Loblaw Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,039 reviews matching the search
It was a great place to work, lots of amazing and talented people who worked there.
Unloader (Former Employee) –  Pitt Meadows, BCAugust 3, 2016
It was a good place to work, I enjoyed it. Hardest part of the job is just being on your feet all day. you're not allowed to sit down at all. If you sit down, you get fired.
Pros
Free Tim Hortons
Professional friendly environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 3, 2016
As an intern, I enjoyed having a chance to complete a pharmacist daily duties under direct supervision of an experienced pharmacist.
Fun yet challenging work environment
Store Set-Up – Refurb Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 1, 2016
You learn allot travelling to setup different stores under the Loblaw banner. For the most part the people you work with are fun and the work itself is challenging.
Loblaws Nightshift shipper receiver baker operator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ONJuly 31, 2016
Loblaws has always been behind me even after today being retired. I was between life and death back in the 1990's and I had full cooperation and support from them I will never forget how they stood beside me and my family!!
Pros
Benefits, and bonuses and support
Cons
Employee redderick
Cashier at Loblaws
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJuly 28, 2016
Typical day at Loblaws would be cashing out customers and bag their groceries. I learned how to multi-task, and engage in small talk with customers. My co-workers are great, they respect me and they treat me very kindly. There is no hard part to the job, however it is difficult when you first start since it's your first time and may occasionally mess up on orders the first few shifts. After that, the job gets easier. Even though the job does get easier, it's not very enjoyable and sometimes my legs are in pain for standing for so long. It is a good place to work however it does get boring really quickly after working for 4 months.
Pros
Half-hour lunches, discounts to Goodlife Fitness
Cons
Legs end up hurting after standing for a long period of time
Awesome company to work for! Everyone was like a big family and I met many of my friends at the job. Loved my boss too, she was amazing!
Sales Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Yorkton, SKJuly 23, 2016
Awesome place to work! Was like one big family, and the work was nice too. Met so many people there, and got lots of work experience. Would definitely consider working for Loblaws again one day.
Pros
Free food upstairs in the break room!
Cons
Found myself working alone in the evening lots
Loblaws
Night Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 22, 2016
a lot of managemet level uncertainty and easy to hold position as stocker level. with decent benefits that take effect after months
Beware of vanier loblaws
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vanier, ONJuly 19, 2016
Fromt end manager is extremely disrespectful to her staff and the working environment is very hostile due to employers drama!! do not work here!!
Pros
Staff 10% discount
Cons
Bad hours, rude staff, disrespectful management
great benefits to part-time staff
SALES CLERK (Current Employee) –  Midland, ONJuly 16, 2016
work closely with mid-level management as well as upper management, allows you to easily know your co-workers. management is well informed if you have any questions. Always staff near-by if you need help.
Tough Job
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKJuly 13, 2016
This corporations philosophy is absolutely disgusting. The only thing they judge you off is performance, and if that isn't up to par meaning 90% and as FAST and exhausting as you can get they will let you go. Supervisors favour other employees over others. Also, If you just started here, make sure you don't get injured. When I hurt my arm they put me in the freezer for 5 consecutive days and I had no say. They give you freezer gear but let me tell you when your just sweeping an ice cold floor, your cold. Then my arm felt better and I got off lighter duties.. However I felt like the job wasn't for me.. Was told firmly I could work two weeks before quitting and my first official day back they terminated me. Now they got no claim to worry about. Great job loblaw! Do not work here if you want to get treated like a number instead of a person.
Pros
Good Pay, Unionized, Very nice fellow colleagues
Cons
Long hours, managers are shady, unsanitary conditions
Great work life balnce
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJuly 12, 2016
Great place to start your career, good exposure to higher level management. There is a lot of young employees that make the environment more competitive and productive
Good Job Provider
Inventory Control Analyst/ Receiver (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 11, 2016
This company will can employ virtually anyone. Each store has needs for a diverse work force and everyone's skills can be an asset.
Forward looking business model to maintain industry edge
Data Storage Systems and Solution Analyst (Current Employee) –  Brampton , ONJuly 9, 2016
Moderate work environment, leading Canadian retail organisation with businesses focused on grocery, gas bars, health care and support.

Financial institution data management and support.
Pros
Colleague discount program available for items on promotion
Cons
Jobs Outsourcing
It was a great experience
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  North York, ONJuly 9, 2016
I was living close by and it was a great experience. My manager was great and I was working with cakes so it was awesome!
The hardest part was closing because of the cleaning.
Pros
Discount card and free parking
3 hours of fun
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJuly 8, 2016
I've worked at Loblaw's for pharmacy co-op. Sort medication, stocked medication and counted medication. This what I did for the majority of the days . I learned to be precise and fast, and to keep the costumers happy. The hardest part of the job was finding where to stock the medications
Pros
Passed the class
Cons
repetitive
Overall OK Work Experience
HMR Clerk (Current Employee) –  Nepean, ONJuly 8, 2016
Since I am currently a student, working at Loblaws has been a great first job! Though there have been some issues with scheduling due to lack of staff, my manager has been able to accommodate to my constantly busy schedule! Though lots of heavy lifting and standing, one gets used to it after some time.
well the day would always be filled with something to do always no shortage of that but employees another question
Houseware Assistant (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCJuly 7, 2016
i always got paid in acordance to the rules and always asked to work another shift .very busy store all day housewares is the second bigest department.
good place to work
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKJuly 7, 2016
a very good place to work , excellent benefits , everyone is treated equally . good pay , amazing facility a very motivated team in management
It sucks
None (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABJuly 6, 2016
Do NOT work for this company. I was there 10 years and now that I'm gone i regret every day I was there. STAY AWAY Management sucks
Pros
Cons
TONS
Decent student job & Life Balance is atrocious
Stock Person (Current Employee) –  London, ONJuly 2, 2016
Im a student, whose worked at loblaws for 5 years, since highschool. It's a decent job to have as a student whether your in highschool or college; I wouldn't say university though. It's good money to save for school/daily expenses. However, you bust your balls for every dollar you make. I would say this job is above average in terms of physical labour, depending on your department. I worked in the dry foods. The scheduling and hours/life balance at Loblaws is absolutely beyond atrocious. Like it's literally beyond atrocious.

When your new, they tarnish you with a unreal load of hours and/or give you brutal shifts (2:30-11 back to back shifts, constant back to back 8 hour shifts, a 8 hour closing shift then a 8 hour opening shift the day after; even though there should be a 10 hour time difference in between shifts. The store i worked at didn't give a flying f...). I would give my availability of when I can work depending on my school schedule, and i would say about half the time ive been at this company for the last 5 years, every 2-3 weeks the manager would book me a shift that wasn't according to my availability. And the scary thing is, i'd get called out for not being able to work the shift or get complained at by the manager himself even though i specifically left an availability note saying i can not work that certain day.

At this company or well atleast at the store i worked at, you have to show them you work hard in order to get a mutual respect and build relationships from that point on from management/supervisors. However, no matter how hard you work and appreciated
  more... you are, you still ultimately get bent over with the scheduling no matter your seniority. It's a lose-lose situation, if they like you as a worker, they'll try to do everything add more hours and shifts to your life and then complaining back to you if you talk to them about the unwanted shifts.

At the end of the day, it's a good job for a student to make some extra side money for spending, but you must be ready to give up 70% of your social life for two simple reasons: 1 - no energy after an 8 hour shift to do anything, 2- if you act soft towards management/supervisors they'll take advantage of you and pump you with disgusting shifts and a crazy load of hours. I constantly had random people come up to me during work hours telling me how they use to work for this company but quit later on due to having no life outside of work due to the hours/types of shifts given at an unconcious rate.
Pros
decent student job
Cons
shift times, hours, scheduling, disgusting work life balance