Loblaw Employee Reviews

Found 1,177 reviews matching the search
a lot of room for growth
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 October 2016
It is a big company with a lot of opportunities to move up. The management team is good overall depending on the location. Management positions require a lot of hours of work.
Pros
fun environment too work
Tough Job
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK13 July 2016
This corporations philosophy is absolutely disgusting. The only thing they judge you off is performance, and if that isn't up to par meaning 90% and as FAST and exhausting as you can get they will let you go. Supervisors favour other employees over others. Also, If you just started here, make sure you don't get injured. When I hurt my arm they put me in the freezer for 5 consecutive days and I had no say. They give you freezer gear but let me tell you when your just sweeping an ice cold floor, your cold. Then my arm felt better and I got off lighter duties.. However I felt like the job wasn't for me.. Was told firmly I could work two weeks before quitting and my first official day back they terminated me. Now they got no claim to worry about. Great job loblaw! Do not work here if you want to get treated like a number instead of a person.
Pros
Good Pay, Unionized, Very nice fellow colleagues
Cons
Long hours, managers are shady, unsanitary conditions
Awful management
Hot Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON15 February 2016
Management was sub par. Meaning that they didn't properly know how to communicate with the union. Workers who were lazy/rude/demeaning never got fired, because they could complain to the union that they were being unfairly penalized, and then management would back off.

Although they attempted to bring an upbeat work culture into the workplace, both store managers that I worked under failed to consistently encourage the managers under them, as well as the common clerks in the store.

As is typical of retail work, the hours are long and inconsistent. The only time periods that I had hours that weren't like this were when I served as a Assistant Department Manager for a total period of a month.
Pros
Unionized
Cons
Long hours, inconsistent schedules, poor management (especially in regards to the union)
It's ok
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford, ON22 December 2016
The Job doesn't offer any advancement, the wage isn't anywhere near the workload you have. Management is very poor. Everyone points the finger instead of working together.
Pros
Good Staff
Cons
To many to list
fun work place with good team
Bagger/carts (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 January 2017
Typical day:
-punch in
-look over days work orders
-make sure shop is clean and safe
-start first job
-clean shop at the end of the day
- punch out

Loved the people i was working with, high energy, light harted people overall a great team to work with.
The hardest part of the job was keeping up with a very tight scedule, if there was a mistake it would throw off your time. this taught me to be quick but careful with work. the easiest way to combat is was geet it right the first time, which i prided my self on.
For me the most enjoyable part of the job was the high pressure, fassted paced working enviroment. When im focused on my job the time flyes by and i enjoy the job much more.
Pros
free oil changes and tire swaps when the shop was slow
Cons
Hour long lunches
Very Productive company lots of benefits.
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 April 2016
It was a great place to work and I would recommend this company to others. Productive, benefits are good and just a great working atmosphere and there is scope for growth in this company.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
Sometimes have to work from home
loblaws was probably the worst work experience so far.
click and collect (Current Employee) –  Jarvis, ON3 October 2016
it is a very face pace job at times we don't have time for a break. I learned that without team work and communication it is harder to function as a whole. the management isn't the best they are very unorganized. There are some co-workers that slack more then others making the work load bigger then it has to be. The hardest part is getting everything done on time on busy days. There really isn't much of an enjoyable part of the job really.
Cons
unorganized, not a positive place, stressful
Productive and Fun workplace
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 May 2016
My co-workers were very nice to me when I was on training. They trained me really well now I do everyting bynmyself. Supervision is nice too.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Less hour
Tobacco Operator (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS15 May 2016
Its a good place to work and great people to work with, good benefits and good hours. Works around your schedule if your in school.
Finance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 October 2016
I work very independently or with minimum supervision. I have learned what team work is and how we can share and develop skills and ideas. Very supportive management and with all suggestions, training or consultation. Company has great vision and develop new processes as required in the competitive world class market.
Pros
Flexible hours to work/free coffees
A typical shift at Loblaws
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2016
Work at the checkout, serve customers as they come through with their groceries. Work with the Point of Sale system and further address customer service responsibilities like customer complaints, managing cash drawer and doing return of grocery items
Pros
colleague discounts
Cons
long hours of work, not enough hourly pay
This a fast-paced job that requires lots of energy
Assembler/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON9 January 2017
At Loblaws, an assembler drives a double pallet machine on which the assembler will put together their order. By using a talkman, an assembler will go around to each pick slot and place the items on the pallets. Before an assembler starts picking, he/she is taught how to properly and safely use a double pallet machine. For the first week on the job, an assembler is taught how to put orders together, and how to evenly weight them on the pallet. An assembler must maintain an average work speed of 95% per week. However, at the beginning you only have to be at 50%, and your average percentage should increase by 5% per week. The company gives you 8-10 weeks to reach the company standards, but if you are still showing progress the company will most likely extend the probation period. The hardest part about this job is that there is minimal conversation between employees because standards need to be met. So, if you enjoy hard work, and a fast-paced environment, this job is for you.
Rewarding and Challenging Environment
Merchant (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 September 2016
Great place to really hone your craft as a negotiator, forecaster and overall Category Manager. Lots of opportunity to advance if you put the long hours and hard work into it. Great place to work and Loblaws puts a lot of focus on creating a good culture.
Fast paced and demanding
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 March 2016
Long hours of work
Expected overtime with no extra pay
Good Pay and benefits
Complicated Politics
High Expectations to deliver results
Pros
Good bonus system
Cons
Very Political
Little respect, overworked, no advancement
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 October 2015
8 years working night shift. There is VERY LITTLE respect towards crew from management to supervisors. No acknowledgment for your hard work. "Good" and "fast" persons are overworked and put in the heaviest aisles while the lazy people are put in the slowest aisles with no training or reprimands for slacking off 75% of their shift, while the hard working employees are actually bashed on for not doing a good enough job!! Hitting a promotion is like winning the lottery...don't count on it.

Continuous payroll problems! They don't listen or abide by contract. No weekends off.

Supervisor turn over is tremendous. Hardly ever train and promote within and always hire or relocate from outside sources or other stores.

Always trying to win the "lowest wage race" or "race to the bottom" like Wal-Mart. Which leads to job insecurity.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Overworked, no respect, no advancement, gaps between employee workloads
Fun Place to Work
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON24 February 2016
Good place to work, good working culture, lots of benefits and great people. Work life balance can be difficult depending on volume of work In addition, company should invest in more corporate training.
Pros
Subsidized lunches
Cons
departments operating in silos
Don't expect to survive past probation
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Vanier, ON13 January 2017
A few of my friends were laid off from the Loblaws in Vanier a few days before the end of probation with no valid reason. One in particular never even met the manager that called him to give him the news. I know so many other companies that does this as well, all this to say it is not fair. Do not trust overnight stock managers.
Cons
Fast paced with decent employee benefits
Night Crew Storeperson (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 October 2016
As a member of the night crew that trained throughout the day, the expectations are certainly much higher at night than they are for crews that work during business hours. It is understandable as day crews have to deal with customer but this means that there will be a lot of rotation and organization left for the night crew.

The hardest part of the job is trying to create for the massive orders we receive leading up to holidays.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that it doesn't require much concentration so you are able to listen to audiobooks as long as you leave an ear free to listen for any communication
Pros
occasional free pizza
Cons
reluctance to hire for full time
Great work environment and people. but salary and advancement could be better
Sr. Supply Chain Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 January 2016
Great work environment and great people, but job advancement opportunities and salary could be much better. Had excellent coworkers on my team and loved the culture and work space, but work is a but work can be routine and there isn't any clear advancement structure.
productive
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 April 2016
Great working environment, friendly co workers. The weekly schedules however can be disappointing when you expect more hours but receive less. other then that, i enjoyed my time at loblaws.
Pros
discounts
Cons
not the best salary