Loblaw Employee Reviews

Found 1,249 reviews matching the search
Very fast and fun working environment
Pharmacy Assistant Student (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC2 March 2017
Working in this place has been like my training ground. I learned a lot of things. Staffs here are very approachable, never hesitated to teach you new additional stuffs. They are very patient to me. I also observed that they really can handle customers under pressure very well. Well, I may have a hard time understanding how the customer's third party benefits work, but I know just more practices, then everything will surely be clear to me. I really enjoy packaging, labelling, doing the dispensing and blister packing.
Pros
good working environment
Cons
very fast pace
The people at loblaws are great to work with but since the new year every part time workers hours have been cut which is unsustainable.
Part-time employment (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 March 2017
Loblaws is a good store to work at with a lot of great people, most of the people I work with in every department are friendly which is great. Before the new year I was working about 18-25 hours a week (have worked a 31 hour week twice). Since the new year loblaws has entered what they call the "slow months" and everyone's hours have been cut in some way, every part time worker in my department is working less than 16 hours a week which is just not sustainable for the majority or the part time workers.
Pros
The people I work with
Cons
Not enough hours each week
Loblaw's gave me the skills needed to work in a professional setting
florist/cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 March 2017
I worked an average of 15 hours a week for nine months at Loblaw’s Supermarket Company as a florist/cashier. My job required me to attend to the plants both inside and out while also acting as a cashier. I was trained to answer inquiries regarding orders and shipments of product in my department. During the summer I often was in charge of opening and preparing for the day. While working here I learned excellent verbal and written communication skills when talking to both costumers and co-workers.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Interfered with my education at such a young age
Alright place to work...
Picker Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON13 February 2017
I feel like Loblaws isn't the greatest place to work. They overwork you and don't pay you any respect.

You can get lots of hours sometimes but other times it can be completely dead and you get sent home early.

The hardest part of the job is keeping up to standards while stacking all of the products you pick onto the skids perfectly.

There is no really enjoyable part of the job honestly. I found it enjoyable when I thought of the job as working out.
Pros
Feels like a workout
Cons
difficult work and terrible management
Great work experience, enjoyable workplace
Clothing department sales associate (Current Employee) –  Steinbach, MB13 February 2017
I enjoy working as a sales associate/cashier at Superstore for Loblaw. I have learned great customer service skills as well as task/ time management. My organizational and communication skills have also been exercised efficiently, I have learned to work independently as well as a team with my coworkers.
Pros
Great coworkers and management.
Cons
Shortage of scheduled working hours.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Wasaga Beach, ON27 January 2017
I now work for The Real Canadian Superstore in Wasaga Beach. I think I was very lucky to get this job.
There is a great attitude in this store. Everyone I have met thus far are very friendly and helpful.
I like the benefits i will get once I am past my probationary period.
It's hard to tell who management are in our store, they don't make a big deal of it, and work just as hard as the rest of us.
I love the contact with our customers, and have a great time helping them both spend, and save money.
I have nothing but positive things to say about them, and hope that one of you will be as lucky as I am.
The hardest part, well I haven't found a hard part yet.
Pros
Benefits, employee discount card, free stuff
Decreased dept hours, Over worked. Depressing place to work!
Butcher/Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS24 January 2017
Its easy to see all the employees are over worked because their department man hours have decreased!

Department manager was inexperienced and took out his stress on his employees by using foul language constantly. I started my shift I was their for 15 minutes when the Department told me to F_-Off for know reason, I walked out of the department and filed a complaint with the store manager which was a waste of time!

I was under paid and extremely over worked!!
Pros
Employee's
Cons
Managers, Pay, Hours.
many opportunities
management (Former Employee) –  Innisfail, AB19 January 2017
in the management position I was in bakery as well as produce over the years.
There was always paperwork to do, customer service, product presentation, rotation, and ordering. There was a constant stream of tasks on a daily basis, and staff to train, and work with, Being a team player was a big part of the job. Always having school age employees one always needed to guide them along. There was sales projections to do displays to build, and many hours of work.
I enjoyed all challenges given to me, Micromanaging was a big part of my work that I enjoyed a great deal.
Management was the difficult part of my career, communication was a big downfall.
Pros
challenges
Cons
management
Each day productive/challenging
Project and Budget Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 January 2017
At Loblaws, everyday was challenging! Removed roadblocks, generated multiple financial reports which included forecasting, budgeting, working with Finance team to ensure $18 million was being spent as per forecast, coordinating meetings between Sr. Managers and Sr. Directors and/or between Sr. Managers and multiple mangers of different vendors. Cost analysis of additional work, tracking change requests and work intakes, also working closely with PMO (Project Management Office).
Pros
Town Halls, free products during launch of new products
Positive work environment. Good salary and benefits
Registered Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON2 March 2017
Very busy. Working with a diverse population which is great. The health benefits are excellent. I learned a lot they always provide continuing education. The hardest part is not having enough staff . The enjoyable part is having a great relationship with colleagues.
Pros
Benefits Pension Company shares
Cons
Terrible shift times no work life balance
Worked for company for over 13+ years. After I got capped out n wage was targetted with fake complaints. I am now terminated.
Front end (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC24 February 2017
Think the store needs management overhauling. This store needs to show staff they are appreciated. Staff needs to be held accountable for their lack of job completion in their deptmt. Management needs to lead by example (ie scanning discount card on orders when on shift. Not allowed for other staff).
fun work place with good team
Bagger/carts (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 January 2017
Typical day:
-punch in
-look over days work orders
-make sure shop is clean and safe
-start first job
-clean shop at the end of the day
- punch out

Loved the people i was working with, high energy, light harted people overall a great team to work with.
The hardest part of the job was keeping up with a very tight scedule, if there was a mistake it would throw off your time. this taught me to be quick but careful with work. the easiest way to combat is was geet it right the first time, which i prided my self on.
For me the most enjoyable part of the job was the high pressure, fassted paced working enviroment. When im focused on my job the time flyes by and i enjoy the job much more.
Pros
free oil changes and tire swaps when the shop was slow
Cons
Hour long lunches
Overall experience
Department manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 January 2017
I prefer not to say much. That by itself should convey my assessment of the company. Most of what I learnt was self taught and perhaps that was the best part of the job. The biggest lesson learnt was how preparation and pre assessment of new projects can help save a company valuable time and precious reputation. If processes are not in place, day to day operations become a fire fighting exercise.
fun place to work
Grocery Clerk / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 March 2017
The staff were fun to work with and very helpfull to new employees.
I had never worked in retail before, it was a good experience. I learnt how to read design plans, and set up desplays in the store. I also was taught how to use a palate trolly.
Over all my experience at Loblaws was a good one, I learnt that retail is not the feild I wish to work in.
Pros
getting to open new stock
Cons
setting up desplays
Have a good Benefits and Salary
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK19 March 2017
Working in Loblaw makes you more aware of working safe because management always makes you aware of all necessary things to work safely. They also make some interactions activities that involves different nationalities that creates good relationships and respect in work place and that makes you enjoy working.
Pros
Performance and Days without Injury Incentives
Very Dynamic fastpaced organization
Director (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 January 2017
Loblaw is a very fast paced dynamic organization. Organization is investing a lot on technology, people and processes. Management is progressive.Number of current initiatives that are currently under way will improve work life Balance in the future.
Pros
Good cheap food.dynamic technology driven environment
Cons
Location is west end. Any one travelling from East End will have it tough.
Some great co-workers
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Shawnessy, AB9 March 2017
Can be a fun place to work but the unstable hours makes it impossible to make a living. A second job is needed to survive. They will sometimes offer extra work and so.e even get extra training such as power jack training. They always have lots of hours over Christmas but then slowly cut hours back. I now have 1 shift per week. Can't feed my Son on that
Pros
10% discount on groceries
Cons
No hours
Friendly and helpful staff that look out for eachother.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON21 December 2016
Many days could feel quite boring as you spend a lot of time standing without many customers. All of my coworkers were super friendly and kind hearted and always helped me if I had to take off a shift. Management can be difficult but if you are reasonable and respectful they will be too. The hardest part of the job are the long days but the job can be fun too, especially when working with the customers. This job will show you how important patience is and will teach you to deal with difficult customers while keeping a friendly and polite demeanor.
Terrible !
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 March 2017
This company breaks every single labour law , violates every Human right and HR is no help . In appropriate behaviours everyday. Low morale . BRUTAL !
Pros
Benefits, once in a while you can find a good co worker, good deals on products .
Cons
Long hours, impossible expectations, harassment, No support from HR, Every man for themselves, No compassion for people with disabilities .
good benifits, lower wages, indifferent managment
AZ Driver (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON7 February 2017
good local runs, Windsor to Sudbury. High kilometer equipment, you have to do a thorough pre trip. company seems to be anti-union from corporate but on site management is ok. Indifferent bordering on incompetent dispatch is very frustrating, but there is no set route to get to your destination
Pros
freedom of routing
Cons
silly management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Loblaw. Our community is ready to answer.