freight, within prescribed standards of cost, efficiency, accuracy and on-time distribution. Implements new procedures to improve operational effectiveness and provides performance reports for management as required. Acts as a proactive member of the Sales resource team in the provision of Customer service solutions.
- Recruits, orients, trains, schedules, manages and recommends discipline for all operations staff.
- Establishes/implements productivity, quality and cost measurements & strategies to achieve desired operational results.
- Ensures timely and accurate distribution of inbound and/or outgoing freight daily, in accordance with established standards and procedures.
- Completes accurate and timely reports for management as required (staff schedules, attendance records, recruitment/ payroll documentation, dangerous goods incidents, WCB reports, on hands, load quality, arrival/departure).
- Ensures successful implementation & continued application of scanning technology.
- Applies appropriate leadership/management style with open communication (i.e., communicates Corporate strategic plan, recognition of individual/team contributions) to motivate staff.
- Ensures sufficient staff resources, materials and supplies on hand at all times.
- Ensures warehouse is organized and set up for next shift.
- Maintains equipment, in safe, efficient operating condition at all times.
- Establishes/maintains a proactive safety program in compliance with legislative requirements and the collective agreement.
- Ensures Owner/Operators have qualified and trained relief drivers.
- Investigates employee complaints/grievances, prepares written replies and liaisons with the Manager, Employee Relations & Hub Manager re: final responses.
- Establishes/maintains a proactive security program to safeguard the company’s physical assets.
- Implements & follows up on Customer Service solutions as determined by Sales resource team.
- Identifies/tracks/adjusts operation to meet linehaul schedules (SQI) standards by auditing & measuring productivity (KPI).
- Reorganize operations as necessary to meet operation changes & emergencies.
- Updates shift supervisors, operations and sales management on issues as required.
- Addresses Customer complaints in a professional, expedient manner.
- Performs other assignments (i.e., assists Hub Manager) as required.
- Responsible for internal and external Customer satisfaction.
- Ensure all required freight is sorted as per the required departures.
- All non-conveyable material cubed, and mail scanned accordingly.
- 100% on time linehaul departures daily.
- Identify and address root causes (not just treat symptoms) of service failures.
- Ensure less than 1% freight missorts daily.
- Ensure productivity maintained at or above the budgeted number of pieces per person per hour.
- Ensure no more than 20% annual staff turnover.
- Ensure daily scheduled hours targets are met.
- Staff overtime/driver costs within approved budget.
- Ensure compliance with Transport of Dangerous Goods and WHMIS.
- Improve/reduce operational costs.
- Improve load quality by 15%.
- Reduce WCB claims by 10%.
- Reduce damage claims by 10%.
- Achieve 100% cubing of all applicable air and ground product.
- Scheduling protocol to minimize grievances and comply with Collective Agreement.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Proven communication skills - written & oral.
- Demonstrated leadership, analysis & problem solving skills.
- PC skills (Word processing & spreadsheet).
- Working knowledge/interpretation of Collective Agreements & Occupational Health & Safety Act.
- High school diploma.
- Demonstrated drive, initiative & flexibility to ensure task completion.
- Demonstrated time management & organization skills.
- Manage multiple activities/deadlines.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Demonstrated ability to be assertive.
- Must take Transport of Dangerous Goods & WHMIS training courses.
- 3 years’ warehouse/linehaul operations experience in courier industry.
- Knowledge & compliance with Dangerous Goods/WHMIS special handling procedures.
- College or University designation in an appropriate discipline.
- Prior working experience with quality/process improvement initiatives.
- Ranges from frequent to considerable fatigue and discomfort (e.g., warehouse dirty & open to elements, time constraints, variable operational changes). Frequent to considerable concentrated levels of attention (e.g., staffing crises). Tension, anxiety and mental stress are from frequent to considerable in the job.
Interested and qualified candidates, please submit your resume to Shelley.Seaba @loomis-express.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer and believe we will gain through the recruitment and development of staff who represent the broad diversity of the Canadian workforce.
Indeed - 18 months ago
From deliveries to the Alaskan Gold Rush in 1905 through armoured cars to ground and courier service, the Loomis brand has a long history of...