Loblaw Employee Reviews

Found 1,249 reviews matching the search
Not impressed with this company
FT Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 March 2017
Poor Management.
Pay compensation is extremely low for the job functions in some departments.
Poor safety culture
People with strong skills not recognized and given the opportunities for advancement in a reasonable time frame.
Loblaw's gave me the skills needed to work in a professional setting
florist/cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 March 2017
I worked an average of 15 hours a week for nine months at Loblaw’s Supermarket Company as a florist/cashier. My job required me to attend to the plants both inside and out while also acting as a cashier. I was trained to answer inquiries regarding orders and shipments of product in my department. During the summer I often was in charge of opening and preparing for the day. While working here I learned excellent verbal and written communication skills when talking to both costumers and co-workers.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Interfered with my education at such a young age
Well Managed, Accommodating, Fun Place to Work
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON21 March 2017
Working at Loblaws helped me hone many skills. Because of my position as a cashier I learned much about working people people and products. I worked under excellent management who always made their employs feel comfortable and treated fairly. It was a fun, well organized environment.
Sad Place To work
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Pitt Meadows, BC21 March 2017
I worked in the warehouse for close to 10 years, got injured on the job, and was fired,, union did nothing. Supervisors intimidate workers with the approval of management.
Pros
Fellow Employees
Cons
Supervisors
Fast paced and results-driven, open concept work environment
Senior Category Manager/Director (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON20 March 2017
Great people. Little succession planning in place to assist individuals in advancement. Inefficient and cumbersome promotional planning tools. Work is being done to improve overall work culture.
Pros
Excellent food
Cons
Lack of meeting rooms or privacy due to open lay-out
fun place to be
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 March 2017
worked there a while, it was a great job but i had to move on
management are great, you need to be on your foot all day but I like it, that way time flew by for me, it's not for everyone but it's a great place to work though
Have a good Benefits and Salary
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK19 March 2017
Working in Loblaw makes you more aware of working safe because management always makes you aware of all necessary things to work safely. They also make some interactions activities that involves different nationalities that creates good relationships and respect in work place and that makes you enjoy working.
Pros
Performance and Days without Injury Incentives
Pleasant workplace..
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON19 March 2017
Lob law's Superstore was a pleasurable work environment that was team oriented and friendly. Staff and management were efficient and highly concerned with the welfare of the store.
Pros
Team oriented
Cons
Long standing hours
Peacful Environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 March 2017
Working at Superstore is amazing. All colleagues are very co-operative. This place having peaceful environment. I just love it. All team members along with manager and supervisors work as family.
Pros
free food
Cons
nothing
cashier
Cashier, Cash Office, U scan Attendant. (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC16 March 2017
i was a cashier at ss for almost 2 years, although the colleagues were fine for most of the time. the front end supervisor. sat me and my boss down across from each other and accused us of something very not okay. there for, i left because it's high school drama there.
Worst Place to work
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 March 2017
I was a bakery clerk for 4 years at a Loblaw store in Toronto. I was in school during that time. The work environment was every toxic. The management was abusive. As part-time employee, I started off getting decent hours. Until I was only getting 10 or even 5 hours a week. On one occasion, I had to attend an event for the agency I was doing my school placement with, on a Saturday and wouldn't be able to come in for my Sunday shift. I always started at 6:00am every weekend. Baking muffins and donuts from scratch. So when I told the store manager I needed the time off, I was told " You sighed a contract with Loblaws and we come first Before your school" I was shocked and disgusted. This was a stupid part-time job. I was paying tuition and extra for books. So in June, decided enough wad enough. I quit. The best decision I ever made. Work for this company affected my mental health.
Pros
Cons
Not enough hours. Abusive management!
Horrific, ethically questionable company
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL16 March 2017
This company has some serious ethics issues. You are just a number on their payroll to them and not a human. I worked there for 3 years but even lifetime workers (there for 20+ years) had similar feelings about the company. It is unionized which at first glance is a positive attribute until you spend some time in the company and realize most of the union representatives just do it for their own job security and not to actually represent the rights/needs of the workers. Furthermore, the quality of work you produce at Loblaw is not ever acknowledged (good or bad) unless an inconsistency happens- i.e: if a good worker has a bad day/makes a mistake they are reprimanded for it; however, a consistently terrible employee has nothing said to them. The only thing this company looks for as far as your "worth" to them is how long you've been with them. Therefore, people are promoted/hired into management positions with little to no management skills just because they have been with the company for 10 years. Most have no management training and have just "worked their way up" through the company. You know a company is awful when people who have worked there their entire lives ALL have the same advice to you when you start "get out while you still can". Horrific.
The people at loblaws are great to work with but since the new year every part time workers hours have been cut which is unsustainable.
Part-time employment (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 March 2017
Loblaws is a good store to work at with a lot of great people, most of the people I work with in every department are friendly which is great. Before the new year I was working about 18-25 hours a week (have worked a 31 hour week twice). Since the new year loblaws has entered what they call the "slow months" and everyone's hours have been cut in some way, every part time worker in my department is working less than 16 hours a week which is just not sustainable for the majority or the part time workers.
Pros
The people I work with
Cons
Not enough hours each week
Fun
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Gander, NL14 March 2017
Great place to work. Lots of fun and caring people to work with, very tiring work place but still enjoyable. Friendly and very understanding staff to work with.
productive and fun
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 March 2017
gained good an bad experience when i deal with customers . customers are right always . no appreciation from the management , when its busy time go fast.
Seafood
Seafood Clerk (Former Employee) –  11 redway12 March 2017
Everyday at loblaws I was on time getting my job done, I had to serve customers, clean up , wash the dishes , cut the fish and also I would do inventory
Pros
Half an hour breaks
Loblaw's Companies
Senior Director (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 March 2017
Not a bad place to work now , there was a period of time where they totally lost focus and faith in people and did not treat people who built their business with the respect they deserved. The have since transformed and are doing a better job in the industry competing for top level retail talent.
First job
Caissière, (Former Employee) –  Lasalle (30)10 March 2017
Lobalws was my first job, I was 15 years old at the time. It was very exciting for me to work for my own money. If you're young still in high school, I would recommend starting in a grocery store. Hours are flexible and they're used to hire people who it's their first job.
Pros
Make new friends
fun workplace, mislead on hours
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC10 March 2017
i love the job here, except i only get 4 hours a week.. i asked for more hours, havent received them and they keep hiring new people. everyone who works here is amazing though, very nice environment.
Pros
sometimes free food
Cons
not enough hours
Good
Part-time Staff Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 March 2017
Overall it was a good experience working for this organization. I would work here again if given the chance. Loblaw is a good company and has good benefits/pay.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Loblaw. Our community is ready to answer.