Loblaw Employee Reviews

Found 1,126 reviews matching the search
Lots of good memories about this job.
Assistant Grocery Department Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, AB13 November 2016
The work was much more physically strenuous than my current job, but by the same token duties were much clearer and, indeed, the accomplishment of duties was also much more clearly appreciated. Advancement was never guaranteed, but chances were that you would only lose your job if you were doing an explicitly poor job with relation to expectations. Expectations were different depending on the age and health of specific staffers as far as job security goes, but not very different when it came to the consideration of advancement. Those who did the most and understood the most were the ones who were promoted.

Wages went up at set intervals as part of the union structure, but separate from that wages also went up with respect to promotions. Good work could equate to a sooner raise in a very literal sense, granting some limitations unfortunately in place due to union negotiations. Benefits included health coverage as well as a 10% employee discount after six months on the job.
Pros
Excellent management, clear sense of expectations and purpose.
Merchant (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 November 2016
Overall the Loblaw's office is great place to work. They treat their employees well and offer advancement opportunities. Benefits are great which include 100% coverage on medication at Loblaw pharmacies. 50% off glasses on top of what is provided on benefits.
Culture at the top is still an "old boys club' mentality.
Pros
benefits, stock options
Cons
long hours expected, still an old boys club at the top
Awful
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario10 November 2016
Once in management your salary is not increased for at least one year with no benefits. So I was making slightly more than a cashier but managing a department with increased workload and responsibility. Made to feel unappreciated as I was told I could be replaced at any time and I should appreciate the opportunity afforded me .Management is unapproachable and distant with no negotiations. Expected to work extra hours with no extra pay.
Pros
Likable coworkers
Cons
Long hours for little pay
Challenging retail environment.
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 August 2016
Shift work up to 24-hours PT per week. No full-time (40-hour weeks).

Physically and emotionally demanding dealing with the general public.

Skills learned - dealing with the public.

Management is standard. Some good managers, some not so much. Frequent management and staff turnover.

Shifts ranged from 4 to 8 hours. Pay was low. Benefits were minimal for PT employees.

As in any retail environment, co-workers ranged from good to poor.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Low pay, PT work, no real career advancement.
Open and inclusive work environment
Co-op Office Admin trainee (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON20 October 2016
A typical day at work comes across as fun-filled work environment with an open culture. Time management has been my biggest learning amongst a extremely promising talent pool. The most enjoyable part of the job was the employee engagement initiatives as part of what is called within Loblaws as the "Blue culture" as well the phenomenal product promotion deals for Loblaw employees!
garden center is a fun place to work
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON1 June 2016
A typical day at work would be asking management what task to start off with and continues do to each task after each one is done.

What I learned is patience with customers in upsetting situations and how to deal with the matter.

Management works with me most of the time to help me focus on what needs to be done and how it will be done.

Co-workers are friendly and always helpful.

Hardest part of the job is managing an irate customer who argues your aid on the problem your dealing with.

Most enjoyable part of the job is working with a pleased customer who trusts your aid.
Pros
free lunches sometimes
Cons
slow salary raises
Excellent
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 October 2016
Able to manage the work life balance effectively and efficiently and the management is always there to assist you with your career advancement as long as you are motivated and dedicated to what you do. However, don't let anyone take you for granted at the same time.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Excessive work may lead to burning you out
Bad work environment/ Sr. management is awful
Sr. Payroll Analyst/Team Lead, Franchise Payroll (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 September 2016
Salary is not competitive for the amount of work you are expected to do. The Sr. Management in the payroll department is awful, horrible to work with. Middle management isn't much better with the exception of one but one out of 3 isn't reason enough to stay.
Lack of objective
Sr. Manager (Former Employee) –  Brampton3 October 2016
This is most definitely a constructive criticism. Although I had a great experience working at Loblaw Companies, it would be very helpful if management would take their objectives seriously, make them measurable and hold all levels of staff accountable to ensure positive results. It appears that there's a true and honest (even eager) desire to change the culture and get staff onboard but you cannot expect different results by making same mistakes.
Pros
Great facility (Headoffice)
Cons
Big egos easily bruised, too much hidding behind titles
Fast pace environment, friendly staff and Customers.
Cashier, Front End Supervisor, Trainer (Former Employee) –  Isabella, MB12 September 2016
Loblaw Great Foods Isabella location is a face pace environment, took on many different positions, co-workers are the best people I have worked with. I had the best managers and mentors. Loblaw over all has been the greatest job I have ever had so far.
Pros
Amazing opportunities to move up in company, it's union, benifits
Cons
You don't get extra or raise when moving up in company and wage increase goes based on hours worked.
Productive and good management
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK20 November 2016
lifting goods and organizing good and operates forklift and other machines is a typical day at work, lifting heavy goods is quiet tiring but time passes so quickly that you couldn't notice that the working hours was ended because of good relationship with co-worker and because of teamwork that makes the job enjoyable. The benefits is good and the management has considerations.
Pros
free snacks if zero accident in a month
Reaching quota or percentage within a supportive management
Order Assembler (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 December 2016
Preparing stocks from different supermarkets and hit the target quota for your performance. Management is very supportive for every new colleague. My co-workers are supportive as well. The hardest part of the job is that I need to hit the target quota/volume percentage every day.
Pros
Free Benefits
Cons
Reaching quota
Great co-workers and unique work environment at Loblaws MLG
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 August 2016
The Loblaws I worked at previously is known as the company's "flagship store"; so as you'd imagine a typical day was usually pretty interesting to say the least. With a grocery store of 30+ aisles, and over a hundred employees you're constantly meeting new people, both customers and co-workers, and having new interactions all the time.
One great example of this was a senior German couple - the husband spoke no English, and the wife only a few words. I stood with the couple for around 5 minutes trying to understand what they needed, and then the wife goes "is there anyone who speaks German"; so I go over the PA of the store and call for an associate fluent in German. The associate arrives, speaks with the couple briefly, and then informs me that all they needed was for me to help them out of the store to the front entrance. I gladly accompany the couple to the exit, say goodbye and carry on with my daily duties.

That is just one of many unique customer interactions to be had at the Loblaws "flagship store"
Pros
great deals on groceries, free food fresh made in-store, great co-workers/management
Cons
long hours, cold + wet work areas (meat dept)
Awful management
Hot Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON15 February 2016
Management was sub par. Meaning that they didn't properly know how to communicate with the union. Workers who were lazy/rude/demeaning never got fired, because they could complain to the union that they were being unfairly penalized, and then management would back off.

Although they attempted to bring an upbeat work culture into the workplace, both store managers that I worked under failed to consistently encourage the managers under them, as well as the common clerks in the store.

As is typical of retail work, the hours are long and inconsistent. The only time periods that I had hours that weren't like this were when I served as a Assistant Department Manager for a total period of a month.
Pros
Unionized
Cons
Long hours, inconsistent schedules, poor management (especially in regards to the union)
Working for Loblaws rewarding
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 August 2016
My day at Loblaws started off by clocking in at the time clock,making sure I have my vest, name tag,pens and other things associated for work.I learned how to ring in the groceries fast and efficient,the management were easy to get along with so were my co-workers,the hardest part of the job was the long hours, and the most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers on a daily basis.
Pros
the interaction with the customers
Busy Bees sweet taste buds
Bakery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 November 2016
Early morning riser.
Prep all variety of breads buns pies all the goodies.
Place in warmers to raise the doe and pop in the ovens for the sweet smell of various berries that are AHH so good.
Cleanliness is top priority when dealing with food. Personal
Not being able to taste some of the completed pastries is really hard to resist.
Pros
Dealing with customers
Cons
No tasting
Finance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 October 2016
I work very independently or with minimum supervision. I have learned what team work is and how we can share and develop skills and ideas. Very supportive management and with all suggestions, training or consultation. Company has great vision and develop new processes as required in the competitive world class market.
Pros
Flexible hours to work/free coffees
Garbage
Assistant store manager (Former Employee) –  Bayview Village, ON27 November 2016
I was working night crew and always expecting more with less paid, benefits are garbage for part time.managers are ok, supervisors and high rank bosses not even good morning. Human resource should be doing something about LOBLAWS. I I had the power will put then out of Bussines. I finally find the place to put a review and hopping people listen and stop working for them, make them rich,WHY? They don't care about you missing New Years with your kids, only about you working like mad man. Hope people can hear me out Loblaws is not what they think it is.it is not the only job you are goin to find in your life. Today I am working at a better place far from junior and his clan
Pros
Employees are good people but scare of losing job
Cons
Bad company to work, won't recommend even if is the only one out there
Excellent benefits and compensation
Demand Planner (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 September 2016
Loblaws is a company that works on developing a friendly environment for all employees. They are innovationists with new products and community care.
Pros
Benefits/stock options/culture
Cons
Large company
Super cool team at the store that I work.
Perpetual Inventory Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 August 2016
The team at my store is awesome. It feels like family there.

The management team is cool too, quite approachable and very hands on in the management of the store.

The salary is low however. If you are just starting with the company you only get paid minimum wage.
Pros
10% discount card after 6 months
Cons
sometimes they cut hours. You have to have a back up job.