Loblaw Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,011 reviews matching the search
Awful management
Hot Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONFebruary 15, 2016
Management was sub par. Meaning that they didn't properly know how to communicate with the union. Workers who were lazy/rude/demeaning never got fired, because they could complain to the union that they were being unfairly penalized, and then management would back off.

Although they attempted to bring an upbeat work culture into the workplace, both store managers that I worked under failed to consistently encourage the managers under them, as well as the common clerks in the store.

As is typical of retail work, the hours are long and inconsistent. The only time periods that I had hours that weren't like this were when I served as a Assistant Department Manager for a total period of a month.
Pros
Unionized
Cons
Long hours, inconsistent schedules, poor management (especially in regards to the union)
Depends on what you're looking for
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 30, 2016
Great as a start off job for part-time students. Flexible hours worked around school schedule. Not very good for advancement. Benefits only apply to full-time workers.
Pros
Schedule around your availability
Cons
Inconsistent management, no benefits for part-timers
Great work environment and people. but salary and advancement could be better
Sr. Supply Chain Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 26, 2016
Great work environment and great people, but job advancement opportunities and salary could be much better. Had excellent coworkers on my team and loved the culture and work space, but work is a but work can be routine and there isn't any clear advancement structure.
Not the best place to work
GM/Electronics Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 31, 2016
Cons

- ALWAYS cutting hours.

- Extremely low hours.

- Management is unsupportive and they don't care, zero leadership. Abusive.

- Overworked with unreasonable amount of workload even during high traffic seasons/holidays.

- Hold you responsible for not fulfilling their unreasonable demands due to their incompetence and lack of management and leadership skills.

- Only 10% discount on certain products

Pros

- Coworkers

- Decent benefits
Great Company With Some Flaws
Production Designer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 5, 2016
There are so many great things overall that makes you proud to work there. Really loved the products that were produced and the generosity generated with the social climate (especially PC Children's Charity).

The working organization is so large it doesn't always know what the left hand is doing from the right. Might be something that can't be solved. Processes were greatly missing from my day to day experiences.

Great benefits and pay but struggles with bureaucracy. Work/life balance depends greatly on your manager. Some really awesome people peppered in with the not so great people.

Overall I really liked my job, but the lack of processes was the biggest struggle.
Pros
Amenities on site, Global Positioning, Bonuses
Cons
Lack of Process, Bureaucracy
Fun Place to Work
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 24, 2016
Good place to work, good working culture, lots of benefits and great people. Work life balance can be difficult depending on volume of work In addition, company should invest in more corporate training.
Pros
Subsidized lunches
Cons
departments operating in silos
Little respect, overworked, no advancement
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 29, 2015
8 years working night shift. There is VERY LITTLE respect towards crew from management to supervisors. No acknowledgment for your hard work. "Good" and "fast" persons are overworked and put in the heaviest aisles while the lazy people are put in the slowest aisles with no training or reprimands for slacking off 75% of their shift, while the hard working employees are actually bashed on for not doing a good enough job!! Hitting a promotion is like winning the lottery...don't count on it.

Continuous payroll problems! They don't listen or abide by contract. No weekends off.

Supervisor turn over is tremendous. Hardly ever train and promote within and always hire or relocate from outside sources or other stores.

Always trying to win the "lowest wage race" or "race to the bottom" like Wal-Mart. Which leads to job insecurity.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Overworked, no respect, no advancement, gaps between employee workloads
Fast paced and demanding
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 21, 2016
Long hours of work
Expected overtime with no extra pay
Good Pay and benefits
Complicated Politics
High Expectations to deliver results
Pros
Good bonus system
Cons
Very Political
Awesome!!!Wow!!!!
sales representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto WEST CORP CDecember 17, 2015
Learning something new everyday is my motive.
Treat others with respect and be polite.

For the past 8+ years in the merchandising and marketing business, I have not only improved in positions but have learned to improve my skills everyday and learn new ideas. Working independently and as a team player comes a great part within myself. I like to work in a clean environment and I like to keep it that way.

Meeting new people and interacting with customers to help is the greatest smile I can put on their face and my peers.

A regular customer in a banner store will usually always remember me every time.

The hardest part of any work is attending to work on time for your scheduled shift.

Management and employers is key to the business and we should work together as a team to show competitive banners we are an environment of respect.
Worst Company Distribution Center
Reach Truck Operator/Assembler (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJanuary 8, 2016
You are just a number,and you better have a back like a twenty yr old for as long as you work here.Standards are unrealistic, warehouse is laid out beyond stupidity ( be sure to stack a thousand+ pounds of product on top of your water bottle base) for starters. Pallets look like pyramids due to unrealistic standards of assemblers rushing to get it done in time so they don't get written up,suspended,and eventually fired.The Union is useless because they are in the companies pocket.Supervisors and Management think their s**t don't stink,and they all claim to have done assembly at some point. I've seen more supervisors replaced,and upper management change names a few times in my 15+ yrs. The only reason they got into supervisor positions is because they could not do the job (that would explain the mayonaise on their chins) This companies distribution center is equivalent to a sweat shop of a third world country.
Pros
There are no Pro's about this company.
Cons
Good liars at making you feel like your a valuable employee.
high energy work enviroment. working with many colleagues and many customers daily. making for always interesting day
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 2, 2015
fun work place with supportive management. not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
Pros
learn on site and getting paid as long as you are willing, the job can be taught to you.
Cons
long hours, work/life balance was not there.
Productive Fun and challenging
Forklift Operator/Assembler (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKMarch 7, 2016
Loblaw is a great place to work, but just like every work place you have to earn the money. Work hard and you will be rewarded. You get good benefits and overall the supervisors are verry friendly and ready to work with coleagues and help them with any issues and concerns.
Pros
Friendly people and incentive for Safety
Cons
Real Hard work
Productive and welcoming workplace with children and adults.
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONNovember 29, 2015
A typical day at work for me usually involves setting up and running a kids birthday party. We prep everything for it in advance in the kitchen we have upstairs of the grocery store. We help the kids make the items on the menu that day and teach them basic kitchen skills. ex.small knife skills, measuring, cooking, baking.
I've learned a lot about cooking and baking but I've also learned how to be more confident when speaking with large groups, how to handle sales, and some computer skills as well.
The management and co-workers definitely make the job that much greater. There isn't a lot of us that work there so were all close knit. As far as my boss' management skills she could have better organization skills but for the most part she is great.
The hardest part of my job is when there are a lot of children in the room for a camp or party and things get so loud you can't help but raise your voice. I wish there was a better way to communicate with them when they are all talking and being loud.
At the end of the day the most enjoyable part of my job is working with people and getting to see the happiness on their faces when they see the delicious food we helped them create.The satisfaction of the customer is always the priority so it is an amazing feeling knowing you met the standards.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Long hours with short breaks
Simple work and good learning experience with good co-workers
Frontend Store Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 14, 2016
I found working at Loblaws rarely to be overly demanding but also rarely a boring slow day. What was asked of me was never to difficult but there was enough to sustain a good day whether it was stock, grocery, or carts. I learnt how to deal with all types of people such as customers, and high up managers, as well as be respectful, attentive, and act professional. The management was always nice but would not hesitate to tell you what you are doing wrong or discipline you. The hardest part of the job is customer service due to the fact that some customers may be rude or disrespectful but at the end of the day you must always be polite and act professional. The most enjoyable has to be the camaraderie and good times with co-workers.
A great place to work
Manager, Space Planning Analytics (Former Employee) –  Brampton, OntarioOctober 19, 2015
It was a great place to work with good management and ample opportunities for growth within the organization. I have progressed through various roles while working for Loblaw which made me develop a vast set of skill set like supply chain management, warehouse management, data building and analytics to name a few. The most exiting part about my roles were ability to work in a team environment which made me learn new skills and software. Unfortunately, I was laid off due to a restructuring in our department which ended my run at Loblaw. Having said that, I am looking for new opportunities in other organizations so I can learn their way of doing things as well as their culture.
Productive and fast paced environment
Supervisor, Cashier & Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pierrefonds, QCNovember 9, 2015
This is where I learned how to multitask and delegate tasks and become a supervisor. Management loved my "always kind, always wanting to do my best" attitude. I wasn't treated like a child (I was barely 20) it was nice to be treated like a person. Hardest part of the job was working at the customer service counter, multitasking while working 3 lineups, processing returns, loto tickets, incoming phone calls and regular client purchases. Most enjoyable part of the job was leaning what I was capable of and the friends I made while working at Loblaws.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
salary, not enough hours.
One of the worse
Design and Database Architect (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 16, 2016
One of the worse places that I ever worked at as a FT ..

Management generally don't care about their staff .. in it for themselves ..
Pros
Good pay
Cons
very high turn over .. no job security .. you are just a number
Productive and fun place with professionalism towards the improvement of retail industry
Industrial Engineer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 26, 2015
Fun workplace with supportive management. Lots of teamwork. High Management concerned about everyone´s ideas and professional growth. Encouragement to develop your career towards your personal balanced lifestyle
Pros
Additional health and dental benefits
Cons
I had to leave to take care of my young children
Loblaws
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 1, 2016
When i first started at Loblaws a year ago , it was fun learning new things and having the experience of working in a grocery store .. a year later , things changed and it became a very disorganized work environment. They work the part time staff with NO hours .. they over work all the employees. Their logic is just pathetic , people complain on a daily basis even the employees. Loblaws is a terrible work place now , i don't understand why are they giving part timers who are students who need money , only 2 shifts a week? and having the dumb " total numbers of hours " for each department ? It's just ridiculous. Another thing , They expect so much to be done in a certain amount of time during a shift , but how is it possible when they are not allowed to have more then one staff on in an department? And we are getting paid not enough , when some people are having to work a three person job alone and keep the customers happy. It doesnt make sense... Loblaws needs to get their prioritize straight!.
Pros
Free lunches on special occasions
Cons
long hours, over worked staff, not high enough pay
Not a great place
Transportation Planner (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 8, 2016
Poor management, no benefits (contracted through protemps) with no moving up or being hired on in the near future after 2 years of being here.
Cons
Your days could be between 4 hours and 12 - theres no way to tell