Loblaw

Loblaw Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun and fashionable
Customer Service (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 1, 2015
GAP is one of my favorite retail stores, there for I loved working for them. I enjoyed being up to date with the latest trends and getting a first peek of what the new fashion season would be bringing. It was always fun to go into work and see the many different kinds of styles of people that I worked with and expanding my fashion knowledge with them.
office assistant
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 30, 2015
Responsibilities included: setting up departure notes in excel and word, printing and photocopying load and trip sheets, preparing paperwork, data entry, process documents and assisting with management issues.
Productive and fun environment ie Group activities
Transportation Specialist (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: group activities or free lunches
Cons: on occasions we are required to work long hours if there's deadline to meet
During my tenure working at Loblaw, i enjoy working in a team environment as well as independently, i deal with both internal and external customers, one of the things i enjoyed most is the friendly interaction with the customers.
Great Starting Job
Department Manager (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 22, 2015
A great place to work in school and fresh out of school. If you really enjoy customer service you can thrive here. Spent almost 2 years working my way though the ranks and increases based on hours worked. Made management within the two years. Staff and co-workers were wonderful to work with.
I have enjoyed working at Loblaw Companies Ltd.
Executive/ Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Brampton, ONJanuary 21, 2015
It has been a great experience working here at Loblaw Companies Ltd.
Good work environment, low wages
Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee), Moncton, NBJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: fantastic management
Cons: low wages
They are one of the lowest paying companies for pharmacy assistant's/technician's in the profession. The management team is amazing ! Work environment is very good as well !
Typical Day of Work
Cashier (Former Employee), London, ONJanuary 7, 2015
I was a cashier; I would deal with customers and handle cash.
Productive workplace with loads to learn.
Department Team Lead (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: politics within the management
Management is bureaucratic, too much pressure, have to please upper level of management to move up.
A workplace that always challenges you through customer interaction
Photographer/ Electronics Sales Representative (Current Employee), TorontoJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: nice discounts with employee discount card
A typical day at work includes:

-Booting up the printers, self-serve photo development kiosks, and computers
-Taking passport photos for customers
-Opening and closing the Photo Studio
-Assisting customers with developing and picking up their photos
-Taking photos of clients, followed by selecting, editing and printing their photo selections (all ages including babies, kids, adults)
-Helping clients checkout at the cashier both in Photo Studio and Electronics

-Most challenging part of the job-must be dealing with:

a) ensuring quality customer service is given when taking photos of clients, printing and delivering the photos

b)dealing with any unforeseen customer complaints

c) technological complications with the printers or other equipment

-Most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a satisfied customer(s) walking away with their pictures and knowing you helped someone that day.
One of the worst employers
Human Resources (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 31, 2014
Cons: too many to list
Management has two faces. They preach work/life balance, customer service, advancement opportunities, etc but they don't practice it at all. There is no work/life balance. They expect all non union employees to work insane hours and not get paid for it. An example is one manager who worked night shift at a store and his shift was continually short. He had to do union work stocking shelves plus his own job and continually worked 10 to 14 hour days for 6 months when he burned out and quit. I know, because I was in HR and it was no different there either. The upper management also does not believe in coaching. If you are not performing the way they want, they sever your employment. They do not communicate that you are doing anything wrong. That is the Loblaw way.
Nasty, unorganized, thankless place to work for
Cashier (Current Employee), Stratford, ONDecember 19, 2014
Pros: some benefits, discount card
Cons: low pay, not enough hours, too much work with not enough incentive
A typical day consists of standing in one spot scanning and packing groceries.
Management is unorganized and useless.
coworkers are nice for the most part
Hardest part of the job is being overworked for terrible pay.
There isn't an enjoyable part of the job.
Not a place that I would recommend at all.
Dont even think about it
Clerk (Former Employee), HamiltonDecember 14, 2014
Pros: non
Cons: watch your back
A non authentic place to work in, always under the microscope.If you dont conform like a sheep, your life will be made horrific
Work schedule is unpredictable.
To survive, you need to indoctrinate yourself to gossip, back stabbing and dog eat dog mentality,
I started just "doing my job"only to end in psychological war fare .
Good environment for work
Loss prevention representative (Former Employee), Coquitlam, BCDecember 9, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: one store for long hours
8 hours work day
2 breaks
Writing reports
Apprehending individuals engaged in theft activities
Working and Operating CCTV
gOOD TEAM MEMBERS TO WORK WITH
Dealing with stressful incidents at work
Preventing shrink and loss of the product
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 5, 2014
Productive but poor salary.

Good shifts and the human resources manager was excellent.

I learnt how to work in a very fast paced environment because I was always assigned about 4 or 5 isles to stock, I must finish them within a time limit and tidy the place.

My coworkers were good team players because we help each other when needed.

The hardest part of the job was lifting about 60 kg of cartons filled with goods eg bags of rice and baking flowers.
Loblaw
Picker (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONDecember 2, 2014
At first, I really enjoyed the work place. Everyone was polite and respectful to me. I learned how to properly build skids for orders of food and operate a jigger. After a few months, I realized I was losing passion for what I did and it was conflicting with my personal life, in which resulted me to quit in order for me to take care of personal issues.
Good PT working place
Cashier (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 22, 2014
Loblaw is the place for you if you are studing or you are juggling 2 jobs.The schedule is made based on your availability and the management is extremely accomodating.
There are opportunities to advance and also they offer benefits even for part time positions.
Productive and warm environment
Seafood Team Member (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONNovember 16, 2014
It's a warm and productive environment. It's very welcoming and provides new challenges for every employee .
productive, high paced and a fun place to work
Warehouse Assistant (Current Employee), Regina, SKNovember 11, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: low wage for the amount of work
Contacts transport companies and suppliers in order to expedite, trace or return merchandise that does not conform to specifications or purchase orders. create paperwork for receiving of merchandise coming in the warehouse. maintaining records of the inflow.this job has thought me time management being organised and as it is a high paced work place u don't have time to relax which is the hardest part of the job .
Great Company
WAREHOUSE MANAGER (Former Employee), MississaugaNovember 6, 2014
excellent company to work for, great culture and safety habits
Loblaws wants you to be their next slave.
Stocker (Former Employee), BomanvilleNovember 5, 2014
Pros: the guy singing in the aisle all night to p1ss management off.
Cons: being managed by disgustingly controlling and pathetic managers.
If you aren't in 5 minutes before the time you start then management will treat you like eye sore all day. If you aren't working fast enough (even on the first day!) then your job is at risk. If you are to mutter a word to the guy working beside you then you are yelled at by management that watches from upstairs. Overall I liked the job and the people that worked there but as for management I could care less if they all went the way of the dinosaurs. They treat you like garbage and it seems they actually get pleasure out of it and only once you are past 3 months do things start to ease up but that is if you can even make it to the 3rd month and even then you will still hate working there. And one more thing that came to my surprise at the end of the meeting in which I was fired, everyone that I was hired with was all fired that week... The turn over rate is ridiculous and it won't change until they understand respect isn't earned by pressure and control especially in a country like ours! This job is only for Sheep slaves that do as they are told so unless you like being a conforming slave this job isn't for you though I am sure some loblaws out there are quite descent places to work at.

About Loblaw

Loblaw Companies Limited is the largest food retailer in Canada, with over 1,400 supermarkets operating under a variety of regional – Read more