Longo's Employee Reviews in Canada

Hard and reliable work
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 10, 2016
Already posted a review about Swiss Chalet. getting used to the harsh environment is hard at first but becomes easier with more practice.
Pros
discounts, long hours and breaks
Cons
unsafe
Very friendly work environment.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 5, 2016
Cashing out approximately 100 customers a day and interacting with a variety of customers. Very friendly work environment that provides opportunity to move up within the company.
Its a great first job to have and it is the best working environment around
Server (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 22, 2016
It's a great place to work for your first job, they are very flexible with your availability, and are willing to work around schedule. The co-workers make the working environment a great place to work at theres a lot of nice people that work there
Pros
employee discount
Cons
Productive environment meeting new people daily.
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 21, 2016
Being able resolve a customer complaint and having the customer at the end of my interaction with them say, thank you. When the customer are able to come in and ask for me by name and personally thank me for helping with a last minute catering order and having the order delivered especially during a family crisis.
Pros
Building relationships with customers, vendors and staff.
Cons
Important experience, helped me expand my skills
Deli Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 11, 2016
I've learned many skills through my employment at Longo's. The most important skill I've learned through this oppurtunity is time management. An example includes that I am now able to handle the stress and work load of school along with the long hours I work, which can vary from about 20-28 hours a week. Furthermore, another example of one of the many skills I've learned through this work experience is patience. I have understood how to thoroughly manage costumers, ensure costumer satisfaction and provide the best costumer service I am capable of providing. I am hoping to now expand my skills through new job opportunities.
Pros
Above student wage pay
Cons
Long hours, harsh manager
Good people to work with but bad management
Prepared Foods Clerk (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONMarch 10, 2016
I have worked here for almost three years and while the people are fun to work with, the management is not so great. I am a student so I can only really work during the summer. I have asked multiple times for more hours or full time hours so I can save up for school, but many times they have overhired and I end up working only once a week. I kept on insisting that they change my hours but to no avail. There is a website where you can put your hours of availability and that was ignored as I was scheduled for days I put as unavailable, and finding someone to cover for you was just as difficult.
Pros
Was able to keep the job when I went away for school
Cons
Standing for long periods of time, no guarantee of full time, overhires
Salad bar job
Salad Bar Representative (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONMarch 7, 2016
It was an alright job, Was not very busy so got bored a little bit the people were somewhat nice. I would recommend it to someone else
Friendly environment and great staff members
Meat Department Clerk (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMarch 3, 2016
Not an easy job if you have a weak stomach. The hours are not that bad, and the staff are nice. The work done in the meat department is a little disgusting at times but after a while you get used to it. Some coding for types of meats that takes a while to learn as well.
Pros
Occasional complimentary lunches
Cons
Good place to become familier with the working world
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONDecember 30, 2015
Longos is a great company to start it off, The food always comes in fresh. The management team is great they listen to employees when they have concerns, they host seminars to help employees improve there knowledge.
Good Place To Start
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONNovember 11, 2015
I really enjoyed working as a Delivery Person for this company because it taught me customer service skills, time management skills and, money skills. It is a very good first job.
Pros
Getting to know your community
Cons
Dirty Hands after Delivery
Grocery Clerk
grocery (Former Employee) –  Fairview, ONNovember 6, 2015
Employees are great to get along with. Managers don't do anything. Upper management even worse. I've been in the business for over 20 years and one of the worst I've seen
Pros
Friendly employees
Cons
Be prepared to work till 10 o'clock every night
Great place to gain valuable and transferable skills
DEPARTMENT CLERK (Former Employee) –  markhamOctober 10, 2015
very flexible with school and exam times.
fun staff, great customers
learned to clean, respond positively to customers
saying no to staying longer than your shift
working together as a team/community
Pros
christmas party/bonuses
Good Environment, Valuable experience
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONSeptember 8, 2015
A good place to find work either as a student or part-time employee. The co-workers are friendly and easy to work with. The work isn't incredibly challenging but for an entry level position it is a good place.
Longo's Vision??? Money!!!
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  AuroraAugust 1, 2015
The only highlight of working for this company is the Benefit plan and Bonus! More work thrown to stronger staff while the slackers get turned a blind eye too. I made the mistake of taking a management role with this company, big mistake! Received the name tag but not the pay to go with the promotion for 4 months with no retro pay! They preach a Vision which includes respect, hmmm they should practise what they preach. After learning this lesson I handed back promotion and just stayed with company til my two years were up so my RRSP was unlocked and received their portion! Helped make up for the 4 months back pay they owe me! Other management informed me they got screwed also when they took management position. Lesson learned! Show increase on pay then wear the name tag.....
Pros
Benefits, Bonus
Cons
Head Office Disconnect from store level.
A day of work at Longo's
seafood clerk (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJuly 21, 2015
My shift would start at 6.30 a.m on days, or at 4 p.m on others. I would be the only clerk working in the department. I will begin my morning shifts taking the seafood out of the cooler, then setting up the display case with the products. I then will ice the seafood as needed, and clean the windows, the floors and tidy up the department. I will proceed to fill out the sweep log as I go on throughout the day. I will greet and serve customers, fill the frozen, and package seafood for the outside bunkers.
Most enjoyable part of the day at work was getting the chance to set up and work on my own. I was able to complete everything on time and as required by my manager. I enjoy working in a fast paced environment due to the fact that I work very well under pressure. This also helps the time pass by very quickly. My least favorite part was days when the store was not very busy. Overall, working at Longo's has been a great experience, and it helped build up my skills .
Pros
lots of hours of work
Cons
not very busy
I enjoy working with my co worker.
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONApril 13, 2015
The most important thing is I love what I am doing cause if you love what you do everything was fun and enjoyable.The work is all about the fruit and vegetables and salad that we prepare for the store and ready to deliver. Sometimes we go home early at least 3:00 pm but always long day. I learned how to be more flexible especially long hours and when work together as a team work job was easy and plant ahead of time.
Pros
when we worker long hours yes we have free dinner
Cons
long hours and we have to work sunday
surpised events, such as bowling and Christmas parties
Customer Service Representative / Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 23, 2015
my typical day at longos is cashing out groceries, The hardest part of my Job is standing for long ours with only a half n hour and two ten mins break, the most enjoyable thing is all that my co workers have amazing personality's
Pros
benifits, free snacks
Cons
short breaks, with long hours
Overall great place to work
Grocery Clerk/ Dairy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 13, 2015
I liked working at Longo's. Everyday was more or less exciting. I had cheerful co-workers and was able to connect well with everyone. The only problem is that i had a hard time getting the hours that I needed.
Pros
all of my co-workers including managers were down to earth
Cons
not enough hours
Cashier (Former Employee) –  WoodbridgeDecember 17, 2014
This job required an assistant and I to manage and calculate total inventory in the factory of PROVO Wires. While counting, I was also exposed to different types of wiring and their usage in the electronic world. My co-workers were very friendly and we could all bond about completely the same line of work. Management was very encouraging and respectful even if some mistakes in the counting were detected. The hardest part was having to complete my task in a dusty environment. The most enjoyable was getting to spend time with co-workers while completing the job.
Pros
great hours and wages
Cons
dusty environment
Good place to start but not enough communication
Customer Service Representative and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 6, 2014
Co-workers are great, management is turning over and too many newly implemented rules without enough communication enforced.
Pros
not enough communication
Cons
do not value hard working employees