Loblaw Employee Reviews

Found 1,127 reviews matching the search
Lots of good memories about this job.
Assistant Grocery Department Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, AB13 November 2016
The work was much more physically strenuous than my current job, but by the same token duties were much clearer and, indeed, the accomplishment of duties was also much more clearly appreciated. Advancement was never guaranteed, but chances were that you would only lose your job if you were doing an explicitly poor job with relation to expectations. Expectations were different depending on the age and health of specific staffers as far as job security goes, but not very different when it came to the consideration of advancement. Those who did the most and understood the most were the ones who were promoted.

Wages went up at set intervals as part of the union structure, but separate from that wages also went up with respect to promotions. Good work could equate to a sooner raise in a very literal sense, granting some limitations unfortunately in place due to union negotiations. Benefits included health coverage as well as a 10% employee discount after six months on the job.
Pros
Excellent management, clear sense of expectations and purpose.
Garbage
Assistant store manager (Former Employee) –  Bayview Village, ON27 November 2016
I was working night crew and always expecting more with less paid, benefits are garbage for part time.managers are ok, supervisors and high rank bosses not even good morning. Human resource should be doing something about LOBLAWS. I I had the power will put then out of Bussines. I finally find the place to put a review and hopping people listen and stop working for them, make them rich,WHY? They don't care about you missing New Years with your kids, only about you working like mad man. Hope people can hear me out Loblaws is not what they think it is.it is not the only job you are goin to find in your life. Today I am working at a better place far from junior and his clan
Pros
Employees are good people but scare of losing job
Cons
Bad company to work, won't recommend even if is the only one out there
Awful
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario10 November 2016
Once in management your salary is not increased for at least one year with no benefits. So I was making slightly more than a cashier but managing a department with increased workload and responsibility. Made to feel unappreciated as I was told I could be replaced at any time and I should appreciate the opportunity afforded me .Management is unapproachable and distant with no negotiations. Expected to work extra hours with no extra pay.
Pros
Likable coworkers
Cons
Long hours for little pay
Challenging retail environment.
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 August 2016
Shift work up to 24-hours PT per week. No full-time (40-hour weeks).

Physically and emotionally demanding dealing with the general public.

Skills learned - dealing with the public.

Management is standard. Some good managers, some not so much. Frequent management and staff turnover.

Shifts ranged from 4 to 8 hours. Pay was low. Benefits were minimal for PT employees.

As in any retail environment, co-workers ranged from good to poor.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Low pay, PT work, no real career advancement.
Merchant (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 November 2016
Overall the Loblaw's office is great place to work. They treat their employees well and offer advancement opportunities. Benefits are great which include 100% coverage on medication at Loblaw pharmacies. 50% off glasses on top of what is provided on benefits.
Culture at the top is still an "old boys club' mentality.
Pros
benefits, stock options
Cons
long hours expected, still an old boys club at the top
Fast pace environment, friendly staff and Customers.
Cashier, Front End Supervisor, Trainer (Former Employee) –  Isabella, MB12 September 2016
Loblaw Great Foods Isabella location is a face pace environment, took on many different positions, co-workers are the best people I have worked with. I had the best managers and mentors. Loblaw over all has been the greatest job I have ever had so far.
Pros
Amazing opportunities to move up in company, it's union, benifits
Cons
You don't get extra or raise when moving up in company and wage increase goes based on hours worked.
Productive and good management
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK20 November 2016
lifting goods and organizing good and operates forklift and other machines is a typical day at work, lifting heavy goods is quiet tiring but time passes so quickly that you couldn't notice that the working hours was ended because of good relationship with co-worker and because of teamwork that makes the job enjoyable. The benefits is good and the management has considerations.
Pros
free snacks if zero accident in a month
garden center is a fun place to work
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON1 June 2016
A typical day at work would be asking management what task to start off with and continues do to each task after each one is done.

What I learned is patience with customers in upsetting situations and how to deal with the matter.

Management works with me most of the time to help me focus on what needs to be done and how it will be done.

Co-workers are friendly and always helpful.

Hardest part of the job is managing an irate customer who argues your aid on the problem your dealing with.

Most enjoyable part of the job is working with a pleased customer who trusts your aid.
Pros
free lunches sometimes
Cons
slow salary raises
Busy Bees sweet taste buds
Bakery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 November 2016
Early morning riser.
Prep all variety of breads buns pies all the goodies.
Place in warmers to raise the doe and pop in the ovens for the sweet smell of various berries that are AHH so good.
Cleanliness is top priority when dealing with food. Personal
Not being able to taste some of the completed pastries is really hard to resist.
Pros
Dealing with customers
Cons
No tasting
Reaching quota or percentage within a supportive management
Order Assembler (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 December 2016
Preparing stocks from different supermarkets and hit the target quota for your performance. Management is very supportive for every new colleague. My co-workers are supportive as well. The hardest part of the job is that I need to hit the target quota/volume percentage every day.
Pros
Free Benefits
Cons
Reaching quota
Excellent Company
Supply Chain Analyst (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON10 September 2016
Company is always looking to new innovations. They operate with the employee and the company's best interest. It is a large company so there are great opportunities though there is also large competition for these positions. Company runs with strict moral and social conduct.
Pros
Benefits / dress down fridays / stock options
Cons
large company / opportunities have great competition
Super cool team at the store that I work.
Perpetual Inventory Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 August 2016
The team at my store is awesome. It feels like family there.

The management team is cool too, quite approachable and very hands on in the management of the store.

The salary is low however. If you are just starting with the company you only get paid minimum wage.
Pros
10% discount card after 6 months
Cons
sometimes they cut hours. You have to have a back up job.
Bad work environment/ Sr. management is awful
Sr. Payroll Analyst/Team Lead, Franchise Payroll (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 September 2016
Salary is not competitive for the amount of work you are expected to do. The Sr. Management in the payroll department is awful, horrible to work with. Middle management isn't much better with the exception of one but one out of 3 isn't reason enough to stay.
A great place to work
Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON15 November 2016
Very proactive company that has dealt with issues head on and invested in the future.
A great place to work that promotes individual growth and supports employees of all ages.
The hardest and most enjoyable part of retail is the customers.
The most rewarding part of the job is watching employees develop and prosper.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Working Stats
Its Okay
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 May 2016
Everyday varies as it mostly depends on the amount of costumers. Busy days I deal with stressful time, however, I manage it simply and improve my fast working skills. I enjoy talking to costumers, and now get to know the common customers. On less busy days, I tend to volunteer to work at other departments as they always have things to do and I rather do work. I got experience in many other departments. However, the store doesn't have any benefits offered, not even discounts on anything, sometimes free food. The management is also not great and sometimes appears to be less educated.
Good money Bad job
Fork Lift Driver (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 October 2016
The money and benefits are good but the management is horrible. The union use to be good but now it is a broken union. The job for a beginner sucks cause all you do is pick orders all day and you are timed. this position has a high injury rate as it is demanding.
benefits
Cons
managment
Fun and easy going work culture
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 October 2016
I had a lot of fun working with Loblaw. They provided me with a great start to my customer service career and helped me gain a lot of experience within the company.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Compensation increase is very slow
Good working experience
Salad Bar (Former Employee) –  Miramichi, NB29 September 2016
Co-workers were friendly, early shifts. Work days went by fast. Lots of tasks to stay occupied during shifts. Rarely got to work with others. Lots of running around.
Pros
Lunch Breaks
Cons
No raises, didn't get to work with people
Excellent benefits and compensation
Demand Planner (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 September 2016
Loblaws is a company that works on developing a friendly environment for all employees. They are innovationists with new products and community care.
Pros
Benefits/stock options/culture
Cons
Large company
fun workplace
Deli clerk, Superstore (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 November 2016
nice people working with
good benefits
very trustworthy people
a lot of activities like free pizza, birthdays celebrations, christmas party, promotions, etc.
Pros
nice people