Loblaw

Loblaw Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
unless you are in upper management this is not a good job
supervisor (Former Employee), High River, ABOctober 17, 2013
Pros: 10% discount card
Cons: bad hours, poor pay, terrible managers, no job security
typical day as a department supervisor is very long hours and everything needs to be done on your hours, you are not able to schedule the hours you need to perform well in your department. This makes your bonus impossible to reach, even if you did it isn't much that you can call worth you giving up your life. I say life because there is no work life – more... balance you are in store at least once a day, if not you will be called and expected to fix it over the phone or drop what you are doing and go in to help out. This might be expected from non management staff but it comes more from incompetent managers that do not know how to do anything without the help of dedicated staff. – less
Nice people to work with
Learning Centre Coordinator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 3, 2013
Pros: work life balance
Cons: temporary position
Very friendly environment, very positive and helpful instructors. Provided lots of support for all new colleagues.
Terrible wages and management
Cashier (Current Employee), Coquitlam, BCSeptember 14, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: terrible wages, unreasonable wage cap and break times
The store chooses your breaks, and they often abuse this power and put your break 1 hour into your shift, so you get no breaks for the rest of the day.

With the current Loblaws union contract, your hourly wage caps at $14. That's just... bad. You can't even make a living with $14/hour.

Flexible hours, and they let you switch your shifts if you let – more... them know ahead of time if you have a good reason.

Co-workers are mostly friendly, but that has nothing to do with Loblaws - it's just how people are. – less
Professional and Friendly work culture
Administrative Intern (Former Employee), Brampton ONSeptember 12, 2013
Working at Lolaw Companies Limited:

It was a great experience for me to working at Loblaw Companies Ltd. My day started with a meeting of a dept. In the meeting we came to know about the achievements of the dept. and their plans for the coming week. The director and the managers addresses the meeting. After the meeting everybody went to their desks. – more... All the co-workers were very helpful & cooperative. There I learned the Canadian work culture. How to interact with co-workers and seniors. I also learned filing, scanning, making reports, various types of agreements, answering phone calls etc. To see my good performance The Director of the dept. gave me additional responsibility to work on the original document of an important project. – less
Pharmacy management a disgrace (Westbank, BC)
Pharmacist (Former Employee), OkanaganSeptember 6, 2013
Pros: competitive wage and benefits. great support staff.
Cons: pharmacy manager and district manager
-instances of excessive selfish and grossly unfair scheduling by manager
-inconsistent rules
-abuse of power
-unwillingness of manager and district manager to show concern, acknowledgment, to apologize, and to rectify corruptness by simply laying out transparent rules
-unprofessional conduct and bullying by manager
-no accountability and transparency – more... in dealing with problems with manager as upper manager and HR investigate and take no meaningful action
-toxic environment
-district manager is ambitious but severely lacking experience in dealing with people and resolving problems – less
Good starting career
Quality Assurance Specialist (Current Employee), OntarioAugust 13, 2013
Cons: extremely busy all the time
Working as a QA Specialist at Loblaw is definitely a good starting career. Management does want you to grow within the company, but with minimal growth opportunities, everyone is fighting for the same position. Daily work is the same every day and some times it is difficult to stay motivated.
Interesting workplace, staff was always great working with
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 12, 2013
Pros: employees, union backing
Cons: long hours, constantly changing management
A typical day at work may include stocking shelves, working product from the backroom onto the sales floor but it almost always involved helping to serve the customer. Because of the retail setting, management was frequently shifted around which lead to difficulties with staff adapting to management styles. From this experience, I became more flexible – more... and outgoing. The best part of the job was the union security while I finished my college schooling and the wonderful employees I made friends with. – less
Loblaw gave a wonderful oppurtunity to work in WMOS and SAP
WMS / SAP integration- Integration Consultant (Current Employee), PCC Circle / Matheson officeJuly 15, 2013
Its a great company to be part of. I was a contractor to Loblaw through Cognizant Tech Solutions.
good environment
Industrial Engineering Analyst-Supply Chain (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 12, 2013
good people here to work with and lots of travelling for supply chain role.
productive and easy going work place
Administrative Assistant (Co-op Interim) (Current Employee), Brampton,onJuly 11, 2013
Pros: good office settings
Cons: have to go and work out of office too
Fun to work in this company as a co op, I feel it is a easy going atmosphere but everyone finishes there task in a timely manner
changing
Associate Merchant (Current Employee), Cambridge, ONJuly 8, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: lack of support
Loblaws is a fantastic company but as they are changing right now it is very difficult to work as it is very unorganized.
Hyper-Productive Work Environment with Great Food
Budget Team Lead - IT/SAP Quality Assurance (Current Employee), Brampton, ONJuly 4, 2013
Pros: awesome atrium/cafeteria and food giveaways
Cons: long hours; poor work-life balance
Loblaw is a demanding work environment as with any Retail company. A typical day extends well beyond the 9 to 5, but is a great place to learn how to be hyper-productive and take on many challenges in parallel.
Good company to get on the resume
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee), BramptonJuly 2, 2013
Cons: long hours and no recognition
The company is good to get on your resume - once you do GET OUT FAST!! People are great there and I have made great friends but Management has no interest in your career development. Your just a number to them. The pay is not that great and you are expected to work long hours even when you get paid peanuts.
Garbage
Employee-Orleans Superstore (Current Employee), Orleans, OntarioJune 7, 2013
Terrible place to work. I work at the Orleans Superstore and it's run by mostly idiots. Pure chaos at all levels and everything is always "someone elses fault". Just a very unprofessional organisation. Nothing is ever repaired. The Store Manager got the job through his dad. Nobody is hired Full-Time anymore. Most people are currently looking for other – more... jobs.
Would not recommend anyone to work there. – less
Very fast pace environment with tons of pressure but good salary -benefits -advancement
Grad - Management Trainee (Former Employee), Brampton, ONJune 2, 2013
Pros: opportunity is limitless, good salary & benefits, valuable experience
Cons: pressure, politics, unpaid overtime
This was my first post-grad job and loved it. I joined as a grad and worked in the store, head office and learning center.
Great and fun place to work at
Assistant Category Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, OntarioMay 25, 2013
Pros: great benefits
Great team environment where everyone works closely together. Help each other out and share knowledge & experience with one another. Overall management is great and gives constructive feedback. Enjoy the fast pace environment where your constantly learning and are challenged.
A productive workplace, focused on delivering positive returns, growth, and added value to our customers.
Associate Merchant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 21, 2013
Working at LCL is a fast paced environment.

Priorities are always placed in flux, and one has to be both agile and flexible in order to excel.

I have learned that both an open mind and positive attitude go a long way. These have been my most beneficial assets.

I've grown tremendously with LCL, and am appreciative of the direction and support I am – more... always offered.

My co-workers also strive to grow and add value, which instils a healthy amount of competition at work. We are also encouraging and supportive to one another.

The hardest part of the job is having to complete a project, function or responsibility in the 'eleventh hour', and the most enjoyable part of the job is when I am able to exceed expectations and deliver additional, unexpected value to the business. – less
Stay away
GM flow (Current Employee), Gateway, Winnipeg ManitobaApril 30, 2013
Cons: management, lack of respect, overworked, cut hours. ect.....
Stay away, this has to be the worst run place on earth.
The Gateway winnipeg location is run as if they are all 6 year olds.
Your over worked for the limited amount of hours you get, they constantly cut hours of all staff and you end up doing 3 other jobs on top of your own.
You get zero training and when you do a task wrong the manager yells at you – more... in front of customers and other staff.
It's a joke. The union is a joke they just take your money every pay and let the manager do what she wants.
The first couple of weeks you'll get some hours but they'll be cut to 5 or 8 hours a week. – less
Head Office is a Viper Pit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Staff Support (Former Employee), BramptonApril 24, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: pay for food, stressful environment, bad management, poor training, top heavy company
You've been warned ..Stay Away.

On the surface it looks like a cutting edge company but the behind the scene company culture is poison/ toxic. I had been through this before so as soon as I saw the warning signs I left.
The retail environment is very aggressive and if Loblaw has one bad Quarter then then could mean jobs will be but. I spoke with older – more... colleagues who also wished they left earlier but only stayed because of their pensions. Not just me but i saw many people voluntarily leave because the commute and the stress were just not worth it.

The choice is your but diligently consider before joining. – less

July 2, 2013

Stay away !!! They expect you to work without the right tools. Management is two faced and they will set you up to fail. You are better off working at Tim Hortons then this place. For my severance package I had to get workers rights involved to get my money. Took them a month to get it. A company that doesn't want to pay its employees. Enough said.

Loblaw is the greatest place in the world to work
Major Incident Owner (Former Employee), Brampton, ONApril 10, 2013
Loblaw is a great environment to work in as well as wonderful employees.

April 19, 2013

I worked there for 2 years. a) Pay is garbage for the amount of work you have to do b) Loyalty is gone c) no matter how much effort you put in to that workplace specifically lobalw they treat you unfair. I would not suggest anyone to apply to loblaw.

June 18, 2013

the person who posted this is delusional i worked with loblaw for several years in Vancouver-- a lot of politics going on in the workplace. no merit system most in the management level are unprofessional without concern for their employees Ever heard of the collapse of a factory in Bangladesh making Joe Fresh clothing where 400 people died .... Joe Fresh is the clothing carrid by Real Canadian Superstore owned by Loblaw

About Loblaw

Loblaw Companies Limited is the largest food retailer in Canada, with over 1,400 supermarkets operating under a variety of regional – Read more

Loblaw Photos