Loblaw

Loblaw Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Was very productive, yet hired at a bad time
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Saint-Laurent, QCMay 30, 2013
Pros: great colleagues
Cons: minimal hours
A typical day at work involved getting the deli ready at 8am. After mixing the salads, I'd start preparing the fried foods and the chicken. Total preparation took about 3 hours, after which the lunch-rush would begin. After which there were very little clients. Though I was told by my manager and colleague that I was very productive and a quick learner, I was let go due to hour cuts and summer's coming which led to less customers. I enjoyed working with my main colleague, and my manager was very enjoyable to work for. The hardest part of my job was finding things to do between 2 and 5, due to little to no customers.
Worse as time goes on
Clerk (Current Employee), Toronto/Niagara areaOctober 14, 2012
Pros: very little
Cons: too many to type
This used to be a good company but has been on a steady decline since I started. No opportunity for advancement and don't even think about getting a full time position. Been with the company for several years and still only getting 28 hours a week! They want new people hired too but if you are one of the new hires, only expect about 4-8 hours a week! Company is cutting hours and still expects all jobs and more to get done. Expectations are ridiculous. Employee morale is extremely poor and will get even worse I'm sure. Try to go elsewhere for employment because you will get no where with Loblaws
Fun workplace with great co workers and an understanding management team.
Cashier (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONSeptember 14, 2012
Pros: enjoyable work, good staff and management all around. pay was reasonable and good company benefits.
Cons: none that come to mind.
My position at Loblaws was a very fulfilling and enjoyable job for me. I enjoyed working with customers, I always had a smile and a "How are you today" ready for them. Many of our regular customers would look for me to check them out as I tried to make them all feel we valued their patronage to our store.
I very regrettably had to leave this position after 5 years of employment due to my 14 year old daughter's then serious illness.
Fast paced and fun to work at.
Cart retriever & Inventory stocker (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: friendly environment, changing pace, encouraging staff
Cons: could be slow in the evening
Loblaws was the first place that I worked at and was one of the most memorable. The staff were caring to everyone and and there was a real sense of unity among the workforce.
Generally a day for me would be retrieving carts and putting them back in the main corral, as well as some inventory work if it was slow outside.
The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the demand as sometimes I'd haul 7 carts back to the main corral with people stopping me and taking one so by the time I made it back there would only be one left.
A fun but sometimes hard place to work.
Produce Clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 6, 2013
Pros: birthday celebrations, christmas dinners, event gatherings
Cons: not enough hours, little respect, a lot of rumors
I enjoyed the friends i made at loblaw.
I learned to always try to out do myself.
Management at my perticular branch was not the best unfortunately.
The manager did not treat the employees with the proper respect or care that they deserved.
The hardest part of the job was definitely not having enough hours seeing as i love to keep busy and i love to work.
The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know the people as well as the company and being able to familiarise myself with the store and properly helping clients that needed my attention.
It was a nice place to work got to meet several types of people
night crew salad bar clerk (Former Employee), London, ONJanuary 15, 2013
Pros: recieved discount on store purchases, benifits
Cons: hours were never guarenteed
In a typical night at lowblaws I would make one hundred to one hundred fifty salads prep produce and station for next shift. I learned to make salads, read recipes, weigh and proportion produce and work well alone or as a team. The management was understanding and acomadating with the scheduling of shifts. I got along with my co-workers and would help to cover shifts when needed. the hardest part of the job was standing in one place the majority of the shift. Every shift was differed from the next in quantities and items made.
Busy day at Loblaws
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Elmvale, ONSeptember 8, 2012
Pros: friendly environment
Cons: long hours standing
A typical day a work would be an extremely busy day. Long line ups in front of the 4 daily cashes opened. The co-workers are friendly but there is never enough of us to deal with such long line ups. We have to deal with angry customers on a daily basis. It can be very stressful at times.The hardest part of the job is car service. Lifting those bins up consistently damaged my back. I suffer severe back pains due to this. It was a great experience but considering my health issues, I could no longer continue working there.
An Interesting, supportive workplace
Cashier (Current Employee), St. John's, NLSeptember 15, 2015
Pros: 25% discount on monthly bill
Cons: N/A
Working in Loblaw Companies Limited is one of my most unforgettable memories. There are many reasons allow me talk like this. It is a very nice workplace which has a lot benefits and It owns a strict systematic management with out being rigid. Besides that, the company takes both customers and stuff as the first place so that every stuff is willing to work in there. Happiness and easiness fill in each employee even in the busiest hour because that each one has experienced its thorough training and becomes totally skilled.
Large Company with many opportunities to make an impact
Senior Engineering Analyst, Flow Deployment (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 12, 2014
Pros: fantastic cafeteria, good social environment
Cons: no established career progression plan
Some of the nicest colleagues I've ever had, and the variety of projects and work available is exciting for someone just starting their career and looking to make a positive impact.

Overall it's a great company. There's just the same headaches you expect from all companies this size: lack of communication between teams, senior leadership that are either too slow or too haphazard with their action plans, and the feeling that you're just this little cog in this massive machine.
Physically demanding & minimal supervision
Apparel clerk (Current Employee), London, ONApril 8, 2014
Pros: employee discount after 6 months
Cons: standing on cement floor.
Five-hour standing, walking shifts with minimal training. I learned how to use a cash register, do sales, returns, exchanges, inventory, pack garbage, recyclables, clean & maintain fitting rooms. Co-workers were had unreliable attendance & did not help tidy the section. The hardest part of the job was standing for the entire shift. Management did not continue to train to add to the variety of the position. Therefore, the daily routine became boring. The most enjoyable part of the job was no pressure & coworkers taking over when my shift was over.
You are just a number
Machine Operator/Reach Truck (Current Employee), Cambridge, ONMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Safety/Accident free meal and or clothing incentives every 30 days.
Cons: Very repetitive, Quota has been raised several times.
-Labor intensive
-High productivity quota
-Gain skills with forklift and reach trucks
-Learn safe procedure for Propane Cylinder Exchange
-Management is not great
-Supervisors are incompetent and patronizing
-Certain supervisors will go out of their way to intimidate you or begin an altercation
-Most co-workers are enjoyable to work with
-Very repetitive
-Some cases are 90+ lbs.
-Operating reach truck is enjoyable, except it is very repetitive and many people get sore wrists
Thankless & Absuive Management
Cashier (Former Employee), Whitby, ONMay 29, 2015
Pros: Good health benefits
Cons: Being treated horribly
Probably the worst place I have ever been employed because of management abuse. Extremely low hours that level out at 4 hrs/ per week; with no consistency. When the managers don't get their way, you specifically are blamed - Yelling and swearing. Never have been thanked once, work was never encouraged or complimented - Numerous safety issues within the company that are just "looked past" because managers don't want to deal with them. And worst of all, it's a constant battle for your basic labour rights.
Productive food and customer service
Hot Meals Replacement Clerk (Current Employee), MississaugaJanuary 3, 2015
A typical day would be to ask customers assistance and to cook and package the food to the customers. I would get to work in a with my wonderful co-workers as a team and work responsibly as an individual to serve customers. I've learned to gain confidence within myself and to save up money for future usage and for living expenses and having to have control of my finances. The hardest part of the job is that I can't take anything too personal such as if I'm having a bad day but I have to serve customers or if a customer is disrespecting me but you have to deal with the customers as professional as possible to the best of my abilities.
Fun place to work, great people, great learning experience..
Receiver Loader / Machine Operator (Current Employee), Mississauga, OntOctober 15, 2012
Pros: learning experience!
Cons: some of the shifts were a litlle difficult.
Overall I found Loblaws companies a great learning experience. I learned how to operate a lot of different types of machinery, also how Logistics works in general. I believe I can take what I have learned to the next level. I wish I had the opportunity to explore and learn the management side. I got the chance to meet some great people, some of whom I am still friends with. Since I love learning, I found the time in the beginning to be very fulfilling, I was able to learn a quite a bit. I also enjoyed working as a team but also individually when required.
What I have learned
System Analyst (Current Employee), Brampton, ONMarch 17, 2014
At Loblaws, I have learned to effectively work with multiple teams across different platforms. Had good exposure with the customers understanding their issues, explaining to them the root cause of the issue in simple business terms which they can understand easily. Last not least I have learned to attend the issues with a smile under the pressurized situations. The hardest part of the job is to have all the technical teams and the business teams in the same pace. The most enjoyable part of the job is to have interaction with lots of enthusiastic people who works with a smile for the President's choice Financial. Also the job at Loblaws helped me to learn well the Credit Card management.
Terrible wages and management
Cashier (Current Employee), Coquitlam, BCSeptember 14, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: terrible wages, unreasonable wage cap and break times
The store chooses your breaks, and they often abuse this power and put your break 1 hour into your shift, so you get no breaks for the rest of the day.

With the current Loblaws union contract, your hourly wage caps at $14. That's just... bad. You can't even make a living with $14/hour.

Flexible hours, and they let you switch your shifts if you let them know ahead of time if you have a good reason.

Co-workers are mostly friendly, but that has nothing to do with Loblaws - it's just how people are.
Productive and fast paced environment
Supervisor, Cashier & Customer Service (Former Employee), Pierrefonds, QCNovember 9, 2015
Pros: Great staff
Cons: salary, not enough hours.
This is where I learned how to multitask and delegate tasks and become a supervisor. Management loved my "always kind, always wanting to do my best" attitude. I wasn't treated like a child (I was barely 20) it was nice to be treated like a person. Hardest part of the job was working at the customer service counter, multitasking while working 3 lineups, processing returns, loto tickets, incoming phone calls and regular client purchases. Most enjoyable part of the job was leaning what I was capable of and the friends I made while working at Loblaws.
a fun place to work, friendly people
Floral clerk (Former Employee), Brampton, ONFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: good bennifits and occasional free lunch
Cons: none that i can remember
Always busy, doing routine maintenance on plants and flowers.
Creating floral designer for display and sale, plus custom designs for clients.
Management are very responsive to ideas to better display and sell floral products. They have ears that actually listen.
Co-workers were friendly and very productive. This showed in our floral ranking in the chain.
The hardest part of the job was floral holiday time, such as Christmas, Valentines Day, and of course Mother's Day.
All of the above.
Busy, productive, Good Life Fitness in the building
Data Integrity Coordinator (Current Employee), Brampton, ONMarch 5, 2013
Pros: 3 weeks vacation
Cons: commuting
Investigate and support issues stores may have across Canada.
I have learned to use 6 different computer systems, how to use those systems to investigate probelms.
Have meet people in different parts of the business and help them solve issues.
Our team including managers works well, suports each other, covers when help is needed.
Hardest part for me is the repetitiveness of the job and sitting for 7 hours straight a day.
The best part is knowing I helped solve issue and have them fixed for the stores to be able to work properly.
Productive and Fun
Accounts Payable Analyst (Current Employee), Brampton, ONDecember 10, 2012
Pros: good learning experience
Cons: trying to stay on top of things
-Check emails / voice mail
-Daily Reports
-attend meetings every mornings
-run pricing reports
- see if any pricing discrepancies , if any get in touch with Category team
- continue working on logged inquiries
- see if any quantity / pricing variances

i learned a lot of excel, as that used extensively
especially the usage of Vlookup and Pivot tables

Hardest part of job: Constant emails coming in, as we are the first point of contact for the vendors. But we prioritize the daily activities which we should do first
Headquarters