Loblaw Employee Reviews in Canada

Flexible with schedule, but awful management.
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 19, 2016
It's a job that needs experience and it helps expand your knowledge in the loss prevention field. Unfortunately the management that controls the loss prevention lacks professionalism. Bad communication and apprehension policies for both internal and external are ludicrous. As a person with many years of experience, I was disappointed.
Pros
Flexible with schedules and weekends off
Cons
Horrible communication
Lenient workplace where everyone was willing to help.
Night crew (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 22, 2016
I worked at Loblaws when I was recently out of high school, it's a good job that I would recommend to any high school graduate looking to make some extra money. The people were friendly and willing to help when you asked for it. It's always interesting to see how stores like this operate behind the scenes to stay looking kept up and fresh. Stocking shelves was basic work that doesn't need much explanation.
Pros
decent hours, clean, coworkers always willing to help
Cons
not many
Dead End Job
Sales/Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 25, 2016
There is very little opportunity to move up in the company, and the higher management tends to neglect to appreciate the staff at lower levels. The dress code is to always wear current clothing, yet you only received a partial discount on merchandise, so you end up spending a lot of money on clothing which cuts into your actual earnings substantially.

Overall Loblaw's is a very poorly managed company; I would never happily work for this company ever again.
Pros
Discount on clothes
Cons
Horrible pay, even after years of working for the company
Politics and Games
Baker (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 3, 2016
Stay far away from this company. You will not be happy here. If you are part time your hours will get cut, if you are the lowest employee you will get blamed at all the time for someone else's mistake. Managers and supervisors are useless and don't care about you at all. You will have to get in their game to be favoured. Lots of losers, cowards and lazy slackers work here especially at the bakery department. I would stay away from that department it is very abusive and defamatory place to work at and it is not for every one.
Pros
None what's so ever
Cons
Very abusive and defamatory place to work at
security
Meat Department (Current Employee) –  Collingwood, ONApril 12, 2016
Loblaws is a great place to work for, employees are great and very friendly. the only problem I have with Loblaws. there is no job security there. they only once in 3 months gave me 40 hrs. and every week after and before is either 12 hrs. a week or 9 hrs. a week. this isn't a job security job. nor you can even pay your bills or even a bill with that amount. dis satisfied on that part. if you are considering a job with Loblaws in Collingwood, may want to think again if you need hours.
Pros
very friendly
Cons
not enough hours
Great place to work with helpful staff.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bradford, ONApril 11, 2016
The day would start with a thorough check on safety products, cleanliness of workplace and stocking of shelves where necessary. This would continue throughout the day whenever possible (not serving customers).

My co-workers were always helpful and friendly and so was the management staff.

The hardest part of the job was lifting heavy boxes and the cold room.

The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with people (customers and staff).
Pros
Clean workplace and great staff
Cons
Irregular hours.
I enjoy what I do. I get to help people every day
Full Time Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONApril 8, 2016
A typical day involves a lot of walking and talking. I have learned some "go-to phrases" that help deal with difficult customers. Management is lacking in delegation and has difficulties doing the job on her own. The hardest part of the day is working with my department manager. She cannot cope and our work bottle necks at her end. The most enjoyable part of my day is when our customer walks away with a smile on their face.
Great co-workers, always something to do.
Click and Collect (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONApril 3, 2016
I would gather orders people placed online and gather their desired items. I would bag and ring up the items and organize the bill and how they would be paying.
I learned how to organize my time better and how to deal with stressful situations.
The hardest part was dealing with customers. As much as I loved this job, there were some customers I felt uncomfortable serving.
Most enjoyable part of the job was being given the time to work independently as well as work as a team.
Not the best place to work
GM/Electronics Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 31, 2016
Cons

- ALWAYS cutting hours.

- Extremely low hours.

- Management is unsupportive and they don't care, zero leadership. Abusive.

- Overworked with unreasonable amount of workload even during high traffic seasons/holidays.

- Hold you responsible for not fulfilling their unreasonable demands due to their incompetence and lack of management and leadership skills.

- Only 10% discount on certain products

Pros

- Coworkers

- Decent benefits
productive and fun workplace with wonderful coworkers
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 19, 2016
A typical day at work would be separating the skids and work harmony load to shelves in the health and beauty department. Everyday I learn the new items that come in from the delivery load. The hardest part would have to be pulling the loads over to my department with the pump trucks but the most enjoyable part would be working alone at night as I work the nightshift so the store is closed.
Nice work environment and coworkers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 21, 2016
A typical day at work would consist of punching into work and either having a bagging or cashier shift. It is typically a 4 hour shift. What I dislike about the store is their disorganization. Throughout the day as a cashier, we deal with a few wrong price tags resulting in free products. My co-workers are awesome and always happy. Everyone gets along greatly. The job is very simple and it is fun to interact with customers. I would like a few more hours in order to pay for my schooling but Loblaw's is constantly hiring new people, resulting in everyone else getting fewer hours, which i don't appreciate.
Pros
Fun and enjoyable environment
Cons
Not enough hours
Watch yourself - especially if you're not part of the "in crowd"
manager (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 8, 2016
They are a good employer overall but once you get to the age of 50, count your days. They terminate long term employee affecting pensions and benefits of tenured/mature workers. As for promotions, this will work if you are part of the team that likes you or you latch on to someone that's rising in the company.
Pros
Experience, many areas to work in
Cons
lack of help and true opportunity
Fun place to work, good enivronment and very flexible
Flow Operations Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 18, 2016
At Loblaws as a flow operations clerk there was a lot to learn because there are so many different types of jobs to do and there are 2 different departments in the flow department. There can be jobs you may need to do in the dairy cooler for example, filling eggs and milk or bring out grocery skids and making displays or filing shelves.
Pros
Constant work to keep worker busy
Cons
As a part timer, not many hours and not very consistent
Excellent employees and atmosphere.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONApril 24, 2016
I loved the people I worked with and I enjoyed coming to work everyday due to everyone's cheerful attitude.I feel as if the training provided was very good, and I was comfortable asking questions when I did not understand anything. The mangers were also very personable and I feel that if I had a personal problem I would be able to go and talk to one of them in confidence.
Successful team Building
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  AntigonishMarch 13, 2016
Enjoy the engagement with the people on a daily basis. Like the challenge of getting entire team headed in the same direction.

Most frustrating thing about my job is the hiccups and set backs in regard to the team direction.

what I learned....

The biggest win for me is the process of giving respect and doing for others first. Then once the relationship is established asking for the same in return.
Pros
Excellent respectful culture
Cons
Health Care change less coverage
Productive and fun working environment
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 26, 2016
My team members were fun to work with, we look forward every day to go to work. The environment was great and the managers were always their for both internal and external customers. I would recommend National Housing Trust to anyone in Jamaica who wants to work in an environment that makes you happy to work in.
Benefits
Cons
I dont know of any at this moment
Productive and fun.
Collector (Former Employee) –  11 RedwayMay 3, 2016
Typical day at work would consist of collecting groceries for people and checking off whether we were able to collect all of them or not.

Learned a lot about the differences in brands and how to know which items to correctly pick out by analyzing expiry dates etc.

Co-workers were fantastic, extremely well-mannered and very friendly.

Hardest part if the job was the shortage of staff that resulted in people having to stay for extended shifts and no breaks were utilized (including paid breaks) sometimes due to how busy it was.

Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to communicate with the other divisions with the Loblaw store since we would have to go to each individual sector to get the required groceries.
Pros
Clean store, paid breaks and also the enviornment
Cons
Extended shifts and poor shift management.
Simple work and good learning experience with good co-workers
Frontend Store Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 14, 2016
I found working at Loblaws rarely to be overly demanding but also rarely a boring slow day. What was asked of me was never to difficult but there was enough to sustain a good day whether it was stock, grocery, or carts. I learnt how to deal with all types of people such as customers, and high up managers, as well as be respectful, attentive, and act professional. The management was always nice but would not hesitate to tell you what you are doing wrong or discipline you. The hardest part of the job is customer service due to the fact that some customers may be rude or disrespectful but at the end of the day you must always be polite and act professional. The most enjoyable has to be the camaraderie and good times with co-workers.
Love the company, I was just in the wrong department
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 20, 2016
- a typical day at work had a variety of tasks to do and days went by quickly, it was nice working with customers
- I learned valuable customer service skills and retail experience
- my co-workers were great, no complaints
- the hardest part of my job was maintaining my speed, which I wasn't able to do
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
dealing with customers
Productive, and helpful staff
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 11, 2016
very hard and cold work environment but excellent at gaining muscles and also good exercise. the electric pallet jack was very enjoyable to drive around the warehouse. The management were very respectful and helpful all around. The hardest part about the job was being able to lift boxes inside the freezer only because it was very cold temperature. My co-workers i got along with good. The most enjoyable part of working there was mostly driving the electric pallet jack.
Pros
Pros: driving electric pallet jack, free fruits at lunch break.
Cons
10 hour shift, working inside the freezer.