Loblaw Employee Reviews

Found 1,130 reviews matching the search
a lot of room for growth
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 October 2016
It is a big company with a lot of opportunities to move up. The management team is good overall depending on the location. Management positions require a lot of hours of work.
Pros
fun environment too work
Good Place to work
HR Records Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 April 2016
Loblaw is a good company to work for. It has a lot of benefits, such as flex hours and a Good life fitness on site! There are really nice people who work in this company.
About me an work
Customer service / cashier (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC30 November 2016
I am currently working at customer service as well as cashier price checker self check out attendant an sometimes supervising. I do enjoy my job yet have come to the point where I want weekends off with my family. I'm looking for something Wednesday Thursday an Friday.
Hardest part is the hours. So in January I will be working Monday an Tuesday. I feel like my hard work is at times over looked. I have only missed 2 days in 16 years an I have never been late.
I am hoping to find something to fill my days an to keep myself busy. I do enjoy the public yet also work very well alone.
Pros
People I work with are fun an I enjoy the customers
Cons
Work hours all over the place no balance in life
loblaws was probably the worst work experience so far.
click and collect (Current Employee) –  Jarvis, ON3 October 2016
it is a very face pace job at times we don't have time for a break. I learned that without team work and communication it is harder to function as a whole. the management isn't the best they are very unorganized. There are some co-workers that slack more then others making the work load bigger then it has to be. The hardest part is getting everything done on time on busy days. There really isn't much of an enjoyable part of the job really.
Cons
unorganized, not a positive place, stressful
Rewarding and Challenging Environment
Merchant (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 September 2016
Great place to really hone your craft as a negotiator, forecaster and overall Category Manager. Lots of opportunity to advance if you put the long hours and hard work into it. Great place to work and Loblaws puts a lot of focus on creating a good culture.
Finance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 October 2016
I work very independently or with minimum supervision. I have learned what team work is and how we can share and develop skills and ideas. Very supportive management and with all suggestions, training or consultation. Company has great vision and develop new processes as required in the competitive world class market.
Pros
Flexible hours to work/free coffees
Productive and fast paced environment
Supervisor, Cashier & Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pierrefonds, QC9 November 2015
This is where I learned how to multitask and delegate tasks and become a supervisor. Management loved my "always kind, always wanting to do my best" attitude. I wasn't treated like a child (I was barely 20) it was nice to be treated like a person. Hardest part of the job was working at the customer service counter, multitasking while working 3 lineups, processing returns, loto tickets, incoming phone calls and regular client purchases. Most enjoyable part of the job was leaning what I was capable of and the friends I made while working at Loblaws.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
salary, not enough hours.
Highly insecure work environment
Supply Chain Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 August 2016
I have worked at LCL for one year and in that one year I saw a dozen people get let go by the business. People were let go for no reason. Some talent that I saw being dismissed were the hardest working, engaged, intelligent, and talented people. There is very poor leadership and retention of talent in this business. Hence, there is no job security in this organization. My advice is be prepared as if everyday might be your last.
Pros
free parking
Cons
job insecurity
Poor place to work lack of proper training
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC17 September 2016
I got injured on the job because of no training at all. I asked to be transferred and no one lift a finger to help me....they told me to stay on my sick leaf and they will contact me for an update , it has been almost 2months now. I spoke with 3 managers and all lost my sick days off paper from my doctor. They care zero about their employees! No one didn't even call to find out if I was ok
Pros
Clean lunch room
Cons
Poor management, lack of care and zero transpirancy
Fast paced with decent employee benefits
Night Crew Storeperson (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 October 2016
As a member of the night crew that trained throughout the day, the expectations are certainly much higher at night than they are for crews that work during business hours. It is understandable as day crews have to deal with customer but this means that there will be a lot of rotation and organization left for the night crew.

The hardest part of the job is trying to create for the massive orders we receive leading up to holidays.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that it doesn't require much concentration so you are able to listen to audiobooks as long as you leave an ear free to listen for any communication
Pros
occasional free pizza
Cons
reluctance to hire for full time
A typical shift at Loblaws
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2016
Work at the checkout, serve customers as they come through with their groceries. Work with the Point of Sale system and further address customer service responsibilities like customer complaints, managing cash drawer and doing return of grocery items
Pros
colleague discounts
Cons
long hours of work, not enough hourly pay
Great work life balnce
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON12 July 2016
Great place to start your career, good exposure to higher level management. There is a lot of young employees that make the environment more competitive and productive
Energetic environment with new skills to be acquired
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC28 June 2016
Day to Day interaction with new people is always a positive. I learned and added so many skills to that which I already possessed such as providing exceptional customer service to customers even when put in difficult positions. I learned how to be a part of the team and to always make sure that I always represent my team in a positive light.
co workers were always amazing to work with and we helped each other when help was needed.
The hardest part of my job was dealing with difficult and rude customers, we always have to treat them with respect even when they do not show us any; with time that became easier to do.
The most enjoyable time was when there was something new to learn, I love to learn and often feel not stimulated enough when I have not learned something in a while.
Management was amazing, they always looked out for our well-being and were very approachable.
Pros
development of skill-set
Cons
Feeling drained after dealing with impatient customers
Forward looking business model to maintain industry edge
Data Storage Systems and Solution Analyst (Current Employee) –  Brampton , ON9 July 2016
Moderate work environment, leading Canadian retail organisation with businesses focused on grocery, gas bars, health care and support.

Financial institution data management and support.
Pros
Colleague discount program available for items on promotion
Cons
Jobs Outsourcing
Phenomenal Work Experience
Natural Foods Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 August 2016
Great work environment and the management provides great support. The department managers are extremely flexible and easy going.
Pros
union
Cons
long hours on feet
Not a great place
Transportation Planner (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 February 2016
Poor management, no benefits (contracted through protemps) with no moving up or being hired on in the near future after 2 years of being here.
Cons
Your days could be between 4 hours and 12 - theres no way to tell
Incredibly talented and progressive environment
Sr. Director Strategic Projects (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON20 September 2016
Loblaw is a leader in creating leaders. The experience gained from working at Loblaw is invaluable. They invest in change and empower improvement for people and the environment.
Pros
Leadership Development
Cons
Work/life balance
Good position but store format changed.
Buggy Boy (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 August 2016
I worked for Loblaws for almost twenty years. I was the most senior Buggy Boy and was able to choose my hours. I wanted to learn about other positions in the store and had applied for a few but was denied. The store's policy was to keep the handicapped persons outside of the store. I was comfortable working there until they changed the format of the store. The new hours that they offered were not ideal for me. I had not worked weekends in years and the new format stated that I would have to work three weekends per month and shorter hours through the week.
Pros
Able to talk to the customers and help them out to their cars with their groceries
Cons
Had to work outside in all types of weather.
positive work environment
Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON20 October 2016
We have learned a new system from the Happiness Project to create a positive work environment, how to prevent inefficiencies and learn what waste was (time, movement,etc). We've tried to put a lot into practise and learn from our mistakes. I've learned that change however scary, can be a good thing. My co-workers are great and are always up for a laugh while working. I enjoy doing something the same, but different each shift. Working in the health field has taught me quite a bit about people and I find it hardest when we lose a customer to a health condition.
Understanding, caring and easy to work with
Sr. Maintenance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 October 2016
My time at Loblaws was full of growth as a professional and as a person. Loblaw provided new and sometimes difficult programs to improve the business; I truly thrived and appreciated the experience.
Co-workers ranged in age from young college graduates to 30 years tenure.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
job security