Loblaw Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,040 reviews matching the search
Lenient workplace where everyone was willing to help.
Night crew (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 22, 2016
I worked at Loblaws when I was recently out of high school, it's a good job that I would recommend to any high school graduate looking to make some extra money. The people were friendly and willing to help when you asked for it. It's always interesting to see how stores like this operate behind the scenes to stay looking kept up and fresh. Stocking shelves was basic work that doesn't need much explanation.
Pros
decent hours, clean, coworkers always willing to help
Cons
not many
Great College's make a great workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 14, 2015
My day start's randomly can be anywhere between 6am-630pm.
A lot of standing and scanning not much space to move around and stretch your legs which hurts after standing in the same spot for 8 hours.
I learned that you can't make everyone happy and that my colleges will support me more than my manager's.
The management isn't all bad some are fun to work with and some are way too tense so not much creativity can be done.
The hardest part of the job is probably having to bag groceries to costumers and smile at then while they complain and tell me how bad I am doing at my job.
The most enjoyable part is finishing my shift early and having the rest of the day to myself although doesn't happen much.
Pros
Great Colleges
Cons
Manager's can be moody
Successful team Building
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  AntigonishMarch 13, 2016
Enjoy the engagement with the people on a daily basis. Like the challenge of getting entire team headed in the same direction.

Most frustrating thing about my job is the hiccups and set backs in regard to the team direction.

what I learned....

The biggest win for me is the process of giving respect and doing for others first. Then once the relationship is established asking for the same in return.
Pros
Excellent respectful culture
Cons
Health Care change less coverage
Awesome company to work for! Everyone was like a big family and I met many of my friends at the job. Loved my boss too, she was amazing!
Sales Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Yorkton, SKJuly 23, 2016
Awesome place to work! Was like one big family, and the work was nice too. Met so many people there, and got lots of work experience. Would definitely consider working for Loblaws again one day.
Pros
Free food upstairs in the break room!
Cons
Found myself working alone in the evening lots
Great place to work with helpful staff.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bradford, ONApril 11, 2016
The day would start with a thorough check on safety products, cleanliness of workplace and stocking of shelves where necessary. This would continue throughout the day whenever possible (not serving customers).

My co-workers were always helpful and friendly and so was the management staff.

The hardest part of the job was lifting heavy boxes and the cold room.

The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with people (customers and staff).
Pros
Clean workplace and great staff
Cons
Irregular hours.
not a great place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 22, 2015
management was not great with employees
not enough hours per pay
minimum wage pay doesnt take you far
its not a job you can make a career out of
Pros
staff lunches
Cons
not enough hours
You are just a number
Machine Operator/Reach Truck (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMarch 26, 2015
-Labor intensive
-High productivity quota
-Gain skills with forklift and reach trucks
-Learn safe procedure for Propane Cylinder Exchange
-Management is not great
-Supervisors are incompetent and patronizing
-Certain supervisors will go out of their way to intimidate you or begin an altercation
-Most co-workers are enjoyable to work with
-Very repetitive
-Some cases are 90+ lbs.
-Operating reach truck is enjoyable, except it is very repetitive and many people get sore wrists
Pros
Safety/Accident free meal and or clothing incentives every 30 days.
Cons
Very repetitive, Quota has been raised several times.
Terrible place to work
Baker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 20, 2016
I only stayed 1 week at this job as it was not what I expected. Even the most simple tasks are made difficult because the freezer where you get your products out of is usually filled with baking racks that are in your way. Also I was told to just climb on top of boxes of food to get to the boxes in the back.
Hygiene takes a back seat as well. I am surprised people are not getting sick.
Pros
Cons
minimum wage
Great Company to work for
Sr. Manager IT Audit (Current Employee) –  Ontario CanadaJuly 22, 2015
Loblaw is one of the best company's to work for. They have a great work environment and a superb work life balance. Compensation wise Loblaw maybe a bit behind but they truly make up for it with the great culture.
Pros
Great work life balance
Cons
Do not pay very well
Westwinds store is the worst store to work for!!
Courtesy clerk/price checker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 13, 2016
Don't apply if you don't want to be overworked and insulted! Management does not know how to deal employees with respect and dignity.
Pros
Get paid 50 cent extra than regular retail store (11.65 to be exact)
Cons
Short Hours, No health and safety regulation for employees, Overworked, Cheap Management, No respect for low level employees
security
Meat Department (Current Employee) –  Collingwood, ONApril 12, 2016
Loblaws is a great place to work for, employees are great and very friendly. the only problem I have with Loblaws. there is no job security there. they only once in 3 months gave me 40 hrs. and every week after and before is either 12 hrs. a week or 9 hrs. a week. this isn't a job security job. nor you can even pay your bills or even a bill with that amount. dis satisfied on that part. if you are considering a job with Loblaws in Collingwood, may want to think again if you need hours.
Pros
very friendly
Cons
not enough hours
Great co-workers, always something to do.
Click and Collect (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONApril 3, 2016
I would gather orders people placed online and gather their desired items. I would bag and ring up the items and organize the bill and how they would be paying.
I learned how to organize my time better and how to deal with stressful situations.
The hardest part was dealing with customers. As much as I loved this job, there were some customers I felt uncomfortable serving.
Most enjoyable part of the job was being given the time to work independently as well as work as a team.
work
Cashier/ customer service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 20, 2015
Easy place to work at and understand. it is a big company. same tasks daily. the most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them,
benefits
Cons
tiring
Forward looking business model to maintain industry edge
Data Storage Systems and Solution Analyst (Current Employee) –  Brampton , ONJuly 9, 2016
Moderate work environment, leading Canadian retail organisation with businesses focused on grocery, gas bars, health care and support.

Financial institution data management and support.
Pros
Colleague discount program available for items on promotion
Cons
Jobs Outsourcing
Watch yourself - especially if you're not part of the "in crowd"
manager (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 8, 2016
They are a good employer overall but once you get to the age of 50, count your days. They terminate long term employee affecting pensions and benefits of tenured/mature workers. As for promotions, this will work if you are part of the team that likes you or you latch on to someone that's rising in the company.
Pros
Experience, many areas to work in
Cons
lack of help and true opportunity
I enjoy what I do. I get to help people every day
Full Time Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONApril 8, 2016
A typical day involves a lot of walking and talking. I have learned some "go-to phrases" that help deal with difficult customers. Management is lacking in delegation and has difficulties doing the job on her own. The hardest part of the day is working with my department manager. She cannot cope and our work bottle necks at her end. The most enjoyable part of my day is when our customer walks away with a smile on their face.
fun and lively work environment
Deli department (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONFebruary 27, 2016
always great to walk into work and see people smiling back at you or asking you how your day is going.
It's a fun and inspiring place to work where all staff is approachable and management are friendly and knowledgeable if you ever have any questions you may have.
Pros
store staff incentives- lunches, free skating, bowling ect
Cons
sometimes its chilly in the store
productive and fun workplace with wonderful coworkers
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 19, 2016
A typical day at work would be separating the skids and work harmony load to shelves in the health and beauty department. Everyday I learn the new items that come in from the delivery load. The hardest part would have to be pulling the loads over to my department with the pump trucks but the most enjoyable part would be working alone at night as I work the nightshift so the store is closed.
Only Good For Students
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SKJune 29, 2016
My workplace was terrible. I wonder how bad it would be to work there if it wasn't unionized.

Office staff was not easy to deal with.

A very demanding workplace. They expected you to work part time but do the work of a full time employee.

I am kind of embarrassed to say that I worked there.
Pros
good for students
Cons
poor pay, low hours, job not secure
A good place to start working
Associate (Former Employee) –  Brossard, QCMarch 31, 2016
The job is good for young people but once one gets older and educated it becomes a dead end because there are almost no chance of advancement. The co-workers were great though, definitely the best part of the job and my manager was amazing.