Longo's Employee Reviews

Inefficient place to work, no loyalty to employees.
Part-Time produce clerk (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ON30 November 2016
In my opinion, workers who are loyal to this company are not shown the same loyalty in return. Respect is not returned to employees. Inefficient workplace that does not like new ideas from lower level employees.
Longo's... a not so fresh tradition
Prepared Foods Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 November 2016
A family owned company that used to pride themselves on fresh product and great customer service. Now the company only cares about making the most amount of money, and removing shrink from their stores... even if this includes changing the dates on packaged food items and using/selling items past their due date. Managers and HR scare employees into thinking the way they want them to.. and will put you in terrible situations to make you quit instead of firing you. Honestly just a s*** show. If you want to keep your sanity, and stick to basic morals - stay away from Longo's before you become disgusted with their practices.
Pros
great co-workers, decent benefits package
Cons
hours being cut, low food quality, lazy managers
Bad Management / Good Pay and Benefits
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 October 2016
Management is generally terrible. There is little to no support when you ask for it. From what I've seen in my 5 yrs the more friends you have in management the more likely you are to move up regardless of your skill.
That being said, co-workers are the best people I've ever met. Hard working, out going, kind and fun.
They often give out full time hours without full time benefits (pretty shady)- their benefits are GREAT though and they give a yearly bonus based off of your store performance.
It's an easy job to go home and forget about, but hard compared to other grocery stores - heavy scruitiny and high demands. Fresh departments are well paid (meat, produce) but its a very frustrating environment when around management. Head office is very clearly disconnected from the store level.
Pros
Yearly Bonus, Full Time Benefits, Great Co-workers
Cons
Bad Management, Lack of Support, Unexpectedly Demanding
not enjoyable work place
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON24 October 2016
Horrible management! They don't listen to your concerns, they don't practice what they preach. They treat you like a number. There is absolutely no room for growth. i was put in a department that wasn't right for me after explaining this they told me they would switch me to a better department for me, because they saw i worked hard, they had me train my replacement and let me go. what i enjoyed were the other co-workers. but overall WORST JOB EXPERIENCE.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
management
Fun workplace.
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON20 October 2016
Top management was not practicing effective style of managing employees, but department managers were excellent with employees and customers. The hardest part of the job was having to deal with management that was very bossy and not effective at assigning the write people to the write jobs, and the most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with my department manager who was very knowledgeable and respectful of her employee and knowing how to get the job done and helping with the process.
Pros
Good pay, work life balance and everyone you work with generally has a welcoming and good attitude.
Cons
No room for growth, youre stuck in the same position for a long time unless you have connections to the higher ups
Decent workplace
Chef (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON3 October 2016
A simple but decent place to work for a first job and some wiggle room for climbing up and promotion. Didn't learn much. Mangement is ok. typical day is boring
Good for students
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON4 August 2016
This is a good environment for students to work part-time. The employees for the most part are friendly. Business is slow in the summer so you don't get as many hours. Lots of hours around holidays.
Longo's Review
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON23 June 2016
They do training over two weeks as part of your shifts. A typical day is consist of many hours of standing at the cash register working and maintaining a clean work space. Managers are kind and mostly flexible with shifts but punctual.
Hard and reliable work
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON10 May 2016
Already posted a review about Swiss Chalet. getting used to the harsh environment is hard at first but becomes easier with more practice.
Pros
discounts, long hours and breaks
Cons
unsafe
Very friendly work environment.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON5 May 2016
Cashing out approximately 100 customers a day and interacting with a variety of customers. Very friendly work environment that provides opportunity to move up within the company.
Its a great first job to have and it is the best working environment around
Server (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 April 2016
It's a great place to work for your first job, they are very flexible with your availability, and are willing to work around schedule. The co-workers make the working environment a great place to work at theres a lot of nice people that work there
Pros
employee discount
Cons
Productive environment meeting new people daily.
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 April 2016
Being able resolve a customer complaint and having the customer at the end of my interaction with them say, thank you. When the customer are able to come in and ask for me by name and personally thank me for helping with a last minute catering order and having the order delivered especially during a family crisis.
Pros
Building relationships with customers, vendors and staff.
Cons
Important experience, helped me expand my skills
Deli Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON11 April 2016
I've learned many skills through my employment at Longo's. The most important skill I've learned through this oppurtunity is time management. An example includes that I am now able to handle the stress and work load of school along with the long hours I work, which can vary from about 20-28 hours a week. Furthermore, another example of one of the many skills I've learned through this work experience is patience. I have understood how to thoroughly manage costumers, ensure costumer satisfaction and provide the best costumer service I am capable of providing. I am hoping to now expand my skills through new job opportunities.
Pros
Above student wage pay
Cons
Long hours, harsh manager
Good people to work with but bad management
Prepared Foods Clerk (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON10 March 2016
I have worked here for almost three years and while the people are fun to work with, the management is not so great. I am a student so I can only really work during the summer. I have asked multiple times for more hours or full time hours so I can save up for school, but many times they have overhired and I end up working only once a week. I kept on insisting that they change my hours but to no avail. There is a website where you can put your hours of availability and that was ignored as I was scheduled for days I put as unavailable, and finding someone to cover for you was just as difficult.
Pros
Was able to keep the job when I went away for school
Cons
Standing for long periods of time, no guarantee of full time, overhires
Salad bar job
Salad Bar Representative (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON7 March 2016
It was an alright job, Was not very busy so got bored a little bit the people were somewhat nice. I would recommend it to someone else
Friendly environment and great staff members
Meat Department Clerk (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON3 March 2016
Not an easy job if you have a weak stomach. The hours are not that bad, and the staff are nice. The work done in the meat department is a little disgusting at times but after a while you get used to it. Some coding for types of meats that takes a while to learn as well.
Pros
Occasional complimentary lunches
Cons
Good place to become familier with the working world
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 December 2015
Longos is a great company to start it off, The food always comes in fresh. The management team is great they listen to employees when they have concerns, they host seminars to help employees improve there knowledge.
Good Place To Start
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON11 November 2015
I really enjoyed working as a Delivery Person for this company because it taught me customer service skills, time management skills and, money skills. It is a very good first job.
Pros
Getting to know your community
Cons
Dirty Hands after Delivery
Grocery Clerk
grocery (Former Employee) –  Fairview, ON6 November 2015
Employees are great to get along with. Managers don't do anything. Upper management even worse. I've been in the business for over 20 years and one of the worst I've seen
Pros
Friendly employees
Cons
Be prepared to work till 10 o'clock every night
Great place to gain valuable and transferable skills
DEPARTMENT CLERK (Former Employee) –  markham10 October 2015
very flexible with school and exam times.
fun staff, great customers
learned to clean, respond positively to customers
saying no to staying longer than your shift
working together as a team/community
Pros
christmas party/bonuses