Loblaw Employee Reviews

Found 1,293 reviews matching the search
A good company
Staff Pharmacist (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC22 April 2017
provides work life balance even one of the busiest pharmacy in British Columbia. Nice supporting staff and ample opportunity to learn as current medical clinic proximity with pharmacy.
Pros
Lunch breaks
Cons
Quick paced, serious about guidlines
Shelf Stocking Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 April 2017
Loblaw is the literal meaning of there's a place for everything, and everything is in it's place. The training is clear as to how they want shelves stocked and organized, and the work is quick. It's still a relaxed environment with who you work with so most of the time, it doesn't even feel like work.
Pros
Long shifts
Cons
Tired and sore at the end of the shift
Productive and Fun wokrplace
Warehouse Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK19 April 2017
Loblaw is Food distribution company based in Regina. A typical day at Loblaw will start with a quick huddle to talk about the number of cases that we are expected to ship and receive from this shift.
Pros
decent wages, paid for over performing
opening/closing
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON18 April 2017
working as a student helped with extra money for school supplies and extra activity spending
greeting patients
opening and closing of department
lock up
It was alright
Volunteer Experiences (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC18 April 2017
A normal day at work would be to come get ready and start bagging groceries. I learned how to endure standing on my feet for long hours and how to use my logic to bag the groceries.
Productive and clean workplace
Salad bar Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dixie road, Pickering17 April 2017
The workplace was very nice and clean
Management was great, cooperative, nice and polite
The most enjoyable part of the job is to decorate fruits and vegetables
The Longer you stay, the better it gets
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 April 2017
It's a long way to get past minimum wage and the pay increase has nothing to do with how you work -- it is based on the amount of hours you work only.

If you do happen to get a full-time job with Loblaw, it is an awesome job -- good benefits, pay, security, etc.,
Pros
10 percent discount after 6 months
Cons
Pay increase takes a long time for part time work
Great job for students looking for a stress free environment, flexible hours and great benefits.
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON16 April 2017
Unionized, great benefits, and flexible schedule.

The company is flexible and understands that school comes first. They do their best to accommodate you.

The union works well to ensure everyone is treated fairly and everyone is the same opportunities to advance.

Benefits are very good, helps take odd stress of having to worry about unforeseen financial circumstances.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Have to be available all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
I don't care to much for working in the cold
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON12 April 2017
My experience working with loblaws was interesting. I got to meet a lot of fun and outgoing co-workers.
I dislike the freezer department due to the cold temperatures. My favorite department was grocery side. I loved working on grocery side for the reasons being there was always a steady work flow and makes the time fly by, before you know it your shift is done and it's time to go home.
Pros
If we worked for the month accident free, all the employees were treated to a free lunch... usally pizza
Cons
Dont like the cold freezes. Not fun going from freezer side to grocery side
Nice environment to work in
Cashier, Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 April 2017
Generally a nice, friendly environemnt.
Okay hours
Not everyone gets along
Work is straight forward
Management is not always up to par
Organized
Generally clean environment
hours
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB11 April 2017
Not enough hours. Pay is not enough for the work you do. Always something to do when working, but expected to do more. Employees are covered by a union.
Fun work place
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS11 April 2017
Friendly people and easy going management.. The hardest part of the job was none it was to easy. I loved working there and I always got along with other people.
Pros
Free stuff
Cons
Lack of work
Revolving door
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 April 2017
Typical day includes cleaning, stocking, assisting customers by carrying out their groceries. The sheer volume of these carry-out requests means that real job responsibilities will not be addressed. No advancement opportunities until your boss leaves for another opportunity. A real den of the incompetent.
Pros
Unionized
Cons
Unionized, so you will be required to fire many people just before they come off probation.
Loblaws
Cashier, and Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  65 Isabella8 April 2017
Initially a great place to work. The fellow co-workers are a so sweet, and the union will almost always have your back. As for the management, while most of the other departments are run by friendly faces I would avoid working in the front end.
Loblaws great food is not an ideal place to work for anybody.
worker (Current Employee) –  North York8 April 2017
A typical day at work is no standard for work, workers can do whatever they want, of course, it must obey one rule, using more time to do less job.

What I learnt from my store is how to become a lazy worker if I want to . Nobody will respect a hard worker there, when they say you are a hard worker, good job, that means they are going to push you to do more and more.

Management in absolutely poor, in my work place, basically is a double standards work place. Lazy workers can become more lazy, management will never talk with them about their lazy, but hard workers are required to do more. Workers come in to work late day after day, month after month is allowed. Because management team like him/her. Mangers/supervisor never focus on the store operating problems, they are covering with each other. Only one thing can make store management team get nervous, that is a big walk in the morning.

Workplace culture is selfish, everybody working is just for their own convenience. Says, empty skids putting everywhere.
The hardest part of the job is nothing, because the store management team is not using there intelligent to improve the running of the store, instead, they use their intelligent to maximize their personal profit only, likes cutting hours/manpower to save more money so as to increase their bonus.

This is a fresh example to show how evil they are. Our night crews need working on Good Friday night, regular start hour is 11:00 pm, they do not want to pay for the double pay, so they make change the schedule, switch the start hour from 11:00 pm to 0:00 am, and just
  more... for one day, this is what a typical evil way to take money from low income level family. Children from these family may wait for this extra money for something, but now children have to lose their hope.

I have been working in this store for more than 10 years as part time, unfortunately, I still not found any enjoyable part of my job. I keep working here because of the benefit and money that I need to support my family.

Comment – 9 April 2017

One of the critical point that why store management team not using their intelligent to improve the store business, because they have to move to other store for every there years (or longer), once the store business is improved, also is the time for them to move,
this make them have to intention to improve the store business, instead, they prefers cutting the budget (workers' hour/ manpower) as much as they can, so as to maximize the profit (bonus).

Comment – 11 April 2017

Basically, Loblaw is a one of the company that have no improvement over the last 20 years, the method they used in operation is so old. Before, they tried to use a method called flow to speed up night crews to crash the orders, but failed. Here I give some example to show how their operation and management fall behind in modern industry.

1. Regular refill order
Frozen Products:
Different departments' product are mixing together. In a skid, there may have seafood, bakery, meat & grocery product together, they have to spend time to sort them out. When one department need to take out product, they have to spend extra work load to sort the products first, this made nobody willing to be the first party.
Have suggested that different department's products should be prepared in separated skids first, at the last moment when still some products for different departments, then mixes them together in the last skids. But management have no interest to respond.

Non frozen food Products:
Products are for the aisles, once the order come into the store, they may be 15 or 20 skids, the most stupid things is they have to spend 2 to 3 hours to spread the products onto the floor each time, the speed of spreading is affecting the numbers of products can be refilled, but they don't care.
Have suggested to improve that by giving each product an aisles code, when order is going to prepare in warehouse, products showing on the picking order is aisle by aisle, that means products will be picked in the same skids first, at the last moment when still have some, then mix with others.

2. Weekly  more... on sale items
These items used to be order in huge quantity, unfortunately, they are mixed with regular refill order. It is difficult to understand that why these weekly special item can be prepared in separated skids, give an example, say there are 50 boxes of pizza for weekly promotion, and this 50 boxes of pizza never be prepared in a single skid, they will be packed in 5 or 6 skids that mix up with other product.

There are so many example can be told to show how out dated operation they are.
Low level worker's suggestion never be listened or considered. Management team thinks that you guys are low level worker just need to work as slaves, have no qualification to talk about improvement.

Productive and fun place to work
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  mississauga7 April 2017
A very professional team of hard working pharmacists and technician. They provide the best care for the patients, and put their customers needs and comfort first.
i was an butcher at loblaws for 4 year
ON M4M 3H9 - Butcher/ meat clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 April 2017
i worked there for 4 years at first it was great then they cut hours to 5 10 a week it was impossible to live almost any one that works there has to work a couple jobs and they under pay they want more then they pay the will make part timers do a mangers job all due to poor management it is sad to say the truth made lots of friends but the job it self was a waste of time..
Pros
free meals
Cons
poor management
Great for part time work
Floral Clerk (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON6 April 2017
As a former employee working with loblaw I found it great for me going to school and being part time. Personally I wouldn't be able to do customer service full time. But for those who are good at it and have the right attitude I highly recommend working here. I had a great experience at the Zehrs I worked at, accommodation was great for me as a student. I can work with anyone so co workers weren't an issue.
Pros
Good environment
A nice company with opportunity to grow
Bilingual SAP TRAINING SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 April 2017
Great place to work, however it is overwhelming with so much expectations and lots of long hours with no compensation in overtime or pay, however opportunity for growth
Fun work place, Unfortunate that it was too far from home
o Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 April 2017
It was a very nice, work place, I got along with everybody, and my job was really great, the only thing is was that the job was really far from my house, that is what made it unfortunate, because I could get to the job, but the fact that I had an evening shift which was from 4:30pm to 1am made it extremely difficult for me to get back home as I would always miss the last bus to catch and ened up taking the taxi back home. Other than that I would have stayed at that job for way longer.
Pros
Nice working companions
Cons
The place was just too far

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Loblaw. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval