Loblaw Employee Reviews in Canada

only downfall is wage cap
clerk/cashier/admin/payroll (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSOctober 31, 2015
Generally a good place to work. If you are motivated you can put yourself in a position to gain hours which can be meager starting off. Benefits are good and a great company for young people to start off their first jobs or for those wishing to reenter the workforce with flexable hours.
Pros
Employee discount, employee assistance program.
Cons
Wage caps.
Overall an ok place to work
Inventory Control, Analyst (Current Employee) –  Maple GroveSeptember 30, 2015
If you can get past the poorly employed management team and the low scale salary offered; This is otherwise a great place to work.
Pros
Lots of responsibilities, great co-workers, benefits, and always things to do to keep you busy.
Cons
Poorly managed, low scale salary, work in and out of the cold.
Worst Company Distribution Center
Reach Truck Operator/Assembler (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJanuary 8, 2016
You are just a number,and you better have a back like a twenty yr old for as long as you work here.Standards are unrealistic, warehouse is laid out beyond stupidity ( be sure to stack a thousand+ pounds of product on top of your water bottle base) for starters. Pallets look like pyramids due to unrealistic standards of assemblers rushing to get it done in time so they don't get written up,suspended,and eventually fired.The Union is useless because they are in the companies pocket.Supervisors and Management think their s**t don't stink,and they all claim to have done assembly at some point. I've seen more supervisors replaced,and upper management change names a few times in my 15+ yrs. The only reason they got into supervisor positions is because they could not do the job (that would explain the mayonaise on their chins) This companies distribution center is equivalent to a sweat shop of a third world country.
Pros
There are no Pro's about this company.
Cons
Good liars at making you feel like your a valuable employee.
Loblaws
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 1, 2016
When i first started at Loblaws a year ago , it was fun learning new things and having the experience of working in a grocery store .. a year later , things changed and it became a very disorganized work environment. They work the part time staff with NO hours .. they over work all the employees. Their logic is just pathetic , people complain on a daily basis even the employees. Loblaws is a terrible work place now , i don't understand why are they giving part timers who are students who need money , only 2 shifts a week? and having the dumb " total numbers of hours " for each department ? It's just ridiculous. Another thing , They expect so much to be done in a certain amount of time during a shift , but how is it possible when they are not allowed to have more then one staff on in an department? And we are getting paid not enough , when some people are having to work a three person job alone and keep the customers happy. It doesnt make sense... Loblaws needs to get their prioritize straight!.
Pros
Free lunches on special occasions
Cons
long hours, over worked staff, not high enough pay
Simple work and good learning experience with good co-workers
Frontend Store Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 14, 2016
I found working at Loblaws rarely to be overly demanding but also rarely a boring slow day. What was asked of me was never to difficult but there was enough to sustain a good day whether it was stock, grocery, or carts. I learnt how to deal with all types of people such as customers, and high up managers, as well as be respectful, attentive, and act professional. The management was always nice but would not hesitate to tell you what you are doing wrong or discipline you. The hardest part of the job is customer service due to the fact that some customers may be rude or disrespectful but at the end of the day you must always be polite and act professional. The most enjoyable has to be the camaraderie and good times with co-workers.
Overall I enjoyed working with my co-workers but there was little to be said for the management and the union there
Natural Value (Current Employee) –  MissisaugaJuly 16, 2015
I really enjoyed meeting people, helping people and always gave 100%+ to my job and life! Most of my co-workers worked hard in my store but there was a lot of decent from workers over management and the union there… too much work, no appreciation, bad ethics, no respect or due care. There was no consideration for upholding; union policies/people’s rights, company policies, and health and safety regulations and guidelines. For example our store kept plastic water bottles in the sun and heat until it was sweating at 45+ degrees on a storage trailer on the property for days on end & then sold for consumer consumption – anyone knows that is wrong! Plastic leaches into the water let alone bacteria grows!!

The real unfortunate and hardest part of the job, is that no one does anything about it as they need their jobs of course! Some ignore, are poorly trained and/or think that that is ok because they just do not care after all they are just trying to get ahead.
Pros
meeting, helping people
Cons
No benefits
Long time employed
Cashier (Current Employee) –  West Kelowna, BCFebruary 22, 2016
I am a long time employee with this company.
I work four days per week and get a good hourly wage.
There is usually free food in the lunch room.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Great work, good pay and nice co-workers
Assistant Gérant/Gérant (Current Employee) –  Laval,QcOctober 24, 2015
Loved my job, had good income and great insurance. I was assistant manager and then Manager of the Bakery and Home made Recipes. Loblaws are closing down Quebec Jan 16th 2016.
Pros
Good salary. Great people. Good insurances.
Cons
Closed down.
good place to learn about foods
Stock Person (Former Employee) –  High Level, ABOctober 21, 2015
i learned a lot about exotic fruite and had a decent time working there.
would have been better if there was more hours or a little pay raise
Pros
long lunch
Cons
not good pay
Easy going place
Driver (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKOctober 13, 2015
Lots of independance
No one looking over the shoulder all the time
Salary and benefits are outstanding
co-workers are decent
Equipment is well maintained
Management not very effective
Pros
salary/benefits
Cons
night work
high energy work enviroment. working with many colleagues and many customers daily. making for always interesting day
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 2, 2015
fun work place with supportive management. not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
Pros
learn on site and getting paid as long as you are willing, the job can be taught to you.
Cons
long hours, work/life balance was not there.
Very fun place to work, great employees
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONOctober 9, 2015
Fantastic place to work. Some of the best memories were created here. I would definitely recommend working at Loblaw. The employees create the work experience, and Loblaw found a way to filter out potential candidates, thus allowing great employees to work.
Benefits
Awesome!!!Wow!!!!
sales representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto WEST CORP CDecember 17, 2015
Learning something new everyday is my motive.
Treat others with respect and be polite.

For the past 8+ years in the merchandising and marketing business, I have not only improved in positions but have learned to improve my skills everyday and learn new ideas. Working independently and as a team player comes a great part within myself. I like to work in a clean environment and I like to keep it that way.

Meeting new people and interacting with customers to help is the greatest smile I can put on their face and my peers.

A regular customer in a banner store will usually always remember me every time.

The hardest part of any work is attending to work on time for your scheduled shift.

Management and employers is key to the business and we should work together as a team to show competitive banners we are an environment of respect.
Productive /hard labour
Picking/Skid Builder (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONFebruary 18, 2016
Good company to work for if your willing to be full time and for money you can work long hours and not notice the weeks going by you get trained with machinery and lifting a lot of boxes for this company but overall good place to work for full time people willing to working in storage company
Pros
GOOD MONEY
Cons
LONG HOURS
Store Clerk
Store Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 18, 2016
I believe that if you're a student then this job will be valuable because of the flexibility in the scheduling that takes into account post-secondary schedules. This is because it is a unionized position.

However one of the downsides will be the fluctuating hours per week initially and dealing with some questionable store management.
Student job, Monotone work
Photolab Associate (Former Employee) –  VaudreuilSeptember 15, 2015
Lots of physically difficult work, no chance to sit (that's bad for people with back or leg pain). Monotone work with very little possibility of advancement. The salary is extremely low since it's a job anyone can do.
Loblaw has provided me with the challenge of coming into a new setting, working hard to increase their sales and improve their shoppers experience.
Optician/Optical Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SKMay 18, 2016
Whether I am working on my own (as I do over 40 percent of the time) or if I am with a co-worker, I give it my all. I work well individually or in a team setting. I deal with customers each day in a professional, one-on-one basis, educating and helping them make the best choice in their purchase of eyewear. I constantly adapt and change to new product, technology and new employees. I help train them when necessary and assist them regularly. All this is done within the guidelines that Loblaw outlines.

This is my first employment in a "huge" company like Loblaw and do find that you can feel like "just another employee" but I have worked extra hard and therefore become their employee recognized as "employee of the month".
Productive and fun.
Collector (Former Employee) –  11 RedwayMay 3, 2016
Typical day at work would consist of collecting groceries for people and checking off whether we were able to collect all of them or not.

Learned a lot about the differences in brands and how to know which items to correctly pick out by analyzing expiry dates etc.

Co-workers were fantastic, extremely well-mannered and very friendly.

Hardest part if the job was the shortage of staff that resulted in people having to stay for extended shifts and no breaks were utilized (including paid breaks) sometimes due to how busy it was.

Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to communicate with the other divisions with the Loblaw store since we would have to go to each individual sector to get the required groceries.
Pros
Clean store, paid breaks and also the enviornment
Cons
Extended shifts and poor shift management.
Great Place to Work - Great people
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 23, 2016
I had a very positive experience at Loblaw! I felt that I was involved in interesting IT projects and really felt that I connected with my managers. My coworkers were pretty supportive as well. I think the hardest part of the job is all the concurrent projects and uncertain funding. A lot of things that need to be done end up being deferred. The annual IT planning process can be cumbersome and a lot of work especially if your business case or project is not approved.

The cafeteria is awesome, and there is a gym and little concessionary shop within the building. Totally awesome campus with a great vibe!
Pros
Subsidized food, yummy food, cool co-workers
Cons
Unfunded projects
Productive, and helpful staff
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 11, 2016
very hard and cold work environment but excellent at gaining muscles and also good exercise. the electric pallet jack was very enjoyable to drive around the warehouse. The management were very respectful and helpful all around. The hardest part about the job was being able to lift boxes inside the freezer only because it was very cold temperature. My co-workers i got along with good. The most enjoyable part of working there was mostly driving the electric pallet jack.
Pros
Pros: driving electric pallet jack, free fruits at lunch break.
Cons
10 hour shift, working inside the freezer.