Longo's Employee Reviews

Terrible atmosphere . Bad HR department. Upper management are very unfair and cruel to team members and managers.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON19 June 2017
Please don't consider a career here. They rant and rave about treating you like family but it's the opposite of that. When you are in need of help they kick you down instead. Work/life balance is horrible. I regret ever working for Longos.
Pros
Work with some good people
Cons
Too many
my opinion
gorcery clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 June 2017
its great and all but the management is not the greatest at all. I do feel like my voice is being heard and communication is not the greatest. I would not considered this job to anymore.
great workplace
"Customer Service Representative" (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 May 2017
Great place to work with great people and room to work grow. had to leave because i had to get a full time job. would definetly come back if i had the opportunity.
Awful corporate head office with rude, incompetent teams, family favoritism & horrible HR department
Finance, Human Resources, IT (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON26 May 2017
- Zero Engagement
- Horrible & Useless HR Mgr's/Directors/VP
- Favoritism for all family member who behave rudely & violently - Micromanagement
They put every effort to make stores look good b/c that's all you see as the customer. Over priced food. Pay $5 extra for a potato salad because I am serving it to you. Shop at the other L, LOBLAWS!
Pros
None.
Cons
People are welcoming, but the job is not.
Seafood Clerk (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON23 May 2017
This job does not allow for much advancement, which is quite a shame considering how much fun it could be at times. This job had the right sense of family but unfortunately lacked in the area of providing this family with further support in the workforce.
Great workplace, family oriented, nice co-workers!
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON19 May 2017
A typical day at work gets pretty busy depending on the time but you are constantly talking to customers and helping everyone that you can out. I learned how to approach people better and how to work with money. The management was great, like I said everyone is friendly so its a great place to work! The culture is very friendly, everyone is always willing to help you. The hardest part of the job is when there are very many customers on holidays and everyone is running around trying to help other customers. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people that you work with. You can make friends for life at this company!
Cons
Short break times with sometimes very long work hours
It's a job, not the worst, not the best
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 May 2017
start shift, complete menial tasks/duties, end shift >repeat
this is at best a part time job, the people that stay are lifers with no access to union in the work place
brown nosing wins big points
hardest part was dealing with poor management solely concerned with keeping head office decrees in place that were not relevant to furthering the actual business or service
Above average low-tier retail workplace, difficulty with flexibility
Overnight Produce / Receiver (Former Employee) –  North York, ON3 May 2017
2.5 years working, much of that time a positive experience. Difficulty with accommodating personal disasters unwilling to grant leave despite homeless
Pros
Independent responsibilities, managers give respect and trust regarding individual responsibilities, unlike teenage-centric employers like Walmart.
Cons
Refusal to be flexible with personal crises, grant even a short leave, even while homeless due to personal issues at residence
Productive and amazing place to work at with mini-salad bar
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 April 2017
It's an awesome place that offers unique food and fresh produce. The staff are excellent to work with, the hours are flexible and the pay is incredible as the salary gets increased based on job performance per year.
Pros
Free coupons
Cons
pay for your lunch/ Longo's products
Not the greatest job.
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 March 2017
As a customer service clerk at Longo's, my job was basically to do everything that nobody else wanted to do. This was not very enjoyable. Also it was EXHAUSTING.

Want to know more about Longo's?

Ask a question
Cashier experience
GROCERY STORE CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON9 March 2017
I really enjoyed working as a cashier at Longo's. I stayed at the store for two and a half years because I really enjoyed the work environment and really enjoyed the customer service aspect of the job.
Pros
Customer service experience
Great Place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON27 February 2017
Great staff, some mangers are great! Others not so much. Store mangers and some department mangers often push for faster production so very fast pace environment. Other than that its a great place
Pros
great hours
Cons
closes at 10
Bakery Manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 February 2017
Management and team members work well together. If there is a problem or situation it is resolved quickly. What I have learned from this company is treat your customers like family
Inefficient place to work, no loyalty to employees.
Part-Time produce clerk (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ON30 November 2016
In my opinion, workers who are loyal to this company are not shown the same loyalty in return. Respect is not returned to employees. Inefficient workplace that does not like new ideas from lower level employees.
Longo's... a not so fresh tradition
Prepared Foods Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 November 2016
A family owned company that used to pride themselves on fresh product and great customer service. Now the company only cares about making the most amount of money, and removing shrink from their stores... even if this includes changing the dates on packaged food items and using/selling items past their due date. Managers and HR scare employees into thinking the way they want them to.. and will put you in terrible situations to make you quit instead of firing you. Honestly just a s*** show. If you want to keep your sanity, and stick to basic morals - stay away from Longo's before you become disgusted with their practices.
Pros
great co-workers, decent benefits package
Cons
hours being cut, low food quality, lazy managers
Bad Management / Good Pay and Benefits
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 October 2016
Management is generally terrible. There is little to no support when you ask for it. From what I've seen in my 5 yrs the more friends you have in management the more likely you are to move up regardless of your skill.
That being said, co-workers are the best people I've ever met. Hard working, out going, kind and fun.
They often give out full time hours without full time benefits (pretty shady)- their benefits are GREAT though and they give a yearly bonus based off of your store performance.
It's an easy job to go home and forget about, but hard compared to other grocery stores - heavy scruitiny and high demands. Fresh departments are well paid (meat, produce) but its a very frustrating environment when around management. Head office is very clearly disconnected from the store level.
Pros
Yearly Bonus, Full Time Benefits, Great Co-workers
Cons
Bad Management, Lack of Support, Unexpectedly Demanding
not enjoyable work place
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON24 October 2016
Horrible management! They don't listen to your concerns, they don't practice what they preach. They treat you like a number. There is absolutely no room for growth. i was put in a department that wasn't right for me after explaining this they told me they would switch me to a better department for me, because they saw i worked hard, they had me train my replacement and let me go. what i enjoyed were the other co-workers. but overall WORST JOB EXPERIENCE.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
management
Fun workplace.
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON20 October 2016
Top management was not practicing effective style of managing employees, but department managers were excellent with employees and customers. The hardest part of the job was having to deal with management that was very bossy and not effective at assigning the write people to the write jobs, and the most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with my department manager who was very knowledgeable and respectful of her employee and knowing how to get the job done and helping with the process.
Pros
Good pay, work life balance and everyone you work with generally has a welcoming and good attitude.
Cons
No room for growth, youre stuck in the same position for a long time unless you have connections to the higher ups
Decent workplace
Chef (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON3 October 2016
A simple but decent place to work for a first job and some wiggle room for climbing up and promotion. Didn't learn much. Mangement is ok. typical day is boring
Good for students
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON4 August 2016
This is a good environment for students to work part-time. The employees for the most part are friendly. Business is slow in the summer so you don't get as many hours. Lots of hours around holidays.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Longo's. Our community is ready to answer.