Loblaw Employee Reviews

Found 1,174 reviews matching the search
many opportunities
management (Former Employee) –  Innisfail, AB19 January 2017
in the management position I was in bakery as well as produce over the years.
There was always paperwork to do, customer service, product presentation, rotation, and ordering. There was a constant stream of tasks on a daily basis, and staff to train, and work with, Being a team player was a big part of the job. Always having school age employees one always needed to guide them along. There was sales projections to do displays to build, and many hours of work.
I enjoyed all challenges given to me, Micromanaging was a big part of my work that I enjoyed a great deal.
Management was the difficult part of my career, communication was a big downfall.
Pros
challenges
Cons
management
Friendly and helpful staff that look out for eachother.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON21 December 2016
Many days could feel quite boring as you spend a lot of time standing without many customers. All of my coworkers were super friendly and kind hearted and always helped me if I had to take off a shift. Management can be difficult but if you are reasonable and respectful they will be too. The hardest part of the job are the long days but the job can be fun too, especially when working with the customers. This job will show you how important patience is and will teach you to deal with difficult customers while keeping a friendly and polite demeanor.
Each day productive/challenging
Project and Budget Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 January 2017
At Loblaws, everyday was challenging! Removed roadblocks, generated multiple financial reports which included forecasting, budgeting, working with Finance team to ensure $18 million was being spent as per forecast, coordinating meetings between Sr. Managers and Sr. Directors and/or between Sr. Managers and multiple mangers of different vendors. Cost analysis of additional work, tracking change requests and work intakes, also working closely with PMO (Project Management Office).
Pros
Town Halls, free products during launch of new products
A positive environment to work in.
produce clerk (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS8 December 2016
The workplace environment could be enjoyable because of my co-workers. I learned the need to clear communication, cooperation,
and a sense of humor. The hardest part of the job was some of the technological advances required and adjustment to constant change.
The most enjoyable part of the job was repeat customers who appreciated your custormer service. I was fortunate to have personable managers who cared about their staff.
Pros
Regular pay increases and holiday pay.
Cons
Difficult to advance
fun work place with good team
Bagger/carts (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 January 2017
Typical day:
-punch in
-look over days work orders
-make sure shop is clean and safe
-start first job
-clean shop at the end of the day
- punch out

Loved the people i was working with, high energy, light harted people overall a great team to work with.
The hardest part of the job was keeping up with a very tight scedule, if there was a mistake it would throw off your time. this taught me to be quick but careful with work. the easiest way to combat is was geet it right the first time, which i prided my self on.
For me the most enjoyable part of the job was the high pressure, fassted paced working enviroment. When im focused on my job the time flyes by and i enjoy the job much more.
Pros
free oil changes and tire swaps when the shop was slow
Cons
Hour long lunches
About me an work
Customer service / cashier (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC30 November 2016
I am currently working at customer service as well as cashier price checker self check out attendant an sometimes supervising. I do enjoy my job yet have come to the point where I want weekends off with my family. I'm looking for something Wednesday Thursday an Friday.
Hardest part is the hours. So in January I will be working Monday an Tuesday. I feel like my hard work is at times over looked. I have only missed 2 days in 16 years an I have never been late.
I am hoping to find something to fill my days an to keep myself busy. I do enjoy the public yet also work very well alone.
Pros
People I work with are fun an I enjoy the customers
Cons
Work hours all over the place no balance in life
Productive and good management
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK20 November 2016
lifting goods and organizing good and operates forklift and other machines is a typical day at work, lifting heavy goods is quiet tiring but time passes so quickly that you couldn't notice that the working hours was ended because of good relationship with co-worker and because of teamwork that makes the job enjoyable. The benefits is good and the management has considerations.
Pros
free snacks if zero accident in a month
Very Dynamic fastpaced organization
Director (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 January 2017
Loblaw is a very fast paced dynamic organization. Organization is investing a lot on technology, people and processes. Management is progressive.Number of current initiatives that are currently under way will improve work life Balance in the future.
Pros
Good cheap food.dynamic technology driven environment
Cons
Location is west end. Any one travelling from East End will have it tough.
Awful
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario10 November 2016
Once in management your salary is not increased for at least one year with no benefits. So I was making slightly more than a cashier but managing a department with increased workload and responsibility. Made to feel unappreciated as I was told I could be replaced at any time and I should appreciate the opportunity afforded me .Management is unapproachable and distant with no negotiations. Expected to work extra hours with no extra pay.
Pros
Likable coworkers
Cons
Long hours for little pay
Garbage
Assistant store manager (Former Employee) –  Bayview Village, ON27 November 2016
I was working night crew and always expecting more with less paid, benefits are garbage for part time.managers are ok, supervisors and high rank bosses not even good morning. Human resource should be doing something about LOBLAWS. I I had the power will put then out of Bussines. I finally find the place to put a review and hopping people listen and stop working for them, make them rich,WHY? They don't care about you missing New Years with your kids, only about you working like mad man. Hope people can hear me out Loblaws is not what they think it is.it is not the only job you are goin to find in your life. Today I am working at a better place far from junior and his clan
Pros
Employees are good people but scare of losing job
Cons
Bad company to work, won't recommend even if is the only one out there
Merchant (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 November 2016
Overall the Loblaw's office is great place to work. They treat their employees well and offer advancement opportunities. Benefits are great which include 100% coverage on medication at Loblaw pharmacies. 50% off glasses on top of what is provided on benefits.
Culture at the top is still an "old boys club' mentality.
Pros
benefits, stock options
Cons
long hours expected, still an old boys club at the top
positive work environment
Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON20 October 2016
We have learned a new system from the Happiness Project to create a positive work environment, how to prevent inefficiencies and learn what waste was (time, movement,etc). We've tried to put a lot into practise and learn from our mistakes. I've learned that change however scary, can be a good thing. My co-workers are great and are always up for a laugh while working. I enjoy doing something the same, but different each shift. Working in the health field has taught me quite a bit about people and I find it hardest when we lose a customer to a health condition.
Open and inclusive work environment
Co-op Office Admin trainee (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON20 October 2016
A typical day at work comes across as fun-filled work environment with an open culture. Time management has been my biggest learning amongst a extremely promising talent pool. The most enjoyable part of the job was the employee engagement initiatives as part of what is called within Loblaws as the "Blue culture" as well the phenomenal product promotion deals for Loblaw employees!
Don't expect to survive past probation
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Vanier, ON13 January 2017
A few of my friends were laid off from the Loblaws in Vanier a few days before the end of probation with no valid reason. One in particular never even met the manager that called him to give him the news. I know so many other companies that does this as well, all this to say it is not fair. Do not trust overnight stock managers.
Cons
Reaching quota or percentage within a supportive management
Order Assembler (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 December 2016
Preparing stocks from different supermarkets and hit the target quota for your performance. Management is very supportive for every new colleague. My co-workers are supportive as well. The hardest part of the job is that I need to hit the target quota/volume percentage every day.
Pros
Free Benefits
Cons
Reaching quota
Busy Bees sweet taste buds
Bakery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 November 2016
Early morning riser.
Prep all variety of breads buns pies all the goodies.
Place in warmers to raise the doe and pop in the ovens for the sweet smell of various berries that are AHH so good.
Cleanliness is top priority when dealing with food. Personal
Not being able to taste some of the completed pastries is really hard to resist.
Pros
Dealing with customers
Cons
No tasting
Fast paced with decent employee benefits
Night Crew Storeperson (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 October 2016
As a member of the night crew that trained throughout the day, the expectations are certainly much higher at night than they are for crews that work during business hours. It is understandable as day crews have to deal with customer but this means that there will be a lot of rotation and organization left for the night crew.

The hardest part of the job is trying to create for the massive orders we receive leading up to holidays.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that it doesn't require much concentration so you are able to listen to audiobooks as long as you leave an ear free to listen for any communication
Pros
occasional free pizza
Cons
reluctance to hire for full time
loblaws was probably the worst work experience so far.
click and collect (Current Employee) –  Jarvis, ON3 October 2016
it is a very face pace job at times we don't have time for a break. I learned that without team work and communication it is harder to function as a whole. the management isn't the best they are very unorganized. There are some co-workers that slack more then others making the work load bigger then it has to be. The hardest part is getting everything done on time on busy days. There really isn't much of an enjoyable part of the job really.
Cons
unorganized, not a positive place, stressful
Lack of objective
Sr. Manager (Former Employee) –  Brampton3 October 2016
This is most definitely a constructive criticism. Although I had a great experience working at Loblaw Companies, it would be very helpful if management would take their objectives seriously, make them measurable and hold all levels of staff accountable to ensure positive results. It appears that there's a true and honest (even eager) desire to change the culture and get staff onboard but you cannot expect different results by making same mistakes.
Pros
Great facility (Headoffice)
Cons
Big egos easily bruised, too much hidding behind titles
Productive, the people working there are friendly.
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC2 October 2016
Superstore is a great place to start off working if this is your first job. It can teach you plenty of different skills depending on which department you're in. As a courtney clerk, I've learnt mostly people skills and how to help in anyway that I can.
Pros
Short hours, good to start off in the work place or if you're currently enrolled in school
Cons
Not a place you want to make a living out of, to low wage and takes too long to build up to anywhere.