LONDON LIFE Employee Reviews

blah blah blah
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON19 May 2017
If you want to work in big business where the bosses are all incestuous then you have found the right home. people here are fake and nasty be warned..
See death of a salesman
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON13 May 2017
Like the movie you Can never go Back in time but Now I could make a killing doing this job but back in the days gone by before the internet explosion and 9/11 it was a boiler Room environnement.
Pros
Writeing off everything
tough business...
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS10 May 2017
the business is tough to get going. the company offers a great training program and allowance to help you get started. it's a people business and the more you know the better you will do.
Opportunity for advancement
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  London, ON8 May 2017
Very accommodating to employee - life balance. Opportunity with management backing for advancement. Employees treated well and with respect. Excellent training provided with New Business
Avoid it
Contract Auditing and Corrections (Current Employee) –  London, ON22 April 2017
The contract auditing department is awful.They go through management turnover because no one wants to stay and the workers who do everything get treated poorly. It's a never ending contract without security or benefits.
Great place to work with many benefits included.
Claims Assessor/Customer Service/Systems Support (Former Employee) –  London, ON21 April 2017
Many people work their entire lives here and retire with great benefits. The offices are nice with a fabulous cafeteria, access to on-sight medical help, and a fitness centre.
Pros
The on-sight employee benefits.
Cons
Downtown location makes parking difficult
Claims adjudicator
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  London, ON21 March 2017
A typical day at work would involve processing health and dental claims as well as hospital claims to process a benefit check for the recipient. Limited customer contact with this position.
Food Service/Cafeteria terrible place to work
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  London, ON13 March 2017
I worked in the 4th floor cafeteria as a dish room supervisor. First of all, probationary period here is 6 months not the usual 3 as at other companies. Cafeteria management is the worst I've ever seen in this industry. Management leads you to believe you are doing a great job and fills you with false hope. When I was released from my position just before the end of my probation management refused to give me a specific reason why they felt I didnt meet their expectations. Best of luck to the next individual who applies for the Dish Room Porter Lead Hand position. People call in sick constantly and constantly understaffed. The employees who have been there awhile get away with things they would never get away with at any other company.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Poor Management
Life Insurance / Segregated Funds
Life Insurance Representative (Former Employee) –  London, Ontario8 March 2017
I love working with people and assisting them to find coverage for their needs. With Segregated Funds invested under an Insurance Company there is good return on investment and safety of the investment.
Carefree laid back atmosphere
File Clerk (Current Employee) –  London, ON23 February 2017
Sorted the files that came and filed them in the appropriate areas. Friendly bosses and co-workers, relaxing place to work.
Pros
stress free job
Cons
Paper cuts
Great place to work and grow
Sr. Client Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  London, ON5 January 2017
I really like working at London Life. It can be difficult to get in full-time permanent though. They hire a lot of contract positions and lead wit a possibility of becoming permanent. I am still waiting to get to that point.
Pros
great co-workers, team leads and managers
Cons
contract work
it is just an awesome place to work
Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  255 Dufferin av London ON19 December 2016
• Managing inventory and returned equipment
• Assist with hardware refresh by executing data backup/restore activities, installation of new desktops, laptops, and LAN printers at user locations and updating of asset records upon completion.
• Assist with the execution of IMAC services with technical and procedural guidance for desktops, laptops, personal mobile devices, printers and peripherals for head office and remote office locations within agreed service levels.
• Validate hardware and software requests for technical configuration, approvals, for completeness and compliance with corporate guidelines.
Pros
very flexible schedule, less supervisory, friendly athmosphere
Cons
temporary contract
Welfare is a better opportunity
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON14 December 2016
On the ground staff do nothing but lie about 'opportunity' presented. Offer up salary guarantees but then do nothing once they are not met except blame someone else.
Pros
Job in name only; you'll learn to identify liars quickly
Cons
Co-workers; literally everything
Relaxed workplace
Career Center Manager (Current Employee) –  London, ON2 December 2016
London Life (LL) is a relaxed place to work. It offers a very good work-life balance but may not be the right place for dynamic people who are seeking to grow. The culture is resistant to change and is political. Overall, it is the right place to work if all you see is "stability".
Pros
Relaxed, Laid Back
Cons
No growth or dynamism
Client Service Support
Client Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  London, ON13 November 2016
I'm responsible for ensuring that advisors and clients receive accurate entry of their trades with regard to segregated funds. The co-workers are awesome, but because we are large team it can often be niched.

It is great if you enjoy finance, data entry, and problem solving. The hardest part of the job for me was dealing with errors. I am less than detail oriented and it made it very hard to ensure accuracy.

Would recommend.
Pros
Discounted gym, benefits, and pension plan
Cons
A large portion of the team is on contract and permanent employment is never guaranteed.
Great Training - but 8 of 10 advisors will fail 1st year in any Life company
Financiel Securities Marketing (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON24 October 2016
Like Door to Door? Financial advising is a hard gig, lots of training, learning plus you need to be able to organize yourself to a plan. 9-10 of financial advisors will quit in the first year - that's with any Life company!
London Life's excellent training offers huge acceptance if you are moving over to any insurance agency looking for life licenses,.. including general insurance.
Make your plan A and a plan B. Don't waste money on office space, too expensive on bad months. Do your own support(support people are failed advisors). Pick a market and get calling - in person.
All successful Advisors have one thing in common - hard work 24/7. Like any new business,.. you eat, drink and breath your new business. After 2-3 years? You can decide if you can take it easy on holidays. Note: there is no seasonality to financial advising, those that say there is? Are not your friends. Good Luck!
Pros
excellent training, good support
Cons
overhead costs, cost of computer
stimulating workplace, great colleague
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  London, ON20 October 2016
Advisors are in sales so it is a challenging position. The best part is building long term relationships with clients and colleagues. Ongoing upgrades to industry education and the excellent support from subject matter experts and managers make it a unique place to work.
Pros
essentially self employed so you can mange your time and order your life to suit your needs.
Cons
you only get paid when clients take your advice, investment of time and effort does not always result in a pay cheque.
Overall great company
Bilingual Quality Assurance Auditor (Current Employee) –  London, ON20 September 2016
Great company to work for, however I had a very bad experience with my direct leader/management. Several opportunities for career advancement.
my day at work
Distribution Clerk (Current Employee) –  London, ON11 July 2016
a typical day at work is to open up mail, date stamp it, sort it to the correct teams.

My team is 4 employees. There are some issues with a few of them.
Not finishing their task and leaving it for someone else to do.

The hardest part of the job is to meet tight deadlines. I find it hard to do so because not everyone is a team player. Adds more pressure to everyone else.

The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing I gave it 100% and I can go home knowing that I gave it all
Pros
sometimes we get free lunches. Team events
Cons
Long hours during RSP season. Not alot of help if need it.
I dread everyday that I'm there
Claims Processor (Data Entry Clerk) (Current Employee) –  ON12 May 2016
I don't even know where to start. You get paid $14.69/hour to work like a dog trying to meet extremely high and unrealistic productivity goals. Having past experience working for multimillion dollar corporations has made me more aware of things in the workplace. What you get compensated is a joke for the amount of stress involved in the job. You are basically told from the get-go that you have one year to do well and within the year if you don't meet your targets (to their liking) at any point in time they can let you go whenever they want, without warning.

If driving to work has always been your thing, enjoy paying anywhere between $100-160/mth on parking. I park in a lot far away from my building and walk to and from work 15 minutes each day just to save myself $60 a month in Parking fees. Aside from it being good cardio, it's ridiculous - especially in the winters. And they don't even give you any type of parking discounts or anything. Ive worked in downtown before and if you are getting paid well enough, you wouldn't mind as much. But literally over 1/8th of my biweekly pay checks go to parking alone. And right now I'm barely getting by as it is with this job. The only reason why I accepted this position in the first place is because I was desperate and it was the best option at the time. What's even worse is that you have to stay in the role for at least 1.5 years before you can move up and even then you're not guaranteed anything because your productivity goals are so high and if you aren't performing well, you're basically stuck there or you can choose to look elsewhere.
  more... I have another job lined up at the moment that I'm waiting to hear back from and if all goes well, I can't wait to quit this job.

You are assigned a TA who basically comes around four times a day to answer any of your questions around claims processing. If you end up getting stuck with the TA I have currently, she will hound you constantly to ask questions during question period. And if you don't ask questions, she will rat you out to your supervisor. You get treated like a child and get talked down to like you're incompetent. There are days when I don't ask questions just because I want to avoid the TA who makes an already depressing and boring job more difficult. The TA I have is extremely unapproachable and asking her a question is like asking for blood. On top of that, it's hard to connect with people - no one in my work area talks to each other or even says a simple "Hello." There's absolutely nothing enjoyable about the role aside from getting a paycheck - but even then it's not worth it.

If you think this is a simple data entry job, think again. The classes were long and draining. The content is so dry and for the amount you need to know, what you get paid is not worth it at all. I was blown away with how much you needed to learn during a short period of time. The topics covered were taught in a very fast manner. And then one day you are just thrown into the work and routine of things and are strictly told that you need to maintain 98% accuracy at all times. Even if you're at 95%, they still drill you and deem it unacceptable. Even if you're working at a very fast pace, you always feel like the work never ends and your numbers aren't high enough. It's brutal. It's worse than sales.

I dread everyday that I wake up in the morning knowing I have to go to that place for 8 hours of my life that I'll never get back. It's an absolute nightmare. Most of the time I'm just trying to get through the day. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for having a job in this economy but I would much rather get paid minimum wage and work at McDonald's than work here. I feel sorry for the majority of people working in my department - chances are 90% of them do not have as much experience and are working just for the paycheck. They most likely do not fully understand or are aware of the corporate structure and what their worth is in their roles. But it is an entry level position with no post secondary education requirement, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Pros
There is a light at the end of the tunnel when the work day ends
Cons
Low salary, overworked, stressful, high productivity goals, no sense of team morale, dry content, repetitive work, unapproachable TA

Ask a question about working or interviewing at LONDON LIFE. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval