Loblaw Employee Reviews

Found 1,209 reviews matching the search
Decreased dept hours, Over worked. Depressing place to work!
Butcher/Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS24 January 2017
Its easy to see all the employees are over worked because their department man hours have decreased!

Department manager was inexperienced and took out his stress on his employees by using foul language constantly. I started my shift I was their for 15 minutes when the Department told me to F_-Off for know reason, I walked out of the department and filed a complaint with the store manager which was a waste of time!

I was under paid and extremely over worked!!
Pros
Employee's
Cons
Managers, Pay, Hours.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Wasaga Beach, ON27 January 2017
I now work for The Real Canadian Superstore in Wasaga Beach. I think I was very lucky to get this job.
There is a great attitude in this store. Everyone I have met thus far are very friendly and helpful.
I like the benefits i will get once I am past my probationary period.
It's hard to tell who management are in our store, they don't make a big deal of it, and work just as hard as the rest of us.
I love the contact with our customers, and have a great time helping them both spend, and save money.
I have nothing but positive things to say about them, and hope that one of you will be as lucky as I am.
The hardest part, well I haven't found a hard part yet.
Pros
Benefits, employee discount card, free stuff
Alright place to work...
Picker Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON13 February 2017
I feel like Loblaws isn't the greatest place to work. They overwork you and don't pay you any respect.

You can get lots of hours sometimes but other times it can be completely dead and you get sent home early.

The hardest part of the job is keeping up to standards while stacking all of the products you pick onto the skids perfectly.

There is no really enjoyable part of the job honestly. I found it enjoyable when I thought of the job as working out.
Pros
Feels like a workout
Cons
difficult work and terrible management
many opportunities
management (Former Employee) –  Innisfail, AB19 January 2017
in the management position I was in bakery as well as produce over the years.
There was always paperwork to do, customer service, product presentation, rotation, and ordering. There was a constant stream of tasks on a daily basis, and staff to train, and work with, Being a team player was a big part of the job. Always having school age employees one always needed to guide them along. There was sales projections to do displays to build, and many hours of work.
I enjoyed all challenges given to me, Micromanaging was a big part of my work that I enjoyed a great deal.
Management was the difficult part of my career, communication was a big downfall.
Pros
challenges
Cons
management
Each day productive/challenging
Project and Budget Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 January 2017
At Loblaws, everyday was challenging! Removed roadblocks, generated multiple financial reports which included forecasting, budgeting, working with Finance team to ensure $18 million was being spent as per forecast, coordinating meetings between Sr. Managers and Sr. Directors and/or between Sr. Managers and multiple mangers of different vendors. Cost analysis of additional work, tracking change requests and work intakes, also working closely with PMO (Project Management Office).
Pros
Town Halls, free products during launch of new products
Great work experience, enjoyable workplace
Clothing department sales associate (Current Employee) –  Steinbach, MB13 February 2017
I enjoy working as a sales associate/cashier at Superstore for Loblaw. I have learned great customer service skills as well as task/ time management. My organizational and communication skills have also been exercised efficiently, I have learned to work independently as well as a team with my coworkers.
Pros
Great coworkers and management.
Cons
Shortage of scheduled working hours.
fun work place with good team
Bagger/carts (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 January 2017
Typical day:
-punch in
-look over days work orders
-make sure shop is clean and safe
-start first job
-clean shop at the end of the day
- punch out

Loved the people i was working with, high energy, light harted people overall a great team to work with.
The hardest part of the job was keeping up with a very tight scedule, if there was a mistake it would throw off your time. this taught me to be quick but careful with work. the easiest way to combat is was geet it right the first time, which i prided my self on.
For me the most enjoyable part of the job was the high pressure, fassted paced working enviroment. When im focused on my job the time flyes by and i enjoy the job much more.
Pros
free oil changes and tire swaps when the shop was slow
Cons
Hour long lunches
Friendly and helpful staff that look out for eachother.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON21 December 2016
Many days could feel quite boring as you spend a lot of time standing without many customers. All of my coworkers were super friendly and kind hearted and always helped me if I had to take off a shift. Management can be difficult but if you are reasonable and respectful they will be too. The hardest part of the job are the long days but the job can be fun too, especially when working with the customers. This job will show you how important patience is and will teach you to deal with difficult customers while keeping a friendly and polite demeanor.
Overall experience
Department manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 January 2017
I prefer not to say much. That by itself should convey my assessment of the company. Most of what I learnt was self taught and perhaps that was the best part of the job. The biggest lesson learnt was how preparation and pre assessment of new projects can help save a company valuable time and precious reputation. If processes are not in place, day to day operations become a fire fighting exercise.
Very Dynamic fastpaced organization
Director (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 January 2017
Loblaw is a very fast paced dynamic organization. Organization is investing a lot on technology, people and processes. Management is progressive.Number of current initiatives that are currently under way will improve work life Balance in the future.
Pros
Good cheap food.dynamic technology driven environment
Cons
Location is west end. Any one travelling from East End will have it tough.
Worked for company for over 13+ years. After I got capped out n wage was targetted with fake complaints. I am now terminated.
Front end (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC24 February 2017
Think the store needs management overhauling. This store needs to show staff they are appreciated. Staff needs to be held accountable for their lack of job completion in their deptmt. Management needs to lead by example (ie scanning discount card on orders when on shift. Not allowed for other staff).
A positive environment to work in.
produce clerk (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS8 December 2016
The workplace environment could be enjoyable because of my co-workers. I learned the need to clear communication, cooperation,
and a sense of humor. The hardest part of the job was some of the technological advances required and adjustment to constant change.
The most enjoyable part of the job was repeat customers who appreciated your custormer service. I was fortunate to have personable managers who cared about their staff.
Pros
Regular pay increases and holiday pay.
Cons
Difficult to advance
About me an work
Customer service / cashier (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC30 November 2016
I am currently working at customer service as well as cashier price checker self check out attendant an sometimes supervising. I do enjoy my job yet have come to the point where I want weekends off with my family. I'm looking for something Wednesday Thursday an Friday.
Hardest part is the hours. So in January I will be working Monday an Tuesday. I feel like my hard work is at times over looked. I have only missed 2 days in 16 years an I have never been late.
I am hoping to find something to fill my days an to keep myself busy. I do enjoy the public yet also work very well alone.
Pros
People I work with are fun an I enjoy the customers
Cons
Work hours all over the place no balance in life
Productive and good management
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK20 November 2016
lifting goods and organizing good and operates forklift and other machines is a typical day at work, lifting heavy goods is quiet tiring but time passes so quickly that you couldn't notice that the working hours was ended because of good relationship with co-worker and because of teamwork that makes the job enjoyable. The benefits is good and the management has considerations.
Pros
free snacks if zero accident in a month
good benifits, lower wages, indifferent managment
AZ Driver (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON7 February 2017
good local runs, Windsor to Sudbury. High kilometer equipment, you have to do a thorough pre trip. company seems to be anti-union from corporate but on site management is ok. Indifferent bordering on incompetent dispatch is very frustrating, but there is no set route to get to your destination
Pros
freedom of routing
Cons
silly management
Garbage
Assistant store manager (Former Employee) –  Bayview Village, ON27 November 2016
I was working night crew and always expecting more with less paid, benefits are garbage for part time.managers are ok, supervisors and high rank bosses not even good morning. Human resource should be doing something about LOBLAWS. I I had the power will put then out of Bussines. I finally find the place to put a review and hopping people listen and stop working for them, make them rich,WHY? They don't care about you missing New Years with your kids, only about you working like mad man. Hope people can hear me out Loblaws is not what they think it is.it is not the only job you are goin to find in your life. Today I am working at a better place far from junior and his clan
Pros
Employees are good people but scare of losing job
Cons
Bad company to work, won't recommend even if is the only one out there
Don't expect to survive past probation
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Vanier, ON13 January 2017
A few of my friends were laid off from the Loblaws in Vanier a few days before the end of probation with no valid reason. One in particular never even met the manager that called him to give him the news. I know so many other companies that does this as well, all this to say it is not fair. Do not trust overnight stock managers.
Awful
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario10 November 2016
Once in management your salary is not increased for at least one year with no benefits. So I was making slightly more than a cashier but managing a department with increased workload and responsibility. Made to feel unappreciated as I was told I could be replaced at any time and I should appreciate the opportunity afforded me .Management is unapproachable and distant with no negotiations. Expected to work extra hours with no extra pay.
Pros
Likable coworkers
Cons
Long hours for little pay
Friendly and fun enviroment
Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC22 February 2017
I've spent just over six months at Loblaw Pharmacy. I started off as a cashier but didn't stay in that position long. At the Loblaw Pharmacy there is a lot of room to grow. Within my six month stay i have advanced three positions with positive encouragement from my colleagues.
Pros
Easy to get time off requests
Cons
Not enough employees
Great Breath of Assortments
Associate Merchant (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON31 January 2017
-fast paced
-majority of job's tasks are critical
-tight timelines
-need to hit sales, budget, ntgp, etc.
-enjoy seeing great sales results when programs are executed, and stores are really behind the programs
-we have an amazing culture where we really value what fellow peers have as input
Pros
Lots of roles within the organization