LONDON LIFE Employee Reviews in Canada

I dread everyday that I'm there
Claims Processor (Data Entry Clerk) (Current Employee) –  ONMay 12, 2016
I don't even know where to start. You get paid $14.69/hour to work like a dog trying to meet extremely high and unrealistic productivity goals. Having past experience working for multimillion dollar corporations has made me more aware of things in the workplace. What you get compensated is a joke for the amount of stress involved in the job. You are basically told from the get-go that you have one year to do well and within the year if you don't meet your targets (to their liking) at any point in time they can let you go whenever they want, without warning.

If driving to work has always been your thing, enjoy paying anywhere between $100-160/mth on parking. I park in a lot far away from my building and walk to and from work 15 minutes each day just to save myself $60 a month in Parking fees. Aside from it being good cardio, it's ridiculous - especially in the winters. And they don't even give you any type of parking discounts or anything. Ive worked in downtown before and if you are getting paid well enough, you wouldn't mind as much. But literally over 1/8th of my biweekly pay checks go to parking alone. And right now I'm barely getting by as it is with this job. The only reason why I accepted this position in the first place is because I was desperate and it was the best option at the time. What's even worse is that you have to stay in the role for at least 1.5 years before you can move up and even then you're not guaranteed anything because your productivity goals are so high and if you aren't performing well, you're basically stuck there or you can choose to look elsewhere.
  more... I have another job lined up at the moment that I'm waiting to hear back from and if all goes well, I can't wait to quit this job.

You are assigned a TA who basically comes around four times a day to answer any of your questions around claims processing. If you end up getting stuck with the TA I have currently, she will hound you constantly to ask questions during question period. And if you don't ask questions, she will rat you out to your supervisor. You get treated like a child and get talked down to like you're incompetent. There are days when I don't ask questions just because I want to avoid the TA who makes an already depressing and boring job more difficult. The TA I have is extremely unapproachable and asking her a question is like asking for blood. On top of that, it's hard to connect with people - no one in my work area talks to each other or even says a simple "Hello." There's absolutely nothing enjoyable about the role aside from getting a paycheck - but even then it's not worth it.

If you think this is a simple data entry job, think again. The classes were long and draining. The content is so dry and for the amount you need to know, what you get paid is not worth it at all. I was blown away with how much you needed to learn during a short period of time. The topics covered were taught in a very fast manner. And then one day you are just thrown into the work and routine of things and are strictly told that you need to maintain 98% accuracy at all times. Even if you're at 95%, they still drill you and deem it unacceptable. Even if you're working at a very fast pace, you always feel like the work never ends and your numbers aren't high enough. It's brutal. It's worse than sales.

I dread everyday that I wake up in the morning knowing I have to go to that place for 8 hours of my life that I'll never get back. It's an absolute nightmare. Most of the time I'm just trying to get through the day. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for having a job in this economy but I would much rather get paid minimum wage and work at McDonald's than work here. I feel sorry for the majority of people working in my department - chances are 90% of them do not have as much experience and are working just for the paycheck. They most likely do not fully understand or are aware of the corporate structure and what their worth is in their roles. But it is an entry level position with no post secondary education requirement, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Pros
There is a light at the end of the tunnel when the work day ends
Cons
Low salary, overworked, stressful, high productivity goals, no sense of team morale, dry content, repetitive work, unapproachable TA
Not a bad place to start a career
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLApril 22, 2016
Good place to learn about the Financial Services Business. To get appropriate support you must be willing to work hard very the first minute you walk through the door. If you cannot do that London Life is not for you.
Pros
Good recognition
Cons
If anything in life goes wrong, little to no support
Challenging in the best way...
IRIS Business Process Specialist (Current Employee) –  London, ONMarch 14, 2016
I have worked at London Life Head Office for 10 years. Most of the managers I have had are excellent and I learned a great deal from their leadership.

Co-workers were all excellent, with a great team spirit and desire to help one another succeed. My specific team is very vocal, and we love to debate and give our opinions, but always in a friendly and respectful way that made the process fun.

The best part of my job was the opportunity to familiarize myself with the overall Wealth Management Operations and build relationships with people at all levels of the organization. I was not limited to a small sphere.
Pros
Education and training access, benefits, job security
Cons
Old mainframe systems with diminishing available expertise
excellent managment
Distribution Service Assistant (contract) (Current Employee) –  London, ONMarch 8, 2016
Love working at this company. Lots of internal jobs to apply to and move up. Always offer more training and continuing education.
Excellent work environment, interesting projects
Office (Current Employee) –  London, ONFebruary 4, 2016
The people are great and I was always given new and interesting work to work on. Developed new skills. Adding more for word count here.
Very good education
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Regina Sk and North Bay ONJanuary 11, 2016
Loved meeting new people. Travelled, won awards, free trips. Worked with a great group of people. The education was a great experience.
Pros
Education
Cons
Nights and weekends
na
Administrative Support Clerk (Current Employee) –  London, ONOctober 26, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them. The office started to get crowded as the company grew.
OnBase System And Administration Support, New Business
System And Administration Support (Current Employee) –  London, OnSeptember 25, 2015
Products
We offer a wide range of financial products and services that meet the needs of individuals, families and business owners.
Financial Security Planning
Financial security planning is about more than retirement—it’s about making dreams come true.

Retirement & Investment Products
We provide a variety of solutions that will help you meet your financial needs including RRSPs, loans, guaranteed investments, tax-free savings accounts (TFSAs), mutual funds (distributed through Quadrus Investment Services Ltd.) and more.

Whether you’re close to retirement, or in retirement, we can help you choose the right segregated fund policies and income annuities, which can be part of the HelloLife retirement program.

Insurance
You have a variety of needs that we can satisfy with insurance. Whether it’s life insurance, disability insurance, critical illness insurance or health and dental insurance, we can help.

Mortgages
Whether you're shopping for your first home, renovating or moving up, we can help you make home ownership a reality.

Group Benefits
No matter how large or small your business or organization is, we can help you choose a group benefits plan to suit your needs.

Group Retirement & Savings Plans
We offer a range of group retirement and savings plans for employees and employers.
Benefit Payment Office
Claims Processor (Current Employee) –  London, ONtJuly 27, 2015
Throughout the day I organize multiple different claim forms (medical, heath and dental) and enter them into Great West Life's database. Through this experience I have learned the importance of attention to detail and accuracy as well as the ins and outs of basic office procedures. The hardest part about this job is the isolation and lack of communication with others as a requirement of this job is 98% accuracy and 100% focus. The best part about this job is that at the end of day I get to leave and not worry about bringing work home with me or thinking about it after I leave the office.
Great corporate work environment
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  London, ONApril 27, 2015
If you want the stability of working in a large company with decent pay in the smaller city of London, this is one of the very few places to be at.
Good organization
Bilingual Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  London, ONApril 24, 2015
 Responsible for answering telephone, voice mail and email inquiries from internal agents
 Investigating and diagnosing issues, recording the incident, and restoring service if possible or assigning incidents to second level support teams
 Contribute to content located in Service Desk Knowledge base
 Maintaining a high level of customer service
 Representing the Service desk on Transition to production projects
London Life/Great West Life/Canada Life Worst Company to Work For
Contract Escalator (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 30, 2015
A company undergoing massive restructuring. Most employees are under a torrential amount of stress. Most are ready to snap at the smallest of problems.

Work/life balance does not exist for those who are in new projects, as Great West Life is trying to consolidate practices through new business initiatives which my own personal observations have suggested will fail.

Opportunities are only available to progress in the company if over educated, while still being undervalued. The company doesn't compete with the external job market, because the corporate culture does not allow room to place importance on individuals.

Most days started optimistic, and would quickly spiral out of control. There is a real lack of organization and team effort. Most people are trying to just get through the day.
Pros
I don't work there anymore
Cons
I used to work there
marketing, filing, paperwork, inputting data, sales when required
Marketing/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, OntarioMarch 5, 2015
Very difficult industry, always having to look for your next client whether you are at work or not. Convincing people they need what you are selling isn't easy because it deals with death sickness and retirement.

Co workers aren't really an issue as you are considered business for self.

Hardest part is commission sale and enjoyable part is interacting with the clients.
Pros
worked for husband
Cons
worked for husband
productive and fun
Mailroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  London, ONSeptember 5, 2014
Process, sort and deliver mail
• Prepare mail and packages for shipment
• Sort interoffice and regular mail by department
• Log and distribute over night packages
• Maintain mailroom supply inventories
• Operate postage meters, mail sorting machines, scanners, mail sealers, envelope openers, fold-and-insert machines and
labeling machines
• Coordinate insurance payments
• Clerical duties
Pros
paid lunch
Cons
salary
Can be great or terrible depending on dept
Client Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  LondonApril 19, 2014
Was hired on a three month contract for Wealth Management special project. Loved the department. Management was great and many fun events. Kept getting renewed first for 3 months, then 4, then 1, then 1year which was cut 6 months in. Had to post to very low position to finally get ft but it was away from downtown where you were treated like the low level employee you were. Run down facilities, constant stats to be met, very low morale, treated like children but a great team to work with and very simple work. You could go home and forget about it but meanwhile, relatives and favorites were brought back into great ft jobs downtown despite their lack of work ethic.
Posted back into a new head office department with terrible management, low morale and totally unrealistic work loads, manager who harassed everyone on a daily basis and held constant meetings with trainer building an ongoing paper file just trying to get rid of you. Barely acknowledged Christmas--held Christmas lunch at 2pm on the last day before the holidays! Got to go home 1/2 hr early! As I state depends on the department you are in.
Pros
a company to be proud to work for
Cons
nepotism throughout; management varies in quality
It is a 100% commission base compansation.
Financial Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 11, 2014
Suitable for only for an individual who can survive in total commission based environment.
Pros
make your own hrs.
Cons
income not steady, no garantee
A day as A life and marketfund agent
Life Insurance and Marketfund Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONNovember 7, 2013
This was a very different type of job, you had to be very self motivated. You saw the hardest things in life such as death, and then deal with people that did not see the benefits-importance of having life products.
The manager and office staff were amazing. They always rewarded the hard work and did a lot of group functions. The hardest part of my job is when London Life was sold to another company. Seeing the service part of London Life not being exercised was very hard.
Pros
meeting so many people and gaining there trust.
Cons
company take over
Hihgly supportive and congenial work climate...primarily due to Directors of busniess dvelopmwnt.
Financial Security Advisor (Former Employee) –  St . Catharines OntarioJuly 11, 2013
...During my tenure with the firm...I was impressed with the support staff at the office as well as the ongoing training.
Pros
easy management to work with.
Cons
the firm's product shelf is limited and outdated.
Productive and effiecient workplace, with a great work life balance
Litigation Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, OntarioAugust 27, 2012
A typical day would include opening a new file, serving the Notice of Intent to Defend or Statement of Defence, answering correspondence via e-mail, fax, and regular mail, scheduling Examinations for Discovery and Mediations and taking care of invoices.
Pros
gym on first floor open 24/7
Cons
only 45 minute lunch

Comment – October 5, 2012

The supervisors would get angry if we could not resolve a call and had to have it escalated as they would then have to work.

Administrative Assistant HR
Administrative Assistant, Human Resources (Former Employee) –  London, ONApril 19, 2012
Ensured a high level on confidentiality on all prepared correspondence
Completed both direct travel arrangemnts and expense reporting for VP
First Point of contact for SVP
Administered daily calendar and screenging request for SVP
Pros
people in department
Cons
company was sold, admin jobs cut back