Loblaw Employee Reviews

Found 1,063 reviews matching the search
Overall an ok place to work
Inventory Control, Analyst (Current Employee) –  Maple GroveSeptember 30, 2015
If you can get past the poorly employed management team and the low scale salary offered; This is otherwise a great place to work.
Pros
Lots of responsibilities, great co-workers, benefits, and always things to do to keep you busy.
Cons
Poorly managed, low scale salary, work in and out of the cold.
Its Okay
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 26, 2016
Everyday varies as it mostly depends on the amount of costumers. Busy days I deal with stressful time, however, I manage it simply and improve my fast working skills. I enjoy talking to costumers, and now get to know the common customers. On less busy days, I tend to volunteer to work at other departments as they always have things to do and I rather do work. I got experience in many other departments. However, the store doesn't have any benefits offered, not even discounts on anything, sometimes free food. The management is also not great and sometimes appears to be less educated.
Working for Loblaws rewarding
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 20, 2016
My day at Loblaws started off by clocking in at the time clock,making sure I have my vest, name tag,pens and other things associated for work.I learned how to ring in the groceries fast and efficient,the management were easy to get along with so were my co-workers,the hardest part of the job was the long hours, and the most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers on a daily basis.
Pros
the interaction with the customers
Cons
Solid job, but poor managrment
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Courtenay, BCApril 22, 2016
A good workplace consisting of easy to manage tasks, and a fair amount of hours. Fellow employees are fun to work with, and the customers rarely leave disappointed.
The work itself is fairly straight-forward and assistance by fellow staff is rarely in short supply.

My only grief is with the management. The employers themselves do come off as friendly, and are quite helpful on the floor when they're around. Though I'm not sure how legal some of their scheduling actions may be, as there have been rare occasions where management has changed the employee schedule without notifying staff. They also tend to regularly place day workers onto full-length night shifts, if not shifts starting as early as 2am. A grievance that has caused two employees to leave within the last few weeks, one of which neglected to even put in a two week notice.
Pros
Friendly staff, straight-forward work, lots of help
Cons
Night shifts for day workers, occasional schedule changes without notification
Productive /hard labour
Picking/Skid Builder (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONFebruary 18, 2016
Good company to work for if your willing to be full time and for money you can work long hours and not notice the weeks going by you get trained with machinery and lifting a lot of boxes for this company but overall good place to work for full time people willing to working in storage company
Pros
GOOD MONEY
Cons
LONG HOURS
Great work, good pay and nice co-workers
Assistant Gérant/Gérant (Current Employee) –  Laval,QcOctober 24, 2015
Loved my job, had good income and great insurance. I was assistant manager and then Manager of the Bakery and Home made Recipes. Loblaws are closing down Quebec Jan 16th 2016.
Pros
Good salary. Great people. Good insurances.
Cons
Closed down.
good place to learn about foods
Stock Person (Former Employee) –  High Level, ABOctober 21, 2015
i learned a lot about exotic fruite and had a decent time working there.
would have been better if there was more hours or a little pay raise
Pros
long lunch
Cons
not good pay
high energy work enviroment. working with many colleagues and many customers daily. making for always interesting day
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 2, 2015
fun work place with supportive management. not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
Pros
learn on site and getting paid as long as you are willing, the job can be taught to you.
Cons
long hours, work/life balance was not there.
Politics and Games
Baker (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 3, 2016
Stay far away from this company. You will not be happy here. If you are part time your hours will get cut, if you are the lowest employee you will get blamed at all the time for someone else's mistake. Managers and supervisors are useless and don't care about you at all. You will have to get in their game to be favoured. Lots of losers, cowards and lazy slackers work here especially at the bakery department. I would stay away from that department it is very abusive and defamatory place to work at and it is not for every one.
Pros
None what's so ever
Cons
Very abusive and defamatory place to work at
Easy going place
Driver (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKOctober 13, 2015
Lots of independance
No one looking over the shoulder all the time
Salary and benefits are outstanding
co-workers are decent
Equipment is well maintained
Management not very effective
Pros
salary/benefits
Cons
night work
Really lax workplace.
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Christie and DupontAugust 11, 2016
A typical day at work in my department would start out with putting goods out on the line and serving customers. I would do this throughout the day then at the end of the day I would clean my department and organize the back. I learned a lot about handling meat and how it should be prepared. My co workers were all cooperative and it was a friendly environment.
Pros
Low stress level working enviroment
Cons
Slow work days
Very fun place to work, great employees
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONOctober 9, 2015
Fantastic place to work. Some of the best memories were created here. I would definitely recommend working at Loblaw. The employees create the work experience, and Loblaw found a way to filter out potential candidates, thus allowing great employees to work.
Benefits
Awesome!!!Wow!!!!
sales representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto WEST CORP CDecember 17, 2015
Learning something new everyday is my motive.
Treat others with respect and be polite.

For the past 8+ years in the merchandising and marketing business, I have not only improved in positions but have learned to improve my skills everyday and learn new ideas. Working independently and as a team player comes a great part within myself. I like to work in a clean environment and I like to keep it that way.

Meeting new people and interacting with customers to help is the greatest smile I can put on their face and my peers.

A regular customer in a banner store will usually always remember me every time.

The hardest part of any work is attending to work on time for your scheduled shift.

Management and employers is key to the business and we should work together as a team to show competitive banners we are an environment of respect.
Excellent Company
Supply Chain Analyst (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONSeptember 10, 2016
Company is always looking to new innovations. They operate with the employee and the company's best interest. It is a large company so there are great opportunities though there is also large competition for these positions. Company runs with strict moral and social conduct.
Pros
Benefits / dress down fridays / stock options
Cons
large company / opportunities have great competition
Great place to learn social skills from
Grocery Bagger/Courtesy Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJune 21, 2016
As a first job, I was able to learn important things such as communicating with the customers, taking complaints the right way and managing my bank account. I enjoyed working there, my co-workers were fun, enthusiastic people who helped me as well in the whole learning process. The part I most enjoyed about the job was communicating with customers and solving problems related to that.
Fun and Mentally stimulating
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 22, 2016
Fill, File, and process prescriptions. Talk to physicians, nurses, patients. Phone prescriptions, email prescriptions. Counting medications. Preparing mixtures, compounds, suspensions, solutions, and creams.

I learned a lot about the inner workings of the health care sector and the chain of information and command between health care providers, pharmacies, and the business aspect of health care.

Loblaw provided fair hours, though they did not cater too well to students.

My co-workers were fantastic, fun, and experienced in the field. They were always willing to teach me new procedures and guide me through processes.

The hardest part of the job was tracking the chain of information from the patient to their nurses/PSWs, to their physicians/surgeons, and to the pharmacy.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to see customer satisfaction when we delivered their medications in a timely and polite manner.
One of the worse
Design and Database Architect (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 16, 2016
One of the worse places that I ever worked at as a FT ..

Management generally don't care about their staff .. in it for themselves ..
Pros
Good pay
Cons
very high turn over .. no job security .. you are just a number
Super cool team at the store that I work.
Perpetual Inventory Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 29, 2016
The team at my store is awesome. It feels like family there.

The management team is cool too, quite approachable and very hands on in the management of the store.

The salary is low however. If you are just starting with the company you only get paid minimum wage.
Pros
10% discount card after 6 months
Cons
sometimes they cut hours. You have to have a back up job.
Awesome company to work for! Everyone was like a big family and I met many of my friends at the job. Loved my boss too, she was amazing!
Sales Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Yorkton, SKJuly 23, 2016
Awesome place to work! Was like one big family, and the work was nice too. Met so many people there, and got lots of work experience. Would definitely consider working for Loblaws again one day.
Pros
Free food upstairs in the break room!
Cons
Found myself working alone in the evening lots
Dead End Job
Sales/Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 25, 2016
There is very little opportunity to move up in the company, and the higher management tends to neglect to appreciate the staff at lower levels. The dress code is to always wear current clothing, yet you only received a partial discount on merchandise, so you end up spending a lot of money on clothing which cuts into your actual earnings substantially.

Overall Loblaw's is a very poorly managed company; I would never happily work for this company ever again.
Pros
Discount on clothes
Cons
Horrible pay, even after years of working for the company