Loblaw Employee Reviews

Found 1,253 reviews matching the search
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Wasaga Beach, ON27 January 2017
I now work for The Real Canadian Superstore in Wasaga Beach. I think I was very lucky to get this job.
There is a great attitude in this store. Everyone I have met thus far are very friendly and helpful.
I like the benefits i will get once I am past my probationary period.
It's hard to tell who management are in our store, they don't make a big deal of it, and work just as hard as the rest of us.
I love the contact with our customers, and have a great time helping them both spend, and save money.
I have nothing but positive things to say about them, and hope that one of you will be as lucky as I am.
The hardest part, well I haven't found a hard part yet.
Pros
Benefits, employee discount card, free stuff
Garbage
Assistant store manager (Former Employee) –  Bayview Village, ON27 November 2016
I was working night crew and always expecting more with less paid, benefits are garbage for part time.managers are ok, supervisors and high rank bosses not even good morning. Human resource should be doing something about LOBLAWS. I I had the power will put then out of Bussines. I finally find the place to put a review and hopping people listen and stop working for them, make them rich,WHY? They don't care about you missing New Years with your kids, only about you working like mad man. Hope people can hear me out Loblaws is not what they think it is.it is not the only job you are goin to find in your life. Today I am working at a better place far from junior and his clan
Pros
Employees are good people but scare of losing job
Cons
Bad company to work, won't recommend even if is the only one out there
Very fast and fun working environment
Pharmacy Assistant Student (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC2 March 2017
Working in this place has been like my training ground. I learned a lot of things. Staffs here are very approachable, never hesitated to teach you new additional stuffs. They are very patient to me. I also observed that they really can handle customers under pressure very well. Well, I may have a hard time understanding how the customer's third party benefits work, but I know just more practices, then everything will surely be clear to me. I really enjoy packaging, labelling, doing the dispensing and blister packing.
Pros
good working environment
Cons
very fast pace
Lots of good memories about this job.
Assistant Grocery Department Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, AB13 November 2016
The work was much more physically strenuous than my current job, but by the same token duties were much clearer and, indeed, the accomplishment of duties was also much more clearly appreciated. Advancement was never guaranteed, but chances were that you would only lose your job if you were doing an explicitly poor job with relation to expectations. Expectations were different depending on the age and health of specific staffers as far as job security goes, but not very different when it came to the consideration of advancement. Those who did the most and understood the most were the ones who were promoted.

Wages went up at set intervals as part of the union structure, but separate from that wages also went up with respect to promotions. Good work could equate to a sooner raise in a very literal sense, granting some limitations unfortunately in place due to union negotiations. Benefits included health coverage as well as a 10% employee discount after six months on the job.
Pros
Excellent management, clear sense of expectations and purpose.
Positive work environment. Good salary and benefits
Registered Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON2 March 2017
Very busy. Working with a diverse population which is great. The health benefits are excellent. I learned a lot they always provide continuing education. The hardest part is not having enough staff . The enjoyable part is having a great relationship with colleagues.
Pros
Benefits Pension Company shares
Cons
Terrible shift times no work life balance
Awful
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario10 November 2016
Once in management your salary is not increased for at least one year with no benefits. So I was making slightly more than a cashier but managing a department with increased workload and responsibility. Made to feel unappreciated as I was told I could be replaced at any time and I should appreciate the opportunity afforded me .Management is unapproachable and distant with no negotiations. Expected to work extra hours with no extra pay.
Pros
Likable coworkers
Cons
Long hours for little pay
Terrible !
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 March 2017
This company breaks every single labour law , violates every Human right and HR is no help . In appropriate behaviours everyday. Low morale . BRUTAL !
Pros
Benefits, once in a while you can find a good co worker, good deals on products .
Cons
Long hours, impossible expectations, harassment, No support from HR, Every man for themselves, No compassion for people with disabilities .
Merchant (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 November 2016
Overall the Loblaw's office is great place to work. They treat their employees well and offer advancement opportunities. Benefits are great which include 100% coverage on medication at Loblaw pharmacies. 50% off glasses on top of what is provided on benefits.
Culture at the top is still an "old boys club' mentality.
Pros
benefits, stock options
Cons
long hours expected, still an old boys club at the top
Productive and good management
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK20 November 2016
lifting goods and organizing good and operates forklift and other machines is a typical day at work, lifting heavy goods is quiet tiring but time passes so quickly that you couldn't notice that the working hours was ended because of good relationship with co-worker and because of teamwork that makes the job enjoyable. The benefits is good and the management has considerations.
Pros
free snacks if zero accident in a month
Not impressed with this company
FT Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 March 2017
Poor Management.
Pay compensation is extremely low for the job functions in some departments.
Poor safety culture
People with strong skills not recognized and given the opportunities for advancement in a reasonable time frame.
Reaching quota or percentage within a supportive management
Order Assembler (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 December 2016
Preparing stocks from different supermarkets and hit the target quota for your performance. Management is very supportive for every new colleague. My co-workers are supportive as well. The hardest part of the job is that I need to hit the target quota/volume percentage every day.
Pros
Free Benefits
Cons
Reaching quota
Busy Bees sweet taste buds
Bakery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 November 2016
Early morning riser.
Prep all variety of breads buns pies all the goodies.
Place in warmers to raise the doe and pop in the ovens for the sweet smell of various berries that are AHH so good.
Cleanliness is top priority when dealing with food. Personal
Not being able to taste some of the completed pastries is really hard to resist.
Pros
Dealing with customers
Cons
No tasting
Secure Place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 March 2017
Overall Loblaws is a good company to work for, they are able to accommodate hours that are best suited for you. Furthermore, they offer benefits, and are unionized and offer a secure job placement.
Pros
Flexible with hours because of school
Cons
Shifts as early as 6:30am and as late as 11:30pm
Fun place and recognized company
Inventory Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 January 2017
The best place I have ever worked. Fun, room for growth, amazing people and staff. The DC closed in 2012 or else I would still be there. Salary is not everything and would have been happy to stay there forever if I could.
Pros
Growth and recognized company. Work perks
Cons
Nothing.
Fast pace environment, friendly staff and Customers.
Cashier, Front End Supervisor, Trainer (Former Employee) –  Isabella, MB12 September 2016
Loblaw Great Foods Isabella location is a face pace environment, took on many different positions, co-workers are the best people I have worked with. I had the best managers and mentors. Loblaw over all has been the greatest job I have ever had so far.
Pros
Amazing opportunities to move up in company, it's union, benifits
Cons
You don't get extra or raise when moving up in company and wage increase goes based on hours worked.
Challenging retail environment.
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 August 2016
Shift work up to 24-hours PT per week. No full-time (40-hour weeks).

Physically and emotionally demanding dealing with the general public.

Skills learned - dealing with the public.

Management is standard. Some good managers, some not so much. Frequent management and staff turnover.

Shifts ranged from 4 to 8 hours. Pay was low. Benefits were minimal for PT employees.

As in any retail environment, co-workers ranged from good to poor.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Low pay, PT work, no real career advancement.
A great place to work
Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON15 November 2016
Very proactive company that has dealt with issues head on and invested in the future.
A great place to work that promotes individual growth and supports employees of all ages.
The hardest and most enjoyable part of retail is the customers.
The most rewarding part of the job is watching employees develop and prosper.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Working Stats
Bullies
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE6 December 2016
Awful moral. Favouritism is rampid in this company. It's not how hard you work, it's who you know. Wouldn't work there again if it was the last place on earth.
Pros
Minimal raises
productive and fun workplace
Night crew (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 January 2017
Everybody in Loblaws are good and cooperating and the job is good at everything but salary they pay 11.40 hourly so it's not enough and especially it's part time job and I am looking for full time job with higher salary.
Starter Company, flexible P/T hours
Clerk/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 January 2017
Great for any entry level position. Flexible P/T hours, and benefits after three months. Union position w/seniority as well. Job for life if you need it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Loblaw. Our community is ready to answer.