Loblaw Employee Reviews in Canada

Sad place to work
Floral Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ONDecember 1, 2015
Used to be a great place to work, 20 years ago. Now, it's all about the business, no room here for anyone with a family. Evening and weekend work mandatory. Managers don't care about you, only the bottom line. Expect your hours to get cut regularly. And customers to complain there's no one there to serve them. Not enough hours given to get the job done, but get it done anyway. Most long time employees stressed, due to workload expectations. Other than that it's great. Coworkers are awesome, we're all miserable together.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Ridiculous expectations, little to no help or feedback from management. You're on your own here.
Productive and good evening supervisors and hardworking colleagues
WAREHOUSE ASSEMBLER (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKApril 30, 2016
Its a good job and at the same time hard, it requires alot of energy, they pay well for services render, incentives and bonuses. They appreciate there workers efforts by gifts and encouragement.
high energy work enviroment. working with many colleagues and many customers daily. making for always interesting day
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 2, 2015
fun work place with supportive management. not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
Pros
learn on site and getting paid as long as you are willing, the job can be taught to you.
Cons
long hours, work/life balance was not there.
The worst place ever
Manager (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan caJanuary 9, 2016
Awful inhuman hours bullying management job threatened on a daily basis if you aren't willing to put in 18 hours a day with no overtime Pay you don't care about the company or the your job. Horrendous if you are in middle management. No training no support no teamwork. I wouldn't even want my worst enemy to work there.
Pros
Cons
Too many
Awesome!!!Wow!!!!
sales representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto WEST CORP CDecember 17, 2015
Learning something new everyday is my motive.
Treat others with respect and be polite.

For the past 8+ years in the merchandising and marketing business, I have not only improved in positions but have learned to improve my skills everyday and learn new ideas. Working independently and as a team player comes a great part within myself. I like to work in a clean environment and I like to keep it that way.

Meeting new people and interacting with customers to help is the greatest smile I can put on their face and my peers.

A regular customer in a banner store will usually always remember me every time.

The hardest part of any work is attending to work on time for your scheduled shift.

Management and employers is key to the business and we should work together as a team to show competitive banners we are an environment of respect.
Solid job, but poor managrment
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Courtenay, BCApril 22, 2016
A good workplace consisting of easy to manage tasks, and a fair amount of hours. Fellow employees are fun to work with, and the customers rarely leave disappointed.
The work itself is fairly straight-forward and assistance by fellow staff is rarely in short supply.

My only grief is with the management. The employers themselves do come off as friendly, and are quite helpful on the floor when they're around. Though I'm not sure how legal some of their scheduling actions may be, as there have been rare occasions where management has changed the employee schedule without notifying staff. They also tend to regularly place day workers onto full-length night shifts, if not shifts starting as early as 2am. A grievance that has caused two employees to leave within the last few weeks, one of which neglected to even put in a two week notice.
Pros
Friendly staff, straight-forward work, lots of help
Cons
Night shifts for day workers, occasional schedule changes without notification
Great place
Grocery crew member (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BCMarch 17, 2016
Nice co workers. Worked part time. worked an over night shift so it was pretty stressful considering.
got familiar with how stores are been run in canada.
the management was supportive of employees decisions to make the working environment a better place
Friendly enviroment
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJanuary 14, 2016
This place was like a big family, everyone was so friendly and supportive. A typical day at work at Extra Foods would be work on the outside, and a lot of jokes and good times in the break room. It was always sad to see people go, it was really sad to see the place go.
Pros
I met a lot of good friends there
Cons
It's no longer running
really did not enjoy working here at all
Assembly (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKApril 10, 2016
a typical day at work will consist of really bad headaches, arguing with management and you will go home hating the fact you have to work the next day.
co workers really made this place good, they become friends
Pros
wage
Cons
everything else
A good place to start working
Associate (Former Employee) –  Brossard, QCMarch 31, 2016
The job is good for young people but once one gets older and educated it becomes a dead end because there are almost no chance of advancement. The co-workers were great though, definitely the best part of the job and my manager was amazing.
Productive, fun, customer service
General Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONJanuary 4, 2016
Enjoyable, fast paced, and fun place to work at. Loblaws Great Food also provides great responsibility and learning experiences when dealing with customers, merchandising, and restocking shelves.
Pros
Free lunches when working overtime, merchandising
Cons
heavy lifting in the summer
Good place for work. Good management.
Analyst / Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  London, ONApril 24, 2016
Good environment for work.
Co-workers friendly.
Good management.
Every day is busy, because we need to keep the tables full for all customers.
Pros
Opportunity to work and make money.
Cons
No benefits for part time job.
Great company with tons of potential
Inventory Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 21, 2016
You are always learning new things about the place. I enjoy talking and helping our regular customers. Most employees are part-time. Your schedule changes every week.
Pros
You are always meeting new people and learning things from them.
Cons
It is all part-time
Fun Place to Work
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 24, 2016
Good place to work, good working culture, lots of benefits and great people. Work life balance can be difficult depending on volume of work In addition, company should invest in more corporate training.
Pros
Subsidized lunches
Cons
departments operating in silos
Great Company Culture - the best company I've ever worked for
SAP Analyst (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONNovember 12, 2015
The head-office has a beach volleyball court, private Goodlife Gym and outdoor basketball/street hockey court. After working here, you're guaranteed interviews in literally any retail industry - who doesn't know and respect Loblaws?
Pros
Great discounted Healthy Atrium Food with great variety
Cons
Can't think of any apart from having to work in the basement as part of the IT/SAP team/department
Productive and fast paced environment
Supervisor, Cashier & Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pierrefonds, QCNovember 9, 2015
This is where I learned how to multitask and delegate tasks and become a supervisor. Management loved my "always kind, always wanting to do my best" attitude. I wasn't treated like a child (I was barely 20) it was nice to be treated like a person. Hardest part of the job was working at the customer service counter, multitasking while working 3 lineups, processing returns, loto tickets, incoming phone calls and regular client purchases. Most enjoyable part of the job was leaning what I was capable of and the friends I made while working at Loblaws.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
salary, not enough hours.
A great company to learn.
Customer Serivice/Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 10, 2015
A great company for any young employee that needs to develop good working skills and ethics. Loblaws is a great company with management that cares about all of its employees, the hardest part of the job is empathizing with customers if they were not able to find what they needed. The best part of the job was being able to develop hands on work skills and maintaining good customer service which will benefit everyone in the future.
Pros
Strong Union
Cons
Repetitive work
Interesting and Fun depending on Day
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BCDecember 28, 2015
There are good days and bad days. It really depends on the Customers and the Staff, However you learn to trudge through it. The Best part of Lob-law is meeting new people every 2-5 Minutes and the conversations depending on the amount of Items in a customers grocery shop.
fun place to work at
Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJanuary 10, 2016
Working at Loblaws I felt completely at ease and the management and peers were fun, cooperative to work with.
the schedules were flexible and going there every day was something I looked forward to.
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
was not a permanent position ; just a vendor set up
Managed all fay to day tarnsactions
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 8, 2016
Store Manager Daily Tasks are the following but not limited to:

400 plus unionized employees.
15 Salaried Managers