Loblaw Employee Reviews

Found 1,354 reviews matching the search
Long hours, high expectation of over-time
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 April 2017
Loblaw expects a lot of overtime from their employees. This is okay for managers who understand that it's part of the job, but for pickers who plan their lives around a scheduled shift often there is an expectation that he/she will stay longer.
Stressful stressful stressful
Employee (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB5 April 2017
managment does not care about the different departments they just want to look good and do minimal work. They work you like a dog. They break labour laws, especially for management... working them to the absolute bone.
I notice click and collect employees running rampant every day, doing their absolute best and they still get flack for something.
Front end staff are treated unfairly and most managers are unfriendly and once again unfair.
Please save yourself from working here. Find somewhere with a better work environment.
Pros
Nice employees
Cons
Work hard for nothing, no recognition, management
Workplace culture is great
Sr. Category Sourcing Manager (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON3 April 2017
Workplace culture is great; open office environment; lots of food & grocery items distributed to employees as samples; positive company image; stiff targets; multiple banners; complex company structure; lots to learn; great products; overall a very good company to work for if one has the ability to withstand work pressure
Pros
Subsidized breakfast & lunch, In house Goodlife fitness gym, open office environment, lots of food & grocery sample items almost every week
Cons
competitive industry, challenging targets
very productive and numbers driven.
Janitorial Services (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON3 April 2017
Fast paced environment working with hundreds of employees in a warehouse setting handling food stuff;receiving and shipping of items to customers.Competent staff.
bright and calm place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 April 2017
management was great. a lovely place for a student to work, easy going hours, many perks outside of work. a positive atmosphere with much training beforehand!
Great Place to work
Cashier (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  sherwood park alberta3 April 2017
The management needs improvement, great working environment as a student, I learned more customer service skills. I made fast friends with the other cashiers.
Pros
friendly co workers, flexible
Cons
management
Enjoyable work experience
Bakery Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 April 2017
comfortable work environment with professional and friendly people. The management is good and responsive, and the work is varying. The workplace culture is diverse and friendly. The hardest part of the job is keeping on schedule. The most enjoyable part is meeting new people and obtaining good work experience.
Pros
Good place to begin working
Cons
Minimal hours
Overworked and under paid
Salad Bar Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 April 2017
The amount of work I do for loblaws is unbelievable and I'm never appreciated for any of it. I wouldn't recommend working there - EVER. I'm trying to get out. It's one of the worse jobs I've ever had. You try and go over and beyond to help, but you'll get in trouble for doing it and then if you do what is just expected of you, again you're in trouble because you should have done more. You never win. You need help with something - don't think about asking management.. useless.
Cons
Management is horrible, pay, no benefits until after 3 years
Emploi
SUPERVISEUR\CAISSIÈRE (Current Employee) –  Saint-Hyacinthe, QC1 April 2017
L'emploi m'a permise de découvrir pleins de belle choses dans le service à la clientèle.
Good work atmosphere
Overnight Stocker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 March 2017
good overall work atmosphere, they will hire you even with little experience, Training was provided for the job, the schedule is flexible and allow to balance work and family life.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
offer mostly parttime
Good workplace!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON30 March 2017
I enjoyed working at Loblaws because it was a calm environment to work in. Most of the customers were nice and understanding if I ever screwed up something and my coworkers were always friendly. The pay was my favourite, though!
Nice company.
MATERIAL HANDLER/FORKLIFT (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK29 March 2017
Nice and big company to work...lots of overtime in my 1st year...i was a picker at start and then became a forklift operator...work incentives are good......most of the collegue find the picker/assembler position...but for me its not....i was one of the best assembler and forklift operator in my time working there...you can call and verify to my supervisors and managers regarding on my work performance....
Pros
Work Incentives
Cons
Some supervisors/collegues are racist.
Not great
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 March 2017
I worked at Loblaws a few years ago and it was genuinely quite awful. Management treated the staff poorly and the union is useless for anyone that is in their teens or 20's. They were also rarely flexible with schedules. The majority of staff were lovely to work with, but customers were an absolute nightmare. I believe other departments at the company were treated much better than the front end staff and I believe that was due to poor management. Overall, not my favourite job, but maybe it's someone else's cup of tea.
fun place to work
Online Shopper (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON29 March 2017
fun place to work. Friendly staff as well as an amazing management team is a vital reason for this specific position being as amazing as it is. fair hours and a plethora of benefits. would recommend to anyone looking for a job
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
rude customers from time to time
good
Customer Service Rep/Club Administrator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 March 2017
good company to work for
everyday experience
co workers always a team player
the company's management provides you lots of incentives which is
a benefit to all the employees
Productive work environment
IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON27 March 2017
Great work place. Great Minds and great people to work with. An ever innovative environment to grow and progress on your career. Dynamic and flexible work environment.
Canada's Largest Food Retailer. Great Private Label products.
Various Merchandising, Category Management Roles (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 March 2017
Days were long. We spent a lot of time sharing best practices between the different banners that fell under the Loblaw umbrella. People were reluctant to change the way to go to business. The discount segment of the market was growing significantly and it made working at the conventional banners harder.
President's Choice products had fantastic brand loyalty. Loblaws went through a short period were they tried to be everything to all people. General Merchandise, Costco, Walmart. Once they got back to food as their pillar and added the bank and clothes they got back on track quickly.
Pros
Product samples
Cons
Long Hours
Low pay High turn over, fake blue culture
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 March 2017
Everyone has a director or manager tittle. Most and almost all senior management teams have little to no experience in managing or leading the employees. Extremely high turn over rate across all departments.
Pros
free pc food
Cons
long hours, low pay, insecure position, fake culture
Terrible work envrionment
Assembler order picker (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON24 March 2017
The biggest problem about loblaw's is the people. Everyone has a eat or be eaten attitude. The system they have for amount of work that needs to get done is flawed and primitive.
Pros
pizza lunch sometimes
Cons
the people
Simple basic job
Service department supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brossard, QC23 March 2017
A good place to start for your first job. You can slowly move up from bagger to a cashier or move in other departments. It is not a demanding job, just requires patience and tolerance.
Cons
Hard to get full time status

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Loblaw. Our community is ready to answer.